Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Andre Johnson restructures contract

way cool, so how much does that free up this year. The cap quote surprised me as well, no raise?

The official salary cap numbers for the 2012 season will be released by Friday, and the final number will be very similar to last season’s cap of around $120 million.

I thought you couldn't restructure a contract back to back years. That's what McClain has been saying all off season

This has to be at least the second time he's restructured, in addition to his extension/reworking.

Anyone have a count on that?

Awesome! This dude just keeps on showing what a team player he is, and making himself one of Houston's greatest athletes of all time. I hope this means Myers, and Mario will be Texans for the foreseeable future. :texflag:

If we can afford him, and still sign our FAs next year, I would LOVE to have Mario on our team. It's just I've been under the impression we couldn't afford him.

If we can afford him, and still sign our FAs next year, I would LOVE to have Mario on our team. It's just I've been under the impression we couldn't afford him.

Thats why I stayed out of if we could/can't afford him, because I have no idea what contraacts have wiggle room, and which don't. Even capologist, who know alot, may not possible know the whole story.

We can afford Mario along with everybody else we want to retain, just as we can have our cake and eat it to.

Johnson converted his base salary ($6.5 million) to a bonus and spread it out over a number of years.

AJ has 5 years left on his deal. 6.5/5 = 1.3 million cap hit in 2012; a savings of 5.2 million. That's a nice chunk of change to use to sign Myers, Mario or Manning...

I believe that was an extension with a crazy signing bonus, not a restructure. But I could be wrong on that.

Yea, basically a new contract. When you restructure, the end dollar amounts stay the same. I believe Andre ended up getting more money with the extension

AJ has 5 years left on his deal. 6.5/5 = 1.3 million cap hit in 2012; a savings of 5.2 million. That's a nice chunk of change to use to sign Myers, Mario or Manning...

Why do people keep putting Manning here if this in the very far fetched happened it would turn out just like Boselli did for the Texans. Besides Kub loves his players and I dont see him just dropping Schuab.

So funnyy how john mclain tends to know everything bout the texans saying that they won't pursue manning or now saying they will draft a olb in first round instead of wr how other analysts have stated. But he has yet to mentioned the restructure of johnson contract which is huge crazy lol

Please don't tell me the Texans might really make a serious run @ Mario ?

I hope they do. I want Mario back but didnt see how there was any way it was going to happen. I can see a little daylight here...

Still have more pressing issues here with Myers/Brisiel.

Why do people keep putting Manning here if this in the very far fetched happened it would turn out just like Boselli did for the Texans. Besides Kub loves his players and I dont see him just dropping Schuab.

This is why it wont happen.

I hope they do. I want Mario back but didnt see how there was any way it was going to happen. I can see a little daylight here...

Still have more pressing issues here with Myers/Brisiel.

Did u read the article by pat kirwan that i posted in another thread? If not, go take a look at it. He lays it out and part of it was converting johnson,joseph,smith,and daniels salary into signing bonus and creating 12m of cap room. Its not that hard and the player win because they get the money right now.

So funnyy how john mclain tends to know everything bout the texans saying that they won't pursue manning or now saying they will draft a olb in first round instead of wr how other analysts have stated. But he has yet to mentioned the restructure of johnson contract which is huge crazy lol

Don't hate on McClain he is probably finishing up his 5th trip to the buffet line at Golden Corral so he has not had time to tweet.

Please don't tell me the Texans might really make a serious run @ Mario ?

I hope so!!

I look for OD to do the same soon. I saw an interview he had the other day and he said he would do it. This was asked in reference to would he restructure in order to keep Mario, and he said yes!!

Because he had an M name... :D

Don't hate on McClain he is probably finishing up his 5th trip to the buffet line at Golden Corral so he has not had time to tweet.

Right bout that one. Everything he says on the texans they tend to do the opposite feel bad for the guy sometimes

By all reports it is now far fetched. It wouldn't end like Boselli, it would end in "rings" (plural). Kubes has a taste now of success with this organization. If he is going to be loyal to anyone it is the rookie who won him the playoff game, not the washed up injury prone mediocre QB who has an injury some people never recover from. IMHO.

If Pancakes lost 5 pounds for every time he was wrong, he would weigh 5 pounds by now.

We need aj or Stephanie to explain this to us.

Dutch is close. That can't convert all $6.5 to signing bonus. There has to be at least a vet minimum salary. For AJ that is probably around $900k. So AJ will be on the cap for $900k est. + $1.13 mil ($5.6 mil converted and pro-rated over 5 years) + $400k ($2.8 mil original signing bonus pro-rated over 7 years) = $2.43 mil.

He would have counted $6.5 in salary plus the $400k pro-rated original signing bonus = $6.9 mil.

So the cap space saved is $4.47 mil.

By all reports it is now far fetched. It wouldn't end like Boselli, it would ends in "rings" (plural). Kubes has a taste now of success with this organization. If he is going to be loyal to anyone it is the rookie who won him the playoff game, not the washed up injury prone mediocre QB who has an injury some people never recover from. IMHO.

Sure don't know much about our QB do ya??

Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!

Do you realize the injury PM has is one that some people never recover from either? Give me a QB with a foot injury ANYDAY over one with a neck injury that is one hit away from total PARALYSIS! JMO!

Completely inaccurate statement. His structural issue is gone. He can be hit as much as any other player without fear of anything. He has no fear of paralysis because of any injury he has sustained. His neck is totally and completely structurally healed, and he has been cleared as that by two doctors. The ONLY issue was the nerve damage and if he would regain the strength to throw with velocity and accurately. "Insert Duke Video Here". Matt may or may not ever play another game. he is the only one still up in the air.

Dutch is close. That can't convert all $6.5 to signing bonus. There has to be at least a vet minimum salary. For AJ that is probably around $900k. So AJ will be on the cap for $900k est. + $1.13 mil ($5.6 mil converted and pro-rated over 5 years) + $400k ($2.8 mil original signing bonus pro-rated over 7 years) = $2.43 mil.

He would have counted $6.5 in salary plus the $400k pro-rated original signing bonus = $6.9 mil.

So the cap space saved is $4.47 mil.

Ah you're right, I read that as the amount converted, not his base for the year.

I have to agree with this.

Only thing that would make it better is if we could get this guy in a Texans uniform. :heh:

pigeon_raida-1.jpg

About five minutes ago, josh and rich on 610 just said McClain claims that la canforas report is not true.

Rumors will be around until something concrete is announced. I have no doubt they want to keep Mario, as to their progress or effort I'm sure us common folk (and sports reporters as well) know zilch.

About five minutes ago, josh and rich on 610 just said McClain claims that la canforas report is not true.

I dont know I mean its not like Jason La Canfora just said AJ restructured. He has specific details on the deal. Maybe the deal is in place but Texans FO is waiting to announce.

If Pancakes lost 5 pounds for every time he was wrong, he would weigh 5 pounds by now.

Harsh. But true.

"Pancakes" McClain

"Grand Slam" McClain

"Wonderfall" McClain

It's endless. In the movie Secretariat, he looked like Mike Holmgren's challenged brother.

Why doesn't he just stop already? I almost think the Texans wait for him to tweet or post some "scoop" then Smith and Kubiak do the opposite just because they want to jack with him.

Back