Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-22-2012   #1
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans Salary Cap Thread

I understand a lot of information out there is not accurate, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to try and get a better understanding of where the Texans stand this summer for myself. I am going off the $123,000,000 cap for 2012. The Texans have 44 players under contract for a total of $101,419,000 leaving $21,581,000 and have 9 spots to fill on their roster.

That leaves free agents of Williams, Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, Demps, Barber, Studdard, Rackers, Ward, Allen.

I am going to assume the Texans sign 4 of their draft picks which would cost $4,200,000, which brings the number down to $17,381,000 and 5 spots left on the roster.

If the Texans cut Jacoby Jones, Matt Leinart, Garrett Graham, that will bring the number back up to $24,702,000, and have 8 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Chris Myers at $4,500,000, comparible to Ryan Kalil, bring their remaining money to $20,202,000, and have 7 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Mike Brisiel at $2,000,000, comparible to Wade Smith, bring their remaining money to $18,202,000, and have 4 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Neil Rackers at $1,500,000, bring their remaining money to $16,702,000 and have 3 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Quintin Demps at $585,000, bring their remaining money to $16,117,000 and have 2 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Arian Foster at $8,200,000, comparible to Maurice Jones Drew, bring their remaining money to $7,917,000 and have 1 spot left on roster.

With restructuring contracts for Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Walter and/or cutting additional players, the Texans could bring their remaining money up to try and clear $12,000,000 for Mario or for an additional free agent OLB or WR.
redwhiteblue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #2
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Texans Cap - $21,581,000 with 44 players

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue View Post
I understand a lot of information out there is not accurate, so take this with a grain of salt, but I wanted to try and get a better understanding of where the Texans stand this summer for myself. I am going off the $123,000,000 cap for 2012. The Texans have 44 players under contract for a total of $101,419,000 leaving $21,581,000 and have 9 spots to fill on their roster.

That leaves free agents of Williams, Foster, Myers, Brisiel, Dreessen, Demps, Barber, Studdard, Rackers, Ward, Allen.

I am going to assume the Texans sign 4 of their draft picks which would cost $4,200,000, which brings the number down to $17,381,000 and 5 spots left on the roster.

If the Texans cut Jacoby Jones, Matt Leinart, Garrett Graham, that will bring the number back up to $24,702,000, and have 8 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Chris Myers at $4,500,000, comparible to Ryan Kalil, bring their remaining money to $20,202,000, and have 7 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Mike Brisiel at $2,000,000, comparible to Wade Smith, bring their remaining money to $18,202,000, and have 4 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Neil Rackers at $1,500,000, bring their remaining money to $16,702,000 and have 3 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Quintin Demps at $585,000, bring their remaining money to $16,117,000 and have 2 spots left on roster.

Texans can re-sign Arian Foster at $8,200,000, comparible to Maurice Jones Drew, bring their remaining money to $7,917,000 and have 1 spot left on roster.

With restructuring contracts for Owen Daniels, Eric Winston, Johnathan Joseph, Kevin Walter and/or cutting additional players, the Texans could bring their remaining money up to try and clear $12,000,000 for Mario or for an additional free agent OLB or WR.

How did you sign 2 people but account for 4? The problem with OD and Ryans is they are too expensive to cut and too soon to restructure. Our biggest issue is our draft picks are starting to pan out and their contracts are expiring and we continue to sign contracts with ballooning salaries. I dont see how you sign our top free agents and quality depth signings and then dish out 10+ million for Mario.
Old 02-22-2012   #3
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Rep Power: 2087 redwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respectedredwhiteblue is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
How did you sign 2 people but account for 4? The problem with OD and Ryans is they are too expensive to cut and too soon to restructure. Our biggest issue is our draft picks are starting to pan out and their contracts are expiring and we continue to sign contracts with ballooning salaries. I dont see how you sign our top free agents and quality depth signings and then dish out 10+ million for Mario.

