Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 07-29-2011   #1
Astew10112
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Astew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respectedAstew10112 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Projected starters on defense...

DE-JJ Watt
(6'5 290)

NT- Earl Mitchell
(6'3 291)

DE- Antonio Smith
(6'4 275)

OLB/DE- Mario Williams
(6'6 285)

ILB- Brian Cushing
(6'3 259)

ILB- Demeco Ryans
(6'1 248)

OLB- Connor Barwin
(6'4 260)

CB- Kareem Jackson
(5'10 195)

CB- Johnathan Joseph
(5'11 190)

FS- Glover Quinn
(6'0 203)

SS- Danieal Manning
(5'11 202)
Astew10112 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #2
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Projected starters on defense...

That can't be the Texans. The lineup you posted is an NFL-calibur defense.
Old 07-29-2011   #3
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

The lineup look so sweet!

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #4
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only corner currently on the roster that may challenge Kareem for the starting spot is Allen with Harris not far behind.

I'm hoping we can sign Carlos Rogers. That lineup would be even sweeter.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #5
80tothezone
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5079 80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected80tothezone is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astew10112 View Post
DE-JJ Watt
(6'5 290)

NT- Earl Mitchell
(6'3 291)

DE- Antonio Smith
(6'4 275)

OLB/DE- Mario Williams
(6'6 285)

ILB- Brian Cushing
(6'3 259)

ILB- Demeco Ryans
(6'1 248)

OLB- Connor Barwin
(6'4 260)

CB- Kareem Jackson
(5'10 195)

CB- Johnathan Joseph
(5'11 190)

FS- Glover Quinn
(6'0 203)

SS- Danieal Manning
(5'11 202)
Old 07-29-2011   #6
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 174245 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

I see not a single hole in the Texans top 11 defenders ..... That almost looks like an Allstar lineup .... Im praying to the good LORD above we dont have any significant injuries.

Joseph + Manning > Aso + nobody.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #7
whiskeyrbl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astew10112 View Post
DE-JJ Watt
(6'5 290)

NT- Earl Mitchell
(6'3 291)

DE- Antonio Smith
(6'4 275)

OLB/DE- Mario Williams
(6'6 285)

ILB- Brian Cushing
(6'3 259)

ILB- Demeco Ryans
(6'1 248)

OLB- Connor Barwin
(6'4 260)

CB- Kareem Jackson
(5'10 195)

CB- Johnathan Joseph
(5'11 190)

FS- Glover Quinn
(6'0 203)

SS- Danieal Manning
(5'11 202)
This will probably be it but I would like to see Barwin at DE instead of Smith and Reed in at OLB.
Sponsored links
Old 07-29-2011   #8
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27154 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

The only problem I see with that lineup is Earl Mitchell at NT, 291 lbs. is awfully light for a NT and makes us weak in the middle and susceptible to the run. I'm thinking Shawn Cody starts at NT or we go after a NT in FA.

Last edited by Wolf6151; 07-29-2011 at 06:12 AM.
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #9
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Looks damn good to me.

Let's hope Antonio Smith doesn't get any STUPID penalties like he's been known to do.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #10
hradhak
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 6498 hradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respectedhradhak is a quality contributor and well respected

My only concern is Quin at the FS position. I know he was decent as a corner opposite Dunta, but FS is a little different and it's knowing where to be instead of who to cover in some sense.

I think he's got the physical gift, it's just going to be interesting to see if he has the instincts.
hradhak is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #11
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72604 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DexmanC View Post
That can't be the Texans. The lineup you posted is an NFL-calibur defense.
If Ryans and Barwin can stay healthy,

Mitchell can play the nose at a decent level.

The DE's stay healthy. However if all of this comes together the Texans will be in the playoffs. Remember though the Texans finished 15th on defense in 2009, Schaub threw for 4800 yds and the Texans still didn't make the playoffs.

But it's a great day to be a Texans fan. BoB finally decided he wanted to sit at the big boys table.
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #12
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54251 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Not much of a run game in 2009, though.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #13
buddyboy
All Pro

Rep Power: 14907 buddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbuddyboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default The New Texans Defense!

With these moves in FA and the draft, I feel oddly comfortable with the defense. This is assuming they're just about done with the defense and no other big moves happen.

