Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-12-2012   #181
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Eric Winston released?????

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carr Bombed View Post
P.S.
Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities, and said he's not shocked and completely understands why Winston was let go. Barry Warner... just stepped into it. Now this moron is saying he completely agrees with everything Greg Cook had to say when Warner just spent hours (along with Jerome Solomon) crying how disastrous this move is and how horrible it is for the team.

Greg Cook flat out said... at a time where Winston should've been coming into his own and entering his prime, he had his worst season ever and this is something I've talked to him about before. I don't think he was focused on honing his craft. Duane Brown has become the player who plays with the mentality and the way that they always envisioned Winston could play like.
HELLO! No chit right? I've been saying that for two freaking years!
Old 03-12-2012   #182
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

This is so weird having him cut. I mean I guess it's ok, it's not like we're trying to win a Super Bowl next year or anything....

They better have a damn good plan going forward here.
Old 03-12-2012   #183
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Don't feel totally defeated there GP... because when Yates suffered his shoulder injury (thank god it was to his non throwing arm or he would've been shelfed) Winston totally WHIFFED. You were wrong about that play, but not about the assertion that Winston was a little harmful to our QBs health last season. It wasn't that he just couldn't hold his block... when he got beat, the majority of the time his man was coming through free and untouched.

Winston was a good player though and depending on (hopefully) pending moves that help justify it, I'm going to question why he was just outright cut, but I'm also not going to sit here and pretend like he was some all world RT either. The man was a badass guard stuck out at RT. A Mauler and brawler in the running game.... sucked in pass protection, flat out embarrassed most of the times when he was beat.
I think were I got mixed up was the CBS replay, during the actual game, was more of a sideline shot on Winston's side and at the end of the play Winston sort of lets up...I guess I connected dots that were not there and thought it was a d-lineman who made it past Winston's left side while Winston took on the wrong guy who was on his right side. Anyways, I will freely admit I whiffed on that recollection!
Old 03-12-2012   #184
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
I'm sorry guys but when you give up 17 of 65 total sacks in the past 2 years AND you're getting paid $11m over the next 2 years. Adios.

Hopefully this means we keep Mario, but if not...I understand.
Assuming there are 5 positions with players getting equal number of snaps, 65 divided by 5 = 13. Got any numbers on what other guys gave up? Doesn't sound that out of the ordinary. Would love to see sacks given up by other RTs in the league as well. Without that comparative info, the stat is pretty useless.
Old 03-12-2012   #185
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
P.S.

LMAO at sports radio 610.

For freaking hours they've been trashing everybody who called in and criticized Winston or said he spent too much time in the media and they've been telling people that their "resident retired lineman" Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities, and said he's not shocked and completely understands why Winston was let go. Barry Warner... just stepped into it. Now this moron is saying he completely agrees with everything Greg Cook had to say when Warner just spent hours (along with Jerome Solomon) crying how disastrous this move is and how horrible it is for the team.

Greg Cook flat out said... at a time where Winston should've been coming into his own and entering his prime, he had his worst season ever and this is something I've talked to him about before. I don't think he was focused on honing his craft. Duane Brown has become the player who plays with the mentality and the way that they always envisioned Winston could play like.
Yeah, the radio guys fell in love with a Texans mauler that gave them the time of day...it clouds their judgment. The bromance is over.
Old 03-12-2012   #186
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Well the man pretty much just called out Winston, questioned his priorities...
I don't know about questioning the guy's priorities. Winston wasn't good enough to earn a $5.5 million salary. If he were making $2 million a year, he'd still be on the team. Quitting his radio show wouldn't have made him a $5.5 million player.
Old 03-12-2012   #187
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiasco west View Post
Well the Texans can say that but they could mean "With what we are planning to pay some of these guys, we'll be up against it." and thus release him.

Either way none of us have much of an idea what's going on. Could be they are clearing this space to sign Reggie Wayne + our linemen. Not Mario or Manning. Guess we'll find out soon though.
I see the Cardinals cut Levi Brown today.
Old 03-12-2012   #188
Lucky

Rep Power: 120321 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Evidently Smith read Solomon's article and decided to be very aggressive.
You're not serious, right? The Texans could give a sheet about what Solomon did or didn't write. Who reads Soloman, anyway?
Old 03-12-2012   #189
Pantherstang84
@rolisrgti06

Rep Power: 6021 Pantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respectedPantherstang84 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to Pantherstang84

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kimmy View Post
HELLO! No chit right? I've been saying that for two freaking years!
Kimmy you were a prophet on this and I came along somewhere. While having players on the radio to do interviews during the season is nice, I don't want to hear them have 2 hour radio shows playing analyst.

Cook was right. Duane Brown honed himself into that junkyard dog you want to see in an offensive linemen. Winston? Well he worked real hard on setting himself up for a broadcasting career. Hopefully, he can learn from his experience here and concentrate more on football at his next stop.
Pantherstang84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #190
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
This is so weird having him cut. I mean I guess it's ok, it's not like we're trying to win a Super Bowl next year or anything....