While I agree the texans need to plan for their future free agents, I don't think they can pass on doing everything the can for Mario and foster and their O Line right now. A bird in the hand is worth two in the bush. Anything can happen between now and then
Old 02-22-2012   #4
2slik4u
All Pro

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 11791 2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected2slik4u is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Not sure if this accurate or not but this is an extremely well thought out post for a newbie. Good post. Rep.
Old 02-22-2012   #5
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

where are you getting your figures?

not trying to be an ass but i just want to see how accurate that is. I presume those are salary figures you used? what about prorated bonuses etc from restructured contracts from previous yrs etc?

i dont think any fan can come up with an accurate cap figure when we dont have info like that available to us
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #6
Mike77015
Rookie

Rep Power: 0 Mike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performerMike77015 is a Legendary performer

Only fault I see is that you lost two player signings after 7 spots remained.
Mike77015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #7
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Post Re: Texans Cap - $21,581,000 with 44 players

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
where are you getting your figures?

not trying to be an ass but i just want to see how accurate that is. I presume those are salary figures you used? what about prorated bonuses etc from restructured contracts from previous yrs etc?

i dont think any fan can come up with an accurate cap figure when we dont have info like that available to us
Yeah I tried to explain in the intro that these numbers could be way off. The site had two different numbers listed, the salary and the cap hit that includes bonuses. I used the cap hit number and like you said us outside the organization will never know the true numbers, but I was just trying to crunch some numbers and do a fun experiment to help pass the time while we wait for all the texans off season moves to start. I would like to keep Mario and foster and Myers and brisiel and was just trying to see if that was even close to a reality
Sponsored links
Old 02-22-2012   #8
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike77015 View Post
Only fault I see is that you lost two player signings after 7 spots remained.
Yeah I messed that up, my mistake.
Old 02-22-2012   #9
redwhiteblue
Veteran

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2slik4u View Post
Not sure if this accurate or not but this is an extremely well thought out post for a newbie. Good post. Rep.
Thanks
Old 02-22-2012   #10
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Yeah I tried to explain in the intro that these numbers could be way off. The site had two different numbers listed, the salary and the cap hit that includes bonuses. I used the cap hit number and like you said us outside the organization will never know the true numbers, but I was just trying to crunch some numbers and do a fun experiment to help pass the time while we wait for all the texans off season moves to start. I would like to keep Mario and foster and Myers and brisiel and was just trying to see if that was even close to a reality
well if it is fairly accurate, i dont see how we dont sign everybody we want back (although tbh ive thought we would resign mario, arian and myers all along and this salary cap pressure we're supposedly under is overhyped filler 'news')

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
also am i missing something or does is seem pretty easy to resign nearly everyone after reading that? i presume the $3m cap space is what we have currently (ie 2011 salary cap figures)?

if that is the case it should not be that difficult to resign everybody?

Current cap space-> 3m
Restructure JJoe, Demeco & OD like aj suggests-> at least $10m
Cut JJ, Leinart-> most of 7m
Mario, Myers, other FA's etc 2011 cap figure coming off the books->at least 15m

thats at least 35m (even with conservative estimates of potential cap savings without mentioning any increase to the 2012 cap or extensions to guys like schaub & duane that would reduce their cap hits) which should be plenty to lock down all our key guys

what am i missing?
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #11
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 140 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

Remember we need a few million for rookies also.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #12
NCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39211 NCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedNCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bubbajwp View Post
Remember we need a few million for rookies also.
He didn't. He got the extra money back from cutting some people.

Quote:
Originally Posted by redwhiteblue
NCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #13
SteveSlaton20
All Pro

Rep Power: 717 SteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respectedSteveSlaton20 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to SteveSlaton20

No thanks, we need to go after a new kicker.
Old 02-22-2012   #14
ObsiWan
Contributor

Rep Power: 112650 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Now this is a "Let's play GM" post even I can follow. I don't know how accurate the salary numbers are but they don't look too off-base to me.
This looks much more logical than repeatedly yelling "We can't afford everyone!!" I like this since it shows, definitively, why we're close to the edge.

