Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2012   #1
whitewater
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 whitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Most important FA?

Who do you think is the 1st free agent we should sign? My vote is for Indy receiver Pierre GarÁon.
whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #2
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Most important FA?

My vote is for Chris Meyers...first and foremost since we signed Arian already.
Old 03-07-2012   #3
whitewater
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 whitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respectedwhitewater is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
I mean free agents who are not currently with us.
whitewater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #4
J_R
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2074 J_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respectedJ_R is a quality contributor and well respected

Garcon reportedly rejected a 5 year 35 million dollar deal from the Colts. I'm not sure the Texans have the money to match that, let alone go beyond that. Texans will be lucky to re-sign all of their own, excluding Mario. That is not to mention the guys with one year left like Duane Brown, Matt Schaub and Connor Barwin.
J_R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #5
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Chris Myers
Mike Brisel

A new kicker would be nice
Old 03-07-2012   #6
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 209005 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitewater View Post
a 4-3 OLB or reciever would make me happy. I'm not up on names though.

And I'll always take a lineman of any flavor.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #7
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33817 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

The Texans won't have a lot of money to spend on new free agents this year which is a big reason Mario is probably not coming back.
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2012   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Who do you think is the 1st free agent we should sign? My vote is for Indy receiver Pierre GarÁon.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
Quote:
It doesn't matter whether it's a FA with us... Chris Meyers should be a FA we sign... We sign now.

This year's draft class in terms of recievers is a great/rich class. A class that could not only compliment AJ in the very future, but also I a guy that could be our next AJ a few years down the road.

Why would you ever think about Pierre GarÁon???
Old 03-07-2012   #9
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 78947 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Texans should stay out of the FA market completely. Re-sign our FA's and add through the draft. Maybe add a rotation or depth player in FA but that's it.

Spending big money on a FA right now would be utterly stupid.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #10
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R View Post
Garcon reportedly rejected a 5 year 35 million dollar deal from the Colts. I'm not sure the Texans have the money to match that, let alone go beyond that. Texans will be lucky to re-sign all of their own, excluding Mario. That is not to mention the guys with one year left like Duane Brown, Matt Schaub and Connor Barwin.
Yea I think Garcon will ask for more than he is worth, he is too inconsistent.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #11
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
It doesn't matter whether it's a FA with us... Chris Meyers should be a FA we sign... We sign now.

This year's draft class in terms of recievers is a great/rich class. A class that could not only compliment AJ in the very future, but also I a guy that could be our next AJ a few years down the road.

Why would you ever think about Pierre GarÁon???
Cause Peyton made Garcon look better than he actually is.
Old 03-07-2012   #12
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 47328 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Robert Meachem

Terrell Thomas, Richard Marshall

Jarret Johnson, Matt Roth, Manny Lawson

after re-signing Chris Myers and letting Mario walk, I'd like to see two of those three areas of the team get addressed (WR, CB, OLB).
Old 03-07-2012   #13
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 92801 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Robert Meachem

Terrell Thomas, Richard Marshall

Jarret Johnson, Matt Roth, Manny Lawson

after re-signing Chris Myers and letting Mario walk, I'd like to see two of those three areas of the team get addressed (WR, CB, OLB).
Lawson is fast! Wonder what he could do in this defense
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #14
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

the only type of free egent signing I see the Texans making a Wade Smith level thing or two. anything else would surprise, but not shock me.
Old 03-08-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite ∑ Open
Updated top CBs left in free agency -- deep group:
1) Cortland Finnegan
2) Brandon Carr
3) Carlos Rogers
4) Terrell Thomas
5) Aaron Ross
6) Eric Wright.
7) Richard Marshall
8) Tracy Porter
9) Marcus Trufant
10) William Gay
11) Tim Jennings
12) Jason Allen.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #16
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 235494 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

15 free agents to avoid
GREGG ROSENTHAL -- Rotoworld
Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Silva did a great job breaking down some of the best free agent bargains. Now itís my turn to do a mediocre job looking at some players that will get overpaid in free agency.

These are some buyer beware options in free agency.

1. Marques Colston, Saints wideout

The surgeries are well documented. Iím less worried about the injury risk because Colston has only missed ten career games, including three in the last three years.

