Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-07-2012   #101
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
If the deciding point in a game comes in the first quarter, then your team has much more serious problems than just punt returns. Could easily put Schaub's name in that sentence and it has just as much merit.

Schaub needs to play, and play well in order for me to think he has earned an extension. If Yates beats Schaub out in camp then obviously don't extend Schaub, I just don't see that happening right now.
Must Spread Rep.

Damn, I'm tired of that fumbled punt excuse. I totally agree that if you lose a game due to a mistake that you have FIFTY-FIVE MINUTES to overcome, then you have a sad little team.

We lost to the Ravens because T.J. Yates couldn't see anyone else to throw to except A.J. and the Ravens' D (mainly Ed Reed) suckered him all game long to the tune of three INTs.

Yates is NOT ready to start.
Old 03-07-2012   #102
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 114277 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Come tomorrow, Yates will be back in the third string position... After all, Peyton Manning will be released so he'll be our #1 with Lienart at the #2, while Matty "the Foot" continues to rehab!

Now just cut THAT OUT!
Old 03-07-2012   #103
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 79376 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
Now just cut THAT OUT!

It's what I live for!!
Old 03-07-2012   #104
DonnyMost
lol football :D

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is getting his extension and he's going to start for us for another 5-6 years. Deal with it.

The only way that changes is if his foot falls off or he's hit by an asteroid, and even in the 1st circumstance I'm not entirely sure.
DonnyMost is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #105
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DonnyMost View Post
Schaub is getting his extension and he's going to start for us for another 5-6 years. Deal with it.
I would hope the organization is smarter than that.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #106
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:

The only way that changes is if his foot falls off or he's hit by an asteroid, and even in the 1st circumstance I'm not entirely sure.
As far as the Tj Yates vs Schabu debate goes, I think we're all in agreement here. I don't think anyone has said that Tj should start over a healthy Matt Schaub (I'll go back & look though).

What I believe the discussion now is, what to do if Schaub is not healthy week 1.

I personally don't believe Tj needs to be out there at the beginning of the season. I still think he needs to come in, if our play-off chances are gone, or due to injury.

I think Tj Yates is a #2 QB right now. So without a healthy Schaub, I propose we go with Leinart & see what happens. I'm not concerned with Leinart failing under the pressure of having to win. Or proving that he is not a Starter in this league. Tj, I think, still has a high ceiling & I don't want to screw that up.

If Schaub is healthy, then Leinart's gone & Tj is still our #2. But that's just me.
Old 03-07-2012   #107
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
As far as the Tj Yates vs Schabu debate goes, I think we're all in agreement here. I don't think anyone has said that Tj should start over a healthy Matt Schaub (I'll go back & look though).

What I believe the discussion now is, what to do if Schaub is not healthy week 1.

I personally don't believe Tj needs to be out there at the beginning of the season. I still think he needs to come in, if our play-off chances are gone, or due to injury.

I think Tj Yates is a #2 QB right now. So without a healthy Schaub, I propose we go with Leinart & see what happens. I'm not concerned with Leinart failing under the pressure of having to win. Or proving that he is not a Starter in this league. Tj, I think, still has a high ceiling & I don't want to screw that up.

If Schaub is healthy, then Leinart's gone & Tj is still our #2. But that's just me.
If Schaub isn't healthy week 1 I'm way more confident in TJ Yates than I am Matt Leinart. I don't even know why Leinart is still on the roster, to me TJ played himself into the backup spot. Maybe it's not fair to Leinart but everything about TJ Yates rookie had "Decent backup" written all over him.

If Schaub does get extended I hope it's after having a spectacular 2012 season. He's not completely proven himself to be a guy that we can stand behind the next 5 or 6 years.
Sponsored links
Old 03-07-2012   #108
DonnyMost

Rep Power: 2773 DonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respectedDonnyMost is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I have no reason to believe Schaub won't be ready come week 1, and until I hear otherwise from a doctor, I'm not going to waste time or effort thinking about it.

And yes, Leinart is toast.
Old 03-07-2012   #109
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 56992 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I have no reason to believe Schaub won't be ready come week 1, and until I hear otherwise from a doctor, I'm not going to waste time or effort thinking about it.

