Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 03-06-2012   #101
The1ApplePie
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 79098 The1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respectedThe1ApplePie is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demeco's contract and Mario Williams...

Demeco may be be going through Jon Vilma syndrome.

Badass 4-3 MLB, mediocre 3-4 ILB
The1ApplePie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #102
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Demeco looked fine once he started to get past his rehab time. He wasn't 100% early on...I donno why so many fans can't digest this.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #103
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 98407 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The1ApplePie View Post
Demeco may be be going through Jon Vilma syndrome.

Badass 4-3 MLB, mediocre 3-4 ILB
This is hogwash. D-Ryans was playing great the latter part of the season. Heck, I think he was about as productive as Cushing against the run the last 5-6 games. He's a thumper!
Old 03-06-2012   #104
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 99691 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
Demeco looked fine once he started to get past his rehab time. He wasn't 100% early on...I donno why so many fans can't digest this.
Apparently no one saw that cumbersome brace on his elbow.
Old 03-06-2012   #105
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

I can't digest it because I didn't see it. He had one good game against Carolina (8 tackles). Other than that he broke 6 tackles once, though that was against Baltimore in the playoffs but only 7.

This is coming from someone who has worn a DeMeco jersey since he was named starter. But he had 11 weeks with 4 tackles or less. That's awful for a linebacker. How awful? With 64 combined (tackles + assists) he was #72 last year.

And here it is by week:

I'd almost buy the better late in the year but he still went 5 and 4 in week 16 and vs Cinci in the playoffs. (I'm guessing he didn't play much against Tennessee.)

Anyway, point being, 6m for that little production is a problem. Ray Lewis is supposed to be washed up and got 95. Bart Scott is getting cut and had more tackles and 4.5 sacks.

I'd love him to be better, but we were skeptical of performance after an achilles injury. I have no problem with a restructure.
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #106
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 133798 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

this is more of a gap control defense. Ryans used to be in a defense that absorbed all the blockers and let him run free to shoot gaps and make tackles all over the field. linebackers have more of a gap to control in this defense and players are asked to trust that the others are manning their gaps. I think the tackles are more evenly spread around in Wade's defense. To me, I saw flashes of the player I think he's capable of being at the end of the year....I'm not too worried about him.

Old 03-06-2012   #107
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
He did look much more fluid later in the season .... Started to look like himself before the injury ....

"His" play isnt the problem , its the fact that he's only on the field ~40% of the defensive snaps .... Because Cushing is a badmofo and .... Demeco isnt going to displace him as a pass rusher or in coverage when in nickle & dime packages meaning he's not going to increase that ~40% snap percentage.

A cap hit of roughly $8.5m is just too steep a price to pay for a guy who see's less than half the snaps.

This is less about Demeco and more about the guy's around him and the scheme.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 03-06-2012   #108
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
He did look much more fluid later in the season .... Started to look like himself before the injury ....

"His" play isnt the problem , its the fact that he's only on the field ~40% of the defensive snaps .... Because Cushing is a badmofo and .... Demeco isnt going to displace him as a pass rusher or in coverage when in nickle & dime packages meaning he's not going to increase that ~40% snap percentage.

A cap hit of roughly $8.5m is just too steep a price to pay for a guy who see's less than half the snaps.

This is less about Demeco and more about the guy's around him and the scheme.
Brian Urlacher plays the same role with the Bears now...he was a Pro Bowler last season. His tough play vs the run and forcing the offense into passing situations is seen as a plus (causing him to come off the field). Here it seems to be seen as a liability.

Old 03-06-2012   #109
noxiousdog
All Pro

Rep Power: 6013 noxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respectednoxiousdog is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brian Urlacher plays the same role with the Bears now...he was a Pro Bowler last season. His tough play vs the run and forcing the offense into passing situations is seen as a plus (causing him to come off the field). Here it seems to be seen as a liability.
If demeco had 100 tackles playing 40% of the snaps I wouldn't consider his salary to be a liability.

Sent from my Kindle Fire using Tapatalk
noxiousdog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #110
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Brian Urlacher had 100 tackles, 7 PD, 3 INTS,

Demeco had 60 tackles, 3 PD, 0 INTS

While they may be playing similar roles as 1st and 2nd down run stuffing LB's, Urlacher was clearly more productive.

Maybe Demeco is better this upcoming year, but I don't think he will approach what Urlacher did.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #111
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Brian Urlacher had 100 tackles, 7 PD, 3 INTS,

Demeco had 60 tackles, 3 PD, 0 INTS

While they may be playing similar roles as 1st and 2nd down run stuffing LB's, Urlacher was clearly more productive.

Maybe Demeco is better this upcoming year, but I don't think he will approach what Urlacher did.
Don't remember Urlacher recovering from arm injury?
Old 03-06-2012   #112
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Don't remember Urlacher recovering from arm injury?
If I'm not mistaken CnD has posted information regarding Demeco's Achilles injury and if I remember correctly it said that the 1st year back from injury the player normally has their best performance. It then goes down hill from that.

I think the Elbow affected him some, but the long term affects on his achilles is what I'd be worried about.
Old 03-06-2012   #113
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 272958 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
If I'm not mistaken CnD has posted information regarding Demeco's Achilles injury and if I remember correctly it said that the 1st year back from injury the player normally has their best performance. It then goes down hill from that.

I think the Elbow affected him some, but the long term affects on his achilles is what I'd be worried about.
That was on Schaub's lisfranc injury I believe.

DeMeco's elbow injury clearly was the bigger issue last season especially as the season went on. His sideline to sideline movement looked excellent at the end of the season but he still could barely move his arm..
Old 03-06-2012   #114
Rey
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
That was on Schaub's lisfranc injury I believe.

DeMeco's elbow injury clearly was the bigger issue last season especially as the season went on. His sideline to sideline movement looked excellent at the end of the season but he still could barely move his arm..
Entirely possible that I have the two confused...
Old 03-06-2012   #115
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 171454 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I dont see Demeco's play as a liability at all .... Just attempting to rationalize the situation surrounding his contract. Its like other people who say Cody should be replaced .... but wait , this was the #4 run defense in the NFL , and played even better in the playoffs , Cody and Demeco Ryans are a huge part of that success.

If the Texans werent up against the cap I dont think we're having this conversation. Ryans is just the most obvious contract to free up money for immediate use to retain other FA's.

Hope is a poor mans disease.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2012   #116
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
It's the money. They can't get past the money.
Old 03-06-2012   #117
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Apparently no one saw that cumbersome brace on his elbow.
Elbow Brace? All I saw was a battering ram...
Old 03-06-2012   #118
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 194858 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
We'll be playing better offenses in 2012. Probably won't be in as many definite passing situations... 3rd & long... 2nd & long. Probably won't be bringing in that safety in Nickle situations. He'll be on the field for more snaps.
Old 03-06-2012   #119
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:

If the Texans werent up against the cap I dont think we're having this conversation. Ryans is just the most obvious contract to free up money for immediate use to retain other FA's.
Agreed. Still may not be a problem, if he's being asked to restructure. If we're changing his $6M salary into a signing bonus, dropping his salary to $1M or $2M, giving him a $4M cap instead of an $8M cap.... it's all good.
Old 03-06-2012   #120
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 36901 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Demeco is not the problem, his salary is, the people defending him are seeing the players and plays with their red tinted glasses on. I LOVE Ryans, BUT I would make him take a 50% pay decrease to stay here. He does not WARRANT that contract. Brian Urlacher EARNED his money over YEARS of that high production, ryans has not. AND Urlacher actually earned his paycheck last season. I love Demeco but he has to take a pay cut, its just business

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read