Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Mike Mayock on 2012 Draft

Playoffs

Hall of Fame
Too much info to parse out all the tweet remnants, but I cleaned out a lot of it and posting the rest as is. Would read bottom to top.
=======================================================================

Most interesting Mayock nuggets: 1) Jeffery, Burfict not worth 1st-day picks 2) Tannehill surefire 1st-rder 3) Kendall Wright top-15 player.
9h •
Mayock on Dre Kirkpatrick arrest: "Didn't turn out to be much. I don't think in the world of the NFL .. that it's going to hurt him at all."
9h •
Mayock on #Alabama RB Trent Richardson: "Tremendous feet for size. Really good balance & vision. This kid is tough and he's a 3-down back."
10h •
Mayock on #Baylor WR Kendall Wright: "I think he'll run a sub-4.4 and probably go in the top-15 picks."
10h •
Mayock on #Florida WR/RB Chris Rainey: "Might run 4.25. Quick, explosive, fast. Catches well. A lot of people value him in 3rd or 4th rd."
10h •
Mayock has 4th-round grade on Kirk Cousins. Draft him as a backup and he has "some potential to be a T.J. Yates."
10h •
Mayock on #MichiganState QB Kirk Cousins: "Good feet, good athlete. Good, not great arm. Thought he had trouble moving, throwing to left."
10h •
Mayock on #OklahomaState WR Justin Blackmon: "As long as he runs 4.5s or better ... I don't see any way he could get past No. 7.
10h •
More Mayock on Darius Fleming: "Natural rush ability no matter where you line him up. He's a draftable DE/OLB/ST. Gonna surprise some ppl."
10h •
Mayock on #NotreDame OLB Darius Fleming: "Surprised he's not higher rated. Once teams put tape on, they say wow there's something here."
10h •
Mayock on #UNC DEQuinton Coples: "I'm not a (fan). I'd be scared to death there because he did not play well or hard as a senior."
10h •
Mayock on Brandon Weeden-Chris Weinke comparisons: "I think he's much more developed than that and a better quarterback than that."
10h •
Mayock says #Memphis NT Dontari Poe has Haloti Ngata upside. "He's that big & has that kind of movement skills. But he's so raw it's scary."
10h •
Mayock on possibility of Luke Kuechly to #Eagles: "I think he starts day one & really solidifies what they've got going on up front there."
10h •
Mayock on #LSU DT Michael Brockers: "Potential top-10 pick. He's a really explosive 6'5/300 defensive tackle. Concern is he's a 1-year guy."
10h •
Mayock on #Georgia TE Orson Charles: "I think he's a second-round pick that goes somewhere between 33 and 45."
10h •
Mayock on #Baylor QB Robert Griffin: "Bottom line, to me, is he is a playmaker. He is a playmaker and that's what this league is all about."
10h •
Mayock on #Browns trade up: "If it's me, I'm looking at that hard. I'm looking to get RG3." Calls QB "most important position in sports."
10h •
Mayock doesn't believe #Iowa LT Riley Reiff is a top-10 talent in the draft, but very well could be due to the "value of the position."
10h •
Mayock on #Alabama RB Trent Richardson: "I think the last guy where you banged the table this hard was Peterson when he was the 7th pick."
10h •
Mayock on #OhioState WR DeVier Posey: "I think he's a mid-round wide receiver. Does everything pretty well, nothing elite."
10h •
Mayock on #OhioState LT Mike Adams: "Helped himself at the Senior Bowl. Most people had 2nd-round grades on him but he's moving up."
10h •
Mayock on #Stanford OT Jonathan Martin: "Gifted athletically. Needs to get a little bit stronger but will protect the quarterback."
11h •
Mayock on #NotreDame WR Michael Floyd: "Cleaned himself up on and off the field. Exceptional (senior) year. He needs to run well."