Iím more concerned that you will have to pay for his past production and that production matches up with the gameís elite receivers since 2006. You arenít likely to get anything close to that production unless you also have Drew Brees throwing Colston the ball.

Breesí pinpoint accuracy and trust in Colston creates a lot of plays that arenít there because Colston doesnít get much separation. Ultimately, heís a possession receiver.

2-3. Pierre Garcon and Mario Manningham, wide receivers

Iím listing these two together because they are in many ways the same guy. They can look like No. 1 receivers for stretches, but they make way too many mental errors and drop too many passes to invest big money on. Those mental errors are only going to pick up from Peyton and Eli Manning.

Garcon and Manningham are borderline No. 2/3 receivers that will get paid like No. 1 receivers.

4. Jared Gaither, Chargers tackle

Just look at the tackle list available. Gaither is the most talented player by far and heís worth a gamble if the price was low. I doubt the price will be low.

Gaitherís back issues canít be overlooked. He missed five games in 2009, all of 2010, and made a successful contract push with five terrific starts in San Diego. After five years in the league, you usually are what you are. Gaither is unreliable.

5. Demetrius Bell, Bills tackle

High demand and no product will create a free agent feeding frenzy at tackle. There just arenít quality tackles available, so someone will overpay for Bell. You are better off looking in the bargain bin or just drafting and developing.

6. Jarrett Johnson, Ravens linebacker

Johnson has been one of the most underrated players in the league for a while. But you arenít getting those years. You are getting a 10-year veteran that is ready to decline at age 31. Maybe you get a good year, but it will cost too much. He wonít look the same away from all the talent and the system in Baltimore.

7. Curtis Lofton, Falcons linebacker

Lofton is a fine two-down player, but teams can only pay so many players at star-level prices. I donít want to pay huge bucks to a guy that doesnít rush the passer or play effectively on passing downs. There are too many low cost inside linebackers out there, like Stephen Tulloch.

8-10. David Garrard, Brady Quinn, and Donovan McNabb, quarterbacks

These should be obvious. But this is a year with plenty of halfway decent ď1AĒ options like Jason Campbell, Kyle Orton, and Josh Johnson.

11. Randy Moss, UStream star

Donít fall for the excuses or the reports about his great workout. He was dumped by three teams in the span of one season, and then spent a year out of football. Heís 35 years old. Thatís all I need to know.

Teams will hold on to talent as long as possible and Moss simply wasnít that talented in the 2010 season. There is almost no historical precedent for a truly successful comeback at this point. You only want Moss if he can start.

(I could also throw Reggie Wayne into my ďlikely to be overpaidĒ pile, but Iím tired of picking on wideouts.)

12-13. Carlos Rogers and Marcus Trufant, cornerbacks

Beware the over-30 free agent cornerbacks. Itís only a matter of time before their level of play declines. Rogers is a nice candidate for a one-year deal, but my guess is that heíll be able to get more.

14. Reggie Nelson, Bengals safety

Bengals defensive coordinator Mike Zimmer changed Nelson into a different player, but he still takes bad angles and isnít a good tackler. It is telling that the Bengals arenít extending financially to keep Nelson.

15. Cedric Benson, Bengals running back

Benson may actually have been a little underrated the last two years in Cincinnati, but that doesnít matter now. Heís a 30-year-old back that doesnít help on passing downs or special teams. Guys like him quickly fall from a 250-carry back to an en-player. Benson will get a job, but not the starting gig he wants.

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40...gents-to-avoid
Old 03-08-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

NFL Free Agent Bargain Bin
Evan Silva
Wednesday, March 07, 2012

Free agency doesn't begin until next Tuesday, but the NFL Hot Stove is already hopping. Stay up to date on the latest market developments via our constantly updated NFL Free Agent Tracker, and Gregg Rosenthal's info-packed Daily Doses.

