Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Kubiak says Schaub should be full-speed by May.

If I have learned anything about Kubiak since he's become our HC, its not to listen to ANYTHING he says regarding injury expectations. If he's saying he expects him full speed in May then that probably means he expects him to start jogging in August.

I pray that he's actually being upfront this one time though and Schaub really is full speed by that time. Hell, I'd even settle for July. Its not like he needs the OTA work. Let Yates take 1st team work all off-season and just focus on getting Matt ready for Training Camp.

Great news, so he'll be back to his blistering 5.3 40 yard dash!?!?!?!?!?

Just kidding Schaubby, you'd still beat me in a foot race, but just barely!

If I have learned anything about Kubiak since he's become our HC, its not to listen to ANYTHING he says regarding injury expectations. If he's saying he expects him full speed in May then that probably means he expects him to start jogging in August.

I pray that he's actually being upfront this one time though and Schaub really is full speed by that time. Hell, I'd even settle for July. Its not like he needs the OTA work. Let Yates take 1st team work all off-season and just focus on getting Matt ready for Training Camp.

Watch Matt.... Matt Leinart. If we release Leinart to create cap space, then Kubiak believes (in his heart-of-hearts) that Schaub will be ready to go in May.

If Matt Leinart sticks around, then Kubiak doesn't know any better than we do.

I hope so, given the number of athletes that never really did recover from a Linsfranc injury. Also, if this is true, it would be one of the fastest re-habs in the injury's history...

I hope so, given the number of athletes that never really did recover from a Linsfranc injury. Also, if this is true, it would be one of the fastest re-habs in the injury's history...

Yeah, TB, no BS.

Don't see it happening. Hope I'm wrong along with Doctor Jean and Marcus/David.

Medical marvel/miracle from what I'm understanding.

A round of golf anyone?

Watch Matt.... Matt Leinart. If we release Leinart to create cap space, then Kubiak believes (in his heart-of-hearts) that Schaub will be ready to go in May.

Good point....... You're 100 percent right about that.

Didn't Briesel have a speedy and successful recovery ?

Different kind of injury. There has been examples of people recovering from a broken fibula in 4 weeks. Most recently Danieal Manning.

Schaub's injury, not so much. Most guys don't make it to 100% from a serious Lisfranc

Ringing endorsement that Matt Schaub is his guy.

ps: if Texans release Matt Leinart that also means TJ Yates is #2

IMO, very good news. However, I would feel a LOT better if the team had a better track record with being more forthcoming on the true nature of the injuries and the recoveries from them.

IMO, very good news. However, I would feel a LOT better if the team had a better track record with being more forthcoming on the true nature of the injuries and the recoveries from them.

This is exactly what I was thinking. Its kind of hard to get excited with news from this crew. On one hand I appreciate them not being the doom and gloom type, but knowing that they base most of the info they release on "hopes" and not reality doesn't lead me to feel overtly excited right now.

Did you know that Dwight Freeney had a lisfranc injury in 2007? True story. Heard he still plays too.

Different kind of injury. There has been examples of people recovering from a broken fibula in 4 weeks. Most recently Danieal Manning.

Schaub's injury, not so much. Most guys don't make it to 100% from a serious Lisfranc
That was last years injury. Briesel also went IR year before with the same kind of injury Schaub suffered in 2011.

Ringing endorsement that Matt Schaub is his guy.

ps: if Texans release Matt Leinart that also means TJ Yates is #2

I think Yates is #2 either way. I wouldn't start him unless I thought he was ready, & from what I saw last year we haven't got there yet.

If the realistic expectation is that Schaub is going to start week 1, then we have no use for Leinart. If there is any question, Leinart stays just in case.

Did you know that Dwight Freeney had a lisfranc injury in 2007? True story. Heard he still plays too.

What grade was it?

Brady Quinn had it, too, in December 2009, but it was (IIRC) not his plant foot and not as severe of an injury as Schaub's.

Is it apples to apples comparison?

I think Yates is #2 either way. I wouldn't start him unless I thought he was ready, & from what I saw last year we haven't got there yet.

If the realistic expectation is that Schaub is going to start week 1, then we have no use for Leinart. If there is any question, Leinart stays just in case.