11h •
Mayock on Mohamed Sanu: "Not sudden, doesn't have great acceleration." Said that like Alshon Jeffery, Sanu does not create separation.
11h •
Mayock says 4 receivers should be drafted in the 1st round: Blackmon, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Rueben Randle. Not Jeffery or Sanu.
11h •
Mayock said he has heard rumors about Jeffery ballooning up. Emphasized that Jeffery "does not separate" and must be in shape at Combine.
11h •
More Mayock on Alshon Jeffery: "Big and fast is good. Big and slow is bad. Bottom line is ... he has got to run well."
11h •
Mayock on Alshon Jeffery: "Does not separate. What those guys run is important. He needs to run somewhere in those mid 4.5s."
11h •
More Mayock on RG3: "He'll stay in (the pocket) and take hits. He initially looks to get the football down the field. And I like that."
11h •
Mayock on RG3: "I love everything about the kid. Question I have is, he doesn't throw w/ anticipation. In that offense, he doesn't have to."
11h •
Mayock described David Wilson as a "downhill, one-cut back" with highly impressive feet. "I've got him as a second-round guy."
11h •
Mayock on #VaTech RB David Wilson: "There's some ppl that think he could be a 1st-round pick. Really quick, great feet and balance."
11h •
Mayock says he just put on Vontaze Burfict's tape, forgetting about off-field & penalties. And Burfict was an unimpressive football player.
11h •
More Mayock on Vontaze Burfict: "Instincts aren't good, gets enveloped by big bodies, runs around blocks. I don't see first round at all."
11h •
Mayock on Vontaze Burfict: "I'm not a fan at all. I just watched a bunch of his tape the other day. I came away unimpressed."
11h •
More Mayock on Kuechly: "Playmaking & instincts are so good." Compares to #Cowboys LB Sean Lee, but better athleticism, has never been hurt.
11h •
Mayock on Luke Kuechly: "Best inside linebacker in draft by far. More production than you can ever imagine. Better athlete than ppl think."
11h •
Mayock on Matt Kalil: "Wonderfully gifted. Great feet, long arms, fits athleticism bill for an All-Pro left tackle." Lacks "core strength."
11h •
Mayock expects Ryan Tannehill to be a "first-round guy." Says decision-making issues are fixable, perhaps with more experience.
11h •
Mayock on Ryan Tannehill: "Big strong athlete with a really good arm. ... (But) lacks anticipation & too often throws into coverage."
11h •
Mayock expects #Stanford QB Andrew Luck to run 40 time in the 4.7s. "But more than anything, he's gonna win the battle in the board rooms."
11h •
Mayock had issue with reporter asking him to compare recent 1st-rd QBs to Andrew Luck and rank: "What are we playing fantasy football here?"
11h •
Mayock on RG3: "One of the most gifted kids in the last several years. ... Maybe the most exciting young player in this year's draft."
11h •
Mayock says wide receiver is #Patriots biggest need. "Vertical wide receiver could really help them."
11h •
Mayock: #Wisconsin OLs Peter Konz & Kevin Zeitler are both "late one to mid two" -round picks. Says interior OL is strength of draft class.
11h •
Mayock says #Illinois DE Whitney Mercilus is more of a "late one, early two." Draft stock will be helped by weak class of defensive ends.
11h •
Mayock on Whitney Mercilus: "Fairly gifted kid. Some natural pass-rush ability. Little bit of a 1-yr wonder. Not stout at point of attack."
12h •
Mayock also pulled Zach Brown of #UNC & Vontaze Burfict of #ArizonaSt out of his top-5 linebackers. Replaced by Ronnell Lewis, Sean Spence.

