Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-17-2012   #41
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams taking "whatever happens, happens” approach

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
I tend to agree...

If I did read anything out of that I would say that he is open to the possiblity of returning to the team or leaving if that's what has to happen...

But it makes no sense to give verbal felatio to the Texans.
Isn't that the new Fiat that Jennifer Lopez rides in the commercial?
Old 02-17-2012   #42
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Why not?

$90M/7yrs.... we're talking an average salary of $12.8M that's well within the Texans reach.

$100M/7yrs.... $14.3M/yr there's no reason the Texans can't do that either.
What's Peppers' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM? I'm guessing that's the low end of the deal Mario will be offered.

I'm not a cap expert, nor do I want to be one. But it just sounds like there are a lot of teams out there with a lot of cap space who will be able to offer him a lot more money than the Texans. That's pretty much all I was trying to say.

I hope he stays, guys like him are at a premium in the NFL, but he's likely gone, unless he wants to be here to the tune of leaving million$$ on the table...

Last edited by paycheck71; 02-17-2012 at 04:56 PM. Reason: Corrected original brain fart
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #43
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 26601 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71 View Post
I'm not a cap expert, nor do I want to be one. But it just sounds like there are a lot of teams out there with a lot of cap space who will be able to offer him a lot more money than the Texans. That's pretty much all I was trying to say.
Unless those teams are the Giants, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens and maybe the Saints, I don't think he's going to be playing in a Super Bowl anytime soon. He's better off staying in Houston if his goal is to win. But if he wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, which all indications say that isn't his top priority, then yes, he'll sign with a bad team that has a lot of cap space.
Old 02-17-2012   #44
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
What's Suggs' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM? I'm guessing that's the low end of the deal Mario will be offered.

I hope he stays, guys like him are at a premium in the NFL, but he's likely gone, unless he wants to be here to the tune of leaving million$$ on the table...
Hell naw. That dude not worth that kind of $$$. Try 6 years around 60M.
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #45
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 75432 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

States without income tax.

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Florida - Jaguars - Dolphins - Bucs
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

Could you imagine Mario playing against us in a Cowboys, Jaguars, or even Titans uniform? I almost want to break the bank simply to keep him away from those teams...
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #46
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Dang mario add me on xbl. Gt: Norg. Lol
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #47
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

Could you imagine Mario playing against us in a Cowboys, Jaguars, or even Titans uniform? I almost want to break the bank simply to keep him away from those teams...
That's an interesting issue, but important for players to consider. State income tax applies to players when they play away games. So up to 8 of their 17 checks may be earned in other states. That can add up to a big difference in pay! You mentioned the states with no income tax, but in California the rate can be as high as 10.5%! Here's a graph of the state income taxes from 2009. It's still pretty accurate (Tenn has a state capital gains tax):

So for example, if a player earns 17 million dollars from the Houston Texans this year, he will be guaranteed to not pay state income tax for 11 million dollars because there are at 8 home games in Houston, 1 bye week (applied as Houston) and 2 away games in Florida and Tenn. That's 11 million that doesn't get hit with state income taxes. On top of that, any roster or signing bonuses paid to that player are paid in Texas as lump sums and not divided out over the 17 game checks. So only 6 million (35%) of his salary could possibly be hit with extra state income taxes depending on where the away games are hosted. That's pretty cool, when you consider players in California will lose about 5-10% of their base salary.

So if a free agent is looking to sign somewhere, the AFC South is definitely the place to be if he is a frugal player! No other division can boast even two teams in states without income tax, but the AFC South has 3!

Last edited by Dutchrudder; 02-17-2012 at 03:07 PM. Reason: number mistake
Dutchrudder is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-17-2012   #48
Mr teX
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 105274 Mr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respectedMr teX is a quality contributor and well respected

Different strokes for different folks. People forget that this guy was about to give up football while in college to help his sister support her family. So him saying he doesn't care whether he's the highest paid defensive player isn't necessarily something i think is far off for him, as the dude just comes off a loaner to me for some reason. Go workout, go home & play x-box..that it. He doesn't come off as a guy that's looking to market himself or seek to live some glamorous life like so many of these other young guys...Lebron, i'm looking at you.

