Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft The future stars of the NFL

Old 02-18-2012   #1
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected
Default WR in the draft

There is not alot of good ones i was watchin espn and most of the first 6 wr in the depth chart are all big. Body WR that lack speed

And i thought wE were lookin for a speedy wr since andre is more of a route runner wr
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #2
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: WR in the draft

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
There is not alot of good ones i was watchin espn and most of the first 6 wr in the depth chart are all big. Body WR that lack speed

And i thought wE were lookin for a speedy wr since andre is more of a route runner wr
There a some elite WRs but only 3 in first and one that could be there. Blackmon, Wright and Floyd are the cream and all could be gone by 26. You don't have to be 6'3" to succeed as Blackmon will show. I am concerned we will select one that could become another Jacoby. Plenty of potential though all the way to 4th round.
Old 02-18-2012   #3
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

There's speedy WR's

K/J Wright
Adams
Randle
T.J. Graham
steelbtexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #4
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 5981 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

wright is who i want

as you can tell from my mock

http://www.texanstalk.com/forums/sho...29#post1902329

THREAD HIGH-JACKED
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #5
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 86073 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by steelbtexan View Post
There's speedy WR's

K/J Wright
Adams
Randle
T.J. Graham
Jordan WHite could run a pretty good 40 at combine.
Old 02-18-2012   #6
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 56437 steelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respectedsteelbtexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Jordan WHite could run a pretty good 40 at combine.
I really want to see White in a Texans uni.

He is going to be a productive 10 yr pro. If his repaired ACL's hold out.
Old 02-18-2012   #7
Ryan
THIS YEAR

Section: Section 135, Row F
Rep Power: 11679 Ryan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respectedRyan is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to Ryan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post

We just need a good WR. Does not matter what type. We don't really bomb it down field enough to need a legitimate "deep threat". Jacoby has been classified as one of those guys and look how far that's gotten him.
Old 02-18-2012   #8
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
I really want to see White in a Texans uni.

He is going to be a productive 10 yr pro. If his repaired ACL's hold out.
Agreed. If we got him & no other WR I'd be ok but it may be a year or two before he starts. He and Wright will be two great receivers and if we got both like I mock, I will be excited.

Wright, Zeitler, Chapman, White
Old 02-19-2012   #9
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

That would be a great draft if White and Chapmans ACL's hold out.
Old 02-19-2012   #10
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57147 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected

They will go BPA with #26, and that damn sure isn't gonna be a WR. WRs are reaches enough as it is without taking a "prospect" late in the first.
Old 02-19-2012   #11
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Norg, let's keep draft talk in this forum until these guys are actually drafted to the team.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
They will go BPA with #26, and that damn sure isn't gonna be a WR. WRs are reaches enough as it is without taking a "prospect" late in the first.
BPA is a myth. Teams draft for need, be it immediate or a year down the road. Or they may draft a guy high to replace someone who has an expiring or expensive contract. It's rare that a team just drafts a player high regardless of roster holes.

Having said that, we don't really know where the holes on the roster will be. Free agency occurs prior to the draft, and whom the Texans lose/gain will have an impact. WR may be the biggest need. Or guard. Or CB. And it's very possible that the Texans 1st round pick isn't an immediate starter. When's the last time that happened? 2005 with Travis Johnson is the only time a Texans 1st round pick wasn't a opening day starter.

Actually, I think the team needs two WRs out of this draft. A big, WCO type receiver that can run the slants and curls, and be a red zone target. And a speedy slot WR, who can double as a returner. The draft is deep in WCO type WRs, so 2nd round would make sense. A slot guy could be found in the 4th or 5th.
Old 02-19-2012   #12
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Randle may wind up being the guy. Not a big fan of LSU WR's because they're really under developed in that system & have to learn a team, like the Texans, route tree from scratch, but dude is both big & fast. If he has an impressive Combine, don't be surprised if you here the Texans bring him in for a private workout to evaluate his raw skills/technique, adaptability & intelligence.

Quote:
MIKE MAYOCK: I think Reuben Randle is going to run. I don't think there is a question about what he's going to run. I think he's going to run well. When I say a big bodied wide receiver he's listed at 6'4", 209, I believe. I think he's going to run just fine. I've got a first round grade on him.
I have Blackmon, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, and Reuben Randle with first round grades. I think they're the four wideouts that should go in the first round.
From my perspective, Randle should go in the second half of the first round, somewhere in that 20 to 30 range. If he comes into the combine and runs 4.38 at 208 pounds, that might change some things. He might go higher. But he's extremely well thought of. He's a guy that could fit for the 49ers depending on how this process plays out.

