Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 04-27-2005   #1
AlexVanderpool
Veteran

Default Richard Justice's comments on Chris Palmer on 610 This Morning

I dont know if this has been posted, but on the bench this morning justice commented that:

-at the end of the season, the powers that be (mcnair, cass, and capers?) sat Chris Palmer down and had a intervention-type meeting with him to do whatever it takes to drastically improve the blocking schemes in the offensive line. Justice later said that he heard palmer say off the record that he didnt feel like the blocking was bad last season and that Carr did not get sacked all that much.

If this is true, I really feel bad for Carr...
AlexVanderpool is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #2
TheOgre
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17 TheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVPTheOgre was voted MVP

Weird. I just posted in a thread on this very topic. I think Palmer is on the hot seat this season. If the offense doesn't improve drastically and Carr takes a pounding, I expect him gone.
TheOgre is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #3
barzilla
Veteran

The blocking was not that bad? I guess that was a figment of my imagination when I saw Carr running around against Indy twice and against Cleveland in particular.
barzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #4
Grid
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 2272 Grid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respectedGrid is a quality contributor and well respected

Ok... I dunno the context it was put in when palmer said it.. but yah.. if Carr gets manhandled again.. we will start a dang picket line at reliant to get Palmer fired heh.
Grid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #5
Dime
Hall of Fame

If CARR gets sacked 20+ times in 6 games OR he is hurt from someone sacking him, I think Palmer might be enjoying new job.
Dime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #6
F-minus67
Hall of Fame

Considering we basically had a rookie LT, the starting right side of the line had a ton of injuries and McKinney. Not to mention that they were all learning the zone blocking scheme.
Old 04-27-2005   #7
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14626 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Or how about the game against Minn when Carr to a good beating from a very poor defense.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 04-27-2005   #8
keyfro
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 14 keyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVPkeyfro was voted MVP
Send a message via AIM to keyfro

i'm sorry but when your QB is throwing a fit on the side lines because the lineman aren't giving him 3 seconds to throw the ball you have blocking problems...depending on who you ask there is two players that are at fault and those are mckinney and wand...i personally think our tackle depth is for **** if i was casserly i'd bring in like 5 OT's just add depth and competition at that position...not for the starters but for the back-ups...hodgden will hopefully take over the back-up center job from washington or one of the guards like brown, weary, or evans...unfortunatly we didn't get a tackle in the draft to develop
Old 04-27-2005   #9
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Very troubling if true- -hey Palmer, the 1st step to recovery is admitting the problem. (You too McKinney).
Old 04-27-2005   #10
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
-at the end of the season, the powers that be (mcnair, cass, and capers?) sat Chris Palmer down and had a intervention-type meeting with him to do whatever it takes to drastically improve the blocking schemes in the offensive line. Justice later said that he heard palmer say off the record that he didnt feel like the blocking was bad last season and that Carr did not get sacked all that much.
Maybe Capers should stick Palmer under center and then let's see how good he thinks the O line is...
Old 04-27-2005   #11
U4ikrob
Guitar Junky

Really like the last one - I agree - I bet if Palmer sat in the pocket 3 or 4 times and got sacked during a practice session - he might be prompted to do things a little better and faster to get the line up to serviceable shape for real games and put in alot more 3 and 5 step drops.

IMO - New scheme or not - those guys are paid good money to do one job for the most part - Protect the QB. They have failed miserably for 3 years now and DC is the guy paying for it. IT wont be long before one or the other breaks. DC cant keep dodging hard shots forever - IF they dont step up the protection a whole lot and make progress, eventually somebody is going to stick DC so hard he's going to be injured - and injured bad. Then the line will have nobody to blame anymore but the guy in the mirror.

