Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-29-2012   #81
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Stephen Hill

Old 02-29-2012   #82
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
yeah, i just don't understand how teams continue to let the 40 time ruin the whole draft scouting process. The league & its history are riddled with guys that don't have what you would call elite speed. but those same guys show a knack for being able to get open. Jerry Rice, Micheal Irvin, Rod Smith, Larry Fitzgerald, Wes Welker & the 2 guys i most associate this kid to..Anquan Boldin & Marques Colston.

I really hope we're seriously targeting this kid somewhere in the 1st or 2nd. My only fear is that SF, Tenn, Jax, TB or worse ......NE / NO snatch him up before us.
Agreed about the speed thing

Toon is a little too injury pron for my liking. He should be availabe and a bargain in the 3rd/4th rd.

Another guy that uyou're describing that I like alot is Danny Coale. My #1 guy for the Texans is Randle. He ran a 4.55 be is much faster than that in pads. In/Out of his breaks.
steelbtexan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #83
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Scout.com doesn't list Hill in the top 50 players. Wouldn't you be upset if the Texans picked someone not in the top 50 at 26?
They're not real scouts. They're internet scouts. And, they're not the Texans scouts. So no, I wouldn't be upset if the Texans didn't draft off of an internet draft board.
Old 02-29-2012   #84
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

An assessment of some of Hill's work with film captures:

http://mattwaldmanrsp.com/2012/02/26...rn-how-to-aim/
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #85
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
They're not real scouts. They're internet scouts. And, they're not the Texans scouts. So no, I wouldn't be upset if the Texans didn't draft off of an internet draft board.
Does anyone have him ranked in the top 32? Anyone have him rated higher than Floyd? or Sanu?

I like that he is athletic.. & his combine numbers show he's explosive. If our coaches believe they can "correct" his catching mechanics, I have no problem drafting this guy, even with our first. Especially if his run blocking (from the receiver position) is as polished as has been mentioned here.

You can teach a person how to catch, how to run routes. You can't teach 4.3 speed, or 6'4", or 215lbs. This is freak territory.... elite athlete. The coaches have to do their job to make him an elite football player.
Old 02-29-2012   #86
Lucky

Rep Power: 106508 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does anyone have him ranked in the top 32?
Define "anyone"? Anyone with a web site? Or anyone who is making decisions for a NFL franchise? Don't care about the former, and we'll find out about the latter.
Old 02-29-2012   #87
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 176794 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Does anyone have him ranked in the top 32? Anyone have him rated higher than Floyd? or Sanu?
http://www.nfl.com/draft/2012/mock-d...d-reuter/90101

http://walterfootball.com/draft2012_1.php

Peter King: The receiver order: Looks like Justin Blackmon and Michael Floyd of Notre Dame will be the only wideouts in round one, unless Hill sneaks in there. Reuben Randle of LSU and Rutgers' Mohamed Sanu (the Bucs and new coach Greg Schiano want him) could go 4-5 unless Baylor's Kendall Wright overcomes a lousy combine.
Sponsored links
Old 02-29-2012   #88
Lucky

Quote:
Heyward-Bey didn't get overrated..... he got Al Davis'd..... I think that's a different case all together.
The top 2 WRs from the '09 draft have been Hakeem Nicks and Mike Wallace. Wallace ran a 4.33 forty at the combine, .03 seconds slower than Heyward-Bey. Wallace's stats in college were similar to Heyward-Bey. His speed was similar to Heyward-Bey. Yet, Wallace lasted until the 3rd round to Pittsburgh. Had Davis drafted Wallace in the top 10, rather than Heyward-Bey, draftniks would have screamed "Reach!". And he would have come up with one of the premier deep threats in the league.

Lesson? It doesn't matter if a team drafts off past performance or athletic ability or some combo of the two. What matters is getting the pick right. It's the only thing that counts.
Old 03-01-2012   #89
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Toon is a little too injury pron for my liking. He should be availabe and a bargain in the 3rd/4th rd.

Another guy that uyou're describing that I like alot is Danny Coale. My #1 guy for the Texans is Randle. He ran a 4.55 be is much faster than that in pads. In/Out of his breaks.
thats the other part. Some people run fast in under armor gear but lose a lot of speed with pads on. Some lose little or none. Kendal Wright rana a slow 40, but I watched almost every Baylor game this year and he plays VERY fast.
Old 03-01-2012   #90
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 3398 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Scout has Hill rated as the 7th best WR behind both Sanu & Randle. How would you feel if the Texans selected Hill before both?

Scout.com doesn't list Hill in the top 50 players. Wouldn't you be upset if the Texans picked someone not in the top 50 at 26?
I'm sure those guys speak on behalf of NFL teams...

