Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-12-2012   #1
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Cowboys, 'Skins lose cap space, most other teams gain

Adam Schefter
27 minutes ago
NFL is taking away millions of dolllar of salary-cap space from Cowboys and Redskins for how they front-loaded deals during uncapped year.

Adam Schefter
11 minutes ago
Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

Adam Schefter
7 minutes ago
All that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any.
Old 03-12-2012   #2
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 35195 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Cowboys, 'Skins lose cap space, most other teams gain

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
Adam Schefter
27 minutes ago
NFL is taking away millions of dolllar of salary-cap space from Cowboys and Redskins for how they front-loaded deals during uncapped year.

Adam Schefter
11 minutes ago
Cowboys lose $10 million in cap space, Redskins lose $36 million in space. Can split it over 2012 and 2013 any way they want. More at ESPN.

Adam Schefter
7 minutes ago
All that money goes to 28 other teams -- $1.6 million each -- except for Saints and Raiders, who don't get any but don't lose any.
$36 million in lost space?! DAMN Gina.

Remember how a lot of people were saying that McNair not spending like crazy in the uncapped year like the Cowboys and Skins meant he wasn't serious about winning?

Yeah...

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #3
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang, I take back everything I said about the Texans being dumb for not front loading a new deal for Mario in the uncapped year.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm happy to hear about it, but I do think it's unfair to assess that sort of penalty for a year that was supposed to be uncapped.
Old 03-12-2012   #5
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

In fairness, I think this is complete BS on the part of the NFL unless teams were warned not to go crazy in the uncapped year. Since only two teams have been punished, I'm thinking there may have been some kind of warning. But if not, spending money in the uncapped year just sounded like good business
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #6
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
In fairness, I think this is complete BS on the part of the NFL unless teams were warned not to go crazy in the uncapped year. Since only two teams have been punished, I'm thinking there may have been some kind of warning. But if not, spending money in the uncapped year just sounded like good business
I think teams were warned to not go crazy and it was the general consensus of the NFL owners during free agency last off-season to proceed forward like there will be a cap in place next year. Remember us talking about teams self-imposing cap numbers? Seems like the Cowboys and Redskins sure didn't.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #7
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Supposedly, instructions went out ahead of time.
Quote:
But while most teams opted not to break the bank in a season without a banker, the NFL instructed teams not to use the uncapped years as a way to dump money in order to ensure that cap numbers in years with a salary cap would be lower.
LINK
Old 03-12-2012   #8
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

I wonder if there might be any teams still to be announced. If what I've read is correct, Julius Peppers contract clearly would have fallen into the category of dumping dollars into the uncapped year.
Old 03-12-2012   #9
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I wonder if there might be any teams still to be announced. If what I've read is correct, Julius Peppers contract clearly would have fallen into the category of dumping dollars into the uncapped year.
They said that the remaining money would be dispersed evenly over the other teams. $1.6 million dollars for each team, except the Saints and Raiders.
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #10
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Here's a list of caphits from September 2010 according to PFT:

Quote:
Redskins: $178.2 million.

Cowboys: $166.5 million.

Saints: $145.0 million.

Vikings: $143.4 million.

Seahawks: $138.8 million.

Jets: $135.7 million.

Packers: $135.3 million.

Raiders: $135.2 million.

Colts: $133.1 million.

Bears: $131.9 million.

Eagles: $131.0 million.

Patriots: $128.8 million.

Giants: $128.6 million.

49ers: $125.9 million.

Dolphins: $123.8 million.

Texans: $123.1 million.

Lions: $122.9 million.

Steelers: $122.9 million.

Browns: $122.8 million.

Ravens: $122.3 million.

Falcons: $118.5 million.

Titans: $118.0 million.

Panthers: $110.9 million.

Rams: $109.1 million.

Chargers: $108.0 million.

Bills: $105.3 million.

Broncos: $102.9 million.

Bengals: $100.8 million.

Cardinals: $97.8 million.

Jaguars: $89.5 million.

Chiefs: $84.5 million.