Mayock on #Baylor WR Kendall Wright: "I think he'll run a sub-4.4 and probably go in the top-15 picks."

Interesting................

Mayock on Mohamed Sanu: "Not sudden, doesn't have great acceleration." Said that like Alshon Jeffery, Sanu does not create separation.

Mayock says 4 receivers should be drafted in the 1st round: Blackmon, Kendall Wright, Michael Floyd, Rueben Randle. Not Jeffery or Sanu.

Mayock said he has heard rumors about Jeffery ballooning up. Emphasized that Jeffery "does not separate" and must be in shape at Combine.

More Mayock on Alshon Jeffery: "Big and fast is good. Big and slow is bad. Bottom line is ... he has got to run well."

Mayock on Alshon Jeffery: "Does not separate. What those guys run is important. He needs to run somewhere in those mid 4.5s."

Not good.............

Interesting................

Not good.............

Yeah that worries me about Sanu, I've been touting his name as a possible 1st for the Texans. Seems like when you watch him on highlights he is blowing past people and making plays, I guess that's just highlights for you. I'm a "timed speed on a track is overrated" kind of guy but if he can't get open, the hands, the elusive running after the catch, the size, the route running ability is all for nothing.

What weight these WRs show up at, what shape they're in, and how quick they are will all be very telling about their future prospects.

Slackers need not apply. There's no time for hand-holding/molly-coddling.

Mayock's updated position rankings

Quarterback
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford
2. Robert Griffin III, Baylor
3. Ryan Tannehill, Texas A&M
4. Brandon Weeden, Oklahoma State
5. Kirk Cousins, Michigan State

Running Back
1. Trent Richardson, Alabama
2. Doug Martin, Boise State
3. David Wilson, Virginia Tech
4. Lamar Miller, Miami (Fla.)
5. LaMichael James, Oregon

Wide Receiver
1. Justin Blackmon, Oklahoma State
3. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
2. Kendall Wright, Baylor
4. Stephen Hill, Georgia Tech
5. Alshon Jeffery, South Carolina

Tight End
1. Coby Fleener, Stanford
2. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
3. Orson Charles, Georgia
4. Ladarius Green, Louisiana-Lafayette
5. James Hanna, Oklahoma

Rise: Fleener, Allen
Fall: Charles
Out: Deangelo Peterson, LSU

Offensive Tackle
1. Matt Kalil, USC
2. Riley Reiff, Iowa
3. Jonathan Martin, Stanford
4. Mike Adams, Ohio State
5. Cordy Glenn, Georgia

Guard
1. David DeCastro, Stanford
2. Kevin Zeitler, Wisconsin
3. Amini Silatolu, Midwestern State
4. Kelechi Osemele, Iowa State
5. Brandon Brooks, Miami (Ohio)

Center
1. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2. Philip Blake, Baylor
3. Ben Jones, Georgia
4. David Molk, Michigan
5. Michael Brewster, Ohio State

Defensive End
1. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
2. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
3. Nick Perry, USC
4. Vinny Curry, Marshall
5. Jared Crick, Nebraska

Defensive Tackle
1. Dontari Poe, Memphis
2. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
3. Michael Brockers, LSU
4. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
T-5. Kendall Reyes, Connecticut
T-5. Devon Still, Penn St.

Rise: Still

Outside Linebacker
1. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
2. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
3. Andre Branch, Clemson
4. Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma
5. Shea McClellin, Boise State

Inside Linebacker
1. Luke Kuechly, Boston College
2. Dont'a Hightower, Alabama
3. Mychal Kendricks, California
4. Keenan Robinson, Texas
5. Sean Spence, Miami

Cornerback
1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
2. Stephon Gilmore, South Carolina
3. Dre Kirkpatrick, Alabama
4. Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama
5. Josh Robinson, Central Florida

Rise: Gilmore, Kirkpatrick
Fall: Jenkins, Robinson

Safety
1. Mark Barron, Alabama
2. Harrison Smith, Notre Dame
3. Brandon Taylor, LSU
4. DeQuan Menzie, Alabama
5. Phillip Thomas, Syracuse

Evan Silva ‏ @evansilva Reply Retweet Favorite · Open
Mayock's top-5 tight ends in the draft: 1) Coby Fleener 2) Dwayne Allen 3) Orson Charles 4) Ladarius Green 5) James Hanna.
---------------------
Mayock's top-5 WRs for the 2012 draft: 1) Justin Blackmon 2) Michael Floyd 3) Kendall Wright 4) Stephen Hill 5) Alshon Jeffery.

