Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 03-01-2012   #1
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Green Bay Packers raise $67 million in stock sale

Quote:
MILWAUKEE — The Green Bay Packers sold more than 268,000 shares in their most recent stock offering, raising $67 million dollars to help fund stadium improvements, the team said Thursday.

The NFL’s only publicly owned team added more than 250,000 new shareholders during the six-week offering, raising its total to more than 360,000 part-owners of the team.

“I was really pleased with the way our fans responded,” Mark Murphy, the team’s president and CEO, said. “I was a little surprised, to be honest, but on the other hand I’m never surprised by the passion and loyalty of our fans.”

The team initially offered 250,000 shares for sale starting Dec. 6. But the allotment went quickly, with 185,000 shares alone sold within the first 48 hours. So the team made another 30,000 available.

About half the sales came from Wisconsin, which is famous for its rabid Packers fans, known as cheeseheads. Sales were also brisk in the home states of two of the team’s top rivals, the Chicago Bears and Minnesota Vikings.

The shares weren’t cheap, costing $250 each plus handling fees of $25 in the U.S. and $35 in Canada. They’re also essentially worthless.

Packers stock isn’t like regular stock. Its value doesn’t increase, there are no dividends, it has virtually no re-sale value and it doesn’t give buyers any advantage over the 93,000 people on the waiting list for season tickets.

What buyers do get is a piece of paper declaring them a team owner and conferring rights to attend and vote at the annual stockholder meeting, which is held at Lambeau Field each summer before training camp. They also get access to a special line of shareholder apparel.
http://www.rrstar.com/updates/x29784...-in-stock-sale
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #2
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 297218 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Green Bay Packers raise $67 million in stock sale

While I respect the history of the Packers, I have to wonder how this is fair to the other 31 teams? Upgrading their stadium will increase revenue, which in turn gives them cash to sign free agents. Other teams are not allowed to sell stock to raise funds, so it seems like a bit of a double-standard that nobody wants to confront because it's the Packers.
Old 03-02-2012   #3
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 86686 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

go pack go!
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #4
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't really have a problem with it. I'd actually like to see more teams have the option to move to a similar type of ownership structure. Wouldn't mind owning 200 shares of the Houston Texans.
majestrate is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #5
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by majestrate View Post
I don't really have a problem with it. I'd actually like to see more teams have the option to move to a similar type of ownership structure. Wouldn't mind owning 200 shares of the Houston Texans.
Why? You're willing to spend over $50,000 for sheets of paper that represent the most diluted stock imaginable just so you can attend a meeting with 360,00 other people? The article even said these stocks hold zero value other than getting access to "shareholder" apparel.
The Cush is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #6
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Cush View Post
Why? You're willing to spend over $50,000 for sheets of paper that represent the most diluted stock imaginable just so you can attend a meeting with 360,00 other people? The article even said these stocks hold zero value other than getting access to "shareholder" apparel.
Some people are hooked on crack. Others are hooked on the Texans. I'd love to own a piece.
Old 03-02-2012   #7
The Cush
All Pro

Rep Power: 2778 The Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Cush is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by NitroGSXR View Post
Some people are hooked on crack. Others are hooked on the Texans. I'd love to own a piece.
1 piece makes sense because its nice memorabilia, but 200 at $275 a piece?
Sponsored links
Old 03-02-2012   #8
majestrate
Veteran

Rep Power: 6672 majestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respectedmajestrate is a quality contributor and well respected

First, to each his own, and this is hypothetical. I could've said 1k, what does it matter? Second, I didn't say anything about keeping them to myself. If the same rules were in-place, I might not be able to transfer ownership of the stock, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't give certificates themselves out as gifts

Why would you care how many I purchased/how much I spent? It's not like you live with me and I have to care and feed you
Old 03-02-2012   #9
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

I have been drinking so please bare with me

I was thinking this is smart (in a way). Just a different point of view here.

say Houston needed upgrading on their stadium and they had to pass a referendum to get the tax payers to help pay for upgrades . people that don't care don't like the tax increase,so you hear some negative in that

with the packers they are selling "worthless" stuff to fans that can attend a meeting and feel "empowered" (due to vote whether it is what they want or not but they feel they have a say) .

it generates money
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #10
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
First, to each his own, and this is hypothetical. I could've said 1k, what does it matter? Second, I didn't say anything about keeping them to myself. If the same rules were in-place, I might not be able to transfer ownership of the stock, but that doesn't mean that I couldn't give certificates themselves out as gifts

Why would you care how many I purchased/how much I spent? It's not like you live with me and I have to care and feed you
Seeing how owning 1 share has the same value as owning 1,000 shares I was just wondering why you would buy so many. Apologies majerstrate, for not considering the fact that you may intend to give away worthless sheets of paper away as gifts. In that sense, they would literally be worthless since ownership can't be transferred and the recipient would just be getting a sheet that says "You are part owner of the Houston Texans", when in reality they are not. More power to you though, I'm sorry if my initial comment may have offended you in any way.
Old 03-03-2012   #11
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
NFL rules dictate that no other team can move to a fan based ownership structure.
Old 03-03-2012   #12
majestrate
Veteran

