Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-18-2012   #61
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54086 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: Demeco's contract and Mario Williams...

Keep Demeco over Mario.
Old 02-18-2012   #62
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Give Demeco next year to prove himself, he has certainly earned that much. Plus, there's no sense in cutting him now given his contract. If he plays terribly next year, then there will be reason to discuss his future, but otherwise we don't really have a fully recovered season of performance to use to gauge his ability. I believe he will bounce back, but if he doesn't there will be a tough decision to make next year.
Old 02-18-2012   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Why wouldn't Demeco want to restructure? He gets the same money, maybe more & added protection against getting cut.

He's due what, $7M next year? plus a $1M portion of his signing bonus? Making his cap hit $8M.

Turn his 2012 salary into a signing bonus, dividing it among the remaining time on his contract.... 4 years (??) His cap could be as low as $2M for 2012
Old 02-19-2012   #64
Lucky

Rep Power: 218553 Lucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respectedLucky is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why wouldn't Demeco want to restructure?
Ryans restructured his contract last year. I don't see how that would benefit him or the Texans this year. I haven't even seen what the terms are after the restructure, but it's not on Rotoworld. Seriously, talk of cutting Ryans this year is a joke.
Old 02-19-2012   #65
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Seriously, talk of cutting Ryans this year is a joke.
True...
Old 02-19-2012   #66
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Both DeMeco and Mario will be Texans next year.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #67
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky View Post
Ryans restructured his contract last year. I don't see how that would benefit him or the Texans this year. I haven't even seen what the terms are after the restructure, but it's not on Rotoworld. Seriously, talk of cutting Ryans this year is a joke.
No way he's cut .... But his caphit being north of $8m is unacceptable in the Texans current situation and for his contribution on the field.

He's only in the base package while Cushing is the only every down LB. Any time the Texans are in nickle or dime coverage Demeco's on the sidelines. I believe I saw a stat showing they were in their base defense less than 40% of the time last season .... which means Demeco got less than 40% of the snaps. Thats a hefty price to pay for a 1 or 2 down LB.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Corrosion is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-19-2012   #68
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post
No way he's cut .... But his caphit being north of $8m is unacceptable in the Texans current situation and for his contribution on the field.

He's only in the base package while Cushing is the only every down LB. Any time the Texans are in nickle or dime coverage Demeco's on the sidelines. I believe I saw a stat showing they were in their base defense less than 40% of the time last season .... which means Demeco got less than 40% of the snaps. Thats a hefty price to pay for a 1 or 2 down LB.
That's 2011.... we don't know how often he'll be on the field in 2012.

He was coming off a severe Achilles, then he had that elbow thing.

Late in the season, he was playing some football, with a capital BADMOFO. I'm sure we'll see him on the field more in 2012 than in 2011.

You put your best players on the field, who would you rather have out there, a healthy Demeco or Nolan.... or Demps?
Old 02-19-2012   #69
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

Late in the season, he was playing some football, with a capital BADMOFO. I'm sure we'll see him on the field more in 2012 than in 2011.

You put your best players on the field, who would you rather have out there, a healthy Demeco or Nolan.... or Demps?
With a full offseason conditioning program, wouldn't you think he'd be better than last year? The achille's issue is the biggest question mark, by far.
Old 02-19-2012   #70
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 222742 Corrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respectedCorrosion is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

He did make significant improvement twards the end of the year .... but He's not going to replace a safety in coverage. Thats definately not one of his strong points.

Down and distance greatly affect how much he sees the field .... hard to justify the price tag IMO.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-19-2012   #71
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 86297 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
With a full offseason conditioning program, wouldn't you think he'd be better than last year? The achille's issue is the biggest question mark, by far.
Demeco has never been particularly strong in coverage. He's also not nearly the blitzer that Cushing is. Therefore, he's the first linebacker off the field when the team goes nickel and dime.
Old 02-19-2012   #72
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Demeco has never been particularly strong in coverage. He's also not nearly the blitzer that Cushing is. Therefore, he's the first linebacker off the field when the team goes nickel and dime.
I think with a healthy Demeco, we'll see less Dime coverage. Cody/Mitchell will come off the field, we'll bring in an extra defensive back.... McClain for our Nickel; Demeco stays on the field.
Old 02-19-2012   #73
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
I think with a healthy Demeco, we'll see less Dime coverage. Cody/Mitchell will come off the field, we'll bring in an extra defensive back.... McClain for our Nickel; Demeco stays on the field.
Much of that is dictated by down and distance as well as opponents personel packages .... I could see leaving Ryans on the field when his responsibility is a TE but not if he's covering a WR.