Coming from a small po-dunk town like Richland Hills NC, I think he does genuinely likes houston b/c while it has all the big perks of a major city, its not crazy out of balance as far as its pace....like an NY or Chi or some other city. Furthermore, it's hell for anyone to uproot themselves to go live elsewhere. So in that regard i think he wants to come back to the texans, but he's not stupid, he knows what the situation is & i believe he's got a price in mind that he'd accept from us that doesn't necessarily break the bank but is respectable. The only question is whether or not Smith & co. come correct or not.
Mr teX is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #49
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

His remarks in the article seem very genuine and from the heart. I believe him when he says he doesn't know much about the process and where it's headed.

I think a good agent would not bother his client with speculation or even early discussions so that there's no distraction before its time for that to take place.

I have not read the comments here, trying to formulate my own opinion on it. I had said that I think he's going to want to command the largest sum he can extract...that his agent would push for it, and he would want to solidify his position as THE marquee defensive player in the NFL today...but his comments make me think (a) he has no indication from the Texans FO about how they are going to handle him prior to him hitting the market as a FA, or (b) he cannot comment about it because he's been instructed NOT to, which is smart for all involved, and/or (c) he truly wants to stay but he knows "it's a process" which means lots of factors are involved and he doesn't have enough pieces of the puzzle, yet, to formulate his own position on it.

Therefore, he's working out and playing XBOX. Just like he said he has been doing. There's nothing to talk about, so there's nothing to do but work out and play XBOX and "let the process play out."

I respect the heck out of him for speaking as candidly as he did. He was sincere in his comments, IMO, and I wish him the best no matter what happens...as long as it never involves three teams in the AFC South and the NFC team in Texas.
Old 02-17-2012   #50
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr teX View Post
Different strokes for different folks. People forget that this guy was about to give up football while in college to help his sister support her family. So him saying he doesn't care whether he's the highest paid defensive player isn't necessarily something i think is far off for him, as the dude just comes off a loaner to me for some reason. Go workout, go home & play x-box..that it. He doesn't come off as a guy that's looking to market himself or seek to live some glamorous life like so many of these other young guys...Lebron, i'm looking at you.

Coming from a small po-dunk town like Richland Hills NC, I think he does genuinely likes houston b/c while it has all the big perks of a major city, its not crazy out of balance as far as its pace....like an NY or Chi or some other city. Furthermore, it's hell for anyone to uproot themselves to go live elsewhere. So in that regard i think he wants to come back to the texans, but he's not stupid, he knows what the situation is & i believe he's got a price in mind that he'd accept from us that doesn't necessarily break the bank but is respectable. The only question is whether or not Smith & co. come correct or not.
Great post. I agree with all of it.

He does seems like he is VERY laid back and very chill. He seems like one of those guys who doesn't talk a lot, but when he does...he means what he says. I think Andre Johnson is like that too.

We've joked a lot, and ridiculed a lot, about how the Texans were building this team of choir boys who are squeaky clean and we needed more hardcore guys than what we have. But you read Mario's comments, and even back when we read AJ's comments about his own contract negotiations, and you see how "refreshing" it can be that we DON'T have a Revis or other mouthy guys.
Old 02-17-2012   #51
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 161936 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

If Mario signs a team friendly deal, I will applaud him. Still rather trade him but in today's world turning down what has been identified as craze buck would be good to see.
Old 02-17-2012   #52
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Super Mario View Post

Texas - Texans - Cowboys
Alaska
Nevada
New Hampshire
South Dakota
Tennessee - Titans
Washington - Seahawks
Wyoming

The problem with this theory is that he suggests Mario is aware of his finances. That is probably not the case. Most pro athletes hire a person(or people) to pay their bills, file their taxes, and manage their finances so they can completely concentrate on their sport. I hate to say it, but most athletes don't know what the current tax rates are, whether their state has an income tax, or how much money they paid in taxes last year.

