Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2012   #81
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Kubiak says Schaub should be full-speed by May.

Within two weeks we will welcome Peyton Manning to the Texans. Just a hunch.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #82
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Within two weeks we will welcome Peyton Manning to the Texans. Just a hunch.
I am not ready to trade in the 31 year old with a foot injury for the 35 year old with the neck injury.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #83
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by CloakNNNdagger View Post
Now, let's look at where we may be with Schaub.

Of course, Schaub could have a perfectly functional recovery. No one can say positively otherwise at this point. But all of the stars will have to be in very accomodating alignment. He has quite a number of obstacles he must overcome. Regaining movement. Overcoming usually significant pain.......sometimes chronic, permanent and debilitating. Avoiding the fear of re-injury. Avoiding re-injury.......even when not playing against Haynesworth. Being able to maximize stress on his back plant leg while passing. Pushing off during play action or avoiding the rush.

Yes, Schaub will be able to return to the field at one point in time. But for how long and how functional?...........maybe for a couple of days after which he and the coaches decide it isn't going to "happen"...............or for a couple of Super Bowls...............or somewhere in between. Although we have been told that he suffered several fractures in his Lisfranc injury, we don't really have all the details of his injury, which makes predictions that much more difficult to offer. One thing we do know is that ANY Lisfranc injury is very serious injury for all of those that must at least walk around for a living.
I hope (& I do imagine) Someone has explained all this to Kubiak/Smith with as much detail & caution as you have for us; and that they act accordingly.
Old 03-07-2012   #84
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I am not ready to trade in the 31 year old with a foot injury for the 35 year old with the neck injury.
You do realize that the procedure Manning had done...players return and continue to play without the type of risk that you think would inherently occur.

The type of injury Matt sustained, it's the opposite.

You have the risk/reward scenario backwards. There's a better chance of Manning playing 3 or 4 more years than Schaub (a) returning at all, and (b) being a QB1 in the NFL in 2013.

Not trying to advocate us acquiring Manning, just saying that he has a much, much better chance than Schaub in the NFL now.
Old 03-07-2012   #85
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I hope (& I do imagine) Someone has explained all this to Kubiak/Smith with as much detail & caution as you have for us; and that they act accordingly.
One thing about Kubiak: He never gives up on anybody.

Remember how he paid a personal visit down to Beaux Bridge, LA, to ask Domanick Davis (Williams) if he wanted to give 'er the old college try the first year of Kubiak being our HC? Domanick said, "Thanks coach, but I'm done."

Kubiak had to have known he was likely done, but he still took the trip and shook the guy's hand and asked him if he wanted to try 'er again.

Ya' know, that right there tells you what kind of person Kubiak is. From that personal visit, to sticking with the Travis Johnsons and the Amobi Okoyes as long as he did. Continuing to stick with Jacoby "Punt Muffin" Jones in the divisional round of the playoffs. He's a loyal and patient man.

So I expect Kubiak to give Matt Schaub every opportunity, when the time comes, to see if Matt can give 'er another go. I think that's going to happen after the midway part of the reg season, and only in relief of Yates after we've got a lead and it gives something for Matt to work with rather than asking him to win a game or something. Just a hunch. Then again, I said we would tag Foster before Monday's deadline so what do I know....LOL.
Old 03-07-2012   #86
GP 
Go Texans!

CnD should be writing for one of the major sports media outlets. He makes the complex easily understood.

Can you imagine the sort of insight a sports media outlet could offer fans if they had a "From The Doc" column every week? He could enlighten fans on the latest injury sustained by some player from Sunday's game. Fantasy Football sites, alone, could garner a pretty good click rate off his columns.

But, he's our secret weapon. Thanks for all you do, doc. I couldn't give you rep because I haven't spread it around enough. But I tried.
Old 03-07-2012   #87
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
From that personal visit, to sticking with the Travis Johnsons and the Amobi Okoyes as long as he did. Continuing to stick with Jacoby "Punt Muffin" Jones in the divisional round of the playoffs. He's a loyal and patient man.
I definitely don't agree that was the reason we stayed with Tj & Amobi for so long. Aside from drafting a DT with a top 10 pick, we've been running DTs through this club like nobody's business. Just hadn't been able to replace them, given what else we deal with.
Old 03-07-2012   #88
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I seriously doubt Schaub will be ready and able in May as Kubiak said, but I would imagine that he is saying that for other reasons. What free agent WR is going to want to come to Houston if our QB might be out for a long time? Would Mario want to come back if he thought Schaub would miss significant time? How could Rick sell anyone on Super Bowl chances with TJ Yates as the starter? We saw how far he could take the team last year. Anyways, I expect May to come and go with Schaubs status being "he's progressing nicely"
Or something else equally vague.
Old 03-07-2012   #89
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I definitely don't agree that was the reason we stayed with Tj & Amobi for so long. Aside from drafting a DT with a top 10 pick, we've been running DTs through this club like nobody's business. Just hadn't been able to replace them, given what else we deal with.
Most places are so strapped to produce a winner, for an impatient owner, that they dump guys FAST if they're not working out on schedule for them.

You and I know, as do others here, that at the end of the 2010 season there was wide discontentment from the majority of people who were needing something, anything, by McNair to show that we would move on and be a winner for a change. And that involved switching the defense style, grabbing two free agents on defense, and going 99% all defense in the draft.

I think the whole organizational climate or culture of the Texans is built on slow and steady, don't rock the boat. I used to work for two organizations that had change at a glacial pace...so I can spot it from a mile away in a place like the Texans.