Leinart broke the same clavicle vs. Jags that he had broken previously when he was with the Cards. He could be a camp release based on the probability of injury reoccurrence AND lackluster performance versus Jags.

Truth be known, as much as I dislike Michael Lombardi, he was likely right when he said no Texans fans needed to be dismayed by Leinart being I.R.'d and Yates taking over in Jags game.

I expect Leinart will be in camp, but so will 3 or 4 other QBs, and Leinart will eventually get cut deep enough into camp or preseason to avoid Leinart and his agent and lawyers from claiming he was cut due to injury.

Frankly, I would rather watch old geezers Delhomme (whom might not be interested) and Garcia get a nod ahead of Leinart. There's something with Leinart that just feels "off."

this thread title may send this new strange anti-Schaub bunch into a panic. Could we find a better way to help lift their spirits than this?

According to this article it was - Grade III sprain: Complete disruption of ligament; could include a fracture dislocation.

Grade III.

It's late February and Schaub invites Kubiak to play golf....which is roughly about 10 weeks after he had surgery on it (back in December, I think). He had to be off it completely for a minimum of 6 weeks after surgery.

So roughly four weeks after his potential 6-weeks non-weight- bearing period was over, he's ready to hoof it around a golf course and put strain on it by hitting drives and irons???

Me thinks Schaub was being funny, like "Hey coach, let's go shoot a round of golf" and Kubiak tells the media in a way that we don't know if he was serious, joking, or what. I think this is a bunch of fun being poked at a hyped-up social media crowd.

They're probably ROFL at us as they watch us pick apart the statement in this thread. LOL.

By saying that Schaub will be ready to go in May, the Texans may be setting up a more open trade discussion for his services. Players cannot be traded if they are injured, so if it looks like he will be cleared before the draft other teams can start to make offers. I like it.

By saying that Schaub will be ready to go in May, the Texans may be setting up a more open trade discussion for his services. Players cannot be traded if they are injured, so if it looks like he will be cleared before the draft other teams can start to make offers. I like it.

I don't think anybody in the Texans organization would seek to trade him.

And a smart team would wait to see how well Schaub played in 2012, to see if he's really suitable to play again, before attempting to acquire him. By trading with the Texans sometime between now and reg season, a new team acquiring Schaub assumes the risk 100%. Why not let the Texans assume that risk?

Therefore, the earliest a team would attempt a trade for him would be right at the trade deadline. But would he be back by then, what would be his body of work in the few games he might've played in up to that point?

No, I think he'll be here all year. He'll be a free agent in 2013, and teams won't have to possibly waste a draft pick or one of their own players to get Schaub. IF they even felt he was worth targeting to begin with.

This is why I say Schaub has almost insurmountable odds to overcome. He's in No Man's Land with the grade III LisFranc and in his final year of contract.

Leinart broke the same clavicle vs. Jags that he had broken previously when he was with the Cards. He could be a camp release based on the probability of injury reoccurrence AND lackluster performance versus Jags.

Or he could go on to 215 consecutive starts (or however many games Brees has started).

& Lackluster... He looked as proficient in this system as Schaub did in Cleveland & Tennessee; something I believe HOUSTON TEXANS HEAD COACH GARY KUBIAK (not of the same esteem as Lombardi whom you quoted) values quite a bit.

Had Leinart finished that game, we likely would have scored in the high 30s. Had Leinart finished the season, our offense most likely would have stayed in the top 5. Had Leinart finished the game, we would have averaged more than 16 ppg in those final games.

When we say Tj Yates isn't ready to start, what do we mean? He can't read a defense, he can't go through his progressions, he's throwing the ball down-field despite triple coverage..... When Schaub does it, we call it "efficient' & "ball security" & "a chance to win any game." When Leinart does it, we call it "lackluster"

Lombardi.... pfft.

I can't understand how people have come to a conclusion after 1 half of a game where frankly, Leinart played decently. Like, either way, good or bad conclusions. He didn't set any fires or put any fires out. It was 1 half. 1.

I think we all know that the Texan's will shine up any injury and make it look like it wasn't that bad. I think we all know Schaub still has a long way to go.

I'd love to have Schaub back for training camp, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still of the opinion he will miss a huge part of the pre-season and possibly even the start of the regular season. I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

Leinart is awful. Period.

