Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2012   #81
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Andre Johnson restructures contract

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Got a source for that? I just skimmed through the salary parts of the CBA and couldn't find anything restricting restructuring contracts. The term 'restructure' doesn't even appear in the document. I don't think there is any limit to the amount of restructuring a team can do.
Bro take that up with John McClain. He's the one who claims we cannot restructure twice in a fiscal year. Sounds like BS to me. But either way the fiscal year will end once 2012 league year begins.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #82
Txn_in_Oki
Lucky 13

Rep Power: 32635 Txn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respectedTxn_in_Oki is a quality contributor and well respected

All I know is this guy better get a ring. He is the ultimate team player and class guy. He's stuck with this franchise through all the bad times and definitely deserves it.

I can't wait for the season to start.
Old 03-08-2012   #83
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SW H-TOWN View Post
I could see this money being used to help lock up our bad ass LT. Just don't think we are going to compete with teams in the "Super Mario Sweepstakes" that are already 40 to 60 million under the cap. Some crazy owner will offer him a Julius Peppers contract (6 years 91.5 million, 43 million guaranteed). No way we can or should do that and keep Myers, Barwin, Brown, and Cushing.
Maybe we could but we would probably have to let somebody walk (Barwin). I really think that some team will offer Mario a 6 or 7 year contract that will be over 100 million and McNair will say thanks but I am not going to match that. Mario is going to get paid like Fat Albert. Good news is that who is going to say no to restructuring their contract when Andre just did it.
SW H-TOWN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #84
ItsMyFault
It's on me.

Rep Power: 487 ItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respectedItsMyFault is a quality contributor and well respected

Tired of John McClain. Someone needs to send him to The Dallas Morning News where he belongs.
Old 03-08-2012   #85
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I could see this money being used to help lock up our bad ass LT. Just don't think we are going to compete with teams in the "Super Mario Sweepstakes" that are already 40 to 60 million under the cap. Some crazy owner will offer him a Julius Peppers contract (6 years 91.5 million, 43 million guaranteed). No way we can or should do that and keep Myers, Barwin, Brown, and Cushing.
They CAN come up with that type of contract for MW should they choose to.

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. The Texans will have little trouble keeping them next season as the cap is expected to jump to somewhere between $180m to $200m and teams are forced to spend at least 90% of that.

Many of the teams wellunder the cap this year may well choose to stay there and put that money in their pockets instead. They dont have to spend 90% of the cap. No reason for bad teams to throw money away if they arent going to get significantly better ..... may as well profit thisyear.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #86
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 52238 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. The Texans will have little trouble keeping them next season as the cap is expected to jump to somewhere between $180m to $200m and teams are forced to spend at least 90% of that.

Many of the teams wellunder the cap this year may well choose to stay there and put that money in their pockets instead. They dont have to spend 90% of the cap. No reason for bad teams to throw money away if they arent going to get significantly better ..... may as well profit thisyear.
you're only getting half of the story. While the cap is expected to be around 180 million, it's not going in one big jump. The leage will bump by around 6-8 million a year until the tv contracts are fully matured in 2018. We're gonna be in cap hell the next few years.
Old 03-08-2012   #87
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

Rep Power: 2407 SW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respectedSW H-TOWN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Have to agree to disagree on the $100 million plus contract. I could really see him getting over $110 million and maybe more if he signs an 8 year contract. I believe Julius Peppers was several years older when he signed his 6 year contract. I know that for example Cushing will not be a UFA next year but he Mario's contract will take up a large amount cap space for various years. Brown is going to be a UFA in 2013, Barwin UFA in 2013, Myers UFA this year, and Cushing UFA in 2014. We could restructure and pay a 7 year $100 million or more contract but I just don't think we should given the fact that we were the number 2 defense last year. Mario is a great player and I understand you position, I just don't agree with it.
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012   #88
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 112249 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
you're only getting half of the story. While the cap is expected to be around 180 million, it's not going in one big jump. The leage will bump by around 6-8 million a year until the tv contracts are fully matured in 2018. We're gonna be in cap hell the next few years.
Na i think we will be fine. This team has a lot of young draf picks who are due for a pay day for a while. Schaub dont have much longer on his contract and our potential replacment isnt gonna cost a ton "yates" we will now be rid of Williams big money. We will be just fine.
Old 03-08-2012   #89
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

By the way .... Barwin ,Brown and Cushing arent Free Agents. They will all be Restricted Free Agents next year. .

ummm... no they'll be UFA's whenever their contracts are up. theyll all have 4 accrued season (duane will have 5 actually)
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #90
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

You are pulling this out of your ars. No one knows what next years cap is going to be. Hell have they even decided what this years is going to be?
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #91
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 209048 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
All of the information Ive gathered on the subject points to a significant cap raise for the 2013 season with smaller gains in subsequent seasons thru 2018.