+1
Old 02-22-2012   #15
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Yep, most definitive outline of the very murky cap conundrum. Rep.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #16
amazing80
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 33404 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

This is possible, BUT his salary balloons to over 9 million the 3rd season and over 11 million in his 6th season, not very smart considering the massive deals already in place.

Not bad here. This would be a great deal.

The top kickers in the league range from 3-4 million PER against the salary, I am not sure if he takes that little amount.

http://www.spotrac.com/top-salaries/nfl/cap-hit/kicker/

Again, not sure he would sign for this low of a number. Id say at minimum it would be closer to 1 million. He plays a lot and is versatile on special teams.

I think he signs closer to 9 million a season, but maybe we convince him to take less. That would be between D Williams and C Johnsons deal.

I hate this because you're assuming they agree to it. They have no reason to re-do their deals and are too costly to just cut. We have no leverage over them to re-structure.
So assuming my numbers, you have 5 million left with 3 roster spots left. You need to replace J Jones, Leinart, and Graham, and even if you draft to replace them, you have 3 wholes on your team. So for 5 million and 3 roster spots, you will NOT be able to sign Mario.....
Old 02-22-2012   #17
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 63790 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

they aren't restructuring Joseph's contract 1 year in.
Mr teX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2012   #18
Big Lou
"NUK-LEAR"

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 17619 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

I am going to assume the Texans sign 4 of their draft picks which would cost $4,200,000,
which brings the number down to $17,381,000 and 5 spots left on the roster.

I'm pretty sure we get additional funds to sign Draft Picks.

Also are you accounting for the dead money in the contracts of th cut players. They don't count straight against the cap, some money stays on the book as dead cap money.
Old 02-22-2012   #19
amazing80
Site Contributor

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
I'm pretty sure we get additional funds to sign Draft Picks.

Also are you accounting for the dead money in the contracts of th cut players. They don't count straight against the cap, some money stays on the book as dead cap money.

Yes and no. There is a rookie salary within the team salary, but if the rookie is within the top 51 paid players on their team then the salary and bonuses count towards the whole salary cap. If they are NOT the top 51 paid players on the team than ONLY their bonuses count against the cap.

Quote:
Now consider a third-round draft pick for the same team. He signs a four-year contract with minimum base salaries and a signing bonus of $700,000. His first-year cap number would be $485,000, consisting of his $310,000 base salary and his $175,000 bonus proration. All $485,000 would count against his team's rookie pool and against his team's salary cap. However, by assuming his place in the team's top 51 cap numbers, he knocks the player with a $400,000 cap number ($385,000 base salary) out of the team's top 51. For that player, his base salary no longer counts against the cap, leaving only the other $15,000 counting against the cap. The net result is that the team's cap room is reduced by only $100,000 the draftee's $485,000 is charged against the cap, but the second-year player's $385,000 base salary no longer is.
http://adamjt13.blogspot.com/2009/04...alary-cap.html
Old 02-22-2012   #20
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

A for effort OP, plenty around here have done the same and come up with about the same numbers given public information. However, the question has been somewhat resolved by John Clayton, who claims we have 3.3 million here:

Quote:
The Houston Texans and San Diego Chargers didn't have enough remaining room to push money over into 2012, so Houston has $3.3 million of cap space and San Diego has $9.2 million.
http://espn.go.com/nfl/story/_/id/75...p-room-improve

We simply don't know enough about the details of the Texans' contracts to pinpoint their cap numbers. We know reports of players restructuring deals last year pushed money into 2012 and beyond, but nobody outside the Texans FO knows how much got moved. We also don't know exactly what dead money they owe this year, or exactly how much each contract escalates. It's all guesswork with rotoword, spottrac or whatever you're using. In any case, it looks like Rick has a lot of work to do.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read