Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-09-2012   #121
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss
Default Re: TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
If Yates didn't play for the Texans and was some guy on the Titans he'd be laughed at in here and held in the same regard Gabbert is in Jacksonville right now. I really really hope that Leinart can restructure his contract and compete to keep his 2nd string job so people can end this delusion that Yates will ever be a great starter in this league or a guy that should lead the Texans.
I agree going into the season with Yates as our number 1 would be detrimental to his development in this league.

But you don't see a difference between Tj & GAbbert?

Really?
Old 03-09-2012   #122
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

but Gabbert has catch phases

Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #123
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 114917 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree going into the season with Yates as our number 1 would be detrimental to his development in this league.

But you don't see a difference between Tj & GAbbert?

Really?
It's a little unfair to compare TJ and his supporting cast(top 3 O-Line, AJ, Foster, OD, etc.) to Gabbert and the clown shoes he was playing with.

I'm not saying that he wasn't bad, but it isn't like they gave him any help.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #124
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now and realize that Manning has taken his team to the SB twice and you missed the playoffs with no QB after Schaub couldn't go on his foot more than a couple of games into this coming season. And, you had the chance to bring Manning here and didn't take it. I realize this is highly theoretical, but could happen. It is evident from the news coming out of NFL.com (no particular link) that a lot of people think Manning will be healthy and ready to go next season from the number of teams pursuing him. A lot of football people on there think Houston is an SB "waiting to happen" with Manning at the helm.

Kubiak and the FO would have a lot of egg on their faces at this point.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #125
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

depends on the price

Manning is a hit and miss for about 29 of 32 GM's
(or so)

same as Drew Brees was with teams a few yeas ago (however Drew was young still)
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #126
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now and realize that Manning has taken his team to the SB twice and you missed the playoffs with no QB after Schaub couldn't go on his foot more than a couple of games into this coming season. And, you had the chance to bring Manning here and didn't take it. I realize this is highly theoretical, but could happen. It is evident from the news coming out of NFL.com (no particular link) that a lot of people think Manning will be healthy and ready to go next season from the number of teams pursuing him. A lot of football people on there think Houston is an SB "waiting to happen" with Manning at the helm.

Kubiak and the FO would have a lot of egg on their faces at this point.
Manning has gone to the superbowl twice in 14 years and has a 9-10 record as a starting QB in the playoffs with four of those coming in his lone superbowl win.

To think he's all the sudden going to go to back to back superbowls at 36 coming off of multiple neck surgeries ... is kinda far fetched.

I'd steer clear of the guy .... What you are getting for your multiple millions isnt likely a Superbowl appearance much less a superbowl win .... You are buying his past accomplishments. Tho many , I dont think he's worth the gamble.

And why the hell is this thread in the Texans section instead of the NFL section .....

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #127
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post

I really really hope that Leinart can restructure his contract and compete to keep his 2nd string job so people can end this delusion
delusion huh??
Old 03-10-2012   #128
Premier
All Pro

Rep Power: 10262 Premier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respectedPremier is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
And why the hell is this thread in the Texans section instead of the NFL section .....
Thread titled "TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?"

Old 03-10-2012   #129
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 206631 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Premier View Post
Thread titled "TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?"
It was semi-sarcasm .... Since every thread turns into "the latest hot FA" Go ahead , click the link.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #130
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 257888 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now and realize that Manning has taken his team to the SB twice and you missed the playoffs with no QB after Schaub couldn't go on his foot more than a couple of games into this coming season.
How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now & realize that Manning never played another down & some team (Miami) wasted a year of their existence thinking he would. In the meantime, You've won two AFC Championship game following the plan that got you to this point.
Old 03-10-2012   #131
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
How would you like to be Kubiak 2 years from now & realize that Manning never played another down & some team (Miami) wasted a year of their existence thinking he would. In the meantime, You've won two AFC Championship game following the plan that got you to this point.
Honestly, I think the Texans will be picking in the top 15 in next years draft.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #132
jaayteetx
Hall of Fame

Section: 623
Rep Power: 29696 jaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respectedjaayteetx is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
They must be trading up then!
Old 03-10-2012   #133
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Aww come on man... you can't drop a steamer like that in our koolaid pitcher with absolutely no explanation...

what do you mean??
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #134
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Aww come on man... you can't drop a steamer like that in our koolaid pitcher with absolutely no explanation...

what do you mean??
Well, just based off of what I think will happen...

