Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-13-2012   #241
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

I don't like it.

He has been consistent, they better have something in the works.

In any case WHY would they cut a 5 year starter on the best O-line in the league last year before they cut Jacoby Jones!?
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #242
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

nvm
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #243
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

GOOD maybe now we wont see whoever the starting DE is this week Totally Make our RT look like hes playing on Roller skates anymore i support dis move
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #244
Exascor
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 35348 Exascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respectedExascor is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
In any case WHY would they cut a 5 year starter on the best O-line in the league last year before they cut Jacoby Jones!?
I'd suspect they cut him now out of respect. It gives him a chance to have his name out there for other teams to look at before the signing frenzy begins.
Exascor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #245
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 158648 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by imatexan View Post
I don't like it.

He has been consistent, they better have something in the works.

This is what happens when you get good . You have to decide who's the easiest to replace to pay the ones who are the hardest to replace .
Old 03-13-2012   #246
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Yeah, that's a great pitch for Manning. Come here Peyton! We promise to replace our Center, RG and RT this offseason with great guys to protect your neck!!!
May see them sign the C and RG today before deadline now that they are making room. Strange, but EW wasn't a top tier RT, just a decent player and awesome radio personality. Wish him all the best, but there seems to be a storm brewing.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #247
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston will be on the Radio later today...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-13-2012   #248
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
May see them sign the C and RG today before deadline now that they are making room. Strange, but EW wasn't a top tier RT, just a decent player and awesome radio personality. Wish him all the best, but there seems to be a storm brewing.
Here's the problem with that, the team can sign those guys before they cut Winston. If the idea was to free up room to sign those guys, they could lock down Myers and/or Brisiel before cutting Winston. As they say, bird in one hand is better than two in the bush...

I still can't believe they couldn't trade him. Even a 3rd round pick is more than you would get in comp picks, if we qualify.
Old 03-13-2012   #249
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 89251 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Here's the problem with that, the team can sign those guys before they cut Winston. If the idea was to free up room to sign those guys, they could lock down Myers and/or Brisiel before cutting Winston. As they say, bird in one hand is better than two in the bush...

I still can't believe they couldn't trade him. Even a 3rd round pick is more than you would get in comp picks, if we qualify.
Winston was overhyped by being a good interview and his performane a few years ago, but I agree that he should have been traded for something.

Me thinks he will be hanging out with Little Shanny and RG3 this year.
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #250
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I hope this is all in keeping with the master plan for this off-season, because right now it feels a little bit like they're panicking.

In reality, trading players is a rarity in the NFL, it seems as if trades need to be instigated more by the buying team than the selling team, if you shop a guy just before FA, teams know full well the chances are you'll cut that guy if they don't bite.

I find it astonishing how people think the FO should be getting draft picks for lower tier guys, the clamor to trade Slaton last season for instance, ideas that you could trade Mario despite his being out of contract. It just doesn't happen like that. Lower tier guys tend to get traded if they are a solid backup , under contract who could start for another team (K Walter, C Myers)
or a quality starter who forces a trade (C Palmer).

I think I'm going to try and stop checking till the deadline comes around anyway, its sending me crazy lol.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #251
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Did this come as a surprise? Yes, it did. However, I don't think we'll see much of a drop off from the position. He was a decent RT, but was also the weakest of the Oline.

Reason's behind his release could be one of many. Maybe he wasn't willing to restructure? Maybe he'd worn out the patience of the FO by saying things he wasn't supposed to? He was also acting as our player rep during the lockout process. Maybe he was filling our players full of BS? Who knows?

For those wanting D-Ryans cut. Doing such would only save around 900 grand. He's worth that and then some.

For those thinking we should've traded him. I believe that would've had any bonuses accelerated and not have been much of a cap savings
Old 03-13-2012   #252
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I said this a long time ago, but I don't think Briesel and Meyers will be back.

And I think Briesel will be the odd man in if they think they have someone that can succesfully make the line calls and knows what they hell they are doing there.

I don't think they are going to pay top dollar to those guys because they are largely a product of the system we run.

And I'm not saying they don't have talent. What I'm saying is that Meyers is not Mangold and Briesel is no Carl Nicks or Jahri Evans.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #253
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hervoyel View Post
I mostly agree with this with the exception of accepting that he was very good run blocking most of the time. Pass protection was an issue and it seemed like once a week this season I held my breath while he screwed the pooch trying to pass protect. Maybe it just looked so bad because Brown was having such a good year.

I think it's hard to make a case that Winston's position couldn't be upgraded or at the very least restocked for less money. He just wasn't that good. I think Butler can fill that position easily. LT is a reach for him but RT is where he came from (oddly enough Winston was a LT at Miami when Butler was starting at RT there).

I think they wouldn't have released him if they didn't think that they could survive it.
If Butler does not work out 2012 is his last contract year.
Old 03-13-2012   #254
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 143539 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
I hope this is all in keeping with the master plan for this off-season, because right now it feels a little bit like they're panicking.

In reality, trading players is a rarity in the NFL, it seems as if trades need to be instigated more by the buying team than the selling team, if you shop a guy just before FA, teams know full well the chances are you'll cut that guy if they don't bite.

I find it astonishing how people think the FO should be getting draft picks for lower tier guys, the clamor to trade Slaton last season for instance, ideas that you could trade Mario despite his being out of contract. It just doesn't happen like that. Lower tier guys tend to get traded if they are a solid backup , under contract who could start for another team (K Walter, C Myers)

I think I'm going to try and stop checking till the deadline comes around anyway, its sending me crazy lol.
Just to clarify your statement, Mario is as of now a contracted Texan. His deal ends today. He could have been traded at any time to that point.
Old 03-13-2012   #255
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 76785 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Just to clarify your statement, Mario is as of now a contracted Texan. His deal ends today. He could have been traded at any time to that point.
Well, other than the fact that the trade deadline that hits in Oct. of each league year stays in effect the remainder of the year. NFL teams can't make trades until after 3:00 (Houston time) today. That's why the Rams Redskins trade of draft picks isn't "official" until then.
Old 03-13-2012   #256
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post

Winston is 28 and was going to make 5.5 million this year and next. Since part of that was signing bonus or whatever, the next team would only be taking on 4.5 million a year for 2 years. If he signs for more than that with another team, then that team should have traded for him. Even a 4th is better than nothing for the Texans. It just seems like this didn't come up until a couple days ago, and the team lost all of its leverage for a trade. So now he's gone, and we will likely get little to nothing in return. Hopefully a comp pick, but that means we don't do anything in free agency.
Old 03-13-2012   #257
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Winston is 28 and was going to make 5.5 million this year and next. Since part of that was signing bonus or whatever, the next team would only be taking on 4.5 million a year for 2 years. If he signs for more than that with another team, then that team should have traded for him. Even a 4th is better than nothing for the Texans. It just seems like this didn't come up until a couple days ago, and the team lost all of its leverage for a trade. So now he's gone, and we will likely get little to nothing in return. Hopefully a comp pick, but that means we don't do anything in free agency.
Nope, we cut him. He wasn't a UFA.
Old 03-13-2012   #258
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Nope, we cut him. He wasn't a UFA.
Yeah you're right. It's ridiculous that we don't get anything for him.
Old 03-13-2012   #259
HoustonFrog
Chitown Frog

Rep Power: 32311 HoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respectedHoustonFrog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
If you trade him it is a bigger cap hit. Thus the release.
Old 03-13-2012   #260
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6022 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
If you trade him there is still a signing bonus cap hit. People need to get over being butt hurt about this move.

When is the last time an offensive lineman got traded for picks?
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read