Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-14-2012   #141
gtexan02
Working?

Rep Power: 58645 gtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respectedgtexan02 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan comeing up in sports

If he signed here, would he be our first HOFer?
Old 02-14-2012   #142
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Runner View Post
It would be worth picking up Manning just to watch Kubiak's head explode when Kubes sends the punt team onto the field on 4th and 5 and Manning sends it right back to the bench.
Kubiak would throw the red challenge flag.

Steve Tasker: "Whats he doing, Gus?"

Gus Johnson: "I don't think I've ever seen this before. A head coach has thrown the challenge flag on his own quarterback."

Steve: "Amazing. Kubiak's going to waste a timeout here. No way the ref overturns THIS call by Manning."
Old 02-14-2012   #143
Doppelganger
None

Rep Power: 38282 Doppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respectedDoppelganger is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I can see a trade happening after pick #2. If Cleveland trades up to get RG3 theer is absolutely no other way to go for a QB of Matt Schaub's stats. I also think Cleveland would be forced to give St.Louis their second first round which should also benefit Texans. Rumor is Cleveland would select Wright but if they lose both firsts to St Louis that would assist us. I was up half the night creating scenarios of Manning to Houston Schaub to SKins for #8 and then trading down from #8 to maybe Bengals?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
Don't trade back from 8, just pick Melvin Ingram. That is assuming we don't re-sign Mario of course. Otherwise, a slight trade back and take Michael Floyd could work, or just take Floyd at 8. Works for me.
If we are #8, I would do a slight trade back (to say 10 or 11) and grab David DeCastro. He starts as an OG from Day 1 and is miles ahead of Briesel or Wade Smith.

Sig made by False Start in 2010.

Adopt a Texan 2011-Present: Duyen.
Doppelganger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #144
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wade_Phillips
my parents changed the channel if you could update us it would be apprichated
Fixed it.
Old 02-14-2012   #145
djohn2oo8
Veteran

Rep Power: 5520 djohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respecteddjohn2oo8 is a quality contributor and well respected

Give me Manning and Reggie Wayne, and it's game over.
djohn2oo8 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #146
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassHalfFull View Post
This thread exists on 30 other message boards.....

Just like the Mario one exists on 31 other mbs.

Well i started it!
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #147
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by djohn2oo8 View Post
Give me Manning and Reggie Wayne, and it's game over.
Maybe 3 or 4 years ago it would have been.

The paths are diverging, IMO. We're taking over the AFC South at a time when Manning is departing (for good) and Wayne is aging and looking at a new head coach, rookie QB in Andrew Luck, and possible losses on the defense that make the Colts as vulnerable in 2012 as they were in 2011.

I think it's nice to envision it, but I don't think it equates to reality. For me, it's nice to know that the Colts have had a bucket of water thrown on them and they've melted like the wicked witch of the east did in the Wizard of Oz. And all of Oz celebrated. Yay!

The key phrase has been "there's a lot of moving parts here..." The moving parts include:

1. Kubiak's history of being VERY loyal to his players, especially the QB. Schaub missed out on the Super Bowl in 2011, and he's in his final contract year in 2012. Doesn't look like a "Kubiak move" to shaft him in favor of #18.

2. We didn't go after Brett Favre a few seasons back. We won't go after his reincarnated self (Manning) either.

3. Manning is not in a neck brace, he's been cleared, etc., but can he make all the throws and do so for a long period of time, accurately, etc.?

4. #18 says he wants to build an incentive-based deal, but seriously....what does that look like? What are the numbers? What triggers the bonus money, and will any of that include roster bonuses for 2013, etc., placing Houston in a bind if he limps through 2012 and we really don't want him in 2013.

5. We built this team to take down the Colts. Mission accomplished, whether by our own doing or the Colts' own doing is irrelevant. Mission accomplished. So why do we let the guy skip over to Houston and let him get to eat his cake, too? I still remember the Colts laying down for the Titans several seasons ago and it let the Titans into the playoffs. That struck a nerve with me then, and it does NOW when I think about Daddy Darth Vader trying to come here and play nice with us all of a sudden. Hit the road, a-hole. Thanks for the memories.

6. I can only imagine an animated Manning on the Texans sideline, trying to chew the asses of guys like Myers, Winston, Brown, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Arian Foster, etc. I bet that would go over like a lead balloon. He'd lose the team in the first three games of the 2012 season...unless he led the team to huge blowout wins those first few games. The potential for disaster outweighs the reward, IMO.

It's been fun to think MAYBE #18 wants us. It was nice when Bill Cowher wanted us, too. I actually enjoyed the 2011 season because we did it without Cowher, whom I was in favor of bringing in by the way, and we can do 2012 without P. Manning, as well.

I will say this: IF the Texans made this happen, it would definitely make for an entertaining off-season, camp, preseason, and first few games of reg season.
Old 02-14-2012   #148
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marcus View Post
I guess you haven't been reading my posts where I say that he won't.
SHould have clarified my post was directed at board and not you specifically. People are questioning Peyton's health but not Matt's and which of the two has been medically cleared?
Old 02-14-2012   #149
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 141276 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
If we are #8, I would do a slight trade back (to say 10 or 11) and grab David DeCastro. He starts as an OG from Day 1 and is miles ahead of Briesel or Wade Smith.
I want two firsts for #8 and Bengal's makes most sense. I think Decastro or Ingram could be there but there are several options. I still want a one and a two for Mario from New England. One of the radio stations this afternoon thought NE was perfect fit for Mario.

#17, # 21, #31 & #63 + our own #26. We can draft em or trade the picks.
Old 02-14-2012   #150
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
SHould have clarified my post was directed at board and not you specifically. People are questioning Peyton's health but not Matt's and which of the two has been medically cleared?
Furthermore, I think many players have recovered and gone on to play several more seasons with Manning's type of injury. Can't say the same for the injury Schaub has.

I don't think either of those guys can be the answer here. Manning's downfall will be the history he has with us in the AFCS, the 8 or 9 years of dominating us and now wanting us to pick him up when he's down--No way in hell will Kubiak bring him in NOW, it's not a fit from a team culture standpoint. Schaub's downfall is his injury and what that has historically looked like upon a player's return from it.

Personally, I think Kubiak gambles that Yates can have a full off-season, a full camp as QB1, a full preseason and practices as QB1, and upgrade a few things via draft and free agency, and it ends up better than 2011 for us.
Old 02-14-2012   #151
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Furthermore, I think many players have recovered and gone on to play several more seasons with Manning's type of injury. Can't say the same for the injury Schaub has.

I don't think either of those guys can be the answer here. Manning's downfall will be the history he has with us in the AFCS, the 8 or 9 years of dominating us and now wanting us to pick him up when he's down--No way in hell will Kubiak bring him in NOW, it's not a fit from a team culture standpoint. Schaub's downfall is his injury and what that has historically looked like upon a player's return from it.

Personally, I think Kubiak gambles that Yates can have a full off-season, a full camp as QB1, a full preseason and practices as QB1, and upgrade a few things via draft and free agency, and it ends