Mayock on Michael Floyd: "Between the white lines, this kid's a beast. Physical, tough great hands. He's the best blocking WR in the draft."

More Mayock on Michael Floyd: "Gotta get comfortable with him off field. ... I think he's close to Blackmon on tape, really close."
----------------------
Mayock's top-5 DTs for 2012 draft: 1) Fletcher Cox 2) Jerel Worthy 3) Michael Brockers 4) Dontari Poe 5 (tie) Devon Still & Kendall Reyes.
----------------------
Mayock's top-5 3-4 OLBs in the draft: 1) M. Ingram 2) S. McClellin 3) W. Mercilus 4) A. Branch 5) Ronnell Lewis.

Mayock on Shea McClellin: "The more tape I watch, the more I like this kid. Put the tape on, you think Mike Vrabel. This kid makes plays."

More Mayock on McClellin: "He's a 2nd-round pick that could sneak into the 1st round." Says 3-4 teams at end of 1st should be interested.

Mayock on Shea McClellin: "The more tape I watch, the more I like this kid. Put the tape on, you think Mike Vrabel. This kid makes plays."
OK in a span of a week, Mike Mayock takes McClellin from the #5 to the #2 OLB in the draft. Then states that after watching "more tape" he likes McClellin more. My question: What were you basing your original rankings off of? How do we know whether you've watched equal amounts of tape on all of the OLB prospects?

To me, it seems disingenuous. I firmly believe that Mayock (like Mel Kiper) gathers information on prospects from NFL contacts, and re-packages the information as his own. Sure, Mayock complies the lists and makes decisions on which information to trust. But that's not what he's selling.

From my perspective, there's been only one draft guru who wasn't a suckerfish and scouted for himself. The late Joel Buchsbaum (mistakenly called Buschbaum) of Pro Football Weekly. One of the fathers of draftnik industry, you may not have agreed with Joel, and he wasn't always right. But when Buchsbaum opined on a prospect, you knew that opinion was his own, developed in the film room.

OK in a span of a week, Mike Mayock takes McClellin from the #5 to the #2 OLB in the draft. Then states that after watching "more tape" he likes McClellin more. My question: What were you basing your original rankings off of? How do we know whether you've watched equal amounts of tape on all of the OLB prospects?

To me, it seems disingenuous. I firmly believe that Mayock (like Mel Kiper) gathers information on prospects from NFL contacts, and re-packages the information as his own. Sure, Mayock complies the lists and makes decisions on which information to trust. But that's not what he's selling.

I think I know which scout he has been getting his information from.

quote "I'm thinking Shea McClellin could go in the first. The more I watch of him the more I like him. At worst he should go early second."

Zeitler for RG, please.

Caldwell for RG2 (depth).

But on another note: WHAT IF Andre Branch falls to 26? Awfully tempting.

From my perspective, there's been only one draft guru who wasn't a suckerfish and scouted for himself. The late Joel Buchsbaum (mistakenly called Buschbaum) of Pro Football Weekly. One of the fathers of draftnik industry, you may not have agreed with Joel, and he wasn't always right. But when Buchsbaum opined on a prospect, you knew that opinion was his own, developed in the film room.
I think Mayock, Kiper and the others keep churning info to stay in front of camera and seem revelant. No one including myself make comments based solely on what they watch but include opinions of others.

Zeitler for RG, please.

He looks more like a 4-3 end to me. Wade likes plug & play guys @ their natural positions, that's why he's so effective.

There was a quote last year from an unnamed GM about Mayock stating that he was one of the only Draftniks that actually studies coaches tape, and that he had some measure of respect throughout the league. This GM mentioned that other so called draft gurus were "less respected". If I can find it later I'll try to post it.

