Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-19-2012   #1
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected
Default NFL Commissioner Goodell still has 18-game schedule in sights

Quote:
One of items brought to the negotiating table by NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell during the lockout negotiations last offseason was the implementation of a new 18-game, regular-season schedule.

Goodell hasn't give up on the idea of adding two more games to the schedule, though he said last week any changes are still a couple of seasons away.
http://www.nfl.com/news/story/09000d...headline_stack
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #2
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: NFL Commissioner Goodell still has 18-game schedule in sights

I see he has the health of the players in his wallet....um.....heart.

I say simply I would rather the schedule as it is as opposed to more games with more resrictive rule due to the grueling schedule.
Old 02-20-2012   #3
HJam72
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 52069 HJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respectedHJam72 is a quality contributor and well respected

We're gonna need 6 QBs.

HJam72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #4
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 150172 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by Showtime100 View Post
I see he has the health of the players in his wallet....um.....heart.

I say simply I would rather the schedule as it is as opposed to more games with more resrictive rule due to the grueling schedule.
I wish I wasn't paying full price for two pre-season games, then they jack up the price for play-off games.

If one of those preseason games were turned into a regular season game, it wouldn't be so hard to swallow.
Old 02-20-2012   #5
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't have a problem with this.

Take away a pre-season game or two, expand the active roster and practice squad...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #6
Fili
All Pro

Rep Power: 3890 Fili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respectedFili is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I wish I wasn't paying full price for two pre-season games, then they jack up the price for play-off games.

If one of those preseason games were turned into a regular season game, it wouldn't be so hard to swallow.
Agreed. If the game doesn't count towards making the playoffs or not then why should it be that price?
Fili is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #7
Texecutioner
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 72926 Texecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respectedTexecutioner is a quality contributor and well respected

I was in favor of this before to end pre season games, but I have changed my mind since then. To many records will get broken, and it's just to many games. Injuries are already such a huge part of the game and two more games is asking a lot.
Texecutioner is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-20-2012   #8
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

I really like the current regular season and playoff structure. I haven't ever felt that there was a worthy team that missed the playoffs. The best still rise to the top.

I don't like the number of preseason games, but there is a financial incentive for the owners to keep them. Unless of course you add two reg games or another round of playoffs. I don't want that to happen and i dont think the players will go for it, so I think we are stuck with it.
Old 02-21-2012   #9
edo783
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 4640 edo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respectededo783 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
I was in favor of this before to end pre season games, but I have changed my mind since then. To many records will get broken, and it's just to many games. Injuries are already such a huge part of the game and two more games is asking a lot.
TEX and I may not be in accord on everything, but on this we are. When the idea of an 18 game season first came up I was VERY excited about having more good games to watch. However, upon reflection and how this season in particular played out I don't see it as a good thing for just about everyone. The players though will take most of the beating and I suspect that their careers will be shortened due to the extra wear and tear on their bodies. Another issue will be the records. It is pretty obvious that the league has shifted to a passing type of game and with two extra games the passing stats will fall pretty easily. As a fan I would like to watch more games, but I think this isn't a particularly good idea.

De Oppresso Liber
edo783 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #10
Showtime100
Got AJ?

Rep Power: 93649 Showtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respectedShowtime100 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Agreed. If the game doesn't count towards making the playoffs or not then why should it be that price?
I didn't even think about the season ticket holder. Yikes.
Old 02-21-2012   #11
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm all in favor of an 18-game season. But that would also likely change the playoff format to eight teams per conference and not six. Basically adding a total of four more playoff teams.
Old 02-21-2012   #12
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 155499 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

I was against the 18 game schedule when I first heard about it, and I still am. It's a horrible idea.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #13
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by edo783 View Post
TEX and I may not be in accord on everything, but on this we are. When the idea of an 18 game season first came up I was VERY excited about having more good games to watch. However, upon reflection and how this season in particular played out I don't see it as a good thing for just about everyone. The players though will take most of the beating and I suspect that their careers will be shortened due to the extra wear and tear on their bodies. Another issue will be the records. It is pretty obvious that the league has shifted to a passing type of game and with two extra games the passing stats will fall pretty easily. As a fan I would like to watch more games, but I think this isn't a particularly good idea.
I dont care about any of this. (Injuries/Records etc...)

What I do care about is having to pay full price for 4 fake games.

Give me more real football vs fake football
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #14
disaacks3
Site Contributor

Section: 116 - Row M
Rep Power: 78404 disaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respecteddisaacks3 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Yep, and it's not like you could even sell them for face value.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fili View Post
Agreed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texecutioner View Post
Same things were said when they went up from 14 games. It'll force coaches to adjust who to rest and when even more than they do now...which isn't altogether a bad thing.
Old 02-21-2012   #15
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I like the 18 game schedule because I think they'd have to make more jobs available...

More work for everyone involved from players to people who work at the stadiums...Also, I have been wanting the NFL to expand it's rosters and practice squads for a while now...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #16
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I like the 18 game schedule because I think they'd have to make more jobs available...

More work for everyone involved from players to people who work at the stadiums...Also, I have been wanting the NFL to expand it's rosters and practice squads for a while now...
Ditto. Expanding rosters would also give specialist guys more of a chance to stick with a team and reduce the number of dual-role guys. It would also get starters out of special teams roles and reduce their chance of injury. I think it would improve the quality of the game overall. They also need to revamp the IR and PUP system so there is an MLB DL type of situation.

I think we may hear talks of roster expansions next year when the cap is set to increase. If the cap expands by 40% as some estimate, there will be ample room for teams to add a 3-5 more active roster guys. It would also help teams meet the 90% minimum cap floor. Adding 5 more spots to the 53man roster would add about 2 million to each team's cap, but if it goes up by 40 million or more, then that's peanuts to a GM.
Old 02-21-2012   #17
JPPT1974
Easter Bunnies

Rep Power: 864 JPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respectedJPPT1974 is a quality contributor and well respected

Well Goodell I liked at first. But now he is trying to ruin the NFL, by taking away the Pro Bowl. Along with an 18-game season. He will have to go with two bye weeks for the thirty two teams if he gets his wish.
Old 02-26-2012   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50776 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't like it before. Don't like it now.

Over an 8-year span, a player will have played an entire extra season.

Preseason games are good for evaluation and bringing players up to speed. 16 reg season games is a juuuust riiiight fit, IMO. I don't like expanded playoffs, let's not become the NBA and make earning a playoff spot a joke.
Old 02-26-2012   #19
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 67576 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

so if he went to 2 extra games, what would that mean? #1 seed in your division would play 2 other #1's from other divisions?

the fan in me imediately say's "DO IT"
however with what we saw this year with injuries, I have to so "nope, 16 in enough"
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read