Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Brett Hartmann suspended

TEXANS84

Staff member
Per source:

John McClain @McClain_on_NFL

NFL has suspended Texans punter Brett Hartmann for 4 games for violating substance abuse policy. Got credit 4 1 n playoffs.

TEXANS84

Staff member
According to Mark Berman,

"He served one during the playoffs. Hartmann has to serve 3 more".

So looks as if the first 3 games of the season, it's back to Matt Turk or other.

Premier

Rookie
substance abuse?? maybe he was gettin high during his rehab.. id hate to think that our punter is using PEDs..

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame
This is AWESOME to me!! A punter busted for PED's is hilarious!!

Matt Turk is stoked!!!

All that said, I'm glad Texans players are doing things to "take the next step" towards a championship!!!! :truck:

I hope that we next find out that Mojo was on anti-depressants!!! That would be AWESOME!!!!

LMFAO... Mojo is a modern reference!! :lol:

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
he's ripped for sure, but he's not steroid ripped, IMO

if he's given Vicodin/the like for the pain after surgery, does that show up in a test? Is that even banned?

Tim Sylvia popped for steroids in 2003, doesn't much look like a steroid user to me. Most athletes use them more for the ability to train while still healing, not strictly getting ripped. Could be anything though.

Texn4life

All Pro
Well one angle to look at it is at least McClain was able to get out in front of this story.

The other is at least we're looking at Punter (who was hurt for the last quarter plus of the season anyway) being out the first few games as opposed to the mess that the Broncos are in. I'm suspecting that we were going to bring competition for him anyway seeing as he's coming off of an ACL injury.

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame

Tim Sylvia popped for steroids in 2003, doesn't much look like a steroid user to me. Most athletes use them more for the ability to train while still healing, not strictly getting ripped. Could be anything though.
Anna Nicole Smith (another modern reference ;) ) thinks Tim Sylvia has big boobs!!!

Texan_Bill

Hall of Fame

BTW, I heard Dunlop Tire is thinking about endrorsing Sylvia!! :D

arb729

Waterboy

Point well taken.

That being said, why wouldn't he just take HGH and recover from the ACL tear in 4 months, ala Wes Welker?

NastyNate

I go kerplunk
Point well taken.

That being said, why wouldn't he just take HGH and recover from the ACL tear in 4 months, ala Wes Welker?
Yup yup, HGH is the new wonder drug and damn near impossible to get busted for. Maybe he was purchasing from Sly Stallone?

TheMatrix31

Hall of Fame
The fact that so many athletes take these things for healing more than flat-out size and strength only emphasizes the point that I think the whole discussion over these things is pretty damn overblown, especially in baseball.

Obviously when you get into kids seeing players doing this stuff and thinking they have to do it themselves, that's another issue altogether.

GP

Go Texans!
The problem is the old "slippery slope" analogy.

Once you allow that one guy int he NFL to use HGH (or whatever) the NFL has set a precedent and it will be hell for everyone in terms of trying to argue that "your guy" needs it, when maybe he doesn't, etc.

There would be roughly 90% of the NFL players claiming they need it to recover from various injuries.

Maybe they could only allow it in extreme cases where a guy had been I.R.'d and it's a blown ACL or other SEVERE ligament injuries. It'd have to be verified by maybe three separate, NFL-approved/sanctioned physicians who all three concur that the player DID receive a severe ligament injury, or whatever they deem is severe...and it would have to be administered by the NFL's docs at THEIR chosen facility and also witnessed by separate, impartial witnesses. Then they'd need to say "He can only take it for x-amount of time," then they test him after the treatment was to have ended to make sure he cleans it out of his system 100%. Then RE-TEST that player throughout the year to make sure he hasn't reverted back to taking it again.

Sounds like a damn difficult process, IMO, to make it available AND properly sanctioned by the NFL. Otherwise, every guy on every team is going to flood the NFL offices with petitions to use this "therapy" for what ails them.

Just my thoughts on why it could or could not be allowed in today's NFL.

SCOTTexans

Rookie
That would be an interesting question to have asked and answered.
"Both John McClain of the Houston Chronicle and Mark Berman of Fox 26 in Houston have the report.

Hartmann was injured reserve at the end of the season, and the penalty came down during the Texans playoff push. He technically served the first game of his four-game suspension for the playoff loss in Baltimore."

Looks like it was to speed up his recovery, sense he failed it during the playoff

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
"Both John McClain of the Houston Chronicle and Mark Berman of Fox 26 in Houston have the report.

Hartmann was injured reserve at the end of the season, and the penalty came down during the Texans playoff push. He technically served the first game of his four-game suspension for the playoff loss in Baltimore."

Looks like it was to speed up his recovery, sense he failed it during the playoff
Why ASSUME he was taking "roids?" Why would the NFL even test him if he was on IR?

I have a feeling he tested POS for something other than "roids" or prescription drugs! JMO! Don't really care cause I like Turk better anyway.

