Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

Old 02-16-2012   #21
marks01234
Rookie

Rep Power: 185 marks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respectedmarks01234 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Williams taking "whatever happens, happens” approach

Sounds to me like his agent is telling him not to his hat to anything yet.

Really hope we can keep him.
marks01234 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #22
mussop
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 54157 mussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respectedmussop is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbs1507 View Post
Mario Williams on being the highest paid player...

Furthermore he indicates that he would accept what we think is adequate for the position and what he brings to the team...

Geez you experts who are @$$uming and trying to read between the lines are forgetting to actually read the article. These were his actual words no reading between the lines here...
denial! you're in it.
mussop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #23
rollinstone18
let it bleed

Rep Power: 2574 rollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respectedrollinstone18 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vinny View Post
sure didn't sound like he was excited to come back to be a part of this.
didn't get that impression from the audio/podcast. maybe i'm just being optimistic tho. i get the "leave business to the businessmen" attitude. dude just wants to play football. and i hope it's for us.
rollinstone18 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #24
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 28939 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by rollinstone18 View Post
didn't get that impression from the audio/podcast. maybe i'm just being optimistic tho. i get the "leave business to the businessmen" attitude. dude just wants to play football. and i hope it's for us.
Can't blame him for that. The NFL is a business. I think he'd be happy to be back with the Texans, but it sounds like he'd also be happy to play for someone else.

I'd love to have him here, but it's not absolutely essential. My guess is he's gone.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #25
Allstar
Bona fide

Rep Power: 16898 Allstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respectedAllstar is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, I came out of this feeling better about Mario staying, but I still think he's gone. He wants to be here, but he doesn't know if we are willing to make it happen.
Allstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #26
bckey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15762 bckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respectedbckey is a quality contributor and well respected

He is as good as gone. The Texans played great without him and I really think he wants to be on a team where he is "the guy" and maybe closer to home.
bckey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #27
Bulls on Parade
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 9534 Bulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respectedBulls on Parade is a quality contributor and well respected

Mario Williams will stay if he knows what's best for his career. He's going to flourish with 15 to 20 sacks a year in Wade Phillips' system. I still felt like he was barely learning in 2011 but in limited time, he was showing a great pass rush from the outside linebacker position.
Old 02-17-2012   #28
fiasco west
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 13798 fiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respectedfiasco west is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds like his agent is telling him to be careful of what he says so instead he gives vague cookie cutter answers. Good plan.
fiasco west is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #29
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 53447 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Id take the biggest check possible
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #30
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1035 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Man, I'd love to be in that locker room.... I don't see that "motivation" on TV, not with Phillips on the sideline, I just don't see it.

But I've seen/heard 3 defensive players say they really like the way Wade motivates them. Demeco, Cody, & now Mario.

What the hell does he do?
I would be willing to be that it comes down to the personalities of the players on the team. By that, I mean that with the Cowboys, players complained that he was too "laid back" and things of the sort. Here, the guys like the motivation he gives them.

I would bet pretty confidently that Wade's style works with players who are disciplined and self-motivated. Guys like Cushing, DeMeco, etc. who know what they want and just need an overall direction and a place to fit into the puzzle. These guys probably work best with Wade because they don't need to have a fire lit under their ass.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #31
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

To me it sounded like he was iffy on whether he'd be back. He's not going to take some huge discount but he'd probably take a nice, non-insulting offer...
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #32
nero THE zero
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 15056 nero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respectednero THE zero is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hagar View Post
His answer wasn't YES.
I was thinking about this today. He probably hates it here. He came in amongst the whole Reggie Bush / Vince Young drama, has endured criticism nearly his entire time here, and now has everyone from writers to sports talk callers deprioritizing him in favor of other players, including guys like Mario Manningham or Robert Meachem (i.e. "I'd rather let Mario walk and bring in a WR2"). He's not been exactly beloved.