Kubiak fits into that culture very well. And it's paying off. Don't get me wrong. But when you have a slow and steady culture, you're going to stick with "wrong mechanisms" longer than normal. That's all I'm saying'...
Old 03-07-2012   #90
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I seriously doubt Schaub will be ready and able in May as Kubiak said, but I would imagine that he is saying that for other reasons. What free agent WR is going to want to come to Houston if our QB might be out for a long time? Would Mario want to come back if he thought Schaub would miss significant time? How could Rick sell anyone on Super Bowl chances with TJ Yates as the starter? We saw how far he could take the team last year. Anyways, I expect May to come and go with Schaubs status being "he's progressing nicely"
Or something else equally vague.
Absolutely. One thing Kubiak does well is he knows how to say the right things...not necessarily the truth, but the "right things" instead. For his employer, the Texans, he's covering all bases and saying the right things.

Kubiak is going to be the Texans HC for a very long time, IMO.
Old 03-07-2012   #91
krocket
Rookie

Rep Power: 135 krocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respectedkrocket is a quality contributor and well respected

With all of the negative possibilities mentioned here can we really pass on attempting to sign Peyton Manning and going for the whole enchilada now?
If Schaub recovers he still isn't the QB that Peyton is (if he is healthy). TJ has not shown me that he can take over at this point and move us to the SB but a healthy PM could.

Just an aside, if Mario walks out do we get a compensatory pick ?
krocket is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2012   #92
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by krocket View Post
With all of the negative possibilities mentioned here can we really pass on attempting to sign Peyton Manning and going for the whole enchilada now?
If Schaub recovers he still isn't the QB that Peyton is (if he is healthy). TJ has not shown me that he can take over at this point and move us to the SB but a healthy PM could.

Just an aside, if Mario walks out do we get a compensatory pick ?
Would this team wreck the salary cap for Peyton Manning and not Mario Williams? There's two big "If's" for the Texans and Peyton Manning:

"If" Manning is healthy.
"If" Manning is willing to play for a significantly less amount of money than other teams would pay him.

If you can imagine all of that working out in the Texans favor then sure, sign Manning win superbowls.
Old 03-07-2012   #93
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Would this team wreck the salary cap for Peyton Manning and not Mario Williams? There's two big "If's" for the Texans and Peyton Manning:

"If" Manning is healthy.
"If" Manning is willing to play for a significantly less amount of money than other teams would pay him.

If you can imagine all of that working out in the Texans favor then sure, sign Manning win superbowls.
They wouldn't need to wreck the cap. Manning has already been quoted as saying he will sign an incentive based contract and not want guaranteed money. It would actually benefit our cap space to sign him and trade Schaub.
Old 03-07-2012   #94
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 68162 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They wouldn't need to wreck the cap. Manning has already been quoted as saying he will sign an incentive based contract and not want guaranteed money. It would actually benefit our cap space to sign him and trade Schaub.
Still falls into the 2nd if:

"If" Manning is willing to play for a significantly less amount of money than other teams are offering him.
Old 03-07-2012   #95
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Still falls into the 2nd if:

"If" Manning is willing to play for a significantly less amount of money than other teams are offering him.
True. I think he will go to a contender and wouldn't mind if it ends up being us. He wants a strong and stable front office I am hearing so we may fit that requirement. One interesting thing mentioned earlier is that he always learned the offense system of whatever team going into each pro-bowl and played their system not his. That tells me he could adapt, which was one of the things I was concerned about. Any team in our position would be foolish not to see if he is interested.
Old 03-07-2012   #96
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
You are aware that anything considered a "Likely to be earned" incentive would be counted against the 2012 cap amount? Now for a player coming off a year that was completely missed due to injury, the criteria for what's likely to be earned isn't cut and dry, but he it would necessarily be the equivalent of Manning working for a year at veteran minimum.

Even if he didn't end up reaching one or more of those incentives, the salary cap wouldn't be credited until 2013.
Old 03-07-2012   #97
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
You are aware that anything considered a "Likely to be earned" incentive would be counted against the 2012 cap amount, and not be the equivalent of Manning working for free for a year?

Even if he didn't end up reaching one or more of those incentives, the salary cap wouldn't be credited until 2013.
No I didn't realize that. Thanks for clearing it up.
Old 03-07-2012   #98
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 62987 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
No I didn't realize that. Thanks for clearing it up.
Modified my preceding post for clarity, but I'll also add that it won't matter. Maybe Peyton would be willing to work for an incentive laden contract, but somebody that he wants to play for will be willing to give him enough guaranteed jack, that it will never happen.
Old 03-07-2012   #99
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Modified my preceding post for clarity, but I'll also add that it won't matter. Maybe Peyton would be willing to work for an incentive laden contract, but somebody that he wants to play for will be willing to give him enough guaranteed jack, that it will never happen.
I seriously doubt money has any bearing in where he plays. I can see him deciding where he wants to be, and telling his agent to just make it happen. I think his priority is winning, at all costs.
Old 03-07-2012   #100
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I seriously doubt money has any bearing in where he plays. I can see him deciding where he wants to be, and telling his agent to just make it happen. I think his priority is winning, at all costs.
So you think Peyton will choose one team and negotiate with them exclusively? First, even if there is one team he wants to play for, it's going to be pretty easy to create some sort of bidding war for his services, and he's way too smart not to make that happen. He also has a pretty big ego. While playing for a team he can win another Super Bowl with may be his highest priority, you know he believes that with him at QB, there's several teams that fit that criteria.

Finally, if he does indeed "Tell his agent to just make it happen", he has then put the process in the hands of the one participant who is motivated almost exclusively by money.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read