Mario Williams and Vincent Jackson garner the most media attention, and they will sign quickly after the market opens on March 13. But not all NFL teams have the kind of coin to compete for top-end players. Here's a look at ten free agents who may have to wait longer than Williams or Jackson for their markets to develop, but could prove the best bargains when all is said and done:

1. Defensive tackle Jason Jones, 25 years old.

Jones will easily command the biggest contract on this list, but his price tag likely would've been far more exorbitant had he been available in any previous year. As the Titans moved away from Jim Washburn's old "Wide-9" defensive line technique and toward a scheme emphasizing size in the front four, the 6-foot-5, 276-pound Jones was forced learn strong-side end during a lockout-shortened offseason after dominating at three-technique tackle in his first three seasons. Jones set career lows in sacks and tackles per game while taking an enormous step back in overall effectiveness. He was uncomfortable at the new position and has made that clear this offseason.

Though built angularly for an inside pass rusher, Jones is much more Darnell Dockett than Justin Tuck. He is a one-gap penetrator with an explosive lower half (4.67 forty, 10'3" broad jump) and his best football ahead of him. In Jones' last season as a full-time interior defender (2010), Pro Football Focus graded him as the league's No. 6 overall defensive tackle and No. 1 inside rusher. The Rams and Eagles are sensible landing spots for Jones because new St. Louis coach Jeff Fisher drafted Jones in Tennessee, and Washburn now oversees Philadelphia's defensive line.

Prediction: Rams on a four-year, $28 million contract.

2. Cornerback Terrell Thomas, 27 years old.

A long-armed corner-safety hybrid coming out of USC, Thomas emerged as the Giants' starting right cornerback in his second season, beating out former first-round pick Aaron Ross. Thomas displayed elite playmaking ability with 10 interceptions, five forced fumbles, a pair of sacks, and 34 breakups in 2009-2010. Unfortunately, Thomas tore his right ACL during the 2011 preseason and missed his entire contract year. He previously tore the same ACL as a college freshman.

The silver lining for Thomas is that he tore the ligament early enough in the 2011 season that he'll be a full-go by 2012 training camp. Thomas resumed running on January 18. While by no means a shutdown cover man, when healthy Thomas possesses every trait NFL teams seek in a No. 2 corner. He is an efficient tackler and has sufficient ball skills to capitalize when opponents attack him in coverage. The Giants have prioritized re-signing Thomas over incumbent starter and fellow free agent Ross, a sign that they are well aware of Thomas' superior skills. A short-term, prove-it deal makes sense in New York, although Thomas could fare far better if he hits the open market.

Prediction: Giants on a one-year, $4 million contract.

3. Wide receiver Robert Meachem, 27 years old.

The perception of Meachem is that he's a one-trick pony deep threat. A rotational receiver who couldn't overcome Devery Henderson for consistent playing time in New Orleans. Meachem can certainly take the top off a defense, holding a career yards-per-reception average of 16.1. He ran a 4.39 forty at 6-foot-2, 210 coming out of Tennessee. 35 of Meachem's 141 catches have gone for 20-plus yards, good for a 24.8 20-yard rate that compares favorably to fellow top free agents Mario Manningham (23.4), Marques Colston (19.2), Reggie Wayne (18.1), and Pierre Garcon (15.4). Meachem has also been part of a receiver-committee approach with the Saints. He played 55.6 percent of New Orleans' offensive snaps in 2009, 48.9 percent in 2010, and 65.5 in 2011.

Meachem may be capable of more than his past statistics and role illustrate, however. He was always the Saints' best blocking receiver, playing over Colston in all one-wideout sets, and has been charged with just 11 career drops by Pro Football Focus. The Boston Globe reported in February that pro scouts consider Meachem a superior free agent to Colston as a less scheme-dependent receiver who could produce at a higher rate in an offense that utilized him differently. Either Meachem is going to be a steal on the open market, or he will generate more interest than anyone expects.

Prediction: 49ers on a three-year, $13 million contract.

4. Offensive tackle Anthony Collins, 26 years old.

Collins was a surprise early entrant into the 2008 draft after protecting Kansas QB Todd Reesing's blind side as a junior. He had just four years of football experience after taking up the sport as a high school senior. Collins earned playing time as a fourth-round rookie, however, holding his own in six starts to close out the year. Collins spent most of the ensuing three seasons as Cincinnati's "swing" tackle behind LT Andrew Whitworth and RT Andre Smith. Though Collins has never played full time, he's racked up 18 starts, six at left tackle and a dozen on the right. Collins is 6-foot-5, 315, and athletic enough for a zone-blocking scheme. His best NFL position is right tackle.

