Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 05-08-2005   #21
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 48117 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by wags
What has our offensive line done to give you this confidence? Last year you were hesitant to jump on the Carr bandwagon, citing that he has never done anything. Now after a decent year you seem to have some confidence in him. On the other hand you seem to have confidence in the O-line despite three terrible years. Last year you said they just needed to gel. Well these guys got worse in pass protection as the year went on. This does not indicate gelling. Insert Dr. Scholl's joke.

I am assuming that these "timing" routes that we are working on are designed to be quick, short passes. If so, this is not a move that shows confidence in the O-line.

I hope these guys are good next year, but they have done nothing to make me confident in their abilities.

Individually, if you look at our line, there is talent and promise almost everywhere. The conundrum is that it did not materialize on the field last year. However, it is believed by some of us and has now been reported by Richard Justice, that at least some of the struggles protecting Carr has to do with the protection schemes that Palmer has utilized and is not primarily a result of a lack of OL talent.

The obvious example of this is Seth Wand. I've been nothing but impressed with him since his rookie year during the preseason. Going into last season, the concern was that he may not have the strength to be successful run blocking. However, he and Pitts were very good run blocking last year. However, he did give up 12 sacks. I believe that happened because Palmer left him isolated on passing situations going up against guys like Freeney... He should have had at least some chipping help- if not a guard sliding to help against Freeney. Even Jonathan Ogden was unable to handle Freeney by himself.

Some also believe that our TE packages give a lot away and that having Joppru healthy will improve our ability to disguise and block on passing plays.

So, with youth, talent, and playing experience on the line this year... and with some of these issues being addressed there is at least good reason for optimism. And some of us, such as Vinny and myself, believe these guys can be a very good OLine.
dalemurphy is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read