Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #221
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Again, just thinking out loud on this (I tend to do that).
Again, I think you're reading too much into this. This is the same organization that produces Shaun Cody's weekly bit. Kubiak has a show on 610 every week. So does Matt Schaub. Arian Foster has maybe 2 or 3 shows on yahoo sports radio. They didn't cut him.
Old 03-12-2012   #222
Honoring Earl 34
Hey Koolaid

Rep Power: 114256 Honoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respectedHonoring Earl 34 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Again, I think you're reading too much into this. This is the same organization that produces Shaun Cody's weekly bit. Kubiak has a show on 610 every week. So does Matt Schaub. Arian Foster has maybe 2 or 3 shows on yahoo sports radio. They didn't cut him.
I bet they asked him to restructure and he said no .
Old 03-12-2012   #223
GuerillaBlack
Money!

Rep Power: 15293 GuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respectedGuerillaBlack is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They produce. Winston was starting to slip.
GuerillaBlack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #224
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225226 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
Dude you are talking to Mr. Conspiracy Theory "I own a crystal ball into the minds of everyone."

Old 03-12-2012   #225
tak3ov3r
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 tak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respectedtak3ov3r is a quality contributor and well respected

http://www.khou.com/sports/Audio-Win...142422225.html
tak3ov3r is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #226
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61321 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Honoring Earl 34 View Post
I bet they asked him to restructure and he said no .
Its been said that they told Winston that they were not going to "insult" him by asking to restructure.

Jeez. It's a kill or be killed business.
NitroGSXR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #227
Lucky

Rep Power: 103975 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GuerillaBlack View Post
They produce. Winston was starting to slip.
Agreed. Which is why it has everything to do with production/salary and nothing to do with radio shows.
Old 03-12-2012   #228
TexanBacker93
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11091 TexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanBacker93 is a quality contributor and well respected

This move worries me a little. Is he probably overrated? Yes. Did he miss blocks in the passing game? Yes. He was a great run blocker and I think an important part of the success we have had in that facet of the game. Overall, I think our line success is more about the sum of the parts than individual pieces. I hope they can find someone that can step in to that role. Maybe it will be Butler.
Old 03-13-2012   #229
Spled
All Pro

Rep Power: 51 Spled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respectedSpled is a quality contributor and well respected

The guy's been a bull for a lot of years. We better draft well.
Spled is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #230
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

This doesn't surprise me all that much when I think about it. Winston got found out early in the season and I wouldn't be surprised if it led to a change in assignments to cover his weaknesses.

He was earning quality starter money @ $5.5 whilst being pretty middle of the road at best in performance.

He's been a great guy to have around, and in my mind at least will be remembered as one of the key components in the Texans' rise from the dross but at some point you've got to move on from the guys who made a bunch of scrubs look exactly what they were and try and find someone on the same level as the rest of the team.

I've asked this question before in a Winston related thread and didn't get an answer, but am I right in thinking Butler doesn't really fit @ RT as well as he does at LT?

If thats the case i'm wondering how we fill that position, we took a guy very late in last years draft but I don't know if he's still on the team, maybe he was sick on PS all season, but I doubt it.

Is anyone capable of calming me down a little bit here though? For all that I understand them cutting these guys (EW, DR, JJ, all overpaid based on their current abilities, take injuries and radio shows out of the equation, its a fact) but these cuts suddenly coming off the back of the announcement that the cap will be lower than anticipated, are the Texans making well thought-out pre-meditated moves to help the team here, are they clearing space to make a splash...or...have they simply shot their bolt, are in cap hell, and having to cut players they'd planned on keeping around. I mean, as things stand they need to get a starting C, RG, RT signed, are relying on their depth at WR, ILB and will desperately need quality OLB depth too.

When the season ended we all thought we had no glaring needs but wouldn't it be nice if they got a decent WR?

I sure hope I've just over-reacted big time, its not the actually cuts that worry me, they are all positions where we could do better for our money, its the reasoning behind them.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #231
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
"I was surprised," he told the newspaper. "They told me they were up against it (salary cap), and they didn’t want to insult me by asking me to take a pay cut. They said they hated to do it, and maybe we could work something out, but, well, I’m just stunned. I didn’t want to leave. This just sucks."
I just don't understand this. This is a business, you ask people to restructure all the time. Why the hell wouldn't you ask Eric Winston to restructure his deal, add a year or two and spread out some money. I just don't get it.
Old 03-13-2012   #232
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

Winston was over rated by the media and his super agent. His play just wasn't up to par. Our line's performance sunk after the bye week. It wasn't all briesel, and they might have used that tape to decide Eric was even worse than they thought.

I'm fine with this. Kubiak can find new linemen.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #233
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Cody is a Texans-produced product.

The others you stated? They handle their business. Winston and David Anderson? Media clowns.

Again, like it's been said...Winston might have cared more about the off-the-field stuff and it caught up with him. With everything that surrounds him, and for what he was being paid, he didn't handle his business.

I am not saying, once again!, that he was fired directly because of his show. I am saying his show might have played a part in his declining career in Houston because he started to slip and thought he was on of Bob's kids who are never to be hassled with.

I'm not as dense as I'm being made out to be. I'm fully aware other players and the HC have media gigs.
Old 03-13-2012   #234
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I just don't understand this. This is a business, you ask people to restructure all the time. Why the hell wouldn't you ask Eric Winston to restructure his deal, add a year or two and spread out some money. I just don't get it.
He might be worse than meets the eye? Maybe his agent goofed? Or maybe the Texans felt they could save the money and start anew at RT somehow?

Lots we don't know (yet).
Old 03-13-2012   #235
JamesBill
Veteran

Rep Power: 3101 JamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respectedJamesBill is a quality contributor and well respected

His agent is Drew Rosenhaus. Also no one does more media than Winston, he has a 4 hour web show, 1-2 hour radio show. He is at best the 3rd best O-Lineman we have. Who cares.
JamesBill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #236
dream_team
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18100 dream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respecteddream_team is a quality contributor and well respected

I bet Winston gets signed by another team for more than the 5 mil he was going to make with the Texans. I can't explain it, but he is so overrated by people outside of Houston for some reason???

I'm surprised, but not too disappointed. I think Butler will finally get his shot to start in this league, and he'll play well. He's an upgrade in pass pro, but a downgrade in run blocking... definitely worth the savings.

If Winston's salary was needed in order to re-sign Myers, then I'd do this every time.
dream_team is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #237
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus was shocked:

17:50 RELEASE! And this is a real shocker. So much so that even though it comes from the twitter account of Eric Winston with heartfelt thanks to the Texan fans, you kind of think he must be pulling our leg. Winston was close to making our All Pro team at right tackle, and has been one of the most consistent right tackles in the league, earning a +31.2 grade over the past three years. That has come completely out of left field and really shakes up the offensive tackle market, with the dependable and talented Winston immediately becoming the best tackle available. For a line built on continuity that move could cause issues for the Texans.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #238
clutch
Rookie

Rep Power: 960 clutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respectedclutch is a quality contributor and well respected

Knew this would happen.. the O-line is as strong as its weakest link.. which was winston.. good move texans..
clutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #239
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by clutch View Post
Knew this would happen.. the O-line is as strong as its weakest link.. which was winston.. good move texans..
wtf ever
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012   #240
kiwitexansfan
Give'm a taste

Rep Power: 43261 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Like everyone else. WOW.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read