Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-20-2012   #1
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Texans cap at 6.8 Million

Omar Kelly beat reporter for MIA, where he got our cap number I dont know. A lot of team cap numbers have been coming out today.

Omar Kelly
Also In Football
I initially thought there was NO WAY the Houston Texans would let Mario Williams get free, but I'm changing my tune after crunching the numbers. The Texans have about $6.8 million to work with in salary cap space for 2012. And they have to re-sign Arian Foster and Williams, who will likely get a record setting deal. That means they'll be cutting a ton of players, and letting many free agents walk no matter who they redo. Houston need to start restructuring some deals or they'll be picked apart.
http://www.sulia.com/channel/miami-d...source=twitter

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
I need the list of free agents on the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers because both franchises are about to get plundered.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #2
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan
Default Re: Texans cap at 6.8 Million

That's better than i originally thought.
Old 02-20-2012   #3
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14302 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
That's better than i originally thought.
Same. I thought they had $1 or $2 million under the cap. $6.8 million makes me feel a lot better and Rick Smith is smart enough to make it all work. He'll restructure enough contracts to make it all work.
Old 02-20-2012   #4
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 85708 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about with regards to the comment about the team getting plundered.
There is WAY too much time between now and the time that teams must meet the salary cap.
There will be a lot of maneuvering between now and then, and it will be performed by men who know a whole lot more about the salary cap than this beat writer will ever know in his lifetime.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #5
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Same. I thought they had $1 or $2 million under the cap. $6.8 million makes me feel a lot better and Rick Smith is smart enough to make it all work. He'll restructure enough contracts to make it all work.
Those 1-2 million figures were for 2011 space. That's before you remove expiring deals and dead money. Lots of estimates have been thrown around but subtracting Mario alone should add 18 million from that number. We should have a lot more than 6.8 million to work with in 2012.
Old 02-20-2012   #6
Big Lou
Stop Clowning

Section: DirecTV
Rep Power: 21478 Big Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respectedBig Lou is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
Omar Kelly beat reporter for MIA, where he got our cap number I dont know. A lot of team cap numbers have been coming out today.

Omar Kelly
Also In Football
I initially thought there was NO WAY the Houston Texans would let Mario Williams get free, but I'm changing my tune after crunching the numbers. The Texans have about $6.8 million to work with in salary cap space for 2012. And they have to re-sign Arian Foster and Williams, who will likely get a record setting deal. That means they'll be cutting a ton of players, and letting many free agents walk no matter who they redo. Houston need to start restructuring some deals or they'll be picked apart.

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
I need the list of free agents on the Houston Texans and Green Bay Packers because both franchises are about to get plundered.
Thanks for the post!!!

I'm thinking its all about context and how the number applys. I mean I just don't see only having 6.8 million to work with when Mario's huge final contract year is coming off the books. Wasn't his final contract year worth like 18 mil or something?

I'm not worrying about the cap until we start to see the behaviour of Rick Smith as soon as FA begins.
Old 02-20-2012   #7
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Lou View Post
Thanks for the post!!!

I'm thinking its all about context and how the number applys. I mean I just don't see only having 6.8 million to work with when Mario's huge final contract year is coming off the books. Wasn't his final contract year worth like 18 mil or something?

I'm not worrying about the cap until we start to see the behaviour of Rick Smith as soon as FA begins.
Honestly no one has any idea what he made, numerous sites say he only had 15.150 against the cap this season, but mcclain is pumping out 18 M which the ONLY site I see who has that is rotoworld and i wouldnt put it past him to just use their numbers.....
Old 02-20-2012   #8
leebigeztx
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28662 leebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respectedleebigeztx is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via MSN to leebigeztx

As I stated in the mario thread, gil brandt and pat kirwin both have told me with the 53 man roster, the texans have 112m committed to salaries of a 121m cap. That's a little lest than 9m. That's including mario and his 18m cap figure. They can knock his cap down to 12m and now they have 15m to do foster and myers. Foster can be a 8m and meyers 4m and texans still have 3m cap room before cutting scrubs like cody and and walters and create another 7m.
Old 02-20-2012   #9
AnthonyE 
Lurker

Section: 118 Row B
Rep Power: 2029 AnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respectedAnthonyE is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to AnthonyE

Quote:
Originally Posted by michaelm View Post
Sounds like this guy doesn't really know what he's talking about with regards to the comment about the team getting plundered.
There is WAY too much time between now and the time that teams must meet the salary cap.
There will be a lot of maneuvering between now and then, and it will be performed by men who know a whole lot more about the salary cap than this beat writer will ever know in his lifetime.
I personally think this guy needs to stick to covering the dolphins.
Old 02-20-2012   #10
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

But doesn't that go up once the contracts of our 2012 FA's are up or is this number taking that into account.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #11
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 13416 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post

Probably mad about his team being 0-6 or 0-7 against us.
Old 02-20-2012   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 43520 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by leebigeztx View Post
As I stated in the mario thread, gil brandt and pat kirwin both have told me with the 53 man roster, the texans have 112m committed to salaries of a 121m cap. That's a little lest than 9m. That's including mario and his 18m cap figure. They can knock his cap down to 12m and now they have 15m to do foster and myers. Foster can be a 8m and meyers 4m and texans still have 3m cap room before cutting scrubs like cody and and walters and create another 7m.
I like your post except for the Cody is a scrub part.

