Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2012   #121
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49424 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans come to terms with Arian Foster

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
YOU, my friend, are a master!!! GREAT pic!!
Thank you Ma'am.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #122
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Yep,that's correct,that's how I see it.
Pretty nice deal for both sides. I love it when both parties act with some respect and honor. Texans willing to reward him well and Foster not obsessing about being the highest paid in the league. I'm sure being an UDFA, a check for $15 million looks awfully nice.
Old 03-05-2012   #123
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49424 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SheTexan View Post
YOU, my friend, are a master!!! GREAT pic!!
Here is a link to a wallpaper sized version.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #124
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
To add on to this from Jason La Canfora:

Arian Foster joins AP and CJ atop RB $$ ranks. $43.5M over 5 years, $20.75M guar, $30m in 1st 3 years of deal, $18M in 2012. #insideslant

Goodbye, Mario.
So let's say you're Arian Foster & you (& your agent) think you are worth as much as Adrian Peterson, DMC, etc...

The thing to do is play this contract through the first three years, collecting $10M/yr (30M over the first 3 years), then ask for a new deal after the 3rd year.

That's basically what Andre did, & if Arian proves to be our best player over the next 3 years, it's going to be hard to say no..... it's also going to be hard to say yes to a RB with 6 years on the odometer.
Old 03-05-2012   #125
TexansRule1
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 TexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexansRule1 is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's an example of how the numbers could work out

$14 Million signing bonus

2012 - $4.0 mil salary + $2.8 mil prorated bonus = $6.8 mil cap hit
2013 - $5.2 mil salary + $2.8 mil prorated bonus = $8.0 mil cap hit
2014 - $6.8 mil salary + $2.8 mil prorated bonus = $9.6 mil cap hit
2015 - $6.8 mil salary + $2.8 mil prorated bonus = $9.6 mil cap hit
2016 - $7.0 mil salary + $2.8 mil prorated bonus = $9.8 mil cap hit

Check my math...
1) First Year $18 mil = $14 mil signing bonus + $4 mil salary
2) 3 years $30 mil = $14 mil signing bonus + $16 mil in salary
3) Total deal $43 mil - $14 mil signing bonus + 29.8 mil in salary

Overall, a good deal (not great but very solid by front office) for a future Hall of Famer and a critical fit to the team.
TexansRule1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #126
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
D. Williams got a 16 M signing bonus so lets base Fosters off this....we will round his to an even 15 to make it more simple math

his bonus would be UP FRONT, thats why it is reported he gets 18 MILLION this SEASON, but for cap purposes it is prorated over the life of the contract, meaning for 5 seasons 3 M will count against our cap (unless we cut or trade him prior to his contract expiring)

Now he is guaranteed 20.75 and it is payed in the first 3 seasons, we will assume he took the LEAST amount this season to help our team and salary cap plus he gets a massive cash bonus. That means the AVERAGE IS 6.92 M, but you cannot increase a salary more than 30% each season, SO I will take away 30% in year one, give him the average (6.92) in year 2 and increase that 30% in year 3

Then you would take the first 3 years of 20.75 and subtract it from the total contract 43.5 and would have 22.75 left for the last 2 seasons

Year 1 - 3M (signing bonus) + 4.84 M = 7.84 against cap
Year 2 - 3M (signing bonus) + 6.92 M = 9.92 against cap
Year 3 - 3M (signing bonus) + 9 M = 12 against cap
Year 4 - 3 M (signing bonus) + 11.375 M = 14.375 against cap
Year 5 - 3 M (signing bonus) + 11.375 M = 14.375 against cap

This would be MY GUESS how this is structured, could be slightly different because some of this could be incentives
I think you got your numbers crossed somewhere. The total contract is rumored to be worth $43.5 million and includes a hard guarantee of $20.75 million.

Yours adds up to $58.51 million. Other than that, thanks for the leg work.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #127
XI CMURDER IX
Gig 'em

Rep Power: 1517 XI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respectedXI CMURDER IX is a quality contributor and well respected

I think we will be pleasantly surprised by the end of free agency going into the draft. I still expect some players to be cut in favor of draft choices, and better producing yet cheap free agents. Jacoby Jones I am looking straight at you my friend...
XI CMURDER IX is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012   #128
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 23128 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Pretty nice deal for both sides. I love it when both parties act with some respect and honor. Texans willing to reward him well and Foster not obsessing about being the highest paid in the league. I'm sure being an UDFA, a check for $15 million looks awfully nice.
Yep and it falls in line with paying mario and meyers
Old 03-05-2012   #129
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty darn good deal if you ask me. Foster deserves his big payday, and this shouldn't cripple us in terms of the cap. Hopefully we see some action on our other FAs in the next couple days now.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #130
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
Yep and it falls in line with paying mario and meyers
I'll take the bait:

You are correct.

