Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2012   #61
paycheck71
All Pro

Rep Power: 25876 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams taking "whatever happens, happens” approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Try 6 years $84m...
There was more money there for him available through incentives, bringing the total potential value of the contract to 91.5MM, but you're right about 6 yrs. He was also 30 when he signed it.

My bottom line is, I want Mario to stay, and I want to believe that he's not going to chase the money, but it's easier said than done, and right now he's just saying all the right things. We'll see what the Texans offer him, and then we'll see what he does.
paycheck71 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #62
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 10357 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected

The Texans could get Mario for a fair price that doesn't break the bank.

How is this possible you may ask?

Well I heard Mario is working a second job.

Turns out that Mario is also Bob's personal gardener

100 Mill to pull some weeds.

Now that is what I call a fall back job!

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #63
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Try 6 years $84m...

No pass rusher is making more than $15m a year in average salary. And Mario made it clear that being the highest paid is not is priority. I expect something in the $11m-$13m range being offered. Maybe we can add some incentives to sweeten the deal...
I personally think Peppers' contract is the high end. I think the Bears over paid Peppers because of the uncapped year. If Mario is expecting more than that then he's not being very honest about his priorities.

Surely there will be some teams willing to overpay for him, that's the way this league works. I expect his average salary to be around $14M. No, I don't think that is over paying now, I think that is the high end of the DE market (two years after Peppers ink'd his deal).

I expect a 2012 cap number around $10M (which will give the Texans enough money to sign Foster & Myers with the dollars they saved vs Mario's $18M salary last season) & I expect a deal that won't lock the Texans up beyond 3 or 4 years.
Old 02-17-2012   #64
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 31584 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I personally think Peppers' contract is the high end. I think the Bears over paid Peppers because of the uncapped year. If Mario is expecting more than that then he's not being very honest about his priorities.

Surely there will be some teams willing to overpay for him, that's the way this league works. I expect his average salary to be around $14M. No, I don't think that is over paying now, I think that is the high end of the DE market (two years after Peppers ink'd his deal).

I expect a 2012 cap number around $10M (which will give the Texans enough money to sign Foster & Myers with the dollars they saved vs Mario's $18M salary last season) & I expect a deal that won't lock the Texans up beyond 3 or 4 years.
You mentioned the 2010 uncapped year. This year's free agency is unique also. New CBA rules have teams able to role over unused cap from the previous season into this one. Also, teams are ramping up to meet the required salary floor of 90%. Some teams, like Cincinnati and Tampa Bay, will be forced to spend upwords of $40 million more per year than they have been. Between those teams and teams that have money to role over and a willingness to spend it, the market for some players will be absurdly high. I think the initial wave of top tier free agents could break records.

For instance, Kansas City or Tampa could pay Mario a $30 million roster bonus in year one and not blink an eye with all the room they have.
Old 02-17-2012   #65
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87576 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
John McClain was speculating that he is going to be pursued by Jacksonville with a big contract since they have the cap space and feel that they need a 4-3 DE to complete their defense.
Cool so Mario will be staying with us!
Old 02-18-2012   #66
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by amazing80 View Post
No but if you hire someone to do your finances, you would THINK they would bring that to your attention before you made a life changing decision

There is a conflict of interest depending on who is giving him the advice
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #67
b0ng
Ooops

Rep Power: 54416 b0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respectedb0ng is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
You mentioned the 2010 uncapped year. This year's free agency is unique also. New CBA rules have teams able to role over unused cap from the previous season into this one. Also, teams are ramping up to meet the required salary floor of 90%. Some teams, like Cincinnati and Tampa Bay, will be forced to spend upwords of $40 million more per year than they have been. Between those teams and teams that have money to role over and a willingness to spend it, the market for some players will be absurdly high. I think the initial wave of top tier free agents could break records.

For instance, Kansas City or Tampa could pay Mario a $30 million roster bonus in year one and not blink an eye with all the room they have.
The cap floor is not going to be in effect until 2013 so if those teams choose not to spend that money this year, there will be no penalty to them for it.
Sponsored links
Old 02-18-2012   #68
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 49619 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I am really starting to think The Texans are gonna try and get all creative and keep Mario. I hear they are gonna franchise Arian, so maybe, jest maybe this can work.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS BARATHEON PUSHED IT!
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2012   #69
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 153118 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by False Start View Post
I am really starting to think The Texans are gonna try and get all creative and keep Mario. I hear they are gonna franchise Arian, so maybe, jest maybe this can work.
I don't understand the idea of franchising Arian..... surely signing him to a long term deal would be more beneficial to the Texans.

And McNair did give him his word.
Old 02-18-2012   #70
ChampionTexan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 56771 ChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedChampionTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
I don't understand the idea of franchising Arian..... surely signing him to a long term deal would be more beneficial to the Texans.

And McNair did give him his word.
It buys more time to work on a LT deal if they can't reach one by the beginning of free agency.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read