Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-12-2012   #1
TheIronDuke
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87002 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Tacks trying to get Peyton

http://kdvr.com/2012/03/11/espn-mann...toward-denver/

Apparently Bud Adams is going to break the bank to try to get Manning to Possum Holler.

Quote:
“He is the man I want. Period,” Adams told the paper by phone. “And the people that work for me understand that. They know who I want. I want Mr. Manning with the Titans and I will be disappointed if it doesn’t happen.”

“I hope to be one of the teams he looks at,” Adams said. “Since he went to school in Tennessee I think Tennessee is where he should be. I think he could play for two or three years. I think he’s the guy that could come in and turn this around for us.”

Adams also told The Tennessean he would “speak to Manning about staying in the front office whenever Manning decides to retire.”
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #2
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Tacks trying to get Peyton

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheIronDuke View Post
http://kdvr.com/2012/03/11/espn-mann...toward-denver/

Apparently Bud Adams is going to break the bank to try to get Manning to Possum Holler.
I would not mind if this happened. That way I can carry on my irrational Peyton Manning Hate.
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #3
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Not sure Peyton would want to play the Colts twice a year!

Regardless, I'm not sceeeeeerrrrred!! Let him break the bank on ONE player! Takes more than a QB to win a SB. Just ask Peyton Manning!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #4
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

They were 9-7 last year with Matt Hasselbeck, so upgrading to Peyton Manning would likely put them in the playoffs. Add Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark to Kenny Britt and Nate Washington and they suddenly have a good passing attack. I hope he doesn't go there...
Old 03-12-2012   #5
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78862 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

The thing about Bud Adams is, I'm not really sure what his real priority is . . . helping his own team, or just trying to **** Houston again.

Back in my Navy days, they had a saying about Admiral Rickover . . . "the world may come to an end, but Admiral Rickover will never die"

I'm starting to feel that way about Bud Adams.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #6
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

IMO, you got Mario to take down Manning. IF Manning is still in our division, you make sure you still have Mario.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101274 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
IMO, you got Mario to take down Manning. IF Manning is still in our division, you make sure you still have Mario.
Yeah he did such a good job of that for years didn't he. Manning and the colts had a better record and owned the division until manning got injured. Mario couldn't hold peydons jock strap.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-12-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 114958 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Manning's a smart guy. I reckon he already knows what an asshat Bud is.
Old 03-12-2012   #9
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Yeah he did such a good job of that for years didn't he. Manning and the colts had a better record and owned the division until manning got injured. Mario couldn't hold peydons jock strap.
Maybe the team didn't do it but Mario didn't have the team he has now. If Payton takes the type of hits he took from us back in 2010 (which I look back at now and realize could've been the reasons for his operation) he aint going to be able to take the hits the defense we have now can give.

All I'm saying is that you can't have enough pass rushers against Manning.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #10
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
They were 9-7 last year with Matt Hasselbeck, so upgrading to Peyton Manning would likely put them in the playoffs. Add Reggie Wayne and Dallas Clark to Kenny Britt and Nate Washington and they suddenly have a good passing attack. I hope he doesn't go there...
That's a poorly supported statement.

It was my impression that the Titans were rather "lucky" last year. It should be interesting to read Football Outsiders on them as the offseason progresses. But, they were very '08 Dolphins/'10 Bucs-ish to me.
Old 03-12-2012   #11
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Assuming Peyton is healthy and can play close to the level he was at pre-injury, this could make the Titans a very tough team to play.

I've said it before, but I hope the Texans FO doesn't have the same cavalier attitude that some of the fans seems to have. We haven't accomplished anything really.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #12
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Can the Titans afford Manning with all the money they are flushing down the toilet with Chris Johnson?
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #13
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Peyton has been sacked more by Mario than any other player in the league.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #14
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
That's a poorly supported statement.

It was my impression that the Titans were rather "lucky" last year. It should be interesting to read Football Outsiders on them as the offseason progresses. But, they were very '08 Dolphins/'10 Bucs-ish to me.
Ok, here ya go...

They were 8th overall in points allowed, which is pretty dang good. 18th in total yards allowed though.

They were 21st in points scored with 20.3 avg. 17th in total yards gained.

Now add Manning and Wayne to that team, and tell me how many more points they would score. I would guess about 4 points a week on average. That would be 64 more points scored throughout the season, or about 9 touchdowns. I think Manning brings at least that much of an improvement. It would take them from 21st to 10th overall, just ahead of the Texans.

Manning alone could fix their run game by opening up the box for CJ to run. Last year they didn't have much of a run game at all, and a lot of that was due to teams being able to stack the box against a team without a #1 WR after Britt went down. Having Britt and Wayne at WR with Washington in the slot would be pretty good. CJ as the dumpoff option for Manning would also be great.
Old 03-12-2012   #15
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18070 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Ok, here ya go...

