Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-03-2012   #1
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected
Default TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

Matt Schaub will make 7.15 million this year and become a free agent in 2013 unless the Texans sign him to an extension.

My question is this, should/will the Texans extend Matt Schaub? Should/will the Texans start TJ Yates ahead of Schaub for the 2012 season?

I pose this question because IMO I think Matt may have found himself in no man's land unless he stays healthy all year and guides the Texans to an AFC South title. I say this because in 2013 he turns 32 and what kind of deal would you give a 32 year old NFL player? The current average age for a starting NFL QB is 27.65 and this number may drop further after this years draft.

Out of the 32 teams there are 12 QB's currently in there 30's. Matt Schaub turns 31 before the start of this season, Brees 33, Manning 35, Romo 31, Cassel 30, Brady 34, the other Manning 31, Big Ben 30, Rivers 30, Grossman 31, Vick 31, Palmer 32.

Out of this group of 30yo there are only a few I can say will continue to perform at a high level getting you to a Superbowl. Brady, Eli, and Big Ben. The other aforementioned QB's, IMO, are seeing the twilight of their careers. Brees just got the franchise tag and compiled with all the offseason distractions I expect them to have a bad year and he will be 34 next year. I think last year was Brees' window and he missed it, P. Manning may never play again, Romo is over-rated, Vick can't stay healthy (Schaub), Palmer is over-rated, Rivers is over-rated, Grossman sux, Cassel is a back up.

So what do you do with a 32yo Schaub? Up to this year he had played 5 season from 2007-2011. In 2007, 2008, and 2011 he has finished the season on IR. Only 2009 and 2010 has he completed a full season. He has won 31 games and lost 32, he is also 8-14 in the division. The only good thing I can say about Schaub is his home record is 20-11. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...aMa00/gamelog/

I think Kubiak and Smith need to sit down with one another and make a decision on Schaub before the season gets under way. Is Schaub the future? Are you going to extend his contract? What does Schaub offer the Texans that TJ Yates does not? I also think you have to take into account that the Texans are about to play a brutal schedule.

I personally would take Yates and start him over Schaub this year. This is why. He is younger, more athletic and mobile, has a stronger arm, and shows up in big games. Schaub was never mobile to begin with and now will play with a screw in his foot. What Schaub brings to the table over TJ is his years of experience, and accuracy.

IMO in big time games Schaub has reverted back to being a back up QB. I don't think Schaub would have won that game against the Bengals last year to win the division. And I say this based on his prime time record (it's an O'fer) and his division record (every division game is huge. The amendment to that being you have already won the division and you are not playing for anything).

This is a perfect time to find out what we have in TJ. A tough schedule is perfect to evaluate him. Does he have the stones to hang? You know we are going to get some prime time games, how does he react to the pressure of the nation watching? At worse we still win the division but see enough of TJ and his abilities to know he is not the future so we are drafting a QB in 2013.

So what would you do with an aging QB that has started 64 out of 80 games missing 20% of his starts? He couldn't stay healthy in his 20's I don't see him suddenly getting better with age and a screw in his foot.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #2
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: TJ Yates or Matt Schaub?

If Schaub is healthy, he should start.

Last edited by Rey; 03-03-2012 at 07:23 PM.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #3
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If Schaub is healthy, he should start.
If Schaub is healthy Schaub will start. No doubt about that.

While Yates has a lot of good qualities and skill , he has a long way to go to become the type of QB that could displace Schaub.

If it were up to me , I'd likely extend Schaub 2-3 years giving Yates plenty of time to hone his craft .... and then re-evaluate the situation.

Yates at this point in his career is a hell of a backup plan .... should disaster happen.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #4
thetexanator
All Pro

Rep Power: 3484 thetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respectedthetexanator is a quality contributor and well respected

schaub should start AND we need a veteran qb. tj can wait.
thetexanator is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #5
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 265614 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Uhhh, huh?
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #6
EllisUnit
Serving Koolaid

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 87155 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
Matt Schaub will make 7.15 million this year and become a free agent in 2013 unless the Texans sign him to an extension.

My question is this, should/will the Texans extend Matt Schaub? Should/will the Texans start TJ Yates ahead of Schaub for the 2012 season?

I pose this question because IMO I think Matt may have found himself in no man's land unless he stays healthy all year and guides the Texans to an AFC South title. I say this because in 2013 he turns 32 and what kind of deal would you give a 32 year old NFL player? The current average age for a starting NFL QB is 27.65 and this number may drop further after this years draft.