You can expect a cap number in the range of $180m next season.

Quote:
Have to agree to disagree on the $100 million plus contract. I could really see him getting over $110 million and maybe more if he signs an 8 year contract. I believe Julius Peppers was several years older when he signed his 6 year contract. I know that for example Cushing will not be a UFA next year but he Mario's contract will take up a large amount cap space for various years. Brown is going to be a UFA in 2013, Barwin UFA in 2013, Myers UFA this year, and Cushing UFA in 2014. We could restructure and pay a 7 year $100 million or more contract but I just don't think we should given the fact that we were the number 2 defense last year. Mario is a great player and I understand you position, I just don't agree with it.
I really didnt state a position .... Just stated the fact that should the Texans choose to , they can offer MW that type of contract. Not that they will or that they should ....

I can tell you for a fact that the two sides are working on a deal .... whether that comes to fruition or not .... who knows.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-08-2012   #92
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 101211 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
Sure don't know much about our QB do ya??

Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!
You have it backwards as usual.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Dutch is close. That can't convert all $6.5 to signing bonus. There has to be at least a vet minimum salary. For AJ that is probably around $900k. So AJ will be on the cap for $900k est. + $1.13 mil ($5.6 mil converted and pro-rated over 5 years) + $400k ($2.8 mil original signing bonus pro-rated over 7 years) = $2.43 mil.

He would have counted $6.5 in salary plus the $400k pro-rated original signing bonus = $6.9 mil.

So the cap space saved is $4.47 mil.
This is correct .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-08-2012   #94
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Secretariat is one of my fav movies! I've watched it a zillion times, yesterday being the latest, and I DO NOT remember seeing J. McClain in that movie! But, I wasn't looking for him either. What part? Now my curiosity is up!
He was a part of the "Hack Pack" which also included Hank Goldberg.
Old 03-08-2012   #95
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 127410 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Sure don't know much about our QB do ya??

Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!
By the same token, some players have never recovered from the Linsfranc injury.. It's all a crap shoot G'ma! Which ****ing sucks!!! There is no "right" answer and there is no "wrong" answers..

Old 03-08-2012   #96
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL
Agent Kennard McGuire and Texans say Andre Johnson hasn't redone deal to free up cap dollars. I could see it done before Tuesday deadline.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #97
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
You are pulling this out of your ars. No one knows what next years cap is going to be. Hell have they even decided what this years is going to be?
No way to come up with a concrete number for the cap without all the information used to calculate it .... but its also not impossible to form an educated guess as to what range that final number will be ....

Pulling it outa my ass .... no. Using what we know of the CBA and total revenue's to come up with a reasonable estimate .... Yes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post

ummm... no they'll be UFA's whenever their contracts are up. theyll all have 4 accrued season (duane will have 5 actually)
You are right ... ugh.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 03-08-2012   #98
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15763 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
John McClain ‏ @McClain_on_NFL
Agent Kennard McGuire and Texans say Andre Johnson hasn't redone deal to free up cap dollars. I could see it done before Tuesday deadline.

McLain is so predictable.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #99
SW H-TOWN
All Pro

I read incorrectly...

They CAN come up with that type of contract for MW AND THEY SHOULD choose to. I've been staring at this screen for too long. Free agency and the draft get me hyped up, love this time of the year.
Old 03-08-2012   #100
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by bckey View Post
McLain is so predictable.
Right!!! Looking at the article it says that "are restructuring their deals" meaning that it is going to happen. McClain is just butt hurt that he didn't come out with it first so he makes it a point to come out and say "No, its not true. It hasn't happened yet". Well La Canfora didn't say it has happened. I know there are McClain supporters here, but he is just turning into a dufus who thinks far too highly of himself. This is just my opinion.

Last edited by Texn4life; 03-08-2012 at 08:26 PM.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read