Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2012   #121
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 8248 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson restructures contract

i remember how adamant mcclain was last off-season about the texans not having enough money to pursue asomugha... yet he was the main one retweeting la confora and lombardi on news any time the texans made advancements towards aso or joseph..
Old 03-09-2012   #122
G27RR
WATTch Out!

Rep Power: 2211 G27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respectedG27RR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Wait what happened to that list of reasons why its not true starting with his "1) Can't restructure twice in a fiscal year". Before Tuesday, wouldn't that still be in the same fiscal year Mr. McClain? What a boob, time to dust off one of my old John McClain jokes...
Fiscal years (which he should be referring to as "league years" as the CBA does) have nothing to do with it. See section 8 renegotiations and extensions (a) (i)...

"The contract of a veteran player may not be renegotiated to increase the salary to be paid to the player during the original terms of the contract for a period of twelve months after the player's most recent contract renegotiation."

The increase of salary means that under the renegotiation, he can't be paid more overall than he was in his existng contract (when you add all his contracted years together). It doesn't mean you can't restructure the amount per year, or the terms of when and/or how he gets the money. You can move salary and/or convert parts of it to bonus within the remaining length of contract as long as you aren't paying more overall.

Twelve months after the last renegotiation, you can increase the overall salary if you choose to do so. The twelve months rule is regardless of what league year it is or was when th contract was renegotiated. Also, if it is a new contract, renogiation can occur for the first time at any time - you don't have to wait twelve months the first time.

Things you can't do are try to move salary (including bonus) and cap hit to a previously ended league year, renegotiate terms for the current year after the last regular season game, change the terms to expire prior to the end of the league year, etc.

Salary in the CBA includes all things of value given to the player, including base salary (AKA paragraph 5), signing bonuses, roster bonuses, performance incentives, etc.

So, yes, they appear to be well within the rules to restructure Andre's contract the way it was reported by NFL Network.
G27RR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #123
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
That's contradictory to what he's been quoted as saying, but like I've stated in other threads, "the proof is in the puddin'". I'll hide-N-watch.
I don't know.

As has been said, the Texans should have done something with Mario's contract last year. They didn't. We don't know why, but I believe it was because Mario wasn't having it.

His contract was back loaded & he had no signing bonus. Redoing the contract would ruin the avg salary earned over the first 5 years of the contract. By insisting to finish out his contract, he averaged 9M/yr. Had they redone the contract he would have effectively been paid $7.2M a year, which is not in line with what first overall picks have been paid in the past.

This is completely conjecture on my part, but if I were Mario Williams that's what I would have done. I would also think I earned $9M/yr & would expect to be paid in the $13M/yr range going forward. Getting that number down for cap purposes is Rick Smith's job.

So I would be looking for the ability to earn $40M in the first three years. I don't care if it's in signing bonus, roster bonus, or even incentive based (but the incentives are going to have to be more than reasonable. 10 sacks, games played, lead the team in sacks or something along those lines).
Old 03-09-2012   #124
ATRAIN
ATX TEXANS FAN

Rep Power: 935 ATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respectedATRAIN is a quality contributor and well respected

Offseason is fun and makes me sick to my stomach all at the same time. Free Agency begins on my bday. Foster re-signing was a early bday present and I hope the Texans give me Myers and Mario (at a good price) and no Manning.
ATRAIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #125
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...rsday-schedule

CBS, Fox and NBC renewed their contracts for nine years through the 2022 season, the NFL announced Wednesday. The average fees from the three networks will increase by an average of 7 percent annually, a person familiar with the details said. That will take the total revenue from them from the current $1.93 billion per year to $3.1 billion by 2022.

The current agreements expire after the 2013 season.
Old 03-10-2012   #126
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/73...rsday-schedule

CBS, Fox and NBC renewed their contracts for nine years through the 2022 season, the NFL announced Wednesday. The average fees from the three networks will increase by an average of 7 percent annually, a person familiar with the details said. That will take the total revenue from them from the current $1.93 billion per year to $3.1 billion by 2022.

The current agreements expire after the 2013 season.
I've been saying the same thing, it's not going to go up 80 million in one year. It will be a gradual bump each year.
Old 03-10-2012   #127
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 3398 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
I've been saying the same thing, it's not going to go up 80 million in one year. It will be a gradual bump each year.
Okay. But what's your point? If somebody averages 20 PPG do they score 20 points EVERY game? No. So why is it far fetched to believe it can jump substantially one year, and then gradually rise thereafter?
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-11-2012   #128
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Not a rumor in the slightest. Look at the Fox and CBS contracts then get back to me. They're not increasing nearly 80% in 1 year.

From Bloomberg:

"Rights fees for all three networks will increase by about 6 percent or 7 percent a year, according to three people with knowledge of the talks who were granted anonymity because they weren’t authorized to disclose the terms."

http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-1...ough-2022.html

Nate
Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Okay. But what's your point? If somebody averages 20 PPG do they score 20 points EVERY game? No. So why is it far fetched to believe it can jump substantially one year, and then gradually rise thereafter?
There ya go.
Old 03-11-2012   #129
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114714 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Well, apparently there's another blog/Q&A session that John McClain is a part of with the Chronicle. Link here, but I posted the "meat" of the session below:

What about the report by Lewis "Sausage Fingers" Malone that Golden Corral will unveil chicken-fried corn on the cob in April?

John McClain: What do I think about it? Totally bogus. It's still in the trial phase, and won't be ready to roll out to customers until May at the earliest.

How do you know?

McClain: Because I'm on the Trial Committee. Duh. Next question.