So, I don't find it really surprising that he's not overly-enthused about staying here in Houston.
Old 02-17-2012   #33
Señor Stan
El Guapo

Rep Power: 44649 Señor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respectedSeñor Stan is a quality contributor and well respected

I think the only chance the Texans have is to lock up Mario before he hits the open market. Once the bidding starts, the Texans are out.

If they were REALLY convinced Mario was "the" guy long term, they should have renegotiated his deal in the uncapped year. They could have majorly front loaded the deal and had Mario on the cheap for the next few years...
Señor Stan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #34
Goldensilence
Is this Sparta?

Rep Power: 9088 Goldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respectedGoldensilence is a quality contributor and well respected

Translation: there goes pretty much any hope some guys had around here of nailing a contract down before FA hits. I said it before, he'd be stupid to not to want to test the waters in FA and it certainly looks like thats his plan. I don't blame him.
Goldensilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #35
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 87575 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Interesting how so many read the same words and have different opinions of what they say. I read the McClain article in Chronicle before signing in here and he left out quite a bit of above imo, http://blog.chron.com/ultimatetexans...n-with-texans/

Most of you know that I would prefer to sign and trade him for picks & to use his 2011 cap reportedly as high as $20m to go get Hicks OG and Bowe WR. Having said that, I was surprisingly in the belief that Mario would prefer to remain a Texan and at a fair price.

He noted that he and Kubes went thru a bit of publicity when Mario was drafted and that he loved his coaches and wished Gary the best. That did not seem like it had anything to do with Mario's plans. He did not say, he wished Kubes the best if I am on another team. We shall see.

He does remain under contract until some date in March.

FYI, combine begins Feb 23rd.
Old 02-17-2012   #36
BigBull17
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4547 BigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respectedBigBull17 is a quality contributor and well respected

Honestly, if I was him I would hate it too. From day one his work ethic has been called into question. Then, whenever he did well, people down played his accomplishments. I would hate it
Old 02-17-2012   #37
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 109004 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigBull17 View Post
Honestly, if I was him I would hate it too. From day one his work ethic has been called into question. Then, whenever he did well, people down played his accomplishments. I would hate it
You'd hate it here? The place that made gave you millions of dollars and were confident enough to make you the first pick of the draft? I'd hate to be you guys....I know money doesn't buy happiness, but if that makes you hate something you guys don't have much to look forward to in life. All that questioning stuff would happen anywhere there are fans with opinions. If he hates that here, he will hate that anywhere. As far as I can tell there is no NFL city with unopinionated NFL media and fans.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #38
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 41089 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected

Sounds to me like a smart player with a smart agent just gave absolutely nothing away in either direction. That was one of the most intelligent interviews I've ever read from a football player. He said he liked it here, he complemented the team, he said he wasn't going to demand to be the highest paid. And at the same time he talked about how its a business and how he will do whats best for him and the team.

I think its impossible to read anything in to this. This was a very savvy move by a vet and nothing more in my opinion
Old 02-17-2012   #39
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post
Sounds to me like a smart player with a smart agent just gave absolutely nothing away in either direction. That was one of the most intelligent interviews I've ever read from a football player. He said he liked it here, he complemented the team, he said he wasn't going to demand to be the highest paid. And at the same time he talked about how its a business and how he will do whats best for him and the team.

I think its impossible to read anything in to this. This was a very savvy move by a vet and nothing more in my opinion
I tend to agree...

If I did read anything out of that I would say that he is open to the possiblity of returning to the team or leaving if that's what has to happen...

But it makes no sense to give verbal felatio to the Texans.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2012   #40
GlassHalfFull 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 53440 GlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respectedGlassHalfFull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gtexan02 View Post

^^^^I agree with GTex

We just have to wait and see how it plays out. Arm chair GM'ing isn't going to do any good.

IMO, Mario gave a great noncommittal interview. Attempting to read between the lines will just give you a headache, or in Gary's case a stomach ache.

I Mario and really hope we can somehow manage to keep him. Keeping my until we know otherwise.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read