Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-29-2012   #21
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild
Default Re: Kuharsky: What I'd do if I ran the Texans

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah007 View Post
QB - Let Leinart go. Draft a QB to replace him if you want. I trust Yates as QB #2.

HB - Pay Foster.

WR - Cut Jacoby. Draft a replacement. See if Walter will restructure his contract.

OL - Pay Myers. Pay Brisiel if we can. If we can't then expect to draft OG pretty high. I loved Caldwell when we drafted him but he has shown me nothing.

OLB - I would love to keep Mario. Offer him somthing we can afford. If he says no that is fine. He is deserving of the pay day that somebody else will offer him. I like what we have coming back here. Draft OLB depth.

ILB - Ryans' deal was a reward. Asking him to restructure would send a negative message. I think we just need to grit our teeth while he plays out this deal.
I agree with everything you have laid out here.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #22
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the Texans are going to do some thing(s) that will surprise a lot of people...draft wise and Free agent wise.

Time to take the next step and that will require some activity and maneuvering. If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse....Especially in the NFL.

If I'm putting myself in the Texans shoes I would think that Cody is great, but we can get better. Same thing WR, corner, and safety. I'm also thinking that if we brought roughly the same guys back we'd probably still be just as good or better than last year and be able to have a shot at the title...But is that good enough?

Competitors always look to get better. Are the Texans thinking that way? I damn sure hope so.

I don't know what they will do with any of the guys, but here's what I would do:

-Re-sign Mario. Doing this you are set at OLB for the next few years.No need to even draft a guy. Bring in some UDFA's and let the back end of the rotation sort itself out between Braman, Nading and ?guy.

-I would re-structure Demeco. His contract is too high. I value leadership as much as the next guy, BUT Demeco is not the main ILB on this team and likely will never be again as long as Cushing is healthy. Cushing is becoming a big boy now and it's time for him to assume that role. There are lots of guys that are good locker room guys and leaders that you can bring in for much cheaper. If he won't re-structure or if it's not feasible, I'd make the really tough decision and cut him. Draft a talented ILB in the draft or pick up a solid, cheaper vet in FA that can compete with Dobbins for the part time duty.

-I'd keep Walter, cut Jacoby. This is not the year to cut Walter. Maybe next year after we've seen a young WR develop and get ready to take the next step. Definitely draft 1 or 2 WR's.

-If I'm sticking with Schaub, I'm keeping Yates and Leinart. No matter how you feel about either of those guys they are both solid enough to not turn the offense into a stumbling bumbling joke. They know the system. They are familar with everything we do. Yates should get better heading into his second year. Let them compete for the job; competition makes players better.

-Re-sign Myers, let Briesel walk. Myers is more important to the success of this line. Caldwell struggled last year so I wouldn't guarantee him the job. Bring in a solid cheaper vet and/or draft some guys, give Shelly Smith a legit shot, and keep on rolling.

Now the dreamer in me would love to see them trade all the way up for RG3, but that's not likely to happen.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #23
TheRealJoker
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 7874 TheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respectedTheRealJoker is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to TheRealJoker

Only glaring error in the article is his assessment of Brisiel. There is a major dropoff. Maybe as much as there would be without Myers. Plus having solid guards helps Myers immensely. Remember the difference in his play when he didn't have Studdard next to him after we signed Wade Smith?
Old 02-29-2012   #24
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
I'm thinking that between Cody and Earl Mitchell at a 2012 salary cap hit of probably not much more than $3 Million combined, the Texans are pretty likely to sit tight on NT. Not a strength, but the combo of the two guys doesn't appear to be viewed as a weakness by Wade or Gary, so my guess is that they're thinkin' "If it ain't broke (and it's cheap), don't fix it".

The NT to be groomed probably comes next year after Cody's current contract is up.
I really didn't see anything from Mitchell that lead me to believe he's the longterm answer at NT. We drafted him in the third round expecting him to play where Amobi was in the 4-3, but moving to a 3-4 doesn't appear to suit him IMO. I wouldn't have any problem with the Texans trading him to a 4-3 team for a 4th and picking up a new NT behind Cody so he can be ready for next year.
Old 02-29-2012   #25
gafftop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6870 gafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respectedgafftop is a quality contributor and well respected

More or less go along with all of you. My big difference is:

Just sign everybody else first and make sure you have money for the new players and any FAs and leave Mario to the end. Once you know what you have left after we sign our priorities, then make an offer to Mario. In my opinion he is a luxury.

May not make sense but i don't want to lose any of the players because of Mario.

Actually on 2nd thought I would not make any offer to Mario. I think any offer will insult him at the time of the offer. I think the only chance the Texans have to sign him is if his value is not what his agent thinks it is in the open market. Tell Mario you have come this far you owe it to yourself to test the market and tell him just let us talk after you get your offers.
gafftop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #26
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I think the Texans are going to do some thing(s) that will surprise a lot of people...draft wise and Free agent wise.

Time to take the next step and that will require some activity and maneuvering. If you aren't getting better, you're getting worse....Especially in the NFL.