CB: With Joseph manning the number 1, we get to move everyone down a spot to where they should be. KJax and Allen fight for the spot across from him and share some time with the rookie Harris who'll have time to develop and play some nickel.

S: Manning sounds like an AMAZING pickup. There's one spot locked up. Glover scares me a bit. That other safety spot is one of the big question marks on our defensive depth chart, HOPEFULLY Quinn can step up and Wade Phillips can turn him into a serviceable safety. We'll see. Keo Shiloh backs em up.

OLB: I'm actually much more concerned with Mario at OLB than I am with Connor Barwin. I think Barwin will come in and succeed, but Mario worries me a bit. Regardless, this position is the spot with the most question marks as far as defense goes. Which is scary, since this position is one of the most important in a 3-4. Brooks Reed can back-up and develop.

ILB: Seemingly our strongest position with DeMeco and Cushing, but there are still concerns. Will DeMeco return from injury at even 90%? And will Cushing continue to free fall from his alleged PED high? Hopefully these two can become a great ILB tandem.

DE: Probably Antonio and Watt. By spending our first rounder on Watt, I expect him to come in and start AND have impact. This may be one of our stronger positions in my opinion.

DT: Cody or Mitchell. The last spot, and yet another spot that we're not sure how it will work out. Phillips claims we won't need a huge space eater, but let me tell you, having that big guy sure would make me feel better. I doubt we have the cap for another impact defensive player, so this is probably what we'll enter the season with. This scares me a bit.

So, what do you guys think? Where are the biggest concerns on defense and where do the Texan's defensive strengths land?
buddyboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #14
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: The New Texans Defense!

Quote:
Originally Posted by buddyboy View Post
With these moves in FA and the draft, I feel oddly comfortable with the defense. This is assuming they're just about done with the defense and no other big moves happen.

CB: With Joseph manning the number 1, we get to move everyone down a spot to where they should be. KJax and Allen fight for the spot across from him and share some time with the rookie Harris who'll have time to develop and play some nickel.

S: Manning sounds like an AMAZING pickup. There's one spot locked up. Glover scares me a bit. That other safety spot is one of the big question marks on our defensive depth chart, HOPEFULLY Quinn can step up and Wade Phillips can turn him into a serviceable safety. We'll see. Keo Shiloh backs em up.

OLB: I'm actually much more concerned with Mario at OLB than I am with Connor Barwin. I think Barwin will come in and succeed, but Mario worries me a bit. Regardless, this position is the spot with the most question marks as far as defense goes. Which is scary, since this position is one of the most important in a 3-4. Brooks Reed can back-up and develop.

ILB: Seemingly our strongest position with DeMeco and Cushing, but there are still concerns. Will DeMeco return from injury at even 90%? And will Cushing continue to free fall from his alleged PED high? Hopefully these two can become a great ILB tandem.

DE: Probably Antonio and Watt. By spending our first rounder on Watt, I expect him to come in and start AND have impact. This may be one of our stronger positions in my opinion.

DT: Cody or Mitchell. The last spot, and yet another spot that we're not sure how it will work out. Phillips claims we won't need a huge space eater, but let me tell you, having that big guy sure would make me feel better. I doubt we have the cap for another impact defensive player, so this is probably what we'll enter the season with. This scares me a bit.

So, what do you guys think? Where are the biggest concerns on defense and where do the Texan's defensive strengths land?

I'm not exactly sure why I started feeling this, but I will not be surprised one bit if Mario ends up being traded. There are a few teams that are way under the salary floor, and a good young pass rushing DE is always in demand.

I am excite to see what Mario can do at OLB, but I'm not very optimistic about the prospects. Just not feeling him at that position.

Don't get me wrong, I don't think he will be horrible. He has too much raw talent to completely suck, but the value he brings to the table is clearly greater at DE than OLB.

Allow me to indulge in a brief fantasy:
Trade Mario for a decent OLB or NT, plus draft pick(s). Use the cap space to pursue Nnambdi. Yeah, completely unrealistic, I know, but that would be awesome.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #15
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario will not be playing as a traditional OLB. He will be a standing DE the vast majority of the time. This won't be the typical 3-4.
Old 07-29-2011   #16
michaelm
vox nihili

Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Mario will not be playing as a traditional OLB. He will be a standing DE the vast majority of the time. This won't be the typical 3-4.
Yeah, I hear that, but I still feel like it's not going to be a natural fit for him. We shall see though.
Old 07-29-2011   #17
The Pencil Neck
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 217165 The Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Pencil Neck is a quality contributor and well respected

I was thinking about this.