CloakNNNdagger

Hall of Fame
The time line of when the abuse occurred then was discovered, to the time a suspension was handed down can be a very long period of time.

The initial occurrence of an abuse, later confirmed by testing (and possibly by a second confirmatory test requested later by the player) may lead to disciplinary fine, but not suspension. The abuse is not disclosed publically, and the player is placed in an anonymous staged "therapeutic" program. It is not until at least a second occurrence of abuse or other non-compliance within the program is uncovered by testing that a 4 game suspension in addition to any further fine.

NATIONAL FOOTBALL LEAGUE POLICY AND PROGRAM FOR SUBSTANCES OF ABUSE

KMG 365

Waterboy
Hartmann was not busted for taking PEDs. He violated the substance abuse policy. Those are two different policies. The substance abuse policy involves things like marijuana, cocaine, etc.

My guess is that he was notified of the positive test between the Bengals playoff game and the Ravens playoff game, hence, the credit for serving one game already.

Once a player is notified of a positive test he usually appeals. That's why we haven't heard about it until now. I imagine Hartmann lost his appeal, therefore, the suspension stands.

Premier

Rookie
hartmann was doing really well this season, not to mention he was a rookie that handles the game and bad snaps very well.. he is currently the texans record holder for longest punt.. i expect him to have all the texans records over the course of his career.. hes solid...

Premier

Rookie
Hartmann was not busted for taking PEDs. He violated the substance abuse policy. Those are two different policies. The substance abuse policy involves things like marijuana, cocaine, etc.
ummm performing enhancing drugs fall under the "substance abuse" category. according to NFL rules.. it can be anything ranging from HGH, anabolic steroids, alcohol, to over the counter drugs...

GP

Go Texans!
It could have been a lot of things. You can take certain cough medicines, or cold-related relief medicines, and get popped for "substances."

Happens in the UFC too. Those guys cannot take certain medicines or they get popped. Sucks big time...considering the good stuff for clearing up a bad cold or the flu or whatever contains drugs the organization deems non-permissable.

I will reserve judgment until (if at all) we learn more. There is a wide array of things it could have been. He doesn't seem to be a druggie to me. But who knows?

SheTexan: I never would have pegged you as a Turk fan over Hartmann. Hartmann has those looks and the skills, what does Turk have that makes your eyes twinkle? An AARP card? Just kidding! Don't neg rep me! I Luv u! LOL.

SheTexan

Hall of Fame
It could have been a lot of things. You can take certain cough medicines, or cold-related relief medicines, and get popped for "substances."

Happens in the UFC too. Those guys cannot take certain medicines or they get popped. Sucks big time...considering the good stuff for clearing up a bad cold or the flu or whatever contains drugs the organization deems non-permissable.

I will reserve judgment until (if at all) we learn more. There is a wide array of things it could have been. He doesn't seem to be a druggie to me. But who knows?

SheTexan: I never would have pegged you as a Turk fan over Hartmann. Hartmann has those looks and the skills, what does Turk have that makes your eyes twinkle? An AARP card? Just kidding! Don't neg rep me! I Luv u! LOL.
Sometimes ya just gotta pull for the OLDtimers!! :) NO neg rep my friend! Old is AWESOME!! :winky:

Yankee_In_TX

Dance Lindsay!
I believe, based on chatter on 610, he said he got popped for something he was taking during his rehab and 'didn't know' it would cause him to test positive.

My pet peeve is when players say that.

KMG 365

Waterboy
ummm performing enhancing drugs fall under the "substance abuse" category. according to NFL rules.. it can be anything ranging from HGH, anabolic steroids, alcohol, to over the counter drugs...
No, any performance enhancing drug like steroids, HGH, etc fall under the NFL's Anabolic Steroid and Related Substances Policy.

Illegal drugs, otc drugs, prescription drugs and alcohol fall under a different policy called the Substance Abuse Policy.

It's all semantics either way. A player putting something in his body that he's not supposed to is going to get caught.

arb729

Waterboy
I know HGH is technically banned, but they don't have a test for it do they? I thought that never came to fruition after the lockout ended.

HOU-TEX

Ah, Football!
He was suspended for taking Ritalin. He never got it approved by the NFL before taking. He's now been approved....but still has a 3 game suspension.

"I took something that was under the performance enhancing banned substance list," Hartmann said. "It was something for a medical condition that I didn't have approval for from the NFL and now I currently have approval for it, so I can take it.
http://www.myfoxhouston.com/story/18590792/texans-punter-hartmann-now-has-permission-to-take-ritalin

jtexas

Waterboy
Teams require players to report all prescriptions they are on and EVERYTHING in the future should be approved through the team doctor. Add to it there are official drug lists and league meetings reviewing the policy on annual basis. The players who "claim" they didn't know or forgot to report it is equivalent to us telling a police officer we forgot we couldn't drink and drive. I think cushings excuse of getting pregnant was better than this.