Regarding changing opinions, if Mayock does indeed study tape, consider this, if he focuses on the top 100 prospects and there is 11 games worth of footage per prospect, thats 1,100 games to watch. If some of these games have multiple prospects, that would require multiple screenings of the same game to properly evaluate each guy. That's a lot of football to watch. I don't have a problem with him changing opinions throughout the process as he studies film more. I would expect his rankings to change as time progresses and he gathers more info.

For the record, I also REALLY liked JB. He was awesome. Personally, I think Mayock is as close to JB as it gets for the current generation of draft gurus.

He looks more like a 4-3 end to me. Wade likes plug & play guys @ their natural positions, that's why he's so effective.

He's listed as a 3-4 OLB...and I admit I haven't watched him play, so you're saying he's better suited to a 4-3 DE because of the size and the way he plays?

To be fair, I have changed my mind on McClellin as well. I'm not a professional draft guru either but still....

When I first watched McClellin I didn't see the flash plays. But the more I watched the more I realized that he's going to be the type of player that is there every play at the worst. Add in that he seems to have a high work ethic, high motor and I think he's one of the better players at the position. Personally, I like Bruce Irvin better as a football player, but that's besides the point which is that I like McClellin more now than I did originally...

Zeitler for RG, please.

I'm a big Zeitler fan...

I wouldn't be mad with a Zeitler at 26 pick...

If we could somehow get him in the second round that'd be great...

Mayock on Coby Fleener: "Not a great blocker. ... Ability wise, he's a 2nd-rounder. Expect him to go between 28 &40."

Mayock on Coby Fleener: "Not a great blocker. ... Ability wise, he's a 2nd-rounder. Expect him to go between 28 &40."

Fleener is a good te, but I think there will be better options available when we're on the clock. I think we should give Casey that #2 role.

And if were looking for a te to be more of a receiver I'd rather have Ladarius green.

Give me a trade back before a fleener pick up at 26.

i tell you what though i would be really scared if the colts took fleener. this would be a bad situation for us i think and has a real chance of happening.

Fleener is a good te, but I think there will be better options available when we're on the clock. I think we should give Casey that #2 role.

And if were looking for a te to be more of a receiver I'd rather have Ladarius green.

Give me a trade back before a fleener pick up at 26.

I've been spouting off the same thing all week and getting chastised for it. Big rep.