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #13
Lucky

Rep Power: 99011 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Randle was hurt by the LSU QB situation, to some extent. Just as Jeffery was at South Carolina. What I don't like about Randle is that he seldom extends his arms to catch the ball, allowing the pass to come into his body. But, he does have excellent RAC ability. And the Texans need some of that. Jeffery is the more natural WR, but may have too much football character concerns for the Texans. I don't know if the Texans are going WR in the 1st. Toon, McNutt, Criner, and Quick could be good fits in the 2nd round.
Old 02-19-2012   #14
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Yeah, I think anything other than Randle at 26 is a dangerous reach.

Mayock talking a lot about big guys who cannot get separation in this WR class. No burst is no draft, in my book.
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #15
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
Says Jerry Rice at # 18,Nicks,Wayne,Bowe etc....

Yeah those late 1st Wr's never work out.
Old 02-19-2012   #16
beerlover
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 39326 beerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respectedbeerlover is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Yeah, I think anything other than Randle at 26 is a dangerous reach.

Mayock talking a lot about big guys who cannot get separation in this WR class. No burst is no draft, in my book.
Philosophically I agree with you but Draft Day Dynamics often create complexities unfathomable. Thus reaching on a player of need (who may be a target to several other teams as well) enhances or inflate his draft grade. Its all about projecting the best fit for each situation (which is where I think the Texans are right now going into the combine) can they coach up a raw talent if the measurable's are there? Then catching him up to speed throughout camps, how quickly can he absorb the playbook? is it something completely new or has he ran something similar to it in College (may give Jefferies an edge) also meet clubhouse expectations both on & off the field. The more successful in these areas, he bigger part he becomes in weekly game day planning. It's a hot market for WR's just ask the Patriots - http://www.profootballweekly.com/201...n-drafting-wrs

2012 Draft was Mercilus
beerlover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #17
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 172585 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Says Jerry Rice at # 18,Nicks,Wayne,Bowe etc....

Yeah those late 1st Wr's never work out.
Who said Rice/Nicks/Wayne/Bowe couldn't get separation coming out of college? There's a difference between quick, burst, and speed. Mayock says Jeffrey/Sanu struggle to get off the line in press ..... in college.

Torry Holt: "You have to be able to beat press coverage in the NFL. Then you learn how to beat double coverage."

No sense reaching in the first when you can get a DT -- strong draft -- and come back with one of a group of big WRs in the second. I think we need OL/DB help, too. Lets see how they come out of the combine.
Old 02-19-2012   #18
steelbtexan
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Playoffs View Post
Who said Rice/Nicks/Wayne/Bowe couldn't get separation coming out of college? There's a difference between quick, burst, and speed. Mayock says Jeffrey/Sanu struggle to get off the line in press ..... in college.

Torry Holt: "You have to be able to beat press coverage in the NFL. Then you learn how to beat double coverage."

No sense reaching in the first when you can get a DT -- strong draft -- and come back with one of a group of big WRs in the second. I think we need OL/DB help, too. Lets see how they come out of the combine.
I was responding to Marcus post about late 1st rd WR busts and just proving not all late 1st WR's bust. Hopefully Jefferys runs a 4.5 at the combine. That would help push Randle down to 26.

I wasn't disagreeing with you about the need to be able to beat press coverage. Or the need for a DT/OL/DB help.
Old 02-19-2012   #19
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
I was responding to Marcus post about late 1st rd WR busts and just proving not all late 1st WR's bust. Hopefully Jefferys runs a 4.5 at the combine. That would help push Randle down to 26.

I wasn't disagreeing with you about the need to be able to beat press coverage. Or the need for a DT/OL/DB help.
My bad, sorry.
Old 02-19-2012   #20
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryan View Post
We just need a good WR. Does not matter what type. We don't really bomb it down field enough to need a legitimate "deep threat". Jacoby has been classified as one of those guys and look how far that's gotten him.
I think we throw the ball down field quite a bit actually...We aren't the Al Davis Raiders, but we stretch the field plenty...

But besides that, I'd like to see a WR that can consistently catch short/medium passes with good hands and the ability to get some decent YAC...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > College Football & the 2014 NFL Draft
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read