I won't exhaust myself trying to change people's minds.

I'd love to have Schaub back for training camp, but I'll believe it when I see it. I'm still of the opinion he will miss a huge part of the pre-season and possibly even the start of the regular season. I'd love to be proven wrong on that.

But you're a Schaub Hater! You MUST not say these things, Thorn.

I mean, we have Kubiak saying Schaub is wanting to play a round of golf already! He's actually running wind sprints right now, with JJ Watt riding piggy back. And ankle weights. In the desert.

Or he could go on to 215 consecutive starts (or however many games Brees has started).

& Lackluster... He looked as proficient in this system as Schaub did in Cleveland & Tennessee; something I believe HOUSTON TEXANS HEAD COACH GARY KUBIAK (not of the same esteem as Lombardi whom you quoted) values quite a bit.

Had Leinart finished that game, we likely would have scored in the high 30s. Had Leinart finished the season, our offense most likely would have stayed in the top 5. Had Leinart finished the game, we would have averaged more than 16 ppg in those final games.

When we say Tj Yates isn't ready to start, what do we mean? He can't read a defense, he can't go through his progressions, he's throwing the ball down-field despite triple coverage..... When Schaub does it, we call it "efficient' & "ball security" & "a chance to win any game." When Leinart does it, we call it "lackluster"

Lombardi.... pfft.

55624d1329385390-your-848-picture-not-sure-if-serious.jpg

Why would Schaub miss any regular-season games? He's already been out a long time and is progressing ahead of schedule after the surgery and rehab. I can't imagine him not being ready. People keep mentioning other players with the same injury and always sound so pessimistic. Schaub is fine and is ready to lead this team to the Super Bowl.

Why would Schaub miss any regular-season games? He's already been out a long time and is progressing ahead of schedule after the surgery and rehab. I can't imagine him not being ready. People keep mentioning other players with the same injury and always sound so pessimistic. Schaub is fine and is ready to lead this team to the Super Bowl.

Is this National Not Sure If Serious Day?

Ryan, help me out please.

Grade III.

It's late February and Schaub invites Kubiak to play golf....which is roughly about 10 weeks after he had surgery on it (back in December, I think). He had to be off it completely for a minimum of 6 weeks after surgery.

So roughly four weeks after his potential 6-weeks non-weight- bearing period was over, he's ready to hoof it around a golf course and put strain on it by hitting drives and irons???

Me thinks Schaub was being funny, like "Hey coach, let's go shoot a round of golf" and Kubiak tells the media in a way that we don't know if he was serious, joking, or what. I think this is a bunch of fun being poked at a hyped-up social media crowd.

They're probably ROFL at us as they watch us pick apart the statement in this thread. LOL.

They must have left out a part about this golf being on the playstation.

Nice try Kubes, nice try. :tiphat:

I don't think anybody in the Texans organization would seek to trade him.

And a smart team would wait to see how well Schaub played in 2012, to see if he's really suitable to play again, before attempting to acquire him. By trading with the Texans sometime between now and reg season, a new team acquiring Schaub assumes the risk 100%. Why not let the Texans assume that risk?

Therefore, the earliest a team would attempt a trade for him would be right at the trade deadline. But would he be back by then, what would be his body of work in the few games he might've played in up to that point?

No, I think he'll be here all year. He'll be a free agent in 2013, and teams won't have to possibly waste a draft pick or one of their own players to get Schaub. IF they even felt he was worth targeting to begin with.

This is why I say Schaub has almost insurmountable odds to overcome. He's in No Man's Land with the grade III LisFranc and in his final year of contract.
Let's take Washingon who obviously needs a QB desperately. Colts draft Luck & RG3 goes to Cleveland in a trade up. Manning goes to Seattle. Is not Schaub the next best choice even if his healthy return not 100% guaranteed? Would skins management want fans to know they have a passing QB on the bench even if it is mid-season before he starts? Teams needing a QB now might not want to wait another season if one is available. We see stupid choices made on QBs every year.

The problem for me is not trading Schaub but who do we go after? Only RG3 #2 makes sense player wise & I doubt we can compete with Cleveland.