They better have a damn good plan going forward here.
Butler's tricep better be damn healthy. FO surely had that tricep checked out real good and think he can come in and fill most of Winston's shoes. Can't see our GM making such a Gangsta move otherwise.

Now if Jacoby would tweet something unintelligible I could go to bed happy.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #191
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 60434 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
You're not serious, right? The Texans could give a sheet about what Solomon did or didn't write. Who reads Soloman, anyway?
Sorry. I forgot the
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #192
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 195251 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
I don't know about questioning the guy's priorities. Winston wasn't good enough to earn a $5.5 million salary. If he were making $2 million a year, he'd still be on the team. Quitting his radio show wouldn't have made him a $5.5 million player.
I know offensive linemen are supposed to be round, but I thought he was out of shape this year & he didn't appear to get down the field like he used to.

I still thought he was a bit of a mauler, just not that hammer he used to be.
Old 03-12-2012   #193
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

[quote=Lucky;1914281]I agree that Winston was overrated and probably overpaid. But Butler is very overrated around here. He almost got Schaub killed when subbing for Brown at LT. But, it should be an easier go for Butler at RT. All things equal, I'd rather have Winston. But they aren't equal, because Butler is paid less than half of Winston's salary.

Yep, Butler will probably do about as good of a job as Winston did at half the $$$$. Look for the Texans to pick up a cheap vet to be the swing OT. (Salaam type guy.)

The Texans organization doesn't like its players to get all chummy with the media and is making alot of $$$$. If a player does this, he better hold up his end of the bargain. Or like Winston, they will be cut.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #194
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
P.S.

LMAO at sports radio 610.

For freaking hours they've been trashing everybody who called in and criticized Winston or said he spent too much time in the media and they've been telling people that their "resident retired lineman" Greg Cook was going to be on later and just wait to see what he has to say....

That was halarious. Warner and Salamon are both such knobs.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #195
Kimmy 
RealGirls LvFB!

Section: 321
Rep Power: 18204 Kimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respectedKimmy is a quality contributor and well respected

@ericwinston
Unfortunately I have bad news. The Texans have decided to release me today. Although it is a surprise, I have nothing but positive memories And great relationships that I have built over the years. While my future seems uncertain, I am confident I will land on my feet. Let me say thank you to Mr. McNair and the whole Texan organization. They have had big role in the player and person I have become. And last but not least to my fans and teammates. You guys are the absolute best! I will miss all of you more than you know.
Old 03-12-2012   #196
chicagotexan2
IDBLDogDareU

Rep Power: 113379 chicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respectedchicagotexan2 is a quality contributor and well respected

The madden curse ain't got nuthin on the wing stop curse. You do commercials for them and your career in Houston will be sleeping with the fishes. Bu bye Winston.
Old 03-12-2012   #197
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 249737 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

You're not the only one! RT @damienwoody: I'm totally shocked about Eric Winston! @ProFootbalFocus

Texans KNOW they can play without Mario Williams from last year. They don't know what dumping a RT of Winston's quality does yet

Winston was costing Texans $6.5m this season. Want to bet he gets more than that on the open market?

Winston cut, Myers a FA. 2/5 (arguably the best 2/5ths of the best OL in the NFL may not be back. That's an offense killer.

Mr @ericwinston is one of the best RTs in the league. That's a shock the Texans are prepared to let him go. Will have offers. Lots of em

Wow!! Now that one is a shock RT @caplannfl: #Texans starting ORT Eric Winston announces he will be released. Surprising.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #198
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Assuming there are 5 positions with players getting equal number of snaps, 65 divided by 5 = 13. Got any numbers on what other guys gave up? Doesn't sound that out of the ordinary. Would love to see sacks given up by other RTs in the league as well. Without that comparative info, the stat is pretty useless.
Bro 17 sacks given up in 2 years out of 65 total is ridiculous I don't care how you try to compare it (not to mention 1 penalties which is more than Myers and Brisiel combined). Especially if he making $5.5 m in each of the next 2 years (made $4m last year).

But here is the site...
http://hosted.stats.com/fb/findplaye...on&position=95
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #199
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Quote:
ProFootballFocus.com ‏ @ProFootbalFocus Reply Retweet Favorite · Open

Winston was costing Texans $6.5m this season. Want to bet he gets more than that on the open market?

I would be surprised if he gets more than $6.5M.

I'd be upset if he goes to Washington & it "appears" Kubiak served Winston up to his daddy with no compensation.
Old 03-12-2012   #200
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 51932 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He hasn't missed any games. When you have a team that has dealt with injury as often as the Texans, why would you just outright cut one of your healthiest, most consistent players? I just don't get it...

He aparently loved it here. Why wouldn't they even have tried to renegotiate?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read