This year's tackle market is incredibly thin, driving up the demand for Collins. Only Jared Gaither, Demetrius Bell, and likely Cardinals cap casualty Levi Brown project as surefire 2012 starters. Collins falls in line as the No. 4 tackle available. The Dolphins are desperate for a right tackle upgrade after Marc Colombo flopped in the role, and new defensive coordinator Kevin Coyle saw Collins practice on a daily basis in Cincinnati. He could put in a good word at a position of need.

Prediction: Dolphins on a four-year, $14 million contract.

5. Offensive guard Chilo Rachal, 26 years old.

The 39th overall pick in the 2008 draft, Rachal had the look of a long-term building block when he overtook Tony Wragge for a starting job as a rookie. Rachal seemed to shake off a sophomore slump by grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 2 run-blocking guard behind only Carl Nicks in 2010. Rachal lost his footing and ultimately his job when Jim Harbaugh took over as 49ers coach in 2011, however. Benched by Harbaugh at halftime of Week 3, Rachal spent the rest of the year as a special teamer and jumbo-set option. Adam Snyder was Harbaugh's starter at right guard.

Rachal will appeal primarily to power-running teams because he's a 6-foot-5, 323-pound mauler who's been inconsistent in pass protection. Redskins O-Line coach Chris Foerster, Rachal's position coach in 2008 and 2009, may want to take another crack at a talented old pupil, however. If a zone-blocking team like Washington is willing to sacrifice a little athleticism at any offensive line position, it's right guard. Rachal should come pretty cheaply and has dominating potential. Incumbent RG Chris Chester could kick over to left guard after struggling mightily last season.

Prediction: Redskins on a one-year, $2.75 million contract.

6. Weak-side linebacker Erin Henderson, 25 years old.

As is often the case with undrafted free agents, Henderson made his early-career mark on kick and punt coverage, playing sparingly in Minnesota's base defense. Promoted into the starting lineup last season, Henderson broke out for career highs in tackles (70) and forced fumbles (2) while grading out as Pro Football Focus' No. 3 run-stopping 4-3 outside linebacker, behind only Von Miller and Jarret Johnson. Henderson was used strictly as a two-down player, but packs a wallop at 6-foot-3, 244 and ran respectable forty times of 4.73 and 4.74 coming out of Maryland. Henderson has extensive background with new Jets defensive line coach Karl Dunbar, a position coach in Minnesota for the last six seasons. The Jets need to replace inside 'backer Bart Scott.

Prediction: Jets on a three-year, $10.5 million contract.

7. Tight end Martellus Bennett, 25 years old.

The youngest player on this list, Bennett entered the NFL as an immature 21-year-old second-round pick. While he drew the ire of Cowboys officials more than once for questionable off-field decisions, Bennett has encountered no legal issues and still possesses plenty of upside. Bennett is 6-foot-7, 255 and ran a forty time in the 4.6s at the 2008 Combine. His production levels were never where Dallas wanted them to be, but Bennett has quietly emerged as one of the league's premier blocking tight ends. The Dolphins and Bengals have showed interest in Bennett at past trade deadlines. Miami may cut incumbent starter Anthony Fasano due to a $3.6 million salary.

Prediction: Dolphins on a two-year, $6 million contract.

8. Running back Justin Forsett, 26 years old.

Though purely a scatback at 5-foot-8, 198, Forsett has settled in as a highly efficient, versatile pro. Forsett's career 4.63 YPC average compares favorably to top-end free agent backs Peyton Hillis (4.22), Michael Bush (4.18), and BenJarvus Green-Ellis (4.05), and Forsett's receiving/pass protection combo makes him an ideal fit as a third-down specialist. Decreased opportunities in Seattle last season, largely due to Leon Washington's unearned bigger role, may result in diminished market value for Forsett. Still highly regarded by ex-Seahawks and current Raiders offensive coordinator Greg Knapp, Forsett is a strong fit for Oakland's new zone-blocking scheme. He could give Taiwan Jones veteran competition for the No. 2 back job behind Darren McFadden.

