Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2012   #41
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Demeco's contract and Mario Williams...

So you guys are not worried about Ryans playing ability as long as he can hold pom poms?
[IMG][/IMG]

The better teams such as PIT get rid of players on the down slope to keep the team on top. 8.5 mil towards the cap is crazy money for a under performing ILB on a 34 defense. The OLB in the 34 are normally the higher paid players.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #42
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

I don't. Believe this is a Mario or Demeco deal any more than I believe this is a Mario or Foster deal.

However, if I had to choose, I'd choose Mario. Which one is going to command the biggest interest in Free Agency? Which one is going to be more difficult to replace?

I know a lot of people think we've already replaced Mario, I just don't see it that way.
Old 02-17-2012   #43
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by srrono View Post
So you guys are not worried about Ryans playing ability as long as he can hold pom poms?
[IMG][/IMG]

The better teams such as PIT get rid of players on the down slope to keep the team on top. 8.5 mil towards the cap is crazy money for a under performing ILB on a 34 defense. The OLB in the 34 are normally the higher paid players.
Who says Ryans is on the downslope of his career? He damned sure didn't look like it in the last 6-7 weeks. He looked like a player recovering from 2 serious injuries. The achilles injury is definitely the biggest, but do you really expect tackling machine from a guy with a brace the size of a smart car on his elbow? I say Ryans did pretty damned well in '11.
DocBar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #44
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 263559 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocBar View Post
Who says Ryans is on the downslope of his career? He damned sure didn't look like it in the last 6-7 weeks. He looked like a player recovering from 2 serious injuries. The achilles injury is definitely the biggest, but do you really expect tackling machine from a guy with a brace the size of a smart car on his elbow? I say Ryans did pretty damned well in '11.
I agree, adding a healthy Demeco & Mario is going to be like adding two dynamic free agents to our front seven. I'm very excited to see this defense next year.

We're going to blow the top off the league next year.
Old 02-17-2012   #45
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I agree, adding a healthy Demeco & Mario is going to be like adding two dynamic free agents to our front seven. I'm very excited to see this defense next year.

We're going to blow the top off the league next year.
IF he can be the Ryans of old I still think his contract should be reconstructed 8.5mil for ILB in 34 is way overpaid. MLB in a 43 gets 8.5mil as a pro bowl MLB, but HOU is no longer a 43. That cap number needs to come down.
Old 02-17-2012   #46
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
IF he can be the Ryans of old I still think his contract should be reconstructed 8.5mil for ILB in 34 is way overpaid. MLB in a 43 gets 8.5mil as a pro bowl MLB, but HOU is no longer a 43. That cap number needs to come down.
As was stated a few posts ago, Mr. McNair told Ryans he would take care of him & did. He is overpaying some for Demeco over performing his first contract. Kind of employer most of us want. Then Demeo was injured so you have to understand the parameters of the situation. I wonder how you'd talk if the same things were happening to you. If you over performed & boss volunteered to make it up but you were then hurt, I doubt you'd give back a nickle. Does Demeco appear on the surface to be overpaid for 2011? Yes, but due to a correction of first deal and being hurt.
Old 02-17-2012   #47
srrono
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
As was stated a few posts ago, Mr. McNair told Ryans he would take care of him & did. He is overpaying some for Demeco over performing his first contract. Kind of employer most of us want. Then Demeo was injured so you have to understand the parameters of the situation. I wonder how you'd talk if the same things were happening to you. If you over performed & boss volunteered to make it up but you were then hurt, I doubt you'd give back a nickle. Does Demeco appear on the surface to be overpaid for 2011? Yes, but due to a correction of first deal and being hurt.
this is the NFL not burger king. NFL = Not For Long if under performing.
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2012   #48
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
That is what I've been saying. Demeco did not under perform for the situation.
Old 02-17-2012   #49
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 237388 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
DeMeco was third on the team in tackles with 68. Second in tackles for loss with 6. He had 4 passes defensed - third among our LBs. He was a key piece of a defense that was in the top ten for most of the year. All this while battling back from a season-ending injury, learning a new defense and being taken off the field on 3rd & long.

So please... tell me what metrics you're using to justify this "he underperformed" assessment.... or alternatively, point out which ILB, currently on our roster, would have performed better?
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #50
infantrycak
Lead Moderator

Rep Power: 356973 infantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respectedinfantrycak is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ObsiWan View Post
DeMeco was third on the team in tackles with 68. Second in tackles for loss with 6. He had 4 passes defensed - third among our LBs. He was a key piece of a defense that was in the top ten for most of the year. All this while battling back from a season-ending injury, learning a new defense and being taken off the field on 3rd & long.