If I'm putting myself in the Texans shoes I would think that Cody is great, but we can get better. Same thing WR, corner, and safety. I'm also thinking that if we brought roughly the same guys back we'd probably still be just as good or better than last year and be able to have a shot at the title...But is that good enough?

Competitors always look to get better. Are the Texans thinking that way? I damn sure hope so.

I don't know what they will do with any of the guys, but here's what I would do:

-Re-sign Mario. Doing this you are set at OLB for the next few years.No need to even draft a guy. Bring in some UDFA's and let the back end of the rotation sort itself out between Braman, Nading and ?guy.

-I would re-structure Demeco. His contract is too high. I value leadership as much as the next guy, BUT Demeco is not the main ILB on this team and likely will never be again as long as Cushing is healthy. Cushing is becoming a big boy now and it's time for him to assume that role. There are lots of guys that are good locker room guys and leaders that you can bring in for much cheaper. If he won't re-structure or if it's not feasible, I'd make the really tough decision and cut him. Draft a talented ILB in the draft or pick up a solid, cheaper vet in FA that can compete with Dobbins for the part time duty.

You already have that guy on the roster..his name is daryl sharpton. Solid, cheap & enough of a vet to maybe even replace Meco in the long run anyway.

-I'd keep Walter, cut Jacoby. This is not the year to cut Walter. Maybe next year after we've seen a young WR develop and get ready to take the next step. Definitely draft 1 or 2 WR's.

-If I'm sticking with Schaub, I'm keeping Yates and Leinart. No matter how you feel about either of those guys they are both solid enough to not turn the offense into a stumbling bumbling joke. They know the system. They are familar with everything we do. Yates should get better heading into his second year. Let them compete for the job; competition makes players better.

disagree. The liklihood we have to go to our 3rd string qb again is remote at best. I think yates earned enough stripes to ascend to the 2nd qb spot. I'd let lienart walk as i didn't really see anything or at least enough from him to warrant keeping him locked in as the 2nd string guy....let alone pay him the salary he'll be owed next year. save that money & pick up a young rook in the draft or bring back Delhomme on the cheap if possible.

-Re-sign Myers, let Briesel walk. Myers is more important to the success of this line. Caldwell struggled last year so I wouldn't guarantee him the job. Bring in a solid cheaper vet and/or draft some guys, give Shelly Smith a legit shot, and keep on rolling.

Now the dreamer in me would love to see them trade all the way up for RG3, but that's not likely to happen.
everything else is reasonable.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #27
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 88648 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Pretty solid in my eyes, although I'd straight up let Mario get to walking especially since his agent is acting like he's even close to being the best defensive player in the NFL. Hell, he's not even the best defensive player on this freaking team for crying out loud.

Everything else on there is pretty solid. I'd try to keep Cody though and Demeco is really solid either way, but if we don't need him nearly as much in this system, than I'd be okay with his suggestion. Some people may say that he's earned the right to keep the contract, but that's a load of bull really. He wasn't that effective this season and the season before last he got hurt for the entire year. I love Demeco, but this is a "what have you done for me lately" type of business, and that's two straight seasons where Demeco has been over paid. He isn't a top 10 LB in this league either. I'll be happy if we keep him as well though. I like Demeco a lot and would like to see him remain a Texan, but business is business and his value is no longer what it once was as a Texan. I'd much rather over pay for him than to over pay a guy like Mario who doesn't go all out on every play.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2012   #28
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Actually on 2nd thought I would not make any offer to Mario. I think any offer will insult him at the time of the offer. I think the only chance the Texans have to sign him is if his value is not what his agent thinks it is in the open market. Tell Mario you have come this far you owe it to yourself to test the market and tell him just let us talk after you get your offers.
Rep your way, gafftop.

I think this is a reasonable opinion. Why put yourself out there and risk being laughed at when some team with a ton of cap space is going to offer a lot more.

Instead, graciously tell Mario and his agent that he deserves to see what he can get in the open market and then let's have at least one or two solid attempts to counter the other teams' offers before he officially signs a deal. It will either be a workable gap to close up between the other teams' offers and what we can reasonably do, or it will be so over the top that we know there's no use in us even extending a legitimate offers to him.

I like that idea, a lot.
Old 03-01-2012   #29
imatexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4457 imatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respectedimatexan is a quality contributor and well respected

1. You absolutely have to make Mario a very appealing offer and sit back and see if he bites. So agreed.

2. Cut JJ and Leinhart, I am fine with TJ backing up Schaub. I don't think we need to re-structure Demeco's contract and I don't think he would allow it. I would like to keep Walter, if JJ is going to be cut we can't throw it to AJ every play. So we either need to find another good cheap receiver or re-sign Walter, keeping Cody at 2 million doesn't seem bad to me.

3. Pay Foster

4. Tie up Chris Meyers, in a way this is just an important move as the offer you make to Mario.
imatexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #30
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 175288 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
More or less go along with all of you. My big difference is:

Just sign everybody else first and make sure you have money for the new players and any FAs and leave Mario to the end. Once you know what you have left after we sign our priorities, then make an offer to Mario. In my opinion he is a luxury.

May not make sense but i don't want to lose any of the players because of Mario.