Buccaneers: $80.8 million.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-salary-cap/

An ESPN article says the Saints and Raiders apparently will not get any piece of the savings, so we can only assume the cutoff was at the Saint's cap number and the Raiders were right there too. Could be other teams to come, we shall see.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ions-cap-space
Old 03-12-2012   #11
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Here's a list of caphits from September 2010 according to PFT:

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...-a-salary-cap/

An ESPN article says the Saints and Raiders apparently will not get any piece of the savings, so we can only assume the cutoff was at the Saint's cap number and the Raiders were right there too. Could be other teams to come, we shall see.

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/76...ions-cap-space
Yeah, then it makes sense.
Old 03-12-2012   #12
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I'm happy to hear about it, but I do think it's unfair to assess that sort of penalty for a year that was supposed to be uncapped.
Quote:
You too make an excellent point. Why is there a penalty of any sort if the year is supposed to be absent any sort of cap??

In truth it wasn't an Uncapped Year, it was a retro-capped year. That hardly seems fair to me.
Old 03-12-2012   #13
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 41206 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
You too make an excellent point. Why is there a penalty of any sort if the year is supposed to be absent any sort of cap??

In truth it wasn't an Uncapped Year, it was a retro-capped year. That hardly seems fair to me.
The owners agreed to the rules and knew beforehand that they might be retroactive. Seems silly to agree to something then complain that it is unfair afterword.
Stemp is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #14
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
There was a warning letter sent to all the teams. Not sure where the authority comes from but they were warned. Also not sure how the entirety of sports reporting didn't know about this and the letter long ago.

Edit - now there is a report the NFL warned the teams six times about this.

Last edited by infantrycak; 03-12-2012 at 07:51 PM.
infantrycak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #15
gg no re
iggnorent

Rep Power: 24962 gg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respectedgg no re is a quality contributor and well respected

gg no re is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #16
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The Boys and the Skins have always played on the fringes of money dealings. If they choose to sue the NFL, this could be Jones' and Snyder's Waterloo.

Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap messMarch 17, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT

Quote:
Five days after the NFL dropped a salary-cap bomb on the Redskins and the Cowboys, the teams could be retaliating with a bomb of their own.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Redskins and Cowboys could be going “nuclear” with the NFL as soon as Monday.

More specifically, the two teams are contemplating suing anyone and everyone connected to the sudden removal of $46 million in total cap space over the next two years, based on the contention that their treatment of the term “uncapped year” too literally somehow created a competitive disadvantage. Even though no rules or policies were violated.

The teams will spend the weekend examining every possible option. ”Who can I sue and how can I sued them?” will be the operative questions. (It’s unknown whether a “suance” is being considered.)

Adding to the teams’ frustration, we’re told, is that the deal to take away the cap money was brokered between NFLPA executive DeMaurice Smith and the NFL Management Council Executive Committee, without a full vote of NFLPA leadership or NFL ownership. The chairman of the CEC is Giants owner John Mara, whose team benefits directly from the removal of cap room from two of his chief division rivals.

It’s unknown whether the Redskins and Cowboys are bluffing in order to force a compromise, or whether they indeed truly intend to file suit. Reducing the allegations to writing necessarily will expose that the league was engaged in collusion in 2010, which could have all sorts of unintended consequences for the entire NFL, including the Redskins and the Cowboys.

And so the real question is whether the Redskins and Cowboys are angry/crazy enough to drop a grenade into a room they won’t be able to escape.

The answer very well could be yes.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
The Boys and the Skins have always played on the fringes of money dealings. If they choose to sue the NFL, this could be Jones' and Snyder's Waterloo.

Redskins, Cowboys could go “nuclear” over cap messMarch 17, 2012, 11:08 AM EDT
Add in Bud Adams and you have the trinity of NFL owner jerks.

I hope they sue. I hope the league stands up to Jerruh & Snyderman. Everyone else managed to follow the rules except the integrity challenged. F 'em.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 173371 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Great writeup by Sally Jenkins:

...The word is that Snyder is beside himself, but he has only his uncontrollable self-interest to blame. What happened was this: Back in 2010, when the NFL entered hardball negotiations with the players union for a new labor contract, the owners warned each other not to use the situation to get a leg up. They were in an uncapped year, with no limit on player salaries, and entering a tense and emotionally fraught labor situation, and they asked each other not to abuse the circumstances.

In essence they said, “Don’t try to set yourselves up to be in a better spot when this is over.” Think of it like a yellow caution flag in a car race: The drivers agree to hold their places and not to accelerate until the track is clear.

