Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2012   #21
ArlingtonTexan

Rep Power: 73193 ArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedArlingtonTexan is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Cap - $21,581,000 with 44 players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
A for effort OP, plenty around here have done the same and come up with about the same numbers given public information. However, the question has been somewhat resolved by John Clayton, who claims we have 3.3 million here:

http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...p-room-improve

We simply don't know enough about the details of the Texans' contracts to pinpoint their cap numbers. We know reports of players restructuring deals last year pushed money into 2012 and beyond, but nobody outside the Texans FO knows how much got moved. We also don't know exactly what dead money they owe this year, or exactly how much each contract escalates. It's all guesswork with rotoword, spottrac or whatever you're using. In any case, it looks like Rick has a lot of work to do.
This is posting is accurate. I appreciate the attempt by the OP (like a fact based attempt), but almost every guy who does this for a living has the Texans under 10 million (no additional roster cuts), so the 20 plus million amount seems like a lack of accurate information more than anything.
Old 02-22-2012   #22
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
they aren't restructuring Joseph's contract 1 year in.
They restructured DeMeco's after one year, and Pittsburgh just did Lawrence Timmons and Lamar Woodley after a year.

The earlier into the contract, the easier it is to restructure, and the more potential it has to generate cap room in the year it's restructured. Lots of restructures have no negative economic impact, and some even have a slight favorable impact on the player (In Timmons case, he will actually receive $1.925 Million of what was originally 2012 base salary as a bonus before the season starts).

I firmly believe that some contracts are written specifically to allow for easy restructure in the first year or two.
Old 02-22-2012   #23
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
they aren't restructuring Joseph's contract 1 year in.
restructuring is just shifting garunteed money and salary- the actual total amound paid out remains the same

no players is going to turn down getting their salary in march over getting it sept-dec, 1 yr into a contract or 4 yrs its shouldnt matter. renegotiating is a totally different matter
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #24
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87732 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
This is posting is accurate. I appreciate the attempt by the OP (like a fact based attempt), but almost every guy who does this for a living has the Texans under 10 million (no additional roster cuts), so the 20 plus million amount seems like a lack of accurate information more than anything.
Another example that this is extremely difficult and complex even for connected guys like Clayton was pointed out in the last day or two by KC General Manager Scott Pioli.

Just FYI, the players the article is referring to are Duane Bowe, and Brandon Carr, and the $63 Million cap number came from Clayton.
Quote:
Some would say the Chiefs have more than enough cap room to sign both guys. But Pioli explained that the $63 million number recently publicized doesn’t reflect incentives and escalators from 2011 that hit the cap in 2012. He said that roughly $25 million will be consumed by such payments, which puts the real cap bulge in the neighborhood of $38 million.
LINK

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess that whatever the Texans "Incentives and escalators from 2011" are, nobody on this board has correctly factored them in when doing their own estimates/calculations.
Old 02-22-2012   #25
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChampionTexan View Post
Another example that this is extremely difficult and complex even for connected guys like Clayton was pointed out in the last day or two by KC General Manager Scott Pioli.

Just FYI, the players the article is referring to are Duane Bowe, and Brandon Carr, and the $63 Million cap number came from Clayton.

LINK

Maybe I'm wrong, but I'm gonna guess that whatever the Texans "Incentives and escalators from 2011" are, nobody on this board has correctly factored them in when doing their own estimates/calculations.
I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how the hell the Chiefs paid 25 million in incentives. That team was bad and didn't make the playoffs, it must have been for games started or something. They sent 2 guys to the probowl, nobody made all-pro, and they had a bunch of injuries. I just don't know how they pay out that much in one bad year.
Old 02-22-2012   #26
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Quote:
I'm racking my brain trying to figure out how the hell the Chiefs paid 25 million in incentives. That team was bad and didn't make the playoffs, it must have been for games started or something. They sent 2 guys to the probowl, nobody made all-pro, and they had a bunch of injuries. I just don't know how they pay out that much in one bad year.
Maybe Pioli's lieing through his teeth (he was brought up in the Bill Belichick school of football you know), but the point is that given the complexities, and the unreliability of information available to the vast majority of us, it's probably kind of a fool's errand to try to figure this out yourself.