Out of the 32 teams there are 12 QB's currently in there 30's. Matt Schaub turns 31 before the start of this season, Brees 33, Manning 35, Romo 31, Cassel 30, Brady 34, the other Manning 31, Big Ben 30, Rivers 30, Grossman 31, Vick 31, Palmer 32.

Out of this group of 30yo there are only a few I can say will continue to perform at a high level getting you to a Superbowl. Brady, Eli, and Big Ben. The other aforementioned QB's, IMO, are seeing the twilight of their careers. Brees just got the franchise tag and compiled with all the offseason distractions I expect them to have a bad year and he will be 34 next year. I think last year was Brees' window and he missed it, P. Manning may never play again, Romo is over-rated, Vick can't stay healthy (Schaub), Palmer is over-rated, Rivers is over-rated, Grossman sux, Cassel is a back up.

So what do you do with a 32yo Schaub? Up to this year he had played 5 season from 2007-2011. In 2007, 2008, and 2011 he has finished the season on IR. Only 2009 and 2010 has he completed a full season. He has won 31 games and lost 32, he is also 8-14 in the division. The only good thing I can say about Schaub is his home record is 20-11. http://www.pro-football-reference.co...aMa00/gamelog/

I think Kubiak and Smith need to sit down with one another and make a decision on Schaub before the season gets under way. Is Schaub the future? Are you going to extend his contract? What does Schaub offer the Texans that TJ Yates does not? I also think you have to take into account that the Texans are about to play a brutal schedule.

I personally would take Yates and start him over Schaub this year. This is why. He is younger, more athletic and mobile, has a stronger arm, and shows up in big games. Schaub was never mobile to begin with and now will play with a screw in his foot. What Schaub brings to the table over TJ is his years of experience, and accuracy.

IMO in big time games Schaub has reverted back to being a back up QB. I don't think Schaub would have won that game against the Bengals last year to win the division. And I say this based on his prime time record (it's an O'fer) and his division record (every division game is huge. The amendment to that being you have already won the division and you are not playing for anything).

This is a perfect time to find out what we have in TJ. A tough schedule is perfect to evaluate him. Does he have the stones to hang? You know we are going to get some prime time games, how does he react to the pressure of the nation watching? At worse we still win the division but see enough of TJ and his abilities to know he is not the future so we are drafting a QB in 2013.

So what would you do with an aging QB that has started 64 out of 80 games missing 20% of his starts? He couldn't stay healthy in his 20's I don't see him suddenly getting better with age and a screw in his foot.
i agree with most of ur argument except this last part. He showed up in one big game for us, that was against the bengals to secure the AFC south. The first play-off game at home we can say Arian foster carried the team to victory and then the biggest game against baltimore he threw 4 ints. So that statment to me is a little far fetched with all things considered.
Old 03-03-2012   #7
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

There is a chasm between the two. Texans are not going to come this close to SB and go with Yates. Ain't happening. I like Matt but am not his biggest fan. Problem there is not a FA or a draft pick that can replace Matt. I'm seeing an extension as team has no choice.

They might look at EJ Manual but that still does not effect Schaub imo.
Old 03-03-2012   #8
Texans Pride
Hall of Fame

Section: 111, Row Q
Rep Power: 347 Texans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respectedTexans Pride is a quality contributor and well respected

To me, there's no question:

The Texans are poised to make their biggest run than they ever have and Matt Schaub is our best option at this current time. We can go further with Matt's experience and football IQ than we can with Yates.

If we were in a rebuilding phase then I think the argument could be made that paying Schaub isn't in the team's best interest, however, with where we are, and the run we can make, I'd much rather have Schaub under helm.
Texans Pride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #9
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Schaub playing his best season in his career (don't feed me numbers, watch the tape) and you're calling him washed up/unable to perform? Pass the pipe man. Schaub is our starter once healthy, not even a question.
Old 03-03-2012   #10
incubry
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 incubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respectedincubry is a quality contributor and well respected

Really....you went there. I know the forums are slow due to the offseason and lack of activity...but c'mon.
incubry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 141386 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Two very different questions. The latter has an obvious answer: No, you don't start Yates unless Schaub is not healthy.

Whether the Texans should extend Schaub or not is more difficult. Extending Schaub would lower his cap number and allow the Texans more flexibility this offseason. It could also net the Texans a bargain, if Matt has a big season in 2012. Plus, Schaub would not be under the pressure of having to play for a contract.

But, extending Schaub could backfire. If his foot doesn't heal properly, Matt's lack of mobility could restrict the Texans ability to rollout on playaction. It could possibly even affect his throwing accuracy. Extending the contract could anchor the Texans to a QB they may have to bench. It's a worse case scenario, but possible.

