Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-05-2012   #81
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 97647 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #82
Hookem Horns
That Server Guy

Rep Power: 79189 Hookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respectedHookem Horns is a quality contributor and well respected

Before I even make my comment I apologize, I have been extremely busy and don't have time to read the entire thread.

TJ did great for a 5th round rookie however after a few games he played as would be expected for a 5th round rookie. It's no knock on him all things considered. I strongly feel we would have beaten the Ravens with a competent QB like Schaub.

I am not a huge Shaub fan however personally I didn't see enough in TJ Yates to feel he should take over this team, at least not next season.

For one to be saying ditch Schaub and let's go with Yates is crazy IMO, especially because the team is so close.
Hookem Horns is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #83
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookem Horns View Post
Before I even make my comment I apologize, I have been extremely busy and don't have time to read the entire thread.

TJ did great for a 5th round rookie however after a few games he played as would be expected for a 5th round rookie. It's no knock on him all things considered. I strongly feel we would have beaten the Ravens with a competent QB like Schaub.

I am not a huge Shaub fan however personally I didn't see enough in TJ Yates to feel he should take over this team, at least not next season.

For one to be saying ditch Schaub and let's go with Yates is crazy IMO, especially because the team is so close.
100% agreed, HH
Old 03-05-2012   #84
Perki-Perk
DieHard Texan!

Section: Wolfies, Table 16
Rep Power: 4782 Perki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respectedPerki-Perk is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is crazy in my opinion. I've said time and again, were Shaub in that game, there is a high probability we would of been playing and subsequently beating the Patriots and landing ourselves in the Super Bowl. With our team on the cusp of great things, some of you would throw TJ to the wolves and rid yourselves of Shaub. I'm not a big fan (of Shaub), don't even own a Shaub jersey, but I certainly don't believe that TJ Yates is the answer....this year. Nor is Manning (Kubes and Head would bump heads and kill the chemistry on this team, also, imo) Shaub, if healthy, can get us there.
Old 03-05-2012   #85
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perki-Perk View Post
This thread is crazy in my opinion. I've said time and again, were Shaub in that game, there is a high probability we would of been playing and subsequently beating the Patriots and landing ourselves in the Super Bowl. With our team on the cusp of great things, some of you would throw TJ to the wolves and rid yourselves of Shaub. I'm not a big fan (of Shaub), don't even own a Shaub jersey, but I certainly don't believe that TJ Yates is the answer....this year. Nor is Manning (Kubes and Head would bump heads and kill the chemistry on this team, also, imo) Shaub, if healthy, can get us there.
I can't go with you on this one cus Schaub has never won against the Ravens and lost to them earlier in the year. While Schaub may not have thrown 3 INT's he may have been sacked a whole heck of a lot. I don't think the Texans win if they do have Schaub at QB.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2012   #86
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 50843 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I can't go with you on this one cus Schaub has never won against the Ravens and lost to them earlier in the year. While Schaub may not have thrown 3 INT's he may have been sacked a whole heck of a lot. I don't think the Texans win if they do have Schaub at QB.
Schaub was sacked 16 times this year in 10 full games, and we passed a lot more in those games. TJ was sacked 15 times in 6 games. You do the math.
Old 03-05-2012   #87
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 42947 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Schaub was sacked 16 times this year in 10 full games, and we passed a lot more in those games. TJ was sacked 15 times in 6 games. You do the math.
My point was Schaub's lack of mobility compared to TJ's and the pass rush the Ravens provide.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-05-2012   #88
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
My point was Schaub's lack of mobility compared to TJ's and the pass rush the Ravens provide.
But athleticism is only one piece of the puzzle. Schaub makes smarter movements within the pocket and feels the pressure better. TJ is definitely more slippery but if you move in the wrong direction or realize you are going to need to move too late you're still taking as many if not more sacks.
Old 03-05-2012   #89
Lucky