CBS has him ranked in the top 5
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft

NFL Draft Scout has him ranked in the top 5 as well
http://www.nfldraftscout.com/ratings...xpos&order=ASC

Scout.com apparently hasn't even updated anything since the combine. I heard somewhere that teams were turned off of Alshon Jeffery after his interviews. Not sure how much weight that carries. But Hill's draft stock seemed to have improved after the combine (from workouts and interviews).
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-01-2012   #91
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post

Toon is a little too injury pron for my liking. He should be availabe and a bargain in the 3rd/4th rd.Another guy that uyou're describing that I like alot is Danny Coale. My #1 guy for the Texans is Randle. He ran a 4.55 be is much faster than that in pads. In/Out of his breaks.
Curious, if a player is injury prone why is he a value at any round? Unless you're saying the risk of injury is proportional to the pick?
Old 03-01-2012   #92
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 88339 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I like that he is athletic.. & his combine numbers show he's explosive. If our coaches believe they can "correct" his catching mechanics, I have no problem drafting this guy, even with our first. Especially if his run blocking (from the receiver position) is as polished as has been mentioned here.

You can teach a person how to catch, how to run routes. You can't teach 4.3 speed, or 6'4", or 215lbs. This is freak territory.... elite athlete. The coaches have to do their job to make him an elite football player.
TK are you saying everyone but JJ and Trindon Holliday?
Old 03-01-2012   #93
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
thats the other part. Some people run fast in under armor gear but lose a lot of speed with pads on. Some lose little or none. Kendal Wright rana a slow 40, but I watched almost every Baylor game this year and he plays VERY fast.
Let's not forget an electronic system clocked Wright at 4.45. 610 KILT mentioned that Tuesday morning.
Old 03-01-2012   #94
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Let's not forget an electronic system clocked Wright at 4.45. 610 KILT mentioned that Tuesday morning.
I heard a few hand times at 4.47, too.
Old 03-01-2012   #95
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153493 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
The top 2 WRs from the '09 draft have been Hakeem Nicks and Mike Wallace. Wallace ran a 4.33 forty at the combine, .03 seconds slower than Heyward-Bey. Wallace's stats in college were similar to Heyward-Bey. His speed was similar to Heyward-Bey. Yet, Wallace lasted until the 3rd round to Pittsburgh. Had Davis drafted Wallace in the top 10, rather than Heyward-Bey, draftniks would have screamed "Reach!". And he would have come up with one of the premier deep threats in the league.

Lesson? It doesn't matter if a team drafts off past performance or athletic ability or some combo of the two. What matters is getting the pick right. It's the only thing that counts.
Or..... he would have got Jamarcus Russelled; he would not have had much success, the coaches didn't "seem" to care, the players didn't "seem" to care; Wallace may very well have been out of the league by now.

Heyward-bey may have ended up being the Steelers third round pick & 31 teams would be salivating at the thoughts of picking him up in FA while the Steelers try to find as much money as they can to sign him to a long term deal.

I personally think we've got good coaches here. I think the culture we have in Houston inspires everyone to be all they can be. I would have no problem bringing that kind of talent into this team, because you're not going to get it in the 3rd....
Old 03-01-2012   #96
Lucky

Quote:
Or..... he would have got Jamarcus Russelled; he would not have had much success, the coaches didn't "seem" to care, the players didn't "seem" to care; Wallace may very well have been out of the league by now.
I do believe there is a nature vs nurture component in evaluating draft choices. Though your example is beyond extreme. Asomugha excelled in Oakland despite the chaos around him. Talent and desire eventually shine through.

I think a team should lean to drafting to their system, as long as they aren't passing on an extraordinary talent. If a player is great, you need to find a place for him in your system. Andre Johnson would be great in any system. Patrick Willis, the same. You find a place for a player like that. Otherwise, draft the best player that fits your organization.
Old 03-02-2012   #97
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You can teach a person how to catch, how to run routes. You can't teach 4.3 speed, or 6'4", or 215lbs. This is freak territory.... elite athlete.
that mantra has led to the majority of draft day busts
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012   #98
NastyNate
I go kerplunk

Section: Uranus
Rep Power: 31542 NastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respectedNastyNate is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
that mantra has led to the majority of draft day busts
Yessir indeedy.
Old 03-02-2012   #99
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Scouts say Stephen Hill is "similar" to Demaryius Thomas coming out of #GeorgiaTech. Hill a "tad better route runner": bit.ly/AmTEhL
Old 03-02-2012   #100
Wolf6151
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 18476 Wolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf6151 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
I'm sure those guys speak on behalf of NFL teams...

CBS has him ranked in the top 5
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft
CBS has him ranked #32. Top 5?
Wolf6151 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read