Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texan Tailgate The social network of Houston Texan fans around the World. Plan a gathering, find a tailgate, make a friend. This is the forum for player appearances, announcements or any Texans related group event (players or fans).

Old 03-05-2012   #1
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom

Are you a super fan? Dress up fan? Message Board owner/poster. Tailgater extraordinaire? Blogger type person? Have insomnia and like to read longish things?

I put this here instead of at NBA because really the issues have more to do with being a big sports fan and not NBA things.

This is a legal discussion I put together with a buddy of mine about the Clipper Darrell situation. Basically, the Clippers took issue with him doing interviews without consulting them and making appearances as Clipper Darrell. They didn't want him to use the Clipper name in his commercial endeavors. He was crushed by this and wrote a blog post. Then they put the hammer down and said he didn't conduct himself in an honorable way and that he wasn't an actual fan. Very scathing stuff.

Most teams want to encourage their fans to become evangelicals of their brand. The Clippers denied credentials to B/R to do video on Clipper Darrell because they saw no benefit to the team.

Here's the link.

Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom

The short version is be a super fan, but be careful about being perceived as monetizing your fandom. Hard to draw lines with this stuff. Oh, and don't root for the Clippers because their owner is gross. (DO NOT READ THIS).
Old 03-05-2012   #2
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom

Interesting blog. I know several NFL Super Fans that receive monetary gain as their super fan persona and have names that would be similar to:

-Bullpen Ryan
-Texans Ryan

In hindsight, somewhat surprised the teams have never cracked down on them.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #3
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Rep Power: 64177 Texans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans_Chick is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yankee_In_TX View Post
Interesting blog. I know several NFL Super Fans that receive monetary gain as their super fan persona and have names that would be similar to:

-Bullpen Ryan
-Texans Ryan

In hindsight, somewhat surprised the teams have never cracked down on them.
I think that smart brands cannot have enough fans, i.e. vested individuals, supporting their team. Authentic supporters of a brand can do more to provide positive advertising than if they bought ads.

Unless a fan is being particularly in their face about using the team commercially, I think they will generally be ok about things.

The future of brand and team fandom in the Web 2.0 world is engagement and identity. They want fans to see themselves as Teamname Guy.
Old 03-05-2012   #4
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post
I think that smart brands cannot have enough fans, i.e. vested individuals, supporting their team. Authentic supporters of a brand can do more to provide positive advertising than if they bought ads.

Unless a fan is being particularly in their face about using the team commercially, I think they will generally be ok about things.

The future of brand and team fandom in the Web 2.0 world is engagement and identity. They want fans to see themselves as Teamname Guy.
Well, unless were talking about Joe Texan. Otherwise, I agree with your point.
Old 03-06-2012   #5
Texans_Chick
Utopian Dreamer

Bill, you are a bad bad mans.

You are also hilarious.
Old 03-06-2012   #6
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

MINE! This is mine and that is mine and that over there is mine too! I thought I found something once that was not mine but it turned out to be mine also.
And if you read my post don't take it with you in your mind because it is MINE!
Old 03-08-2012   #7
Yankee_In_TX
Dance Lindsay!

Rep Power: 10048 Yankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respectedYankee_In_TX is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Yankee_In_TX
Cool Re: Clipper Darrell and The Legal Issues of Super Fandom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texans_Chick View Post

I 100% agree - but I mean, let's say I host an event, with a player, making $ for me and the player, hosted by 'Bullpen Ryan' or 'Texans Ryan.' I know folks like that an am surprised, not that I think about it, that they have not gotten nasty letters from their respective teams.
Only fan in Ohio in 2002 :) Glad I moved to Texas!
117 C BullPen
Sigh.
Yankee_In_TX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-08-2012   #8
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 117755 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Well, unless were talking about Joe Texan. Otherwise, I agree with your point.
...or Texan Bill or sumthin'.
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2012   #9
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
...or Texan Bill or sumthin'.
But I'm an ASSet to the team.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texan Tailgate
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read