Prediction: Raiders on a two-year, $5 million contract.

9. Defensive end Marcus Benard, 26 years old.

Originally undrafted out of Jackson State, Benard flashed too much pass-rush ability in workouts for the Browns to leave him unprotected on their practice squad. Waived at Cleveland's final cuts in 2009, he was signed to the 53-man roster two months later. Despite playing sparingly, Benard racked up 11 combined sacks and 42 tackles during his first two seasons. After a slow start to the 2011 campaign following a team-requested offseason weight gain, Benard was unluckily involved in an October motorbike accident that ended his season. Benard was not tendered as a restricted free agent this winter and is free to sign with any team. At 6-foot-2, 256, Benard's best position can be 4-3 nickel end or 3-4 outside 'backer. He's got a natural gift for pressuring the passer, and has past coaching staff ties to the Bucs (DL coach Bryan Cox) and Cowboys (DC Rob Ryan).

Prediction: Buccaneers on a one-year, $1.5 million contract.

10. Wide receiver Eddie Royal, 25 years old.

Royal exploded onto the NFL scene as a rookie in 2008, ranking eighth in the league in receptions (91) as the flanker and slot maven in Mike Shanahan's offense. Miscast since as a Deion Branch-type outside wideout under Josh McDaniels, and dogged by injuries as a part-time player last year, Royal's market value has sunk to the point where he'll be cheap to sign. Though undersized by NFL standards at 5-foot-10, 188, Royal has incredibly quick feet and plenty of long speed (4.39 forty). He's a tailor-made slot receiver for offenses that frequently go three-wide. With Shanahan in Washington and 33-year-old Santana Moss on his last legs, Royal's old coach would be a logical pursuer. Particularly if the Skins miss out on the top end of this year's free agent receiver class.

Prediction: Redskins on a one-year, $2.5 million contract.

Restricted Free Agent Bonus:

11. Defensive lineman Desmond Bryant, 26 years old.

Bryant is a restricted free agent and tenders have not been formally extended. If the cap-strapped Raiders deem the second-round tag ($1.927 million) too pricey for Bryant, expect a market to emerge for the former undrafted free agent. He could be signed away free of draft-pick forfeiture if tendered at the "original pick" level. And Oakland is not well positioned to match contract offers.

A Harvard alum, Bryant goes 6-foot-5, 290 and has gradually climbed the depth chart in Oakland. He is a versatile pass rusher capable of playing both defensive end spots as well as inside. Bryant racked up five sacks last season while starting ten games, and Pro Football Focus graded him as a top-20 defensive end in run defense. Bryant possesses the requisite size to fit a 3-4 defense as a five-technique end, and 4-3 teams as a swing-type lineman. He is a young player on the rise.

Prediction: Raiders on a one-year, $1.927 million contract.

http://rotoworld.com/articles/nfl/40...nt-bargain-bin
Old 03-08-2012   #18
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
the only type of free egent signing I see the Texans making a Wade Smith level thing or two. anything else would surprise, but not shock me.
AT, I was thinking exactly the same thing all the way until I read your post!

A Wade Smith type DE would really make me happy, I'd like some more rotation options there and also, with Antonio Smith's contract not too far off renewal, someone who might grow into making him expendable for cap purposes in the next year or two.

(Antonio is great, but he has a big cap hit, I'm not saying cut him outright, just it'd be nice to get someone to groom and maybe give us an option later on if we're struggling to sign a few other players.)
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #19
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 78537 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

eddie royal's an interesting player as a jacoby replacement. he went gangbusters as a rookie with jay cutler and mike shanahan, but dropped off significantly once mcdaniels got there. he lacks the size that we seem to prefer, but has excelled in the system before and is a strong returner of both kicks and punts. with his falling production, he could probably be had for cheap and i'd certainly give him a look - especially if dropping jacoby for royal would free up cap room this season.
Old 03-08-2012   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think there might be some disppointment on the MB soon, because I don't foresee us doing much at all during FA. Other than with our own....I hope

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read