Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012   #161
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan comeing up in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
I'm saying it's the whole ball of wax, not merely the one thing that posters point to.

Some say he wouldn't be a fit for the offense. Some say he might get hurt and that'd be the end of Manning forever. Some say Kubiak wouldn't kick Schaub to the curb and let him sit back and watch the Texans be QB'd by #18.

It's everything all rolled into one: But the thing that matters the most is that this team has cohesion and unity, and bringing in a guy like Manning--right now, for where we're at--would be a Rex Ryan-type of move. It would scream desperation, as if THAT'S the free agency move that puts us over the top. Moreover, it says Kubiak has said "To heck with developing QBs, I'm just going to kick back and let Peyton do his thing." VY didn't land here for that very reason, btw.

It's not a backhanded comment for me to say that Manning would mess up the mojo we have going on here. It's actually a compliment. See, Peyton cares more about winning and matching Eli's rings than he does about the other variables involved in being a team leader. I'd be worried about a guy like that; a guy who covets the big prize soooooo much that he might forget that there are 51 other guys who have a stake in things and are men of honor and integrity, too. I'd be worried that Manning tries to take the team on his back and becomes an imploding doomsday device for whatever team he's QB'ing.

We didn't need Favre for that, and we don't need Manning for that either. Let the desperate teams like the Redskins go "all in" for Manning, throwing their lot in with #18 to try and make a winning team out of it. It's exactly the type of thing a guy like Daniel Snyder does, btw. And it never works.

"We're trying to catch guys on their way UP, not give out contracts to guys who are in decline and looking for one last payday" -- paraphrased quote from, IIRC, one or two off-seasons ago when McNair, Smith, and Kubiak united to respond about what types of players they wanted to bring in for high-profile positions. I don't see why they deviate from that plan all of a sudden, regardless of the HOF status Manning has achieved already.

Kubiak is all about building a McNair-type of team: Long-term guys, no slash-and-burn tactics where everybody fears their safety rather than focusing on becoming better players instead, etc. I am only saying that I don't think Kubiak is the type of guy who would bring in Manning right now. Yeah, I know, it's Peyton Manning. Trust me, we have ALL flirted with the "What if???" scenarios in our heads about Manning leading us to 3 straight SB titles in '12, '13 and '14.

But honestly, I don't see the reward outweighing the risk. We're really, really close to being a 4 or 5-year type of dominating team here. And I think Yates, and more draft picks on QB over these next few years, will be the way Kubiak goes about that business.

The Manning idea has too many moving parts, and they don't match up with the gears and sprockets of the Texans. In my opinion.

I hear what you're saying and agree with certain aspects of it. Its a huge risk to sign Manning at this point where he's at. Its also a huge risk to go into next season with Scaub, Yates, and an added QB who's not proven. I don't really know that Yates is a long term answer at QB like most people here.

We're really in a tough position. If Schaub isn't healthy to start the season then there is a good possibility depending on the schedule that we may be out of playoff contention by the time he comes back. We'd be banking on a lot of things with Yates calling the shots.

I would just hope that this organization doesn't seriously have that mentality though when it comes to guys who are win at all cost type of players. I seriously think this team could really take the next jump with a guy with Manning's approach to the game. But I see where you're coming from though.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #162
Nawzer
Alienz

Rep Power: 23636 Nawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respectedNawzer is a quality contributor and well respected

This thread is 9 pages long! Awesome!
Old 02-14-2012   #163
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think the best we could get from the Pats for Mario is a 2nd. They seem to only trade for bargains, they gave up a 5th and 6th for Ochocinco, a 5th for Haynesworth, a 4th for Deion Branch. Granted none of those guys are on Mario's level, but you don't see them giving up premium picks for anyone. A 2nd is better than maybe getting a comp 3rd.

I would have no problem taking Decastro at #8, but if we re-sign Myers and Brisiel, there's no need to use that pick on him. If we lose Mario, then I think we need a pass rusher in the 1st. We also need a WR there too, which is why Floyd would work too. Floyd and Curry with 8 and 26, or Ingram and Wright/Sanu in the other case would be good.
OooRaaah!
Old 02-14-2012   #164
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 62963 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

Just imagine looking in the Gameday program at Reliant next season, and seeing this...

I see there are quite a few folks here that want to bring in Peyton, (I'm not one BTW) this is for you.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #165
SAMURAITEXAN 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 19322 SAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedSAMURAITEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
Here is a good thing that comes out of Manning though.

We all know that TJ is the future starter for the texans. With manning there he can teach Yates, and yates may benefit from it.

Who knows though.
TJ did attend Manning's QB camp. So, TJ will be more than happy to learn from Manning.

Go Texans!!!
SAMURAITEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #166
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I would have no problem taking Decastro at #8, but if we re-sign Myers and Brisiel, there's no need to use that pick on him. If we lose Mario, then I think we need a pass rusher in the 1st. We also need a WR there too, which is why Floyd would work too. Floyd and Curry with 8 and 26, or Ingram and Wright/Sanu in the other case would be good.
I agree with you that the Texans could use a passrusher or a WR. I am a little wary of Floyd as he reminds me too much of Kenny Britt. Ingram would be a great pass rushing option and combining him with a Sanu would be great.