• More Mayock on RG3's attitude: "He has a natural, charismatic personality. Wide receivers are already lining up wanting to play with him."
  • Mayock on story about RG3's attitude: "I did not see that report and I have not seen any red flags." Spent time w/ RG3 at Combine & Pro Day.
  • Mayock also praised #Furman CB Ryan Steed. Said he likes Steed's physicality & competitiveness. Projects 5th round for Steed.
  • Mayock on #UNC DE Quinton Coples: "He could be an All Pro. But he's got bust potential written all over him."
  • Mayock on #SouthCarolina CB Stephon Gilmore: "I'm a big fan. He's a top 10 or 12 player in this draft. Definitely top half of the 1st rd."
  • Mayock on Orson Charles: "Very narrow, small frame. Looks like a WR and he's not gonna get much bigger." Projects late 3rd, maybe lower.
  • Mayock on #Alabama NT Josh Chapman: "I'm not sure when he's gonna be available (health wise), but teams really like Chapman."
  • Mayock on #Alabama SS Mark Barron: "Barron is one of the best players in this draft, and I think he's gonna go between 10 & 15."
  • Mayock on Brian Quick: "Ht-wt-speed guy. Not sure we're gonna see any production out of him. I think he's gonna be a little overwhelmed."
  • Mayock on Stephen Hill: "I would not be surprised at all if he goes 20-32. There's so much upside in a kid like that outside the numbers."
  • Mayock on Luke Kuechly: "One of the 10 best players in this draft ... Best pass-dropping inside 'backer I've ever seen come out of college."
  • Mayock says he'd "bang the table" for Shea McClellin. "He's gonna go in the 1st." McClellin has been @NFLDraftXpert's boy for a long time.
  • RT @vincelamartina Ravens won't let Burfict go undrafted. Great locker room ... Last time I checked, Ravens don't draft terrible FB players.
  • In reply to Vince Lamartina
  • Maybe cliche by now, but Mayock praised #Ravens for "staying true to their board." That's something #Rams didn't do under Devaney.
  • Mayock on #NotreDame WR Michael Floyd: "Big physical guy. Natural hands catcher. Maybe the best blocker at receiver in this draft."
  • RT @JJGUAR mayock mayock mayock mayock mayock mayock. I have another word for you today. UNFOLLOW ... I gave fair warning. Deuces.
  • In reply to JG
  • More Mayock on #ArizonaState LB Vontaze Burfict: "Non-draftable kid. For me, he's a free agent."
  • Mayock on Vontaze Burfict: "I put his tape on with zero preconceived notions. I watched 3 tapes and really didn't like him as a FB player."
  • Mayock on Ryan Broyles: "Possession receiver, tough as nails. ... Amazing recovery from an ACL." Projects late 3rd to 4th-round pick.
  • Mayock on #Jaguars at No. 7 overall: "Obviously, if Justin Blackmon gets there, that's a no-brainer."
  • Mayock called Zach Brown a "height weight speed guy" who will be overdrafted. Questions Brown's physicality. 3rd-rd grade from Mayock.
  • Mayock on #UNC LB Zach Brown: "Anytime anybody gets on him, his feet stop. He's a run-and-chase LB who's gonna get enveloped."
  • Mayock on #WestVirginia CB Keith Tandy: "He's been kind of a late riser. Pretty solid corner. I've got him right now mid to late 4th rd."
  • Mayock predicts #PennState DT Devon Still will be an early 2nd-round pick. Acknowledges Still often appears in 1st-round mock drafts.
  • Mayock on #Memphis DT Dontari Poe: "Moves like Haloti Ngata, but he's a very average football player right now."
  • Mayock on #BoiseState LB Shea McClellin. "A guy that's risen a lot lately. I think he's gonna be a 10-yr starter." Compares to Mike Vrabel.
  • Mayock on #Cincinnati DL Derek Wolfe: "I've heard ppl say 1st round. I don't see it. I see maybe late 2 to early 3."
  • Mayock on #NorthAlabama CB Janoris Jenkins: "The Jenkins kid is scaring a lot of people off."
  • Mayock on #SouthCarolina WR Alshon Jeffery: "Not as fast. I worry about what his weight's gonna be. Gifted kid that doesn't run very fast."
  • Mayock on #Vikings at the No. 3 pick: "I believe Kalil is the choice. And if he's not, it's gotta be Claiborne."
  • Mayock on #Stanford WR Chris Owusu: "I think it's gonna be very difficult for him to be drafted" based on concussion history.
  • Mayock on #Cal WR Marvin Jones: "I think he's a real solid football player. I would say he's gonna fit into 3rd round. Slow, steady rise."
  • More Mayock on #Browns at 4: "I don't think those receivers should be in this conversation. ... I think Richardson's the guy at 4."
  • Mayock on #Browns at 4: "If you're not gonna take a quarterback, I think you have to take Trent Richardson."
  • Mayock says RG3 "has a better chance to succeed, day one" than Luck because of #Redskins superior supporting cast. Much better D, WRs.
  • Mayock also noted that 15 of the last 23 quarterbacks drafted in the 1st round have become starters.
  • Per Mayock's stats, only 7 of the last 82 quarterbacks drafted in rounds 2-7 have become NFL starters.
  • Mayock says DE Olivier Vernon is "rising the fastest" of all #Miami Hurricane prospects. Predicts Vernon will be drafted in 2nd or 3rd rd.