So please... tell me what metrics you're using to justify this "he underperformed" assessment.... or alternatively, point out which ILB, currently on our roster, would have performed better?
Plus he is the intellectual and emotional leader of the D. He both fires them up but then cools down those like Cushing and Smith when they need it just before getting them into exactly the right place for Wade's scheme. I know all this can't be seen through a TV but folks seriously if you watch DeMeco from the sidelines he is not overpaid.
Old 02-18-2012   #51
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 63855 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by infantrycak View Post
Plus he is the intellectual and emotional leader of the D. He both fires them up but then cools down those like Cushing and Smith when they need it just before getting them into exactly the right place for Wade's scheme. I know all this can't be seen through a TV but folks seriously if you watch DeMeco from the sidelines he is not overpaid.
Beyond that, I'm pretty sure Demeco received a healthy signing bonus. If so, cutting him would cost a great deal on this year's cap number. So, that makes no sense nor does that fact put the team in a position of power to force him to restructure.
Old 02-18-2012   #52
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
Beyond that, I'm pretty sure Demeco received a healthy signing bonus. If so, cutting him would cost a great deal on this year's cap number. So, that makes no sense nor does that fact put the team in a position of power to force him to restructure.
Quote:
RotoWorld
3/30/2010: Signed a six-year, $48 million contract. The deal contains $21.75 million guaranteed, including a $7.5 million signing bonus. Another $600,000 is available through incentives based on Pro Bowl appearances in the first three years. 2011: $5.8 million, 2012: $5.9 million, 2013: $6.6 million, 2014-2015: $6.8 million, 2016: Free Agent
With a $1.5M pro rated bonus his 2012 cap number should be $7.4M if we cut him it would leave $6.0M to be accounted for...... but if that $21.75 is fully guaranteed, we're looking at $8.4M left on the books. Yeah, not really a saving a lot, if any at all.

But, Demeco is a Texans, they can convert this years salary to a signing bonus, lowering his cap number to $2M (or so) saving $5M if they need to.

Demeco gets paid just like he normally would, it's no different to him, other than his cap number will go up for the remainder of the contract (2013-2016) possibly increasing the likely hood of being a cap casualty later on. But since the cap will go up in 2013....
Old 02-18-2012   #53
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

I feel like DeMeco is our Ray Lewis. Maybe not as good but he is our leader on this team and in the late in the season he was playing very well. I'd let go of Mario, Jacoby, and Walter before I let go of him.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #54
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Daryl Sharpton playing pretty well (until he got hurt) is an ignored part of this discussion. I don't think cutting Demeco would be sound if it's not going to save us a lot of cap money, although it will be interesting to see if Sharpton can keep getting meaningful snaps in 2012 like he was doing in 2011.
Old 02-18-2012   #55
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Daryl Sharpton playing pretty well (until he got hurt) is an ignored part of this discussion. I don't think cutting Demeco would be sound if it's not going to save us a lot of cap money, although it will be interesting to see if Sharpton can keep getting meaningful snaps in 2012 like he was doing in 2011.
How good is Cushing without DeMeco next to him though? Small sample size, and with other 'factors' affecting his play (pregnancy, position change) but he was dogturd when Ryans was cheerleading in 2010. That is worth considering.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #56
Bubbajwp
All Flopper

Rep Power: 572 Bubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respectedBubbajwp is a quality contributor and well respected

I dont believe for one second that the Texans would cut Demeco. Reworking his contract is a possibility but cutting him is very unlikely. Although if they doe cut him give me either Donta Hightower or Vontaze Burfict at 26. I personally think we need depth at MLB anyway's. Sharpton is good but very small for a ILB in a 3-4.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Specnatz View Post
Actually he is an A-Hole because he is an A-hole. just like a tiger is a tiger because he is a tiger.
Bubbajwp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #57
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 16635 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

it depends on how fully sharpton will fully recover IMO if hes still not 100% i think we are handcuffed but to have to keep demco

But im on the Keep mario cut Demco boat i love u demco but its just biz nas

it will be a big gamble tho
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #58
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 77701 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
How good is Cushing without DeMeco next to him though? Small sample size, and with other 'factors' affecting his play (pregnancy, position change) but he was dogturd when Ryans was cheerleading in 2010. That is worth considering.
Cushing did fine on 3rd downs this year brah.
Old 02-18-2012   #59
welsh texan
Lest we forget

Rep Power: 22601 welsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respectedwelsh texan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by b0ng View Post
Cushing did fine on 3rd downs this year brah.
I agree and I felt that point might come up, but its only 1 down on your own out there, it is a worry that I'd have if we were to outright cut Demeco, how did Cushing handle being without him full time? It would worry me.
We will remember them.
welsh texan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #60
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by welsh texan View Post
Cushing looked like dogturd in the one game he & Demeco played in 2010. It wasn't the absence of Demeco that led to the poor play, it was the scheme & philosophy.

"Stand 7 yards from the LOS, wait until the RB commits, then play to the ball... by the way, if they try to throw the ball to Kj's side, knock it down." seems like the instruction he was given. No one would look good playing that way.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read