Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #81
aussie_texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21345 aussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respectedaussie_texan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

wow. read the title thought it was some joke but.....wow

if this means keeping mario I'm all for it.

sad for EW though, he was an elite run blocker, not the best pass-blocker but overall easily a top 5 RT his going to be hard to replace but Butler played well in Browns absence so I'm not to scared atm
aussie_texan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #82
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 26584 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

Sports Radio 610 covering this as if Iraq was being bombed during the Shock and Awe campaign. Lol. They're all exasperated and out of breath.
Old 03-12-2012   #83
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

I liked Winston and can't believe they released him. Our OL was one of big strengths and I just don't know if whoever replaces him will be as knowledgeable about our scheme early in the season.
Stemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #84
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Folks have spoken about Manning bringing WR Reggie Wayne could he bring a RT?
Old 03-12-2012   #85
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Winston blew pass blocks every game, like some are saying in this thread, and his only great strength was run blocking. Leinart got drilled into the Jax turf because Winston's man flew by Winston almost untouched...Caveman got a paw on him, but it was like slapping at the guy as he went by him. I remember it vividly as CBS replayed the play Leinart was injured on.

And you know what? He WAS too concerned about his broadcasting career. Who broke the news of him being cut? He did. He couldn't even wait until it was officially released, and it looks like he's playing a victim card even if he didn't intend to. Other players might be getting cut, too, but their agent might be instructing them to not say anything until it's official or the time comes to do so. In short: Staying classy in the midst of tough times.

Winston will land somewhere. He'll have a new radio gig. He'll be fine.
Wow, this is funny cus this is my exact same opinion of him.

Still though to cut your starting RT, a RT that was part of the best OLine in the league..............It's just crazy.

OMG, what if Studdard takes his spot? (yes I know he is a guard, that's the point)

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #86
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Folks have spoken about Manning bringing WR Reggie Wayne could he bring a RT?
The tackles where part of his problems in Indy. They were working on fixing their oline issues for a while now.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #87
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

LZ on twitter says bad move if looking to resign Mario. Need to sign other olinemen. Mario is thought to be headed to Bears.

Maybe Winston wouldn't take cut.....or he wanted to do more than 300 interviews a year and wouldn't give up being Peter Kings inside source ....
Old 03-12-2012   #88
Brisco_County
Texans worthy

Rep Power: 63514 Brisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respectedBrisco_County is a quality contributor and well respected

Geez... Winston? I'm writing NASA. The Mayans were right.
Brisco_County is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #89
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Winston blew pass blocks every game, like some are saying in this thread, and his only great strength was run blocking. Leinart got drilled into the Jax turf because Winston's man flew by Winston almost untouched...Caveman got a paw on him, but it was like slapping at the guy as he went by him. I remember it vividly as CBS replayed the play Leinart was injured on.

it was duane who whiffed mr 'vivid memory'?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #90
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 100807 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

friend of mine says the Bears have cash and are pursuing hard for Mario
all I could tell him is that the Texans don't have the cash with all the pending FA coming in the next year
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #91
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

OL depth is a concern now, but other posters are right, this is the price of success.

I am just genuinely disappointed for Winston because he was really a team guy and very much wanted to be a part of the Texans' playoff success (at least he got one win).

Sign Myers and Briesel, cut Jacoby and Leinart (replace them with Delhomme and somebody who can return kicks like Eddie Royal or Dante Stallworth)... and if you can't resign Mario, make sure you get Dressen, Ward, and Allen back on the roster. They all earned their spots and give us quality depth.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #92
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80525 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nawzer View Post
Sports Radio 610 covering this as if Iraq was being bombed during the Shock and Awe campaign. Lol. They're all exasperated and out of breath.
I would like to hear that, but that would mean Josh Innes' voice infecting my ears.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #93
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThaShark316 View Post
Family, Rick Smith ain't playing!

That picture that says RESPECT MY GANGSTA is one of the funniest things I've seen in a long time.

Maybe he refused to restructure, I don't have any clue to why they would do this unless A. Rick Smith is going to whip a hell of a back up plan out of his ass that none of us have figured out as of yet B. We are really, really between the salary cap and a hard spot or C. It was Winston or Mario, no other alternative.

Now I will continue to look at that jewel of a picture w/ caption. Life is too short to pass up a good laugh, thanks Shark316.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #94
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I would like to hear that, but that would mean Josh Innes' voice infecting my ears.
Innes is off today. It is Sean Bijani filling in for him today.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #95
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He called in today...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #96
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 80525 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pantherstang84 View Post
Innes is off today. It is Sean Bijani filling in for him today.
Quote:
Originally Posted by drunkcookie View Post
He called in today...

Sweet! Thanks.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #97
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Barry Warner is the one leading the coverage, who is almost just as bad. He failed to realize Rashad Butler was still on the team and that Derek Newton was the replacement up until about 5 minutes ago.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #98
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46599 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Apparently the Texans feel that Rashad can play about as well as Winston while being a much better value. But still very surprising to say the least ?
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #99
Hagar
Drink up yall, its the Texans!

Rep Power: 8880 Hagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respectedHagar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Winston gave up 7.5 sacks this year (33 total sacks).
He gave up 9 sacks last year (32 total).

And this is worth $5.5m each of the next 2 seasons...why?
Yep

Whether or not its Butler or someone else, you have to thinkk Smithiak has a plan.

Also, a lot of people want the Texans to be more like Pittsburgh (myself included). Well the Steelers cut veteran players whose salaries are bigger than thier production all the time. So far this year the Steelers have released Hines Ward, Aaron Smith, James Farrier and Chris Kemoeatu.

I'm just happy we've finally gotten to a place were we can cut good players like Winston and have Butler step into his spot.

Good luck Caveman!
Hagar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #100
Lucky

Rep Power: 160417 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
Winston was very overrated. He seemed to care about his future in broadcasting more than improving his game. In addition to almost getting Schaub killed a couple of games.
I agree that Winston was overrated and probably overpaid. But Butler is very overrated around here. He almost got Schaub killed when subbing for Brown at LT. But, it should be an easier go for Butler at RT. All things equal, I'd rather have Winston. But they aren't equal, because Butler is paid less than half of Winston's salary.
Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL
Texans saved $4.5 million in salary cap space by releasing Eric Winston. They've restructured Andre Johnson to free up more dollars.
About a week late on that one, General.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read