Mayock updates his list again:

Quarterback
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford

Running Back
4. LaMichael James, Oregon
5. Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati

New entry: Pead
Rise: James (5)
Out: Lamar Miller, Miami (4)

Wide Receiver
2. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
3. Kendall Wright, Baylor

Tight End
2. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
5. James Hanna, Oklahoma

Offensive Tackle
1. Matt Kalil, USC
2. Riley Reiff, Iowa
3. Cordy Glenn, Georgia
4. Jonathan Martin, Stanford
5. Jeff Allen, Illinois

New entry: Allen
Rise: Glenn (5)
Out: Mike Adams, Ohio State (3)

Guard

Center
1. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2. Philip Blake, Baylor
3. Ben Jones, Georgia
4. David Molk, Michigan
5. Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State

New entry: Saulsberry
Out: Michael Brewster, Ohio State (5)

Defensive End
1. Chandler Jones, Syracuse
2. Quinton Coples, North Carolina
3. Courtney Upshaw, Alabama
4. Vinny Curry, Marshall
5. Bruce Irvin, West Virginia

New Entry: Irvin
Rise: Jones (4), Curry (5)
Fall: Coples (1), Upshaw (2)
Out: Nick Perry, USC (3)

Defensive Tackle
1. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
2. Dontari Poe, Memphis
3. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
4. Michael Brockers, LSU
5. Devon Still, Penn State

Rise: Poe (4), Worthy (4)
Fall: Worthy (2), Brockers (3)
Out: Kendall Reyes, Connecticut (5t)

Outside Linebacker
1. Shea McClellin, Boise State
2. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
3. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
4. Lavonte David, Nebraska
5. Andre Branch, Clemson

New Entry: David
Rise: McClellin (2)
Fall: Ingram (1), Branch (4)
Out: Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma (5)

Inside Linebacker
4. James-Michael Johnson, Nevada
5. Tank Carder, TCU

New Entry: Johnson, Carder
Out: Keenan Robinson, Texas (4); Sean Spence, Miami (5)

Cornerback
1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
4. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
5. Trumaine Johnson, Montana

New Entry: Hayward, Johnson
Out: Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama (4); Josh Robinson, Central Florida (5)

Safety
1. Mark Barron, Alabama
3. Brandon Taylor, LSU

Defensive End
4. Vinny Curry, Marshall

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but what has Chandler Jones done on tape recently to rise to the #1 DE prospect in the draft? Nothing. Jones has 10 career sacks in 32 games. Now I get why Jones is highly regarded by NFL teams. He fits the bill. He looks the part. But he's never actually played better than Coples, Upshaw, Curry, Irvin (or even Mercilus and Perry). So whatever evaluation Mayock has done to have Jones leapfrog the rest of the DE class, it wasn't from watching tape.

Mayock updates his list again:

Quarterback
1. Andrew Luck, Stanford

Running Back
4. LaMichael James, Oregon
5. Isaiah Pead, Cincinnati

New entry: Pead
Rise: James (5)
Out: Lamar Miller, Miami (4)

Wide Receiver
2. Michael Floyd, Notre Dame
3. Kendall Wright, Baylor

Tight End
2. Dwayne Allen, Clemson
5. James Hanna, Oklahoma

Offensive Tackle
1. Matt Kalil, USC
2. Riley Reiff, Iowa
3. Cordy Glenn, Georgia
4. Jonathan Martin, Stanford
5. Jeff Allen, Illinois

New entry: Allen
Rise: Glenn (5)
Out: Mike Adams, Ohio State (3)

Guard

Center
1. Peter Konz, Wisconsin
2. Philip Blake, Baylor
3. Ben Jones, Georgia
4. David Molk, Michigan
5. Quentin Saulsberry, Mississippi State

New entry: Saulsberry
Out: Michael Brewster, Ohio State (5)