They were 8th overall in points allowed, which is pretty dang good. 18th in total yards allowed though.

They were 21st in points scored with 20.3 avg. 17th in total yards gained.

Now add Manning and Wayne to that team, and tell me how many more points they would score. I would guess about 4 points a week on average. That would be 64 more points scored throughout the season, or about 9 touchdowns. I think Manning brings at least that much of an improvement. It would take them from 21st to 10th overall, just ahead of the Texans.

Manning alone could fix their run game by opening up the box for CJ to run. Last year they didn't have much of a run game at all, and a lot of that was due to teams being able to stack the box against a team without a #1 WR after Britt went down. Having Britt and Wayne at WR with Washington in the slot would be pretty good. CJ as the dumpoff option for Manning would also be great.
I'll wait for FO's analysis. I'll stick by my assertion that they were more lucky than good, though, until then.
Old 03-12-2012   #16
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Whatever will be, will be.

If he joins any other team OTHER THAN the Titans, then the fears are proven to have been worthless here. He might even loathe the idea of playing for Bud Adams. He might think Chris Johnson doesn't have the brain power to understand the nuances of how he (Peyton) operates snap-to-snap...which would make it one giant cluster-you-know-what.

To me, Peyton is a straight-forward guy. He is like George Patton: He will lead his tanks into battle and even walk right in front of them and lead the way, exposing himself to the enemy's fire. He went to the Broncos, he's been to the Cardinals, and he's eliminated Seahawks and Chiefs altogether. That tells me that he means what he means when he goes one place and then goes to another.

Now, if he ends up visiting the Titans? Then it's time to worry. I don't want him in the AFC South. He's still capable of haunting us, to a degree. Especially if they add some firepower to their passing attack.

But whatever will be, will be.
Old 03-12-2012   #17
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Whatever will be, will be.

If he joins any other team OTHER THAN the Titans, then the fears are proven to have been worthless here. He might even loathe the idea of playing for Bud Adams. He might think Chris Johnson doesn't have the brain power to understand the nuances of how he (Peyton) operates snap-to-snap...which would make it one giant cluster-you-know-what.

To me, Peyton is a straight-forward guy. He is like George Patton: He will lead his tanks into battle and even walk right in front of them and lead the way, exposing himself to the enemy's fire. He went to the Broncos, he's been to the Cardinals, and he's eliminated Seahawks and Chiefs altogether. That tells me that he means what he means when he goes one place and then goes to another.

Now, if he ends up visiting the Titans? Then it's time to worry. I don't want him in the AFC South. He's still capable of haunting us, to a degree. Especially if they add some firepower to their passing attack.

But whatever will be, will be.
Honestly, I don't think Peyton does anything that will directly hurt the Colts, which is why I don't see him landing at any AFC South team.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #18
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 244045 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
9-7 with CJ2ypc & no Brit.... get those two going & they could definitely make some noise if they fix their defense.

(9-7 going against the Texans 2s & 3s in the final game of the season mind you).
Old 03-12-2012   #19
OzzO
.. and then?

Rep Power: 36225 OzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respectedOzzO is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to OzzO

Emperor Adams: Everything that has transpired has done so according to my design. Your team, up there in Indianapolis, are walking into a trap, as is your Indy fans. It was *I* who allowed Irsay to know the location of your contract. It is quite safe from your pitiful little team. An entire legion of my best coordinators awaits them. Oh, I'm afraid the defensive unit will be quite operational when your team arrives.

Emperor Adams: [In the throne room, Peyton is watching the Titans team attack the Colts from the huge throne room window] As you can see, my young apprentice, your friends have failed. Now witness the firepower of this fully ARMED and OPERATIONAL titans station!
[Emeror Adams hits the comlink switch on his throne]
Emperor Adams: Blitz at will, Munchak!
[In the coach's room, a group of hooded titan scouts starts priming the titans super cornerback Innegan - a device so advanced it can be trained on quaterbacks, (but cannot affect WR's). A series of tones signify that the weapon is ready]
Fire!
[a second scout hits a switch, and a little cornerback roars down a firing shaft. and moves out from the titan's defense. It hits Indy's quarterback, bounces off of him, and quarterback trips over the CB in less than a second]

Emperor Adams: [to Peyton] The colts... will die. As will your team mates. Good, I can feel your anger. I am defenseless. Take your football. Strike me down with all of your hatred and your journey towards the dark side will be complete!
OzzO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #20
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 284137 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
Can the Titans afford Manning with all the money they are flushing down the toilet with Chris Johnson?
$28 million under cap, expected to make a run at Mario.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read