I would allow Schaub to play out his last year on the contract. If he has a big year, great. Re-sign him or franchise tag him in 2013. If not, move on with Yates or find another QB. This might hurt the team's chances at re-signing Mario or possibly picking up a vet wideout in free agency. I just think it's too risky to tie Schaub to this franchise, with what we know.
Old 03-03-2012   #12
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

IMO in big time games Schaub has reverted back to being a back up QB. I don't think Schaub would have won that game against the Bengals last year to win the division.
If Schaub was starting that bengals game he doesn't need to come back in the 4th quarter because it would have been another blow out and we would have
put 30+ points up
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #13
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Two very different questions. The latter has an obvious answer: No, you don't start Yates unless Schaub is not healthy.

Whether the Texans should extend Schaub or not is more difficult. Extending Schaub would lower his cap number and allow the Texans more flexibility this offseason. It could also net the Texans a bargain, if Matt has a big season in 2012. Plus, Schaub would not be under the pressure of having to play for a contract.

But, extending Schaub could backfire. If his foot doesn't heal properly, Matt's lack of mobility could restrict the Texans ability to rollout on playaction. It could possibly even affect his throwing accuracy. Extending the contract could anchor the Texans to a QB they may have to bench. It's a worse case scenario, but possible.

I would allow Schaub to play out his last year on the contract. If he has a big year, great. Re-sign him or franchise tag him in 2013. If not, move on with Yates or find another QB. This might hurt the team's chances at re-signing Mario or possibly picking up a vet wideout in free agency. I just think it's too risky to tie Schaub to this franchise, with what we know.
why could not a contract be worked that protects Texans if Schaub's foot is a hindrance?
Old 03-03-2012   #14
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 55500 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

It's worth noting that Schaub did not end the season on the I.R. in 2008. He came back in December and played some great football.

I have no idea whether he can come back from this or not. I hope he does because we can win a Superbowl with a healthy Matt Schaub. I have no doubt about that.
Old 03-03-2012   #15
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Yates no doubt. Give him an off-season and camp with the starters and he will be the best product the Texans have put on the field at QB in the history of the franchise. Kid has fire, and is hungry, and wants to make up for what happened last year. Schaub is injury prone and coming off a tough heal. I think he has seen his last days as a starter unless the Skins take a flyer. Matt did ok here but didnt get us there. Thanks dude, but Yates is the future for now. Matt will end up like Carr, a career back-up.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #16
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post

You have to factor in that this team is a Superbowl Contender with Schaub (and Foster) .... without him , they are what they were in the second half of last season and the playoffs ....

The window of opportunity for this team is likely ~3 years with AJ , Foster , Antonio Smith , D.Manning , J.Jo & others playing at their peaks. I think with the Texans medical staff .... they can evaluate Schaub and project the health of his foot going forward .... Prior to that injury he was playing the best football of his career .... If your medical staff is confident he can recover completely .... Its likely wise to extend him now if it allows you to free up capspace for additional pieces.

Its a gamble .... but one worth taking when a Lombardi trophy is within reach.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Old 03-03-2012   #17
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
You have to factor in that this team is a Superbowl Contender with Schaub (and Foster) .... without him , they are what they were in the second half of last season and the playoffs ....

The window of opportunity for this team is likely ~3 years with AJ , Foster , Antonio Smith , D.Manning , J.Jo & others playing at their peaks. I think with the Texans medical staff .... they can evaluate Schaub and project the health of his foot going forward .... Prior to that injury he was playing the best football of his career .... If your medical staff is confident he can recover completely .... Its likely wise to extend him now if it allows you to free up capspace for additional pieces.

Its a gamble .... but one worth taking when a Lombardi trophy is within reach.
They were SB champs if JarJarBinks doesnt muff.

We are a defense and run first team.

Schaub isnt needed.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #18
WolverineFan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81923 WolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respectedWolverineFan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
They were SB champs if JarJarBinks doesnt muff.

We are a defense and run first team.

Schaub isnt needed.
The team was unbeatable in the middle of the season when the offense was clicking (run and pass).

I think Kubiak calls plays better when Yates is in, which is to say he actually leans on the running game. When Schaub is in he gets pass happy.

That said, Schaub gives us the best chance to win. I'm not his biggest fan, but with this defense and running game he can take us places. When his contract is up you maybe extend him another year and then see what Yates can do. He'd be in his 4th year by then I believe.

- The Immortal Bo
WolverineFan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2012   #19
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Old 03-03-2012   #20
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Okay now I know it's REALLY the offseason...
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read