Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-08-2012   #21
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Most important FA?

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Other than with our own....I hope
I think that is all we need to do, with O-line being priority. We were a muffed punt/couple of interceptions away from the SB last year. Stand pat, add what you can in the draft, and let TJ go get his ring. Now that all the reports are saying Manning isn't being contacted by us, I think we roll with what we have for the most part.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #22
Seņor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44650 Seņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeņor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm just hoping to keep Myers, Brisiel, and Dreesen....
Seņor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #23
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
I think there might be some disppointment on the MB soon, because I don't foresee us doing much at all during FA. Other than with our own....I hope
If the Texans re-sign both Myers and Brisiel, I will be a happy Texan. Other needs can be filled through the draft or the FA bargain bin. I'm confident in our team's ability to draft impact players now, I just want to keep the o-line in tact. Do that, and it will be a successful offseason IMO.
Old 03-08-2012   #24
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seņor Stan View Post
I'm just hoping to keep Myers, Brisiel, and Dreesen....
I'm optional on Dreesen. Depends on what the number would be. He could probably start for another team and we are deep at TE, so if we can great, but the contract has to make sense.
Old 03-08-2012   #25
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18944 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
I mean free agents who are not currently with us.
I'd rather re-sign Myers and Briesel and sign Brown, Barwin, Quin, Schaub, and Cushing to extensions than bring in any FA.

That said, I wouldn't mind a WR2 or OL depth in FA.
Old 03-08-2012   #26
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by mussop View Post
Lawson is fast! Wonder what he could do in this defense
so fast they ran him out of town in sf and replaced him with a real football guy, not a track guy pretending to play football.
Old 03-08-2012   #27
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by nero THE zero View Post
I'd rather re-sign Myers and Briesel and sign Brown, Barwin, Quin, Schaub, and Cushing to extensions than bring in any FA.

That said, I wouldn't mind a WR2 or OL depth in FA.
That's my thinking as well. As fans, we have tunnel vision on the 2012 year. The last thing I want to do is leverage up for this season and be even tighter against the cap next year when we have to sign/franchise Brown, Barwin, Cushing, etc. These 3 are MUST-HAVE Texans.
#99 JJ Watt - Dream Big Work Hard
Ole Miss Texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012   #28
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29411 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
That's my thinking as well. As fans, we have tunnel vision on the 2012 year. The last thing I want to do is leverage up for this season and be even tighter against the cap next year when we have to sign/franchise Brown, Barwin, Cushing, etc. These 3 are MUST-HAVE Texans.
They wont leverage anything. Out of that group, brown is first,then cushing(based on impact) then barwin. If demeco doesnt play better next year, they can cut him and give his money to cushing. They probably also draft a 5 technique to guard against smiths age and contract. They could draft brockers in the 1st or reyes in the 2nd this year and next year, cut smith and insert the 2nd yr player. Brown will get paid 1st out of that group i would imaging though.
Old 03-08-2012   #29
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 24791 Ole Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedOle Miss Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
They wont leverage anything. Out of that group, brown is first,then cushing(based on impact) then barwin. If demeco doesnt play better next year, they can cut him and give his money to cushing. They probably also draft a 5 technique to guard against smiths age and contract. They could draft brockers in the 1st or reyes in the 2nd this year and next year, cut smith and insert the 2nd yr player. Brown will get paid 1st out of that group i would imaging though.
I don't think they will either. I think it can be very beneficial to restructure some deals to get some extra cap room this year but what many fans aren't considering are the ramifications of what these "restructures" will do to our cap situation in 2013 and 2014. Helps now but can put us in a bind in the future. Obviously we hope the cap incrementally goes up each year and we are in "win now" mode.... but I don't think we should (nor do I think we will) do that to the detrement of signing more of our star players as their contracts expire next year.

Edited due to Dutch's post below: We need re-sign Duane Brown, Connor Barwin and MATT SCHAUB to significant contracts next season. Cushing will demand a significant contract the following year. Schaub's gonna be pretty dang big next season and I suspect Duane Brown may be one of the highest paid LTs.... it's awesome being good but it sucks having to pay all these stars!!! lol
Old 03-08-2012   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Houston Texans 2013 Projected Free Agents:

Player Pos Status 2012-2013 Team New Team Years Dollars Signed
Connor Barwin DE UFA Houston TBD --
Duane Brown T UFA Houston TBD --
Rashad Butler T UFA Houston TBD --
Antoine Caldwell G UFA Houston TBD --
James Casey TE UFA Houston TBD --
Shaun Cody DT UFA Houston TBD --
Tim Jamison DT UFA Houston TBD --
Matt Leinart QB UFA Houston TBD --
Brice McCain CB UFA Houston TBD --
Glover Quin CB UFA Houston TBD --
Matt Schaub QB UFA Houston TBD --
Lawrence Vickers RB UFA Houston TBD --

