Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Mock Draft Talk Mock Drafts, group Mocks and links to all the shamockery.

Old 04-15-2012   #1
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20
Default Another Mock

1st: Kendall Wright, WR, Baylor. Fills a big need here and brings a dynamic player in our offense, big deep threat WR. Not worried about his 40s/height/Weight.
2nd: Shea McClellin, OLB, Boise St. Another big need, but also a very good player, motor like JJ Watt. Doesn't give up on plays and is very similar to Brooks Reed and Connor Barwin considering his height/weight/40s, and they all played in a 4-3 defense, I don't think he'll have any problems switching to the 3-4, even tho we rush our OLB 95% of the time or so. Although I have no idea if he'll last to the 58th pick.
3rd: Josh Chapman, NT, Alabama. Not a big need, but I think this is the best player available. I think him and Shaun Cody would make a great rotation, and maybe eventually he'll be able to start over him. 6'1", 316 lbs, I think this is a great side even tho Wade likes his NTs to be at the 300~ range. This is also move Earl Mitchell to DE, and he can also be the third NT if we happen to have any injuries at the NT.
4th: Greg Childs, WR, Arkansas. I think we can go with Childs or Joe Adams if we're picking another WR again, although I wasn't sure who to pick because I think Wright is really of an outside guy, not really a slot guy, but can KR/PR, and Childs is not a slot WR, and has the sizes that Kubiak likes in his WRs(6'3", 220, 4.55 40), and Adams is more of a slot WR and a returner, not a outside receiver. I don't think you can go wrong with either though.
4th: Brandon Mosley, OT, Auburn. We need a replacement for Winston, and I have no confidence in Butler, especially since he was placed on IR last year and I thought he played bad when he replaced Duane Brown, and I sure as heck don't want our 7th rounder Derek Newton starting next year either. I think Brandon can start right away, big guy, but not as athletic as Winston was but could be a better pass blocker.
5th: Ryan Miller, G, Colorado. 6'7", 321 lbs, 5.27 40, and 32 BP reps. Big strong kid, and I think he can be athletic enough to play the guard position and compete with Antoine Caldwell.
6th: BJ Coleman, QB, Chattanooga. Not sure if he'll be off the boards or not, but he have good size, and Kubiak always have 3 QBs ready to go, so I think he'll be just a project, but able to manage the game if Schaub and Yates goes out.
7th: Travian Robertson, South Carolina, DE. We only have three DEs on the roster and you cannot have enough depth on defense.

UDFA targets:
Brandon Bolden, RB, Ole Miss. We only have two RBs on the roster, and at 5'11", 222 lbs, and 4.56 40 this kid can be good, especially since he is from the SEC like our Arian Foster and Ben Tate.

Bradie Ewing, FB, Wisconsin. Not the best FB, but I think he'll be the best available in the UDFAs. Blocked for Montee Ball and the Wisconsin Badgers, and like the Badgers, they're like the Houston Texans. Very well balanced offenses, this kid also can catch out of the backfield, but will probably need to add some bulk, and just a project for now.

Randy Bullock and Blair Walsh, Kickers from Texas A&M and Georgia. Bullock had the best season last year and may even be drafted in the late rounds. Although if Blair can kick like he did in 2010, he may even be better than Bullock. Kicker is a need and I don't like Rackers because he cannot hit anything above 46 yards, and had a key miss in the Raiders and Ravens game, and not to mention he is a FA so we do not have a kicker.
Old 04-15-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 188528 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Another Mock

great! McLellen rated as high as low 30s so probably not there #58 BUT my mock partners & I tried hard to put him there. Just a thought on QB late in draft, your looking at strictly a project so why not go UDFA? TJ was not supposed to be able to step in as he did but at least had some experience to fall back on due to history of his NC team.Very good work!
Old 04-16-2012   #3
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28037 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

JMO, don't kill the messenger.

1. Wright, I like the player but not for the Texans, thus I don't like this pick. To small.
2. McClellin, I really like this pick if available.
3. Chapman, I like the player but worry about what damage he might have done to his knee last season playing on that ACL injury. I'd have doctors checking him out hard.
4. Childs, I love this pick but doubt his availability. I know he's currently rated in the 4th but his size, speed, skill combo will be to tempting for someone earlier than the 4th. If available, great pick.
4. Mosley, I love this pick as well, he'd be a great Texans pick.
5. Miller, his height will be a major disadvantage for him in the NFL. At 6'07" it will be very hard for him to get low enough for leverage purposes and to easy for D-linemen to stand him up.
6. Coleman, I don't know anything about him and don' think we take a QB in the draft. I think we'll wait and grab a vet QB when teams start making cuts at the beginning of the season. I'd take Bullock here, he won't last to UDFA.
7. Robertson, also a very good pick if available.

Bolden is 50/50 on making it to UDFA, though Ewing probably will be there and would be a nice signing. Take Bullock in the 6th and finally solidify that K position for the next 10-15 yrs..
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2012   #4
kiwitexansfan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 98483 kiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respectedkiwitexansfan is a quality contributor and well respected

All these drafts are looking much the same these days. I think most fans have narrowed down the focus on positions and players.

Will be interesting to see what the front office do by comparison.
Old 04-16-2012   #5
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 718 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolf6151 View Post
JMO, don't kill the messenger.

1. Wright, I like the player but not for the Texans, thus I don't like this pick. To small.
2. McClellin, I really like this pick if available.
3. Chapman, I like the player but worry about what damage he might have done to his knee last season playing on that ACL injury. I'd have doctors checking him out hard.
4. Childs, I love this pick but doubt his availability. I know he's currently rated in the 4th but his size, speed, skill combo will be to tempting for someone earlier than the 4th. If available, great pick.
4. Mosley, I love this pick as well, he'd be a great Texans pick.
5. Miller, his height will be a major disadvantage for him in the NFL. At 6'07" it will be very hard for him to get low enough for leverage purposes and to easy for D-linemen to stand him up.
6. Coleman, I don't know anything about him and don' think we take a QB in the draft. I think we'll wait and grab a vet QB when teams start making cuts at the beginning of the season. I'd take Bullock here, he won't last to UDFA.
7. Robertson, also a very good pick if available.

Bolden is 50/50 on making it to UDFA, though Ewing probably will be there and would be a nice signing. Take Bullock in the 6th and finally solidify that K psition for the next 10-15 yrs..
I think Wright can be a great player in thi system, Im not really concerned about his height, just as long as he produce.
and i think 10-15 years is a bit excessive tbh... id rather take a chance and wait in the 7th, a 6th for a kicker is just too
high imo. and not to mention i like the kicker from okla st a LOT better, especially on kickoffs. too bad he didnt enter this years draft tho, would have to wait another year for him.
Old 04-16-2012   #6
Lucky

Rep Power: 207841 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiwitexansfan View Post
All these drafts are looking much the same these days. I think most fans have narrowed down the focus on positions and players.
I've noticed the same thing. Not only the first round picks, but the mid to late rounds, as well. Doesn't mean they are wrong, but a good example of groupthink.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft > Mock Draft Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read