(and if anybody wonders what I mean by the unreliability of the information available, compare Jacoby's 2011 base salary amount on Spotrac to the paragraph 5 minimum salary for 4-6 year veterans as reflected in the current CBA). (Hint - his 2011 base salary reflected on Spotrac is more than $200,000 below the minimum for a player with his tenure).
Old 02-22-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
Texans can re-sign Arian Foster at $8,200,000, comparible to Maurice Jones Drew, bring their remaining money to $7,917,000 and have 1 spot left on roster.

With restructuring contracts for Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Walter and/or cutting additional players, the Texans could bring their remaining money up to try and clear $12,000,000 for Mario or for an additional free agent OLB or WR.
Looks good to me...... except, I don't think we'll have to go with an $8M cap number for Arian, or a $12M cap number for Mario. I'm thinking closer to $6M for Arian, closer to $10M for Mario.

Remember, I'm talking about cap number, not "avg value" of the contract, or guaranteed money. The money they're paid over the first 2 or 3 years is rarely reflected in their cap numbers.
Old 02-22-2012   #28
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 240492 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by ArlingtonTexan View Post
"Everyone" assumes they are going by contracts that are still on the books until March 13, including Mario.

The OP stated he is only counting the contracts of 44 players..... not 53.

I don't know if he's using 2011 salaries or 2012..... like Dutch said.... nobody knows the 2012 numbers, so he has to be using 2011 numbers, which we know won't carry over.
Old 02-23-2012   #29
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I understand a lot of information out there is not accurate, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to try and get a better understanding of where the Texans stand this summer for myself. I am going off the $123,000,000 cap for 2012. The Texans have 44 players under contract for a total of $101,419,000 leaving $21,581,000 and have 9 spots to fill on their roster.

That leaves free agents of Williams, Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, Demps, Barber, Studdard, Rackers, Ward, Allen.

I am going to assume the Texans sign 4 of their draft picks which would cost $4,200,000, which brings the number down to $17,381,000 and 5 spots left on the roster.

If the Texans cut Jacoby Jones, Matt Leinart, Garrett Graham, that will bring the number back up to $24,702,000, and have 8 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Chris Myers at $4,500,000, comparible to Ryan Kalil, bring their remaining money to $20,202,000, and have 7 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Mike Brisiel at $2,000,000, comparible to Wade Smith, bring their remaining money to $18,202,000, and have 4 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Neil Rackers at $1,500,000, bring their remaining money to $16,702,000 and have 3 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Quintin Demps at $585,000, bring their remaining money to $16,117,000 and have 2 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Arian Foster at $8,200,000, comparible to Maurice Jones Drew, bring their remaining money to $7,917,000 and have 1 spot left on roster.

With restructuring contracts for Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Walter and/or cutting additional players, the Texans could bring their remaining money up to try and clear $12,000,000 for Mario or for an additional free agent OLB or WR.
If the Texans are going to sign only 4 draft picks I hope they use the other 3 picks to trade. I have not seen any projections of a Texans player's contract going up tremendously in 2012. There will some increase over all but should not stop them from doing what they want.
Old 02-23-2012   #30
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
If the Texans are going to sign only 4 draft picks I hope they use the other 3 picks to trade. I have not seen any projections of a Texans player's contract going up tremendously in 2012. There will some increase over all but should not stop them from doing what they want.
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I wonder how much cap space the Texans could save by trading out of the 1st and using 5-7th picks to move up their 2-4 picks. Might help pinch some pennies in a cap crunch.
Old 02-28-2012   #31
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