Thats a lot of the reason the Texans defense was much more successful Vs the pass this season - Having that extra DB instead of a LB .... We often saw Ryans and other LB's in coverage linprevious seasons , the majority of the time this past season we had a DB instead .... accept for those first down and short to mediou yardage situations.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-19-2012   #74
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Corrosion View Post

I remember a couple games last year where Demeco barely played...I think some of that was due to his early injury struggles, but I think it also had something to do with him just not being in on the packages like you mention...

He is a beast of a second LB, but you are right that is a hefty price tag...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #75
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 107641 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

The point of this thread is MW's value vs. Ryans value. Lets not lose sight of that. IMO, it's obvious, from many years of observation, that the D will miss Ryans much more than MW. See also 2010vs2011 rankings.
Old 02-19-2012   #76
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
The point of this thread is MW's value vs. Ryans value. Lets not lose sight of that. IMO, it's obvious, from many years of observation, that the D will miss Ryans much more than MW. See also 2010vs2011 rankings.
I think 2010 vs. 2011, in terms of evaluating 'Meco's presence in 2011 and his absence in 2010...that's a hard sell for this argument. The defense as a whole, in 2010, was atrocious. The coaching was abysmal, the whole scheme and its weekly FUBAR self makes it difficult to say "When 'Meco was in, we were decent, and when he was out we were awful." Just my two cents on it, since I have seen other posters mention this earlier in the convo.

'Meco looked pretty JAG in his first game or two, maybe three, of 2011. But as the elbow got better, so did 'Meco. He grew stronger and was more of a presence as 2011 wore on.

I'd like to keep him if it's possible. Back when him and OD were clamoring for re-worked contracts a few seasons ago, I was fine with the Texans telling them "No" and waiting to let their contracts expire. IIRC, the Texans re-worked those two contracts, which speaks to their good will towards two "lunch pail" guys who were here in the lean years and gave it their all no matter what.

I think you have to try to give 'Meco the chance to stay but with a clear-cut understanding of what he can be REASONABLY paid, considering his injury history and the contracts we're having to pony up BIG money toward.
Old 02-19-2012   #77
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Seems like people are remembering things how they want to...

The Defense was bad even before Demeco got hurt that year...In fact, many people were already talking about how Demeco looked like he lost a step BEFORE his injury.

I, myself, speculated that Demeco had probably gained too much weight...I don't know if that is the reason he hurt his achilles in space but I do think it had something to do with him not looking as quick as he did in previous seasons.

I don't think the Texans will cut Demeco to sign Mario...In fact that was Barry Warner that suggested that the Texans may look into that as a possiblity if he is not willing to restructure again.

I don't understand the cap stuff, but I understand a player making too much money for the good of the team. I think that Demeco may be approaching that area considering all the facts...With or without Mario his contract may become an issue...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #78
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I remember a couple games last year where Demeco barely played...I think some of that was due to his early injury struggles, but I think it also had something to do with him just not being in on the packages like you mention...

He is a beast of a second LB, but you are right that is a hefty price tag...
Yeah I recall onegame , I forget which .... people were complaining that he didnt show up in the stat sheet.... That was because he was on the field for Eight Snaps (8) mainly due to down and distance .... Cant tackle when youare on the sidelines.

Prior to the drafting of Cushing .... I think Demeco would have remained on the field much more but Cushing is a much better pass rusher and probably covers backs better which gives him the nod in those passing situations.

We're not in aneither or situation .... but I think they almost have to rework Ryans deal. $8.5m is just too steep a price to pay for a 1-2 down player.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
Seems like people are remembering things how they want to...

The Defense was bad even before Demeco got hurt that year...In fact, many people were already talking about how Demeco looked like he lost a step BEFORE his injury.
If you look at the game that Demeco got hurt in against the Chiefs .... They allowed 7.5 ypc inthe second half as opposed to ~5ish in the first half. (from memory) That defense was poor to start with , but taking Demeco away from it just made it that much worse.

Quote:
You can never have enough pass rushers .....

Im by no means knocking Ryans .... but I believe a high quality pass rusher is the more important player over a 1-2 down ILB , unless that LB is Ray Lewis in his prime good.

Take a look at the Giants two superbowl runs - both fueled by their pass rush ... and they have three guy's who contribute routinely to that end in Pierre-Paul , Tuck and Umenyiora.

I Miss Good Schaub.
Old 02-20-2012   #79
TheMatrix31
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 82030 TheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respectedTheMatrix31 is a quality contributor and well respected

Demeco is the glue of this defense. Abso****inglutely not.
TheMatrix31 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2012   #80
Corrosion
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheMatrix31 View Post
Demeco is the glue of this defense. Abso****inglutely not.
No to a restructure of a guy who is on the field ... lets call it 33% of the time ?

...... Nope.

I Miss Good Schaub.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read