Defensive End
4. Vinny Curry, Marshall

Defensive Tackle
1. Fletcher Cox, Mississippi State
2. Dontari Poe, Memphis
3. Jerel Worthy, Michigan State
4. Michael Brockers, LSU
5. Devon Still, Penn State

Rise: Poe (4), Worthy (4)
Fall: Worthy (2), Brockers (3)
Out: Kendall Reyes, Connecticut (5t)

Outside Linebacker
1. Shea McClellin, Boise State
2. Melvin Ingram, South Carolina
3. Whitney Mercilus, Illinois
4. Lavonte David, Nebraska
5. Andre Branch, Clemson

New Entry: David
Rise: McClellin (2)
Fall: Ingram (1), Branch (4)
Out: Ronnell Lewis, Oklahoma (5)

Inside Linebacker
4. James-Michael Johnson, Nevada
5. Tank Carder, TCU

New Entry: Johnson, Carder
Out: Keenan Robinson, Texas (4); Sean Spence, Miami (5)

Cornerback
1. Morris Claiborne, LSU
4. Casey Hayward, Vanderbilt
5. Trumaine Johnson, Montana

New Entry: Hayward, Johnson
Out: Janoris Jenkins, North Alabama (4); Josh Robinson, Central Florida (5)

Safety
1. Mark Barron, Alabama
3. Brandon Taylor, LSU

So, burn one little fatty and you're out? :kitten:

I jest.

My impression is Mayock is more of an ear-to-the-ground reporter than a tape evaluator. I used to think otherwise -- he sells himself as such.

Thus drastic changes running into the last two weeks have to be due to information being discovered or leaked, imo. Guys who watch tape knew who they liked weeks ago.

Doesn't diminish Mayock's relevance -- just indicates why he is.

Doesn't diminish Mayock's relevance -- just indicates why he is.
That's my point, exactly. He's no different than Kiper in regards to ranking off of inside information.

And that's fine. It's great to get some inside info. But to sell it differently than a Schefter or Mortenson is disingenuous.

I don't want to beat a dead horse, but what has Chandler Jones done on tape recently to rise to the #1 DE prospect in the draft? Nothing. Jones has 10 career sacks in 32 games. Now I get why Jones is highly regarded by NFL teams. He fits the bill. He looks the part. But he's never actually played better than Coples, Upshaw, Curry, Irvin (or even Mercilus and Perry). So whatever evaluation Mayock has done to have Jones leapfrog the rest of the DE class, it wasn't from watching tape.

Beware the player who rises up the board in shorts and singlet season.

He knocked Jenkins out, too. And he's right. Those guys will be drafted lower than their talent level would suggest.

Agreed and some team is gonna score big time, or the player could score big time in his new city and be bounced. A roll of the bones that Mr. Bob don't cop to.

Damn shame. If I had the talent those kids have my cleats would always be spotless and my nose (read urine) would be clean anytime anyone wanted to check.

Pitiful.

Damn shame.
It is. Forget about how you might feel about smoking dope. I don't (anymore), but I certainly don't belive it should be illegal. But, it is illegal. And it's against the rules that NFL players have to abide by. For a young kid to not be able to stay off the stuff with a NFL job on the line is like burning a winning lottery ticket. Unfathomable.

He has done NOTHING to deserve the attention he is getting. He is so slow off the line he will never be considered a top 20 pass rusher. BUST in the making!

Badboy, rmartin65 & myself came to this conclusion weeks ago. Nobody knows their team better than it's own fans :fans:

Agreed and some team is gonna score big time, or the player could score big time in his new city and be bounced. A roll of the bones that Mr. Bob don't cop to.

Damn shame. If I had the talent those kids have my cleats would always be spotless and my nose (read urine) would be clean anytime anyone wanted to check.

Pitiful.
What you have between your ears is different 23. These types have often been coddled, gotten into trouble for rule or law violations and allowed to not suffer. I think it is a responsibility issue.

Back