I didn't like this when I first read it. But on second and third thoughts, it may be the only way to proceed and let both sides save face.
+1 for you.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #31
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

I disagree with his take on Foster... I DO think a team would use a first round pick on him...lock him down 3/13/12 12:01 am...

I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here... Though maybe not hhhuggge, there is a big enough dropoff there where i don't wanna see Caldwell starting (we saw it for a few games, i didn't like it so much)...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #32
drunkcookie
2 drunk 2 cook

Rep Power: 4923 drunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respecteddrunkcookie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I disagree with him about Breisel and Caldwell like others on here...
Okay, i guess it's spelled Brisiel...

...and Hell is coming with them!
drunkcookie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #33
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5496 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Am I the only person who worries about how much it will cost to resign Arian? I love what he brings to the team, and I would hate to see him go, but I would also hate to have to pay any RB what he is going to cost. Just makes me nervous.
Old 03-01-2012   #34
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 81206 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Pretty solid in my eyes, although I'd straight up let Mario get to walking especially since his agent is acting like he's even close to being the best defensive player in the NFL. Hell, he's not even the best defensive player on this freaking team for crying out loud.
Mario wants to get paid like DeMarcus Ware right? Love Mario but he is no where near D-Ware territory. Somebody will pay out the nose for him though. I don't see the Texans keeping him.

I have no problem with the Texans letting Arian be out their via an offer sheet. They can still reject it and if its a high 1st round pick, it might be worth letting him go. Ben Tate is not Arian Foster, but at least he can fill the spot well. It ain't an running back NFL anymore, no one needs to get Chris Johnson money
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #35
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Mario wants to get paid like DeMarcus Ware right? Love Mario but he is no where near D-Ware territory. Somebody will pay out the nose for him though. I don't see the Texans keeping him.

I have no problem with the Texans letting Arian be out their via an offer sheet. They can still reject it and if its a high 1st round pick, it might be worth letting him go. Ben Tate is not Arian Foster, but at least he can fill the spot well. It ain't an running back NFL anymore, no one needs to get Chris Johnson money
Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.
Old 03-01-2012   #36
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 134504 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I know what Kuharsky would really do...run them into the ground. He's a big Titan homer.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #37
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 83307 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Arian made HUGE plays last season, I'm talking "momentum changers" that makes him vital since our previous momentum changer, #80, is likely fading with each year that goes by. He's assumed AJ's throne.

Derrick Ward thought he'd go be a bad azz in Tampa but Hook 'Em will tell you he knew it was doomed from the beginning--Ward was successful in NY because of the straight line style of Jacobs. Tate is that straight line guy and Arian is a weaver and juke guy. The two guys enjoy their success due to their contrasting styles which wears down a defense over 4 quarters. Just when the D is trying to stop a weaver, the straight line RB comes in and blows by them like Smokey The Bandit.

If it means letting Mario walk, then I'd spend that dough on Arian. He's smart too...he gets out of bounds when he needs to, he covers up and goes down he needs to. When has he ever taken a hard shot? He doesn't. Smart dude, and he'll play a long long time that way.

All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Konz is a definite possibilty to draft if Meyers decides to bolt.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

We're just in a good place talent wise right now.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #38
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Only thing I really disagree with is the idea that Cody is overpaid @ $2m, thats a pretty cheap starting NT we've got ourselves. I'd say he's one of the better pieces of FA business we've done in our history, not a flashy player but he holds it down.

I'm not opposed to taking someone in the draft because he's definitely upgradeable, and Mitchell might be better as DE depth, but to say he needs to take a pay cut or be cut is madness jmo.

Oh yeah, and which is more demoralising for the team, seeing DeMeco asked to knock a couple of mill off the tab or seeing some quality depth walk out the door? I'm not 100% in either camp, but there is a question to be answered about whats most important to the team, and DeMeco's leadership is the only real reason I'm even unsure because I've no doubt that with Sharpton next to Cushing the team wouldn't lose all that much, as good a DeMeco is.

Is he really $4 or $5million better than Sharpton? I'm not so sure personally.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 128525 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
All this talk about Mario being expendable..to be honest, none of these guys who are up & coming up to be paid in the next few years are beyond being replaced except for AJ, schaub & probably cushing imo.

Tate had 1000 yards rushing in limited duty & filled in beautifully for Foster in 2 games last year. You've got to keep in mind that this was truthfully his rookie year as he didn't get a chance to play any last year b/c he got hurt.

Reed & Barwin proved that Mario isn't necessarily vital to the success of our defense; we could also draft someone to replace any 1 of these guys this year.

Butler has shown that he's a solid swing tackle if he has to step in for Brown/Winston/Brisiel & we've still yet to see what we have in shelley smith.

I'll even say that Sharpton/Dobbins or a rookie we draft could contribute as much if not more than Meco.

While Konz is good not sure he handles the mental part of calling ZBS for the line. This is where Myers excells and why Kubes went after him. Remember that many were posting Caldwell would start year one at center and now he is not even #1 back up for that spot.
Old 03-01-2012   #40
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post

Gotta have Arian Foster. He's worth the money.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read