Would you ever contemplate actually eating Lewis' fingers if you and Lewis were trapped on a deserted island and had nothing to eat?

McCLain: Ah, a trick question! Depends on if we had any syrup or not.

Is it true you make your own syrup, John, and if so...how?

McClain: Nice try, Lewis. You're not getting my syrup recipe you bastard.

Gravy. Your thoughts?

McClain: Should be part of the food pyramid, no doubt about it. Cream gravy, brown gravy, turkey gravy, gravy with bits of crumbled sausage in it, how can it not be in the food pyramid?

The new Nacho-flavored Doritos taco shell at Taco Bell, will it have staying power?

McClain: Hard to say. Does it have the same consistency as a Nacho Doritos chip or is it just a regular shell with some Nacho Dorito flavor sprayed onto it? Call me skeptical, but I've seen some real doozies in my day when it comes to food fads. I'll need a 10-pack before I can reach a verdict, obviously.
Hey, give the guy a break.... I'm rather impressed that McClain is still on the job and not someplace curled up into a fetal ball after this disturbing news...

Twinkies maker Hostess Inc. files for bankruptcy
Old 03-11-2012   #130
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Hey, give the guy a break.... I'm rather impressed that McClain is still on the job and not someplace curled up into a fetal ball after this disturbing news...

I kinda wish he would go hide somewhere curled up in the fetal position and take Anna Megan with him .... both are worthless as "Journalists".

Houston has to have the absolute worst sports coverage in the nation for such a large market.

Then again , both the Texans and Rockets play their cards close to the vest and dont leak any info prior to things actually happening .... If you dont have an inside vine , you dont know sh@t ....and Mclain has no inside line to the Texans. He's good for nothing but opinion at this point ... VY anyone ?

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #131
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
I kinda wish he would go hide somewhere curled up in the fetal position and take Anna Megan with him .... both are worthless as "Journalists".

Houston has to have the absolute worst sports coverage in the nation for such a large market.

Then again , both the Texans and Rockets play their cards close to the vest and dont leak any info prior to things actually happening .... If you dont have an inside vine , you dont know sh@t ....and Mclain has no inside line to the Texans. He's good for nothing but opinion at this point ... VY anyone ?
I think he lost whatever inside info when he criticised Texans so harshly for drafting Mario. I think he's suffering from payback.
Old 03-11-2012   #132
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 144460 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I think he lost whatever inside info when he criticised Texans so harshly for drafting Mario. I think he's suffering from payback.
He never had any inside ties to the Texans orginization .... His inside vine left with the Oilers.

Old 03-11-2012   #133
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

The reason Justice cried so bad Riley got fired is that BoB/Gary/Rick let go of the only guy that let the organizations secrets get out to the lazy media types.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #134
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 225351 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to infantrycak

Quote:
I don't think it was that. I think it was the regime change. Look at his articles prior to Kubiak's arrival and see the number of "sources with the team" type of statements he made. Then look at them now and if it isn't a direct quote from someone he has jack. Maybe Mario played a role in that dynamic but I think Kubiak just doesn't like to show his cards unless he believes it to be to his advantage. He won't stooge up and leak a little friendly info the way Casserly would.
Old 03-11-2012   #135
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

The fact that people are discussing "McLame", "McFat", "McIrrelevant" is a amazing to me. The next time he's right about something will be the first time.
Old 03-11-2012   #136
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
I don't think it was that. I think it was the regime change. Look at his articles prior to Kubiak's arrival and see the number of "sources with the team" type of statements he made. Then look at them now and if it isn't a direct quote from someone he has jack. Maybe Mario played a role in that dynamic but I think Kubiak just doesn't like to show his cards unless he believes it to be to his advantage. He won't stooge up and leak a little friendly info the way Casserly would.
Smith & Kubiak both operate in this way .... Its seldom advantageous to show your hand anyway.

Just take a look at how hush hush things were on the Foster deal until it was actually signed sealed and delivered.

Old 03-11-2012   #137
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Smith & Kubiak both operate in this way .... Its seldom advantageous to show your hand anyway.

Just take a look at how hush hush things were on the Foster deal until it was actually signed sealed and delivered.
Yeah, Zierlein early last year was all over R. Smith essentially b/c Smith doesn't interact with the media too much except when he has to.....then i remember he was saying he had like a sit down dinner meeting with him (or something like that) & he's for the most part done a 180 on the whole subject.

None of these media types have any real connection to the FO. honestly all of us are better off to our own devices than listening to these guys.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2012   #138
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Yeah, Zierlein early last year was all over R. Smith essentially b/c Smith doesn't interact with the media too much except when he has to.....then i remember he was saying he had like a sit down dinner meeting with him (or something like that) & he's for the most part done a 180 on the whole subject.

None of these media types have any real connection to the FO. honestly all of us are better off to our own devices than listening to these guys.
There are multiple people here on TT who have inside ties to the team .... Dont ask me who cause Im not at liberty to say .... But if you pay close attention , you'll figure it out on your own.

Its very safe to say that none of the Houston Media have those ties .....

Old 03-12-2012   #139
Mike77015
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Mike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performer

I think there are a few on this board that have ties to the organization. This board and other message boards are used as a measuring stick on certain subjects that they would like public opinion on. Someone log on as an anonymous poster and say I heard a rumor and let the ball roll from there.
Mike77015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #140
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are multiple people here on TT who have inside ties to the team .... Dont ask me who cause Im not at liberty to say .... But if you pay close attention , you'll figure it out on your own.
But different people will come to different conclusions as to who really knows the skinny and who doesn't.

One thing I've learned about rumors, the ones that are talking, don't know . . . and the ones who know . . . ain't talking.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read