(important guys bolded)
http://www.spotrac.com/free-agents/n...ouston-texans/

Brian Cushing will NOT be a free agent until 2014.
Old 03-08-2012   #31
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331852 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ole Miss Texan View Post
I don't think they will either. I think it can be very beneficial to restructure some deals to get some extra cap room this year but what many fans aren't considering are the ramifications of what these "restructures" will do to our cap situation in 2013 and 2014. Helps now but can put us in a bind in the future. Obviously we hope the cap incrementally goes up each year and we are in "win now" mode.... but I don't think we should (nor do I think we will) do that to the detrement of signing more of our star players as their contracts expire next year.
The bold is the key. If this was an ordinary chugging along NFL period what you say makes total sense. But it has been reported quite the opposite is going to occur and as new TV contracts already signed go into effect the cap is going to go up dramatically after this season. So pushing money downstream in this circumstance may be a good idea.
Old 03-08-2012   #32
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post

(important guys bolded)

Quin's pretty darn important. Frankly, so is McCain. I'd hate to lose either of those guys and Quin may cost something significant to keep, particularly given that the 2013 free agent class will likely be significantly weaker than 2011 and 2012.
Old 03-08-2012   #33
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Quin's pretty darn important. Frankly, so is McCain. I'd hate to lose either of those guys and Quin may cost something significant to keep, particularly given that the 2013 free agent class will likely be significantly weaker than 2011 and 2012.
Quin was slightly above average as a safety this year, but he's no Ed Reed. The guy won't command a lot of money in free agency next year unless he has a monster season in 2012. I'm pretty confident we can retain him for Eugene Wilson/Dom Barber type money. 3 million a year for 3 years. That's about what he would be worth this offseason on the open market. He's better than a JAG, but not significantly better. I think we could replace him with a 1-3rd round draft pick if needed.
Old 03-08-2012   #34
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:

(important guys bolded)

Fixed it for you.

Need Casey who will replace Dreesen who likely is gone, and Cody and Quinn for depth.

Do not need Schaub or even know if he ever plays another snap.
Old 03-08-2012   #35
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Fixed it for you.

Need Casey who will replace Dreesen who likely is gone, and Cody and Quinn for depth.

Do not need Schaub or even know if he ever plays another snap.
Casey will be a near minimum salary guy. He will be 30 when he hits free agency and has yet to prove he is not replaceable. Dresseen is certainly more valuable than him.

Cody and Quin are both decent guys, but nothing special. They aren't important pieces of the team. Each could be (and probably will) replaced by draft picks in the next two years. in any case, neither of them will command a high price, which is what I was replying to (future cap management).

Schaub is tricky. If he doesn't play well this year he will be cheap. If he's halfway decent he will cost some money for sure. I expect him to play this year, but we shall see.
Old 03-08-2012   #36
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Quin was slightly above average as a safety this year, but he's no Ed Reed. The guy won't command a lot of money in free agency next year unless he has a monster season in 2012. I'm pretty confident we can retain him for Eugene Wilson/Dom Barber type money. 3 million a year for 3 years. That's about what he would be worth this offseason on the open market. He's better than a JAG, but not significantly better. I think we could replace him with a 1-3rd round draft pick if needed.
Well, if we only are prepared to offer him 3 yrs and $9 million then we had better replace him, because he will be gone. Contract values aren't stagnant. This year and last year is a buyers market because of the massive amounts of free agents to hit the market as a result of the changes in 2009 and 2010 regarding the expiration of the CBA... also, the cap number has shrunk, forcing even more frugality from teams. However, next year's FA class will be much lighter and the cap will be larger, meaning teams will spend more on lesser talent. If you'd like evidence of this, look at the contracts signed after the 2008 and 2009 seasons. Guys like Dunta Robinson were getting $40 million deals... There's a reason for that: nobody else was out there.
Old 03-09-2012   #37
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

I agree with you Dale (and I've just seen a bright yellow pig fly past my window )

Free agency is going to be nuts the next few seasons, if the cap goes up by $20 mill next season as some are predicting, some of our top contracts that we've already signed are going to look like bargains, we'll have plenty of cash to pay all our rookie-contract FA's and then go out and look for a few bargains.

Win-Win Texans, but on the other side of that, there's going to be teams out there needing to spend $40 mill just to reach the cap-floor and only have 2nd tier talent to choose from.

If I was a mid-tier FA this off-season, I wouldn't be too upset at getting tagged by my current team, there are far worse years to get paid top money and delay your free agency till the next off-season.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #38
alicetxjj
waterboy

Rep Power: 0 alicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Famer

REGGIE WAYNE. of all the free agents from other teams, this guy is the one that will give the Texans the most immediate positive contributions. plus he's gonna mesh well with Andre. i'd love to see them pick up Reggie wayne, draft the best possible player at any position at the draft, and try to trade or drop Jacoby Jones.
alicetxjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #39
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by alicetxjj View Post
REGGIE WAYNE. of all the free agents from other teams, this guy is the one that will give the Texans the most immediate positive contributions. plus he's gonna mesh well with Andre. i'd love to see them pick up Reggie wayne, draft the best possible player at any position at the draft, and try to trade or drop Jacoby Jones.
Wayne will be signing wherever Manning signs.
Old 03-12-2012   #40
Ole Miss Texan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Wayne will be signing wherever Manning signs.
Then we better get Peyton

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read