This type of approach will likely not bear fruit.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #53
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
You'd hate it here? The place that made gave you millions of dollars and were confident enough to make you the first pick of the draft? I'd hate to be you guys....I know money doesn't buy happiness, but if that makes you hate something you guys don't have much to look forward to in life. All that questioning stuff would happen anywhere there are fans with opinions. If he hates that here, he will hate that anywhere. As far as I can tell there is no NFL city with unopinionated NFL media and fans.
Yup. I would also throw in that the media and fans are pretty tame in Houston as compared to other cities. By and large the media and the fans cheered for Mario even when he had difficulty and really got behind him in good times. Throughout his first year when he had that foot issue, the city got behind him. I seriously doubt that would happen in say New York.

I mean, Tom Coughlin takes a team to the playoffs in 4 of 8 years, wins a superbowl, and prior to this last season, the Giant fans and media wanted him fired. I mean the joke around New York is that with his superbowl win, Coughlin has bought a 1 year respite from the media and fans!

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #54
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
The problem with this theory is that he suggests Mario is aware of his finances. That is probably not the case. Most pro athletes hire a person(or people) to pay their bills, file their taxes, and manage their finances so they can completely concentrate on their sport. I hate to say it, but most athletes don't know what the current tax rates are, whether their state has an income tax, or how much money they paid in taxes last year.

This type of approach will likely not bear fruit.

I have to agree with you. It smart to consider this but Im not sure this is a priority in athletes' minds
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #55
amazing80
Site Contributor

Section: my couch
Rep Power: 76308 amazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respectedamazing80 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I have to agree with you. It smart to consider this but Im not sure this is a priority in athletes' minds
No but if you hire someone to do your finances, you would THINK they would bring that to your attention before you made a life changing decision
Old 02-17-2012   #56
GP 
Go Texans!

As of now, he's saying all the right and respectful things.

What nobody wants to see is Mario (or any other "fan favorite/face-of-the-team" player) start jacking their jaw about whether they feel "loved" or not, etc. When the player begins making statements that attempt to sway the public opinion.
Old 02-17-2012   #57
paycheck71
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 46138 paycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respectedpaycheck71 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by paycheck71
What's Suggs' deal? 5 yrs for 91MM?
Hell naw. That dude not worth that kind of $$$. Try 6 years around 60M.
Crap, my bad. I meant Peppers.
paycheck71 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #58
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bulls on Parade View Post
Unless those teams are the Giants, Packers, 49ers, Patriots, Ravens and maybe the Saints, I don't think he's going to be playing in a Super Bowl anytime soon. He's better off staying in Houston if his goal is to win. But if he wants to be the highest-paid defensive player in NFL history, which all indications say that isn't his top priority, then yes, he'll sign with a bad team that has a lot of cap space.
John McClain was speculating that he is going to be pursued by Jacksonville with a big contract since they have the cap space and feel that they need a 4-3 DE to complete their defense.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #59
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Great post. I agree with all of it.

He does seems like he is VERY laid back and very chill. He seems like one of those guys who doesn't talk a lot, but when he does...he means what he says. I think Andre Johnson is like that too.

We've joked a lot, and ridiculed a lot, about how the Texans were building this team of choir boys who are squeaky clean and we needed more hardcore guys than what we have. But you read Mario's comments, and even back when we read AJ's comments about his own contract negotiations, and you see how "refreshing" it can be that we DON'T have a Revis or other mouthy guys.
yes I like this approach better than
[IMG][/IMG]
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #60
cbs1507
Veteran

Rep Power: 8662 cbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respectedcbs1507 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Crap, my bad. I meant Peppers.
Try 6 years $84m...

No pass rusher is making more than $15m a year in average salary. And Mario made it clear that being the highest paid is not is priority. I expect something in the $11m-$13m range being offered. Maybe we can add some incentives to sweeten the deal...
cbs1507 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read