I thought Foster was still under contract through next year?

In any case if you put a gun to my head and made me choose between Mario and Foster I would take Mario. We lose a lot of depth if Mario is gone. If Foster leaves Tate starts and we pick up another UFA or late round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foster, I just think replacing Mario would be a bigger hill to climb.

TEXANRED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #13
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
I like your post except for the Cody is a scrub part.

I thought Foster was still under contract through next year?

In any case if you put a gun to my head and made me choose between Mario and Foster I would take Mario. We lose a lot of depth if Mario is gone. If Foster leaves Tate starts and we pick up another UFA or late round pick.

Don't get me wrong, I love Foster, I just think replacing Mario would be a bigger hill to climb.
Judging from this and your sig you are a long way from being sober my friend. We have plenty of OLB depth and will add some over the draft without Mario and I love Tate but he is not on Fosters level. He doesn't have the speed, vision, smooth running ability, or pass catching ability that Foster does.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #14
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel that if this 6.8 million number is correct that R.Smith can work some magic and get our FAs signed after all he was able last year to add 2 big FAs when our cap numbers seemed dim.
Old 02-20-2012   #15
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnthonyE View Post
Seriously. Look at this tweet:

Quote:
I find it hard to believe the New York Jets will be major players in free agency considering Rex Ryan's team are projected to have $2.3 million to work with in cap space in 2012. That means the pipe dream of Peyton Manning playing in New York with his brother would require a major roster purge.
I don't think I have read anything that says the Jets will sign Peyton in free agency alone. Everything regarding that has been about releasing Sanchez and his huge contract to free up room this year to sign Peyton. It's a swap, not a major roster purge. No source that I know of has said the Jets can afford much in free agency given their current roster. They moved so much money to this year after trying to Aso, that they have almost no wiggle room with the cap.
Old 02-20-2012   #16
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 87675 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

Seeing those figures leads me to believe that the Texans would have to be complete idiots if they resign Mario Williams after the season they just had without him.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #17
ThaShark316

Rep Power: 16683 ThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respectedThaShark316 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to ThaShark316

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Seeing those figures leads me to believe that the Texans would have to be complete idiots if they resign Mario Williams after the season they just had without him.
Even with how they could work everything out like leebigeztx said? Not sure I understand why they'd be idiots for working things like he stated....
Old 02-20-2012   #18
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post

Omar Kelly
Also In Football

Omar Kelly @OmarKelly
Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies under the new CBA. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012. We'll have 17 contracts coming off the books to ADD to that $6.8 million or whatever figure we are under the cap.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #19
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Bro we have 17 FAs and 12 roster spots to fill (5 were IR replacements). Do you honestly think we can sign Arian Foster and 11 other guys (let alone Mario Williams) with only $6.8 million? Keep in mind that we have to set about $5 million aside for our rookies. So let's say we draft about 7 rookies. That means $1.8 million for Foster and 4 other guys. IMPOSSIBLE. Free Agency does not start until March 13th, which is the beginning of the new league year. Therefore we have 17 contracts still on the books until then. I say this is good news and an indication that the $120.375 million cap from 2011 has increase for 2012.
We dont know what the plans are could be some cuts JJ Leinart for example. Restrutre some contracts. Let some FAs go we dont know the plan we have to wait and see.
Old 02-20-2012   #20
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Those 1-2 million figures were for 2011 space. That's before you remove expiring deals and dead money. Lots of estimates have been thrown around but subtracting Mario alone should add 18 million from that number. We should have a lot more than 6.8 million to work with in 2012.
I don't know. Why would people be "publishing" our 2011 cap number? They know the 2012 number is the important number. Right, or am I looking at something wrong?

It doesn't matter if Schaub, Antonio Smith, & Demeco had an $8M number in 2011, what's important is their contracts may escalate to $10M in 2012 (this is just an example, I have no idea what their number is for 2012.

Jjo, what's he going to make in 2012?

I can't imagine dropping Mario's $18M 2011 cap number, & still having 51 players on our roster that equate to $114M of cap room, leaving only $6.3M to work with.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read