And yes, Leinart is toast.
OK, here's what a pretty good doctor had to say about it:

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
As GP alluded to, Marcus has the unfortunate experience of having gained his experience first hand. Trying to help redirect him from a surgeon who apparently had poor knowledge and a poor approach to his Lisfranc situation to the physician who ultimately performed the difficult repair, is when I first "met" Marcus. As bad as it has been, Marcus is quite modest in relating the long and traumatic road that he has travelled. All my respect to you, Marcus. You never gave up........or let up.

Now, let's look at where we may be with Schaub.

This is where the most crucial stabilizing ligament in a Lisfanc injury is torn.

For the the foot to regain stability, this connection must be restabilized with hardware until it has an opportunity to heal and regain strength.. In Schaub's case this was reportedly performed with the use of screws.

Below is an example of a Lisfranc stabilization. Note the diagonal screw that follows the course of the Lisfranc ligament shown above.

Because the plates or screws will be placed across joints that normally are expected to have some motion, this hardware is usually removed somewhere between 3 and 6 months after surgery at the surgeon's discretion and according to the healing progress. The hardware removal is performed because when stresses are placed on them, they can break. Just as a paperclip will fail if bent repeatedly, hardware metal (in this case, screws) can fatigue and fail under stress conditions further comlicating the "recovery." It has been reported that anywhere between 25% to 50% of these hardware-repaired patients may fail and go on to require permanent bone fusion of the joint(s) resulting in the entire loss of joint mobility. In fact, as high as 75% reoperation rate for reasons other than hardware removal has been reported

Furthermore, the goal of any surgery addressing a Lisfranc injury is not only to restore the patient's anatomy, but also to preserve the involved joints. There are numerous studies implicating traumatic impact as sources of cartilage death. Transarticular (through the joint) screw placement requires drilling across an intact cartilage layer that has already sustained traumatic insult. This “second hit” may exacerbate an already complicated problem, and, potentially, accelerate the posttraumatic arthritic process. Extra-articular (outside the joint) bridge plate fixation (see below) offers a means of addressing these Lisfranc injuries without joint violation........i.e., without the screws going the the joints). But there is no mention of plates being utilized in Schaub's case.

Of course, Schaub could have a perfectly functional recovery. No one can say positively otherwise at this point. But all of the stars will have to be in very accomodating alignment. He has quite a number of obstacles he must overcome. Regaining movement. Overcoming usually significant pain.......sometimes chronic, permanent and debilitating. Avoiding the fear of re-injury. Avoiding re-injury.......even when not playing against Haynesworth. Being able to maximize stress on his back plant leg while passing. Pushing off during play action or avoiding the rush.

Yes, Schaub will be able to return to the field at one point in time. But for how long and how functional?...........maybe for a couple of days after which he and the coaches decide it isn't going to "happen"...............or for a couple of Super Bowls...............or somewhere in between. Although we have been told that he suffered several fractures in his Lisfranc injury, we don't really have all the details of his injury, which makes predictions that much more difficult to offer. One thing we do know is that ANY Lisfranc injury is very serious injury for all of those that must at least walk around for a living.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #110
DonnyMost

Quote:
Originally Posted by drs23 View Post
OK, here's what a pretty good doctor had to say about it:
Thanks for finding that, good info. All of the variables, doubts, and unknowns described in that post (it's pretty awesome we have a surgeon on this board, btw) make me feel like I should've clarified myself. I'm not waiting to hear from a doctor, I'm waiting to hear from his doctor.
Old 03-07-2012   #111
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I love this kind of thinking.

Tj may very well start for the Texans because Schaub may not be healthy enough to start the season. So, we cut Schaub & bring in Peyton Manning.... a guy who may never play football again.

I do agree, the powers that be need to plan for a healthy Schaub, a Schaub that won't be ready to play week 1, & a Schaub that will never play again.

That option should be cheap, with a relatively fair chance of success.

We didn't make the AFC Championship game, because our QB threw 3 Interceptions & our defense did not create 1. Had Jj not fumbled that punt, we still would have lost if those two stats weren't changed.