these were the numbers I had for 2012
Player Salary Cap Hit
J Joseph $7.250 $9.750
M Schaub $7.150 $8.316
A Johnson $6.500 $9.328
O Daniels $6.500 $6.500
D Ryans $5.900 $7.150
A Smith $5.500 $8.000
E Winston $5.500 $5.500
D Manning $5.000 $5.000
J Jones $4.791 $4.941
K Walter $3.500 $3.500
M Leinart $3.000 $3.000
S Cody $2.250 $2.250
W Smith $2.000 $2.000
R. Butler $1.533 $2.158
B Cushing $1.153 $2.359
JJ Watt $0.856 $2.524
D Brown $0.781 $1.362
K Jackson $0.700 $2.013
G Quin $0.565 $0.607
C Barwin $0.565 $0.917
A Caldwell $0.565 $0.766
J Casey $0.565 $0.611
T Jamison $0.565 $0.569
B McCain $0.565 $0.591
B Harris $0.546 $0.771
B Reed $0.546 $0.884
E Mitchell $0.490 $0.899
D Sharpton $0.490 $0.624
G Graham $0.490 $0.821
S McManis $0.490 $0.538
S Smith $0.490 $0.516
B Tate $0.490 $0.490
R Carmichael $0.490 $0.589
D Newton $0.465 $0.489
TJ Yates $0.465 $0.511
J Nading $0.555
S Keo $0.555
T Nolan $0.565
B Braman $0.490
M Alexander $0.490
B Hartmann $0.490
L Jean $0.490
J Maehl $0.490
A Gardner $0.490
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012   #32
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I hadn't really thought about it before, but I wonder how much cap space the Texans could save by trading out of the 1st and using 5-7th picks to move up their 2-4 picks. Might help pinch some pennies in a cap crunch.
Not as much as under previous CBA but I have advocated that type savings before. This draft could be a real significant chance of seeing a trade back. Konz, Poe, Hightower and some others who could be there would be worth losing to pick up another 2nd and 3rd +maybe a 2013 pick. I'm hoping Tannehill or maybe Hill is there & someone will offer a high package for #26.
Old 02-28-2012   #33
badboy
Site Contributor

Hope that amount on Jacoby is correct as it adds more $ to my cut him scenario. He and Leinert = a re-signed Foster.
Old 02-28-2012   #34
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

PFT now reporting cap may be lower than most expected.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #35
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 24274 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Salary Cap as of 2/28/12

2012 “top 51″ cap numbers, as of February 28
Posted by Mike Florio on February 28, 2012, 11:15 PM EST
[Editor's note: The following list reflects salary cap numbers for the top 51 players currently under contract with each team. It does not include potential cap carryover from 2011. For those numbers, click here.]

Raiders: $145.7 million.

Giants: $129.1 million.

Panthers: $128.5 million.

Cowboys: $124.3 million.

Lions: $123.0 million.

Jets: $120.9 million.

Packers: $120.7 million.

Steelers: $120.5 million.

Texans: $118.9 million.

Rams: $118.0 million.

Cardinals: $117.7 million.

Ravens: $116.3 million.

Vikings: $116.0 million.

Eagles: $112.8 million.

Chargers: $112.8 million.

Dolphins: $112.7 million.

Seahawks: $110.0 million.

Saints: $109.6 million.

Chiefs: $108.9 million.

Colts: $107.5 million.

Jaguars: $107.3 million.

49ers: $105.9 million.

Bills: $104.7 million.

Browns: $103.4 million.

Patriots: $102.6 million.

Bears: $101.9 million.

Falcons: $101.5 million.

Broncos: $98.7 million.

Titans: $94.5 million.

Redskins: $93.5 million.

Buccaneers: $92.7 million.

Bengals: $83.5 million.
Old 02-29-2012   #36
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Hope that amount on Jacoby is correct as it adds more $ to my cut him scenario. He and Leinert = a re-signed Foster.
I quoted this because I tend to agree with it. However, I don't remember if Bryant Johnson was brought in during the preseason or during the regular season. If during the regular season, I believe he showed some promise that if given a full offseason to work with our QBs he would actually have better hands to be better than Jacoby and Demps showed enough on the return duties IMO.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #37
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Salary Cap as of 2/28/12

mario williams is still under contract
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #38
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 282115 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Raiders 75% higher than Bengals ... wow.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-29-2012   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

I think it is interesting to note that Texans signed 2011 picks, handled escalating deals and went strong in free agency to sign 2 high dollars starters yet did not have to use the new CBA's tool allowing team to borrow $3million from a future year.
Old 02-29-2012   #40
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
I quoted this because I tend to agree with it. However, I don't remember if Bryant Johnson was brought in during the preseason or during the regular season. If during the regular season, I believe he showed some promise that if given a full offseason to work with our QBs he would actually have better hands to be better than Jacoby and Demps showed enough on the return duties IMO.
Bryant Johnson qualifies for AARP. Isn't he old?
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read