I'm good with our secondary now. It would be nice to pick up another CB in FA but it's not a necessity at all.

I'd like an experienced 3-4 OLB but I'm kinda OK with what we have. My biggest concern is Mario. I see him as a great 3-4 DE more than an OLB.

I'm worried about our ILBs because I don't expect Demeco to come back at even 80%. I'd like to get one or two ILBs.

DEs... I like Smith and Watt to start. I like this even better with Mario in the rotation. I wouldn't mind another guy here.

I don't have a great feeling about NT. I'd like to pick up a "real" 3-4 NT.

And, as was stated by michaelm, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario traded. He's going into the last year of his contract and he's probably going to be happier as a 4-3 DE. We could get an experienced 3-4 OLB and a good NT and shore up this defense. (And maybe throw in a great WR for the O.)
The Pencil Neck is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #18
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Pencil Neck View Post

And, as was stated by michaelm, I wouldn't be surprised to see Mario traded. He's going into the last year of his contract and he's probably going to be happier as a 4-3 DE. We could get an experienced 3-4 OLB and a good NT and shore up this defense. (And maybe throw in a great WR for the O.)

I can understand why people think mario can "fit" at OLB, but his value is clearly as a 4-3 DE.
4-3 DEs have tremendous value in the NFL, and we happen to not need one at this time.
I say the only way to truly maximize Mario's value is by trading him, and turning that value into players that fit the 3-4 better, or draft picks. Along with players and/or picks, the Texans get cap relief.
It's very much a win-win-win scenario for the Texans, Mario, and any team in need of a pass rushing 4-3 DE, which is a lot of teams out there.

*edit*
As far as the cap relief part of this deal, I may or may not be correct. Depending on how Mario's contract is structured, it is possible that there might be a cap hit if he is traded, i suppose.

Capologists??
Old 07-29-2011   #19
cland
Veteran

Rep Power: 4611 cland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respectedcland is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
I can understand why people think mario can "fit" at OLB, but his value is clearly as a 4-3 DE.
4-3 DEs have tremendous value in the NFL, and we happen to not need one at this time.
I say the only way to truly maximize Mario's value is by trading him, and turning that value into players that fit the 3-4 better, or draft picks. Along with players and/or picks, the Texans get cap relief.
It's very much a win-win-win scenario for the Texans, Mario, and any team in need of a pass rushing 4-3 DE, which is a lot of teams out there.

*edit*
As far as the cap relief part of this deal, I may or may not be correct. Depending on how Mario's contract is structured, it is possible that there might be a cap hit if he is traded, i suppose.

Capologists??
Why would you want cap relief by trading your one proven pass-rusher? Go to youtube and watch a Cowboy's game and watch DeMarcus Ware play some regular snaps. I think you'll come away feeling better about Mario playing that role. On first and second downs he stands up, but still rushes the vast majority of the time. On third down, he goes right back to DE in the nickle.

Someone had suggested replacing him with Manny Lawson from the 49ers. How could you see value in a guy who's career sack total (14) equals Mario's best year? What player that's available now would you replace him with?

BTW look at Charles Johnson (the FA DE who got huge money) stat's compared to Mario's.
cland is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2011   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Quote:
Originally Posted by cland View Post
Why would you want cap relief by trading your one proven pass-rusher? Go to youtube and watch a Cowboy's game and watch DeMarcus Ware play some regular snaps. I think you'll come away feeling better about Mario playing that role. On first and second downs he stands up, but still rushes the vast majority of the time. On third down, he goes right back to DE in the nickle.

Someone had suggested replacing him with Manny Lawson from the 49ers. How could you see value in a guy who's career sack total (14) equals Mario's best year? What player that's available now would you replace him with?

BTW look at Charles Johnson (the FA DE who got huge money) stat's compared to Mario's.
I get what you're saying, but comparing Mario to DeMarcus Ware as a OLB is complete fail.
Mario's skill set is different that Ware's.
Ware is way more fluid, has better change of direction, and is probably both quicker, and faster than Mario. Ware is a much more natural fit at OLB, which is kinda my point. Ware is also relentless, which is not a word I've ever heard associated with Mario.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read