Honestly I think they need to bring in every LT that wasnt drafted this past year and have them go thru drills and see if there isnt some bodies we can pick up for depth.
Old 04-27-2005   #12
SESupergenius

Can we deduce that since Palmer is stating that we have no problems with the offensive line, that this is the reason we hav not upgraded it? Our number one problem last year was protecting Carr, we still have not solved it IMHO. Shouldn't we expect more of the same this year? And trust me, you can go ahead an throw Pitts into this problem too, he's as much to blame as any of them.

Last edited by SESupergenius; 04-27-2005 at 05:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2005   #13
texan279
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 3367 texan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respectedtexan279 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Can we deduce that since Palmer is stating that we no problems with the offensive line that is the reason we havn't upgraded it? Our number one problem last year was protecting Carr, we still have not solved it IMHO. Shouldn't we expect more of the same this year? And trust me, you can go ahead an throw Pitts into this problem too, he's as much to blame as any of them.
But if McNair, Casserly, and Capers sat Palmer down and told him about the problems with the O line, they know that there is a problem and haven't done anything about it either...one would figure if those 3 realize there is a problem and Palmer is too blind to see it or just won't do anything about it, Capers or Cass should have done something about it already or give Palmer the boot...
Old 04-27-2005   #14
clandestin
Veteran

I'm wondering how Pendry fits into these conversations. If I recall correctly Pendry was brought in as the new OL coach to implement the zone-blocking scheme.
Old 04-27-2005   #15
Davis37
All Pro

Quote:
Originally Posted by texan279
But if McNair, Casserly, and Capers sat Palmer down and told him about the problems with the O line, they know that there is a problem and haven't done anything about it either...one would figure if those 3 realize there is a problem and Palmer is too blind to see it or just won't do anything about it, Capers or Cass should have done something about it already or give Palmer the boot...
I think that next offseason Palmer will be gone, maybe Vangio (sp?) too. I sure hope so.
Old 04-27-2005   #16
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 331336 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by SESupergenius
Can we deduce that since Palmer is stating that we no problems with the offensive line that is the reason we havn't upgraded it? Our number one problem last year was protecting Carr, we still have not solved it IMHO. Shouldn't we expect more of the same this year? And trust me, you can go ahead an throw Pitts into this problem too, he's as much to blame as any of them.
I'd say we can deduce from the off-season moves and the reported meeting with Palmer that Casserly, Capers and Pendry think the problem is not the players it is the line schemes & play selection called by Palmer. The big question would appear to me to be whether Palmer has been suggested he change the schemes (his head on the block if he doesn't change enough or there isn't enough improvement) or directed to change the schemes (someone else on the hot seat with McNair).
Old 04-27-2005   #17
HoustonHarley
Rookie

I don't know about most of you, but I haven't missed a home game yet and every game I can predict at least 85% of the play calls. I played ball for a number of years, but in no way am I a football genius. If I can predict that many calls, where does the problem lie?
HoustonHarley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #18
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 161784 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

I made a post about this situation over a month ago. The tweak is on.
Quote:
Hopefully we are changing our protection schemes. I hear we have a bit of internal differences of opinions within the coaching staff on how we call and use our protections. I think we will see a big difference this next year. Palmer doesn't have much of a choice but to tweak his protections imo.
http://www.houstontexans.com/fan_zon...7&page=1&pp=30

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2005   #19
SESupergenius

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak
I'd say we can deduce from the off-season moves....
You mean lack of off-season moves on the offensive side of the ball right?
Old 04-27-2005   #20
SheTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 29598 SheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedSheTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoustonHarley
I don't know about most of you, but I haven't missed a home game yet and every game I can predict at least 85% of the play calls. I played ball for a number of years, but in no way am I a football genius. If I can predict that many calls, where does the problem lie?
I've never played football in my life, obviously and I predicted 90% of the offensive calls last year. My daughter, who knows SQUAT about football, ask me why they did the same thing over and over again. I've watched football for over 50 years, but my daughter goes for the fun. If she noticed how crappy the play calling was, then I can assure you, if was pretty pitiful!!
SheTexan is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read