I'd watch the drat. I have no doubt that Kubes beoieves more in Yates than he ever did in Leinart. Leinart kinda sunk himself in the Jags game with a horrible yards per anything.

According to this quote from Kubiak, we're standing pat at QB.

(on if T.J. Yates or Matt Leinart is the Texans’ No. 2 quarterback going into next season) “If I had to go camp tomorrow, I got all three of those guys back in line. I know who my No. 1 is . What I would do is let T.J. (Yates) and Matt (Leinart) go back and battle for the backup
spot behind Schaubby (Matt Schaub)
. I think those guys both did a good job with their opportunity. It's hard to fault Leinart with what happened to him. He played a half of football and was playing very well. They're both still young players making their way back up to the top. And T.J. of course still a young player. I think we'd just line them both up side by side and they'd go in there to battle to be the back up to Matt (Schaub).”

Either this is the most proficient coach speak this side of Belicheck or we ain't trading anybody nor drafting any project QBs ...at least going into 2012 we're not.

Let's take Washingon who obviously needs a QB desperately. Colts draft Luck & RG3 goes to Cleveland in a trade up. Manning goes to Seattle. Is not Schaub the next best choice even if his healthy return not 100% guaranteed? Would skins management want fans to know they have a passing QB on the bench even if it is mid-season before he starts? Teams needing a QB now might not want to wait another season if one is available. We see stupid choices made on QBs every year.

The problem for me is not trading Schaub but who do we go after? Only RG3 #2 makes sense player wise & I doubt we can compete with Cleveland.

ONLY some owner and GM who are extremely and wildly desperate for a better QB would consider trading for Schaub before he's had a chance to prove he's "all the way back" from the injury. It'd have to be a perfect storm of desperation and motivation on the part of an owner and GM.

Boy how times have changed if we'd have Shanahan taking on Texans' players rather than the days of the Texans employing ex-Broncos.

I don't think Peyton Manning has a happy ending this year unless he can fully prove he's all the way back, as well.

Also, it's still possible RG3 is selected by the Colts if Irsay gets a wild hair to change course based on multiple factors that can play out.

There's a lot of change that can occur. I suppose a team might see Schaub as a much better QB than what they have or could acquire elsewhere, but the injury is scary. I think it's too risky.

According to this quote from Kubiak, we're standing pat at QB.

Either this is the most proficient coach speak this side of Belicheck or we ain't trading anybody nor drafting any project QBs ...at least going into 2012 we're not.

I wouldn't want three QBs--Schaub, Leinart, Yates--hearing me, the HC, talk about how TJ is the starter and Leinart is QB2 and Schaub becomes the starter and then Yates is QB2 and Leinart is QB3, on and on and on....

At this stage, I can't sit here and think Kubiak was thrilled with Leinart's 1.75 quarters of football vs. Jags in 2011. Kubiak is being wise. Smart man.

Schaub is being honored and spoken of as the veteran starter, Leinart can't be judged because he got hurt early vs. Jags, and Yates is young. Notice how Kubiak spread the love around and never indicted anybody either by direct criticism or omission from the conversation.

He keeps Schaub motivated, Leinart encouraged, and Yates challenged as a young guy like Yates should be thinking...rather than thinking the starting job is handed to him on a platter.

Smart man.

I wouldn't want three QBs--Schaub, Leinart, Yates--hearing me, the HC, talk about how TJ is the starter and Leinart is QB2 and Schaub becomes the starter and then Yates is QB2 and Leinart is QB3, on and on and on....

At this stage, I can't sit here and think Kubiak was thrilled with Leinart's 1.75 quarters of football vs. Jags in 2011. Kubiak is being wise. Smart man.

Schaub is being honored and spoken of as the veteran starter, Leinart can't be judged because he got hurt early vs. Jags, and Yates is young. Notice how Kubiak spread the love around and never indicted anybody either by direct criticism or omission from the conversation.

He keeps Schaub motivated, Leinart encouraged, and Yates challenged as a young guy like Yates should be thinking...rather than thinking the starting job is handed to him on a platter.

Smart man.

Agreed.

now if he could just master clock mgmt & learn when to toss that challenge flag...

I believe nothing that Gary or the Texans medical staff says when it comes to severity of injuries.