I think the Texans have thought about our future & Matt Leinart is our answer. Not that Leinart is our future, he's our insurance. Leinart will compete with Yates for the job behind Schaub, just like Kubiak said.

Depending how the season turns out, Schaub takes us to the Promised land (this is a do or die season for Schaub), Leinart takes us, Tj takes us....... or we make moves in the 2013 off-season to find our starting QB.
I think you meant to be sarcastic in your opening comment. You obviously belief you think better than others on this board.

But, then you go on to lay out the argument for obtaining Peyton Manning. According to my interpretation of what CloaknnnDagger said there is a better than even chance that Schaub may never play again and a better than even chance that Peyton will. So we are on the horns of a dilemma anyway. Anything I said was, of course, predicated on the fact that Peyton is/will be healthy. I would not recommend hiring anyone without knowing whether they can play.

If TJ or Leinart starts the season we will probably have a high draft choice next year so maybe we can find a QB then. That is sarcasm !
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #112
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
If TJ or Leinart starts the season we will probably have a high draft choice next year
We will win the SB next year with Yates starting unless we sign Peyton and then we go for back to back to back SB's. IMHO.
Old 03-09-2012   #113
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
We will win the SB next year with Yates starting unless we sign Peyton and then we go for back to back to back SB's. IMHO.
Dear lord please just stop. How do you manage to completely give the game to the Ravens repeatedly and then all of a sudden TJ is going to win a SB? You're drunk, high, blinded by homerism, or a combination of all three. I'm almost certain you're from the Colts forum and just lonely or bored.
Old 03-09-2012   #114
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Dear lord please just stop. How do you manage to completely give the game to the Ravens repeatedly and then all of a sudden TJ is going to win a SB? You're drunk, high, blinded by homerism, or a combination of all three. I'm almost certain you're from the Colts forum and just lonely or bored.
TJ was a rookie thrown to the Wolves. With an off-season, camp, and taking all the first team reps he will be fine. Better athlete and better leader than Matt, so he would be my choice. All Matt has on TJ is experience, so give the kid some experience. Anyway, we don't know if Matt will ever take another snap, so I will go with the sure thing over a maybe any day. Yates would be my starter day one, unless the planets align and we sign Peyton.
Old 03-09-2012   #115
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
TJ was a rookie thrown to the Wolves. With an off-season, camp, and taking all the first team reps he will be fine. Better athlete and better leader than Matt, so he would be my choice. All Matt has on TJ is experience, so give the kid some experience. Anyway, we don't know if Matt will ever take another snap, so I will go with the sure thing over a maybe any day. Yates would be my starter day one, unless the planets align and we sign Peyton.
Hey CK, you've got something on your chin.

Old 03-09-2012   #116
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 75757 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I reckon you had quite the childhood with that imagination of yours
Old 03-09-2012   #117
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:

Old 03-09-2012   #118
ObsiWan
Contributor

Quote:

tacky...
funny, but tacky
Old 03-09-2012   #119
alicetxjj
waterboy

Rep Power: 0 alicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Fameralicetxjj is a Hall of Famer

Schauby for 2012 until he gets injured again. then i'd like to see TJ earn the starting job by playing great and staying healthy.
alicetxjj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012   #120
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

TJ Yates was terrible. He'll be a career back up and if he ever gets a chance to start from the beginning of the season he'll be a mid level QB like Mark Sanchez at best.

The only reason why this guy even remotely is relevant on this board and in this city is because he got to start a few games last season by default since two other QB's in front of him got hurt.

This an entire idea to even question him vs. Schaub is a joke and really disrespectful to a guy like Schaub that has put up great numbers for years on a bad team where he has been around the top 10 of the league at QB for at least around 3 years now.

If Yates didn't play for the Texans and was some guy on the Titans he'd be laughed at in here and held in the same regard Gabbert is in Jacksonville right now. I really really hope that Leinart can restructure his contract and compete to keep his 2nd string job so people can end this delusion that Yates will ever be a great starter in this league or a guy that should lead the Texans.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read