I think Mario will be gone, I don't think we are going to get a game breaking WR to play alongside AJ, I don't think Schaub will be healthy to start the season and then when he does play I'm not sure how he will play...I think that foot injury will affect his throwing some...

Our schedule is going to be harder...

I'm afraid that we are going to be rather casual or cavalier about this off-season and not aggresively try to get better. I hope (but fear we are) we don't fall into the trap of "well if we'd have just had Matt Schaub we'd have won the ship"...

I am worried about the tougher schedule we will be playing, Matt being out, Brooks Reed development, injuries that will inevitably happen, WR's, re-signing Myers/Briesel...Wade's second year defense stuff...Tennessee will likely be better...

I just hope they are still hungry down at reliant because this past year is just that...in the past and right now it doesn't mean a whole lot and it especially won't mean anything if we don't improve going forward. If you aren't getting better, you are getting worse...especially in the NFL.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #135
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Rey, I agree that this year will be uphill for us, especially if we pass on Manning. They will have game plans aimed at our weaknesses. We may not have much in the way of offense for reasons you have already enumerated. IMO it won't be as easy next season, Homers not withstanding. Manning never had a defense like ours (mostly without Mario). If we are smart, Reggie Wayne will pay us to play with Manning again. TJ was simply a place holder which was exposed against the Ravens. Maybe he will be good in a few years and maybe not, but I am not ready to turn over the reins to a rookie +1 just yet.
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #136
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 233844 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I think Mario will be gone, I don't think we are going to get a game breaking WR to play alongside AJ, I don't think Schaub will be healthy to start the season and then when he does play I'm not sure how he will play...I think that foot injury will affect his throwing some...

I'm afraid that we are going to be rather casual or cavalier about this off-season and not aggresively try to get better. I hope (but fear we are) we don't fall into the trap of "well if we'd have just had Matt Schaub we'd have won the ship"...

I am worried about the tougher schedule we will be playing, Matt being out, Brooks Reed development, injuries that will inevitably happen, WR's, re-signing Myers/Briesel...Wade's second year defense stuff...Tennessee will likely be better...

I just hope they are still hungry down at reliant because this past year is just that...in the past and right now it doesn't mean a whole lot and it especially won't mean anything if we don't improve going forward. If you aren't getting better, you are getting worse...especially in the NFL.
But I think they ARE still hungry down at Reliant. Andre and Arian got a taste of the playoffs and they liked it. They want more. Schaub is hungry because he missed a chance to get in on the fun. He wants in. They all know how close they were. I think we'll be back as AFCS champs again.

But then, that could be the residual koolaid talking.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #137
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 84789 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
But I think they ARE still hungry down at Reliant. Andre and Arian got a taste of the playoffs and they liked it. They want more. Schaub is hungry because he missed a chance to get in on the fun. He wants in. They all know how close they were. I think we'll be back as AFCS champs again.

I agree completely with this statement, at least that's what I was hearing at the conclusion of last season and I see no reason for this train of thought to derail.

Stay away from the koolaid, 'specially since Rey dropped a steamer in it.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012   #138
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

We've yet to see this team build on success to achieve higher success. That, I think, is one of the hardest things for a coach, to get these guys to understand you're never "good enough"

We've got some "quality" character guys, so we'll see how that works out for us. But we've got plenty of good reasons to be concerned.. with a capital K

Old 03-12-2012   #139
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Ill take it point by point.

1. Mario being gone, while not what I want to see, wont make us any worse than we were on defense last year. I do think if he signs we are better, but for the sake of this argument its a non-event.

2. A running team that already has the best WR in the game doesn't need a "game breaking receiver" to play along side him. We will add depth and it will be fine.

3. Schaub not starting the season may be the best thing that could happen for us. He isn't the future, and I feel with a full camp under his belt TJ will perform very well.

4. We will get better simply by having a full off-season and camp to work with the young players and further develop the defensive scheme. Look for the Texans to have the #1 defense in the league next year hands down.

5. Brooks Reed development is an issue? It will be a bonus.

6. Lastly, the Texans arent concerned with the Tacks, wont need to be for a few years.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012   #140
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 32596 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:

Told y'all this fanbase can't handle success. A team that DIDN'T win it all will settle for finishing with a heartbreaking loss in the Divisional playoffs?

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read