Rep Power: 119828 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Schaub makes smarter movements within the pocket and feels the pressure better.
That's never really been a strong point of Matt's game. Let's say this: Schaub does a better job of throwing the ball away. That's something TJ really needs to work on.
Old 03-05-2012   #90
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the defense played a way better game the second time around, seconded by the oline and run game. It's not a foregone conclusion that Schaub would've won the game; don't think it would have hurt us.
Old 03-06-2012   #91
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
That's never really been a strong point of Matt's game. Let's say this: Schaub does a better job of throwing the ball away. That's something TJ really needs to work on.
As opposed to play fake where I will compare Schaub to the top in the league, in this instance I only said better than TJ. Didn't say it was something he was great at, only better than the current competition in this discussion. And I will stand by that. Schaub senses the pressure and reacts to it better than TJ although less athletic. Now that additional athleticism absolutely saves TJ some sacks as well - of course that gets back to the age old question, would he have needed to move so fast if he had moved earlier or smarter.
Old 03-06-2012   #92
KA4Texan
C27A

Rep Power: 5487 KA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respectedKA4Texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
So what's your plan if Schaub isn't ready week 1?

What if we have to P.U.P. him?

Who starts for that 9 weeks?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
Likely Yates unless they bring in another player at the position .... and there isnt much out there on the scrap heap that can beat Yates out of that #2 spot.
^This, there is a difference between Yates (or anyone else) filling in for Schaub and replacing Schaub altogether.

IF someone comes in to fill in for Schaub and gets it done better than Schaub consistency fine, discuss moving forward, BUT to scream replace with such a limited resume as Yates has right now in the NFL is as I stated in my opinion is foolish.

You don't hang your hat on a guy that did a good job "for a rookie" you hang your hat on the guy that did a good job. (without the "consideration" by that) and Schaub does a good job, is he the best, no, but all things considered we don't need a Manning or Brady. (insert any other QB that floats your boat) it would be nice sure, but not a necessity.

If he hadn't been a rookie thrown into the grinder so soon then I would have been just as angry with TJ as I was Jacoby. (If not more so)
Old 03-06-2012   #93
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
As opposed to play fake where I will compare Schaub to the top in the league, in this instance I only said better than TJ. Didn't say it was something he was great at, only better than the current competition in this discussion. And I will stand by that. Schaub senses the pressure and reacts to it better than TJ although less athletic. Now that additional athleticism absolutely saves TJ some sacks as well - of course that gets back to the age old question, would he have needed to move so fast if he had moved earlier or smarter.
I think there is only one guy better in the league right now .... and there is no guarantee that guy plays another down in the NFL. There was a time not too long ago I thought Schaub could do a better job hiding the ball ... but after you pointed it out the last time , I went back and reviewed those plays .... I came away with a new opinion.

Schaubs play fakes are a big part of how Kubiak & Co's scheme's get guy's like #80 .... lost in space open.
I mean .... how else does a guy with three defenders having responsibility on him end up with no one within 10 yards of him ? Schaubs sells it well ....

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #94
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I'd rather take a sack or throwing the ball away vs 3 ints

I love the people who talk about Yates' great mobility vs schaub's poor mobility but Yates was taking more sacks than schaub lol
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #95
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Likely Yates unless they bring in another player at the position .... and there isnt much out there on the scrap heap that can beat Yates out of that #2 spot.
Come tomorrow, Yates will be back in the third string position... After all, Peyton Manning will be released so he'll be our #1 with Lienart at the #2, while Matty "the Foot" continues to rehab!

Old 03-06-2012   #96
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IIIRC, the Texans offensive line absolutely dominated the Ravens pass rush. They couldn't get any pressure on TJ. It was their secondary that did him in that game. If Schaub were in there and had that same type of protection there's no doubt in my mind we would have won that game.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #97
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 88913 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

IF I recall, the Texans averaged about 26 or so points a game with Schaub.

with TJ (understandably so as a rookie) what did we average? about 16 pr 17?

TJ needs some more seasoning
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #98
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69152 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

The spread was just over 10 between the two iirc
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #99
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
The spread was just over 10 between the two iirc
Quote:
Texans offense with Schaub 27.3ppg @ a 7-3 record. (.700)

Texans offense without Schaub 18ppg @ a 3-3 (.500) record.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #100
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub is our starter unless he starts to really suck and costs us games then i think TJ should jump in

But yeah if schaub sucks this year like going 1-4 or 3-8 then year nothing matters anymore since we wont be making the playoffs if that happens
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read