BUT, I see DeCastro as the second coming of Steve Hutchinson. Hutch was a 7 time Probowler, a 5 time All Pro who was pivotal in the emergence of the Seattle and Viking running game. When he was there the Seahawk running attack was #3. When he left #26. Adding an OG of DeCastro's ability would tremendously improve the offense. He could create massive holes for the RB, pass block to keep the QB safe, and make that all important block downfield at the second level. He is much better then any OG the Texans currently have and would be in the discussion for top OG in the league the second he steps on the field.

I have DeCastro as the #1 prospect on my Big board and i think his value is too much to pass up.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #167
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
28 Million reasons that Manning being released is a topic of discussion.
I'll see your $28M and raise you a #8 overall pick and QB w a jacked up foot.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-14-2012   #168
RagingBull
Hall of Shame

Rep Power: 3846 RagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respectedRagingBull is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
It would be like Hans Solo telling Darth Vader, "You know what? What the hell, Darth. Come on over and play on our team. Yay!" No way.
WELLLLL...

Darth Vader did kill the Emporer at the end. So Darth did end up playing for the good guys in the end...
RagingBull is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #169
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 104108 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

Schaub wasn't worth a #8 overall pick in 2007 and now coming off season ending surgery with a jacked up foot and older he's worth it? hahaha

Quote:
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
Old 02-14-2012   #170
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Well, that's it, without Manning the Texans will be 2-14 next year.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #171
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 27592 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Well, that's it, without Manning the Texans will be 2-14 next year.

I think the major overreaction is coming from your direction. I don't see anyone who's said that would even be close to the case.
Old 02-14-2012   #172
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Rep Power: 208960 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

My attempt at humor has failed.

Old 02-14-2012   #173
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
My attempt at humor has failed.
Not quite, but I've seen your posts on the thread about the subject so it seems the topic really gets under your skin.
Old 02-14-2012   #174
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Not quite, but I've seen your posts on the thread about the subject so it seems the topic really gets under your skin.
Not really, the only thing that really bothers me is folks that actually think it might happen. But I've made many more outlandish predictions than this.

Although, I suppose if you somehow combined Manning and Global Warming you'd peak my interest fairly quickly.

Old 02-14-2012   #175
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Not really, the only thing that really bothers me is folks that actually think it might happen. But I've made many more outlandish predictions than this.

Although, I suppose if you somehow combined Manning and Global Warming you'd peak my interest fairly quickly.

Lol, yeah I can understand that. Its fun to think about, but the likelihood of it happening is about 5% for a lot of different reasons. Many of which GP already outlined in an earlier post.
Old 02-14-2012   #176
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
Lol, yeah I can understand that. Its fun to think about, but the likelihood of it happening is about 5% for a lot of different reasons. Many of which GP already outlined in an earlier post.
I think 5% is a pretty reasonable estimate considering how many factors are in play here.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #177
EllisUnit
Homerism Champ

Section: 2" from the TV, Screaming.
Rep Power: 70974 EllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respectedEllisUnit is a quality contributor and well respected

this is why i dont hang out on the boards much during the off season. We cant sign Mario to a contract due to the cap, and now people expect us to sign Manning.

Why woould some of yall want the texans to sign him anyways ? Hell we had a superbowl team last season with TJ yates at the helm. Imagine if it had been Matt Schaub, leave well enough alone, sign a good #2 WR and a possible CB, plus the draft and call it good. Why waste money where its not needed ?
Old 02-14-2012   #178
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by EllisUnit View Post
this is why i dont hang out on the boards much during the off season. We cant sign Mario to a contract due to the cap, and now people expect us to sign Manning.

Why woould some of yall want the texans to sign him anyways ? Hell we had a superbowl team last season with TJ yates at the helm. Imagine if it had been Matt Schaub, leave well enough alone, sign a good #2 WR and a possible CB, plus the draft and call it good. Why waste money where its not needed ?
Hate to be technical but we did not have a SB team this year. Unless we traded franchises, which would be news to me.

Quote:
Old 02-14-2012   #179
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 123706 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by PapaL View Post
Schaub wasn't worth a #8 overall pick in 2007 and now coming off season ending surgery with a jacked up foot and older he's worth it? hahaha
Washington desperately needs a starting QB and probably have no way to get one in draft that can start day one. Their owner has history of taking chances & spending tremendous amounts of money.
The coaches know and have worked with Schaub and the offensive scheme is similar. So an 8th is steep but one I'd take for Matt & if I were Shanny prob be willing to give for a starting QB.
In 2007 Matt had minimal experience now he is considered a top 10 QB.
Old 02-14-2012   #180
PapaL
Loose Screw

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Washington desperately needs a starting QB and probably have no way to get one in draft that can start day one. Their owner has history of taking chances & spending tremendous amounts of money.
The coaches know and have worked with Schaub and the offensive scheme is similar. So an 8th is steep but one I'd take for Matt & if I were Shanny prob be willing to give for a starting QB.
In 2007 Matt had minimal experience now he is considered a top 10 QB.
Is he top 10 in his motorized scooter? Hypothetically at best we're talking the 40th pick or next years 2nd that could be bumped up to 1st.

Facts are when he's hurt, he's down for awhile. He has zero playoff experience. He's prone to making mistakes at crunch time. AJ makes him look better, they have no one in the same realm as AJ. Schaub is a product of the system ala Jake Plummer and not John Elway. Let's be honest here. A 1st for Schaub is a Madden trade.

Quote:

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read