History has made me feel this way.

now if he could just master clock mgmt & learn when to toss that challenge flag...

Everybody was so busy ooh'ing and ahh'ing over JJ Watt's awesome interception in the Bengals playoff game that I think they missed how much Kubiak out-coached Marvin Lewis.

I don't think I've ever seen Kubiak so smart with the red flag, time outs, etc. than in that game. It was a thing of beauty. Marvin burned two timeouts on failed challenges. The Bengals were going to try something sneaky on a 4th down and Kubiak calls timeout because he sees it unfolding.

It was hands down the best ass whoopin' Kubiak has delivered to an opposing HC. Well, maybe the sweep of Del Rio this year is a fitting candidate too. That was like cutting off a snake's head.

I believe nothing that Gary or the Texans medical staff says when it comes to severity of injuries.

History has made me feel this way.

They did well with the Briesel and Manning leg injuries, but nothing else they do has me interested in believing their reports and predictions.

All this "Schaub wants to play golf" is pre-draft babble, IMO. It's designed to put a thought into the heads of opposing GMs on multiple levels. Which is good.

Cnd said that if Manning played with the deep bone bruise he could fracture the bone. If it wasn't already fractured. He said it usually takes 10-14 days to see if there is a fracture that had occurred after the original injury. Once again CND was spot on.

In the Manning case regardless of whether Manning had suffered a fracture or not he shouldn't have been playing with a bad bone bruise. So I give the Texans med staff no kudos on handling that injury properly.

Schaub did say he was ahead of schedule a few weeks after the surgery. I just want him healthy for training camp myself.....I know he said he was looking foward to being out there for training camp and was chomping at the bit waiting for it. I think Schaub comes back and has a big year this year......

Schaub did say he was ahead of schedule a few weeks after the surgery. I just want him healthy for training camp myself.....I know he said he was looking foward to being out there for training camp and was chomping at the bit waiting for it. I think Schaub comes back and has a big year this year......

Hope you're right.

If healthy he should have a big yr.

Cnd said that if Manning played with the deep bone bruise he could fracture the bone. If it wasn't already fractured. He said it usually takes 10-14 days to see if there is a fracture that had occurred after the original injury. Once again CND was spot on.

In the Manning case regardless of whether Manning had suffered a fracture or not he shouldn't have been playing with a bad bone bruise. So I give the Texans med staff no kudos on handling that injury properly.

To clarify what I said:

I didn't mean they handled the bone bruise prior to the fracture properly.

I just meant that when he was out for the three weeks, the report or prediction from the Texans was that he'd be out that amount of time. Usually, they say a player will be back on a certain date and it's not until much later after that date we see them back on the field.

To clarify what I said:

I didn't mean they handled the bone bruise prior to the fracture properly.

I just meant that when he was out for the three weeks, the report or prediction from the Texans was that he'd be out that amount of time. Usually, they say a player will be back on a certain date and it's not until much later after that date we see them back on the field.

I think that's SteelB's point. They miss more often than they hit on these "he should be out X number of weeks" predictions/declarations.

I think that's SteelB's point. They miss more often than they hit on these "he should be out X number of weeks" predictions/declarations.

Yes and no.

Yes, they miss more than they hit. No, he was thinking about how they should have held him out so that the bruise didn't matriculate into a fracture.

My point was that on THESE TWO INSTANCES (Manning and Briesel) they set a return date that actually happened when they said it would. I, for one, was not expecting them to back that soon...I figured it was a bullschit return date for Manning. But when Manning WAS back in about 3 weeks, I rested easier knowing Briesel would be back in the same about of time too.

Other than that, you just cannot trust the Texans to be either (a) correct in their timetable for return, or (b) freely giving that information out due to playing head games with opponents, or (c) both A and B at the same time! LOL.

All I'm saying is...I've still got a D. Davis #37 in Battle Red somewhere at the back of my wardrobe. And he was going to be good to go by training camp too.

All I'm saying is...I've still got a D. Davis #37 in Battle Red somewhere at the back of my wardrobe.

I have a white Carr field jersey (Reebok with the cuffs on the sleeves ... actual game jersey) unopened still in the plastic. My jersey is sadder than your jersey. :bender:

Back