Quote:
Apologies majerstrate, for not considering the fact that you may intend to give away worthless sheets of paper away as gifts.
There are many things I consider to be worthless, but others do not. Worthless to you doesn't mean worthless to everyone. But thank you for your judgement of me, I'll value it greatly throughout my life.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NastyNate View Post
Current NFL rules dictate that no other team can move to a fan based ownership structure.
FIFY. Rules can be changed, few things are set in stone.
Old 03-04-2012   #13
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Rep Power: 61322 NitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respectedNitroGSXR is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
1 piece makes sense because its nice memorabilia, but 200 at $275 a piece?
And they sold out them so fast. Green Bay even spot-fabricated more shares to meet demand. Worthless? I don't think so and apparently as many as 250,000 buyers agree with me.
Old 03-04-2012   #14
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
And they sold out them so fast. Green Bay even spot-fabricated more shares to meet demand. Worthless? I don't think so and apparently as many as 250,000 buyers agree with me.
Like I said, buying 1 share makes sense but buying 200 shares makes zero sense unless you want to donate a large sum of money (to the average person) to the Green Bay Packers who wipes their ass with that same amount. When you buy 1 of these shares you get to call yourself "part owner", get to vote at a shareholders meeting, and access to some apparel, which honestly sounds pretty cool. When you buy 200 shares you get to call yourself "part owner", get to vote at a shareholders meeting, and access to some apparel but hold no more power than the guy that has 1 share. It doesn't surprise me they sold out, and it won't surprise me when they dilute more shares and sell them again in the future. It does surprise me if people are actually buying 200 shares (the maximum amount you can buy).
Old 03-04-2012   #15
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 51554 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

FIFY. Rules can be changed, few things are set in stone.
Goodell and the owners have it setup to eliminate that possibility. It is in stone. It will never happen.
Old 03-04-2012   #16
Speedy
Yeller Dweller

Section: 547 - Row A - Dark Side
Rep Power: 51245 Speedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respectedSpeedy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
There are many things I consider to be worthless, but others do not. Worthless to you doesn't mean worthless to everyone. But thank you for your judgement of me, I'll value it greatly throughout my life.
What The Cush is saying is that one share isn't any different than 2, 5, 10, or 1,000 shares. There is nothing extra you get for having more than one. If you just want to give them the money, that's certainly your business but your 200 shares doesn't get you any more than the guy with one share. Your vote weighs exactly the same as his. And giving them away as gifts isn't any different than me printing them up myself and passing them out. Same worthless piece of paper that doesn't entitle the holder of it to anything, no voting, no meetings, etc.

thatsbulltailgaters.net
Speedy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012   #17
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speedy View Post
What The Cush is saying is that one share isn't any different than 2, 5, 10, or 1,000 shares. There is nothing extra you get for having more than one. If you just want to give them the money, that's certainly your business but your 200 shares doesn't get you any more than the guy with one share. Your vote weighs exactly the same as his. And giving them away as gifts isn't any different than me printing them up myself and passing them out. Same worthless piece of paper that doesn't entitle the holder of it to anything, no voting, no meetings, etc.
Yes it is different. Theirs is authentic. Yours would be not. I think Cush missed what I was getting at... the value for this piece of authentic memorabilia is sure to rise over time. Especially if Green Bay does not print any more. 250,000 isn't that many. I'd probably pay $275 on the open market for it today. These "shares" are about making money. Like baseball cards. If I could buy 200 Pete Rose rookies below market-value and re-sell them... I would. Or even re-gift as majestrate implied. That'd be a superb white elephant gift at the tailgates.

I'm just saying... what does it matter how many we buy but we certainly understand how little power we actually have.
Old 03-04-2012   #18
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 262563 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

I’ll receive a stock certificate by mail at some point, but my one share won’t ever go up in value, nor will it pay out any dividends. In fact, the 20-page prospectus for the stock offering makes clear, in capital letters, that “it is virtually impossible for anyone to realize a profit on a purchase of common stock or even to recoup the amount initially paid.” I’m not allowed to sell my ownership stake, and if I ever decide that I want to, the team apparently has the right to buy it back from me – for 2.5 cents.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Blogs/...ver.aspx#page1
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012   #19
NitroGSXR
Super Sic #58

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
I’ll receive a stock certificate by mail at some point, but my one share won’t ever go up in value, nor will it pay out any dividends. In fact, the 20-page prospectus for the stock offering makes clear, in capital letters, that “it is virtually impossible for anyone to realize a profit on a purchase of common stock or even to recoup the amount initially paid.” I’m not allowed to sell my ownership stake, and if I ever decide that I want to, the team apparently has the right to buy it back from me – for 2.5 cents.

http://www.thefiscaltimes.com/Blogs/...ver.aspx#page1
That's some doo-doo. Then watch them mass-produce annually with a limited edition version.
Old 03-04-2012   #20
The Cush
All Pro

Quote:
Yes it is different. Theirs is authentic. Yours would be not. I think Cush missed what I was getting at... the value for this piece of authentic memorabilia is sure to rise over time. Especially if Green Bay does not print any more. 250,000 isn't that many. I'd probably pay $275 on the open market for it today. These "shares" are about making money. Like baseball cards. If I could buy 200 Pete Rose rookies below market-value and re-sell them... I would. Or even re-gift as majestrate implied. That'd be a superb white elephant gift at the tailgates.
So your saying the actual certificate itself would rise in value, even though ownership of the stock itself can't be transferred since your name is printed on the stock? This is from an article from after the previous stock sale that says you can't re-sell these..

Quote:
The stock is illiquid and pays no dividend. No one is allowed to own more than 200,000 shares and resale is prohibited, except to the club at a fraction of the original value.
http://www.bloomberg.com/news/2011-0...-security.html

Quote:

I'm just saying... what does it matter how many we buy but we certainly understand how little power we actually have.
My original post was legitimately wondering why someone would buy 200 shares as I do not see the benefit. The post I was replying to then had the wording "owning 200 shares" so I assumed they planned on keeping them all. If you plan on giving them out as gifts and buy the stocks in another persons name, that makes sense. If you buy them all in your name and get your name printed on the certificates then give them away, thats a head scratcher still. But maybe your right about the value going up as a collector's item, so there you go thanks for answering my original question.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read