But that’s exactly what Snyder did. To a lesser extent, so did Cowboys owner Jerry Jones. Jones just sped up a little. Snyder apparently floored it. The Redskins shifted money, moved it, dumped it, and did everything they could to emerge from the labor pause with the books cleared of bad numbers, so when it was over they could get the biggest jump possible on other franchises in buying up new players.

The NFL has ordered the Redskins to take a $36 million hit over two seasons, while the Cowboys have been told to give back $10 million.

Think about that for a moment: Jones is generally the most excessive operator in the NFL yet Snyder apparently outstripped him by more than three times. That is a serious fiscal rebuke from Commissioner Roger Goodell and the management council. The fact that they did it on the eve of free agency tells you how harshly they meant to punish.

What’s more, one person told Mark Maske of The Post that some of the owners considered $36 million letting the Redskins off easy.

“A lot of people were very angry about it,” the person said. “The ramifications could have been far worse for them.” Apparently some even recommended that the Redskins should lose draft picks.

Snyder is said to be lawyering up and alleging “collusion,” but experts say a legal challenge will be tough. For one thing, colluding in this instance means improperly acting collectively to suppress salaries. But salaries weren’t suppressed. They were just moved around, manipulated by the Redskins for the purpose of evasion and gaining a future competitive advantage when the cap was reinstated. For another, the group that the NFL owners supposedly colluded against, the union, has signed off on the punishment...

read more: http://www.washingtonpost.com/sports...ry.html?sub=AR

Last edited by Playoffs; 03-18-2012 at 11:12 AM.
Old 03-25-2012   #19
CloakNNNdagger
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 131093 CloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respectedCloakNNNdagger is a quality contributor and well respected

The wheels are in motion.

PFT:

Quote:
Redskins, Cowboys file grievance against NFL, NFLPAPosted by Mike Florio on March 25, 2012, 12:05 PM EDT

The Cowboys and Redskins have yet to officially go nuclear. But the two teams have commenced the process of challenging the decision to strip $46 million in salary cap space from the two teams that treated the uncapped year as, well, an uncapped year.

A source with knowledge of the situation tells PFT that the Cowboys and Redskins have filed a formal grievance against the NFL, the NFL Management Council, and the NFL Players Association challenging the agreement to remove and redistribute cap space allocated to the Cowboys and Redskins in exchange for increasing the total salary cap for 2012 to $120.6 million per team.

Not many details currently are known about the grievance. The other 30 teams will receive a full briefing this week, at the league meetings in Florida.

It’s currently believed that the grievance focuses on procedural defects, such as the failure to put the measure to a vote of league ownership or NFLPA leadership, without articulating the hot-button underlying argument that the Cowboys and Redskins are being punished for refusing to engage in illegal collusion in the year before the lockout began.

Under the Collective Bargaining Agreement, the grievance will be processed pursuant to Article 43 of the CBA, with a neutral arbitrator resolving the case. The arbitrator’s ruling will be final, at least as to the arguments raised in the grievance.

The fact that the Cowboys and Redskins included the union in the grievance triggered the procedure that allows the teams to avoid a situation in which Commissioner Goodell resolves the matter. Instead, a true outsider will determine whether the action complied with the terms and/or the spirit of the labor deal.

To the extent that the Cowboys and Redskins plan to allege that they were punished for refusing to collude, that’s an argument that possibly could be raised later, via a federal lawsuit.
CloakNNNdagger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2012   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

NFL teams back decision to cut salary cap of Redskins, Cowboys
By Mark Maske

NFL teams voted, 29-0, Tuesday to endorse the salary cap reductions imposed by the league on the Washington Redskins and Dallas Cowboys.

The Redskins and Cowboys were not involved in the vote. The Tampa Bay Buccaneers abstained, a person familiar with the vote said.
Approval by the teams was not required for the NFL-mandated reductions, which already have taken effect, so the vote was taken as a show of support for the league’s action.

The Redskins and Cowboys, under a provision in the sport’s collective bargaining agreement, have filed a case to an arbitrator challenging the reductions. The case is to be heard by Stephen Burbank, a University of Pennsylvania law professor who serves as the sport’s “system arbitrator.” A decision by Burbank could be appealed to an appeals panel...

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read