However, I see the Mario Williams situation more like Dunta Robinson.
Old 03-05-2012   #131
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Ric paid him and Arian did not have to write anything on his shoes. Can you imagine how the MB will explode if we sign Mario at a similar deal and have some cap space left over to use?
Old 03-05-2012   #132
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post

Check my math...

Overall, a good deal (not great but very solid by front office) for a future Hall of Famer and a critical fit to the team.

Yup not bad. Repped
Old 03-05-2012   #133
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 67619 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
I'll take the bait:

You are correct.

However, I see the Mario Williams situation more like Dunta Robinson.
The Robinson situation blew up because Dunta felt insulted by Rick Smith and claims he was told to his face that he wasn't the kind of corner anyone would pay big money to or franchise tag. Smith was clearly 100% wrong on both counts as he franchised D-Rob and ATL gave him his big contract.

I don't see Smith insulting Mario when he is the consensus best free agent on the market and everyone knows he's going to break the bank.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #134
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

I am so excited! This news made me get out of bed! Good thing too, cause I would have missed a class, but this is just awesome. Now lets hope we can get Myers and maybe even Mario!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #135
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So let's say you're Arian Foster & you (& your agent) think you are worth as much as Adrian Peterson, DMC, etc...

The thing to do is play this contract through the first three years, collecting $10M/yr (30M over the first 3 years), then ask for a new deal after the 3rd year.

That's basically what Andre did, & if Arian proves to be our best player over the next 3 years, it's going to be hard to say no..... it's also going to be hard to say yes to a RB with 6 years on the odometer.
I'll take the 3 years and run with it.

If he pulls and AJ and IF he's worth it after the initial 3 years, that's a bridge i cross when I get there. But three years, now, is a good starting point.

Good analysis, btw, of bringing up the possibility of Arian doing what AJ did. Get the money up-front, now, and then come back for a new deal 3 yrs down the road if things are going swimmingly.
Old 03-05-2012   #136
Hardcore Texan
Magnet Man

Rep Power: 19489 Hardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedHardcore Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
I am waiting on that news. I just value building from the trenches and when you get good pieces you got to lock those up...... and that doesn't even mention Duane Brown needing to be extended just around the corner.
Well losing Mario makes all that possible, unfortunately, I don't want to see him go but it does solve a lot of problems financially.
Old 03-05-2012   #137
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mario gives a comparable hometown discount, like Arian did, then it sets up nicely for the Texans. It makes the locker room VERY cohesive and VERY elated.

It would show that everyone who signs is interested in winning first and foremost. I'd be down with that.
Old 03-05-2012   #138
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 3398 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

This is great news. But from this signing I think that still puts Mario as our top priority. Foster got a 5 year $43.5M contract with $20.75M guaranteed. He makes $18M in his 1st season and $30M total in the first 3 seasons. Relax. His cap number is likely not $18M for 2012. The $18M is likely mostly signing bonus which is prorates over the 5 year contract. I'm thinking something like $15M SB + $3M base for 2012. So his cap hit might be around $6M.

This is good news for Mario (and Myers). We have 17 FA salaries coming off the books on March 13th (only 12 roster spots because 5 salaries were added as IR replacements). One of those salaries is Mario's $18 million. One of those is Chris Myer's salary. He had a 4 year $11 million contract. With Foster only accounting for $6M of that in 2012, we can give $10M of it to Mario and the remaining $2M we can add to whatever Myers has coming off the books from last year. See we just took care of our top 3 priorities with Mario Williams' salary from 2011. The rest of our FA's will not cost nearly as much (and we have 15 salaries to account for 9 other roster spots). Keep in mind we are going to draft some rookies to fill some roster spots. Oh yeah and we have three $1.5 contract exceptions (contracts that won't count against the salary cap). So we have 15 salaries to cover 6 roster spots. Oh yeah and we have three $1.5 contract exception (contracts that won't count against the salary cap). So we have 15 salaries to cover 6 roster spots.

So I expect for us to go hard in negotiations over the next week and try to nab those 2 before FA begins March 13th.

Last edited by cbs1507; 03-05-2012 at 02:17 PM.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #139
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 12478 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexansRule1 View Post

Check my math...

Too much IMHO, for what we want to accomplish, but meh we'll just have to see. And let's not talk about him hitting HOF ballot just yet?

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #140
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 71966 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Congrats to Arian!

Nice job, Rick & Co. Now get Meyers, Brisiel and the others taken care of. We need to keep the big nasties together.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read