Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 02-15-2012   #1
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected
Default ESPN Removes Jaws from MNF

Geez, imo, Jaws was the better of the three. They're saying it's a promotion. MNF's going downhill fast imo. Gruden and Tirico? Pffft! Good grief

Quote:
ESPN issued a press release on Wednesday entitled: “Ron Jaworski signs five-year extension for new, expanded multiplatform analyst role.”

They buried the lede.

Jaworski’s expanded role won’t include the job he’s most famous for: Monday Night Football. ESPN is moving to a two-man booth in 2012: Jon Gruden and Mike Tirico.
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-night-booth/
Old 02-15-2012   #2
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: ESPN Removes Jaws from MNF

Jaws was the guy that gave you great insight. Now they are letting him go. What are they going to do now? Bring in Theisman? OH!!!!!
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #3
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by El Tejano View Post
Jaws was the guy that gave you great insight. Now they are letting him go. What are they going to do now? Bring in Theisman? OH!!!!!
They're going with just Gruden and Tirico. I'm not sure which is worse. ESPN's a joke and MNF is right there with them for the ride.
Old 02-15-2012   #4
srrono
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 21340 srrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respectedsrrono is a quality contributor and well respected

Damn I like Jaws well I gues they will bring in a stand up comic or something.
srrono is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #5
JWarren14
Beer Me

Section: 516 Row B
Rep Power: 844 JWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respectedJWarren14 is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to JWarren14

Is it just me, or are there very few play-by-play/color commentators that are actually good?

I wish there was an option to select audio from home or away radio partners, a Fan Zone type deal, and then the ESPN crew.
Old 02-15-2012   #6
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

Sunday night football has turned into more of the more marquee game over the years. I don't know if I'd rather the Texans play on Sunday nights than Monday nights. I liked Jaws too. He is his best on that NFL Matchup show he does with Hodge (I don't care much for Hodge though).

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-15-2012   #7
Dread-Head
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 120414 Dread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respectedDread-Head is a quality contributor and well respected

Didn't he drop a HUGE F bomb on the air earlier this year?
"Why attack a man for his race or religion when there are so many other PERFECTLY good reasons?" :Dreademiah 2:16 Dread-Head. Texan from DAY ONE & PROUD Honorary Blue Crew member..."Damn it Bill!"
Dread-Head is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-15-2012   #8
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dread-Head View Post
Didn't he drop a HUGE F bomb on the air earlier this year?
I thought it was "sh-t"
Old 02-15-2012   #9
Blake
MMQB

Section: 551
Rep Power: 72046 Blake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respectedBlake is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWarren14 View Post
Is it just me, or are there very few play-by-play/color commentators that are actually good?

I wish there was an option to select audio from home or away radio partners, a Fan Zone type deal, and then the ESPN crew.
I am going to try and pump the radio feed in for audio, and just mute the TV.
Blake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #10
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

I think this is more like "ESPN Promotes Jaworski, Removes Him From Painfully Bad MNF Obligations."

He might have decided if he was staying, he was done with the MNF gig. It's not that big of a deal anymore. Everybody's watching the new NBC show "Smash" on Monday nights now anyways.
Old 02-16-2012   #11
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

He's going to be seen more than he used to on ESPN. Basically he traded in his color commentary job that always required him moving around the Country constantly to a studio job where he doesn't have so much travel.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #12
pbat488
gig 'em

Rep Power: 12913 pbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respectedpbat488 is a quality contributor and well respected

MNF has sucked for a while now. ESPN as a whole is just getting worse and worse.

title is kinda misleading though true. removes seems a bit strong.
pbat488 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2012   #13
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

I like Jaws, but he has an inflection in his voice that annoys the crap out of me. It's that ending - the "EPSN lisp" - that he does with all his statements. It's really noticeable when he's in the booth. It's the way he ends his points, like he's been trained by the ESPN Broadcast School to mimic their corporate statement, because most of the reporters on the station do the same thing.

Just nitpicking on my part, though. I'd rather he stay with the MNF crew, because his absence will just make Gruden more of a QB-lusting egomaniac.
Old 02-19-2012   #14
drs23 
Veteran

Section: No more VIP suite so back to the recliner
Rep Power: 78264 drs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respecteddrs23 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Double Barrel View Post
I like Jaws, but he has an inflection in his voice that annoys the crap out of me. It's that ending - the "EPSN lisp" - that he does with all his statements. It's really noticeable when he's in the booth. It's the way he ends his points, like he's been trained by the ESPN Broadcast School to mimic their corporate statement, because most of the reporters on the station do the same thing.

Just nitpicking on my part, though. I'd rather he stay with the MNF crew, because his absence will just make Gruden more of a QB-lusting egomaniac.
I wondered if it was just me but I guess not. Jaws knows his business as far as football goes but that voice inflection thing drives me up the wall. He only does it when he's calling the games and it's given me a rash since day one.

Best wishes for Jaws in his new role.

Many thanks to sig Guru FS!

Sent from my keyboard using short, fat fingers.
drs23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #15
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 216695 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Geez, imo, Jaws was the better of the three. They're saying it's a promotion. MNF's going downhill fast imo. Gruden and Tirico? Pffft! Good grief

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com...y-night-booth/
I can't stand Jaws..... I'm surprised he's managed to stay this long. I didn't think he & Chucky meshed & I prefer Gruden, because he knows what he's talking about.
Old 02-19-2012   #16
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

I don't mind this. Two man booth is better and I like Chucky more than Jaws. More entertaining on TV.

MNF had record low ratings late year, so I wonder if that had anything to do with this decision. Although I think the ratings may have more to do with the teams they chose rather than the announcing crew...there were some bad games this past season.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #17
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

If the problem was Jaws, wouldn't they replace him instead of making him the odd-man out with a reduction to a 2-man team ? Chucky is the star and Trico is the play-by-play guy so they stay and
Jaws is just the unfortunate victim of some Producers concept for the shows new format.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #18
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

For me. It is how Jaws speaks. In short. Sentences.

The old David Anderson parody video, that DA did of Jaws, is priceless. Searched YouTube and couldn't find it, though.
Old 02-19-2012   #19
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
For me. It is how Jaws speaks. In short. Sentences.

The old David Anderson parody video, that DA did of Jaws, is priceless. Searched YouTube and couldn't find it, though.
I haven't heard of that but I think I found it. It's pretty funny!

http://www.justin.tv/chancekear/b/259291518

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2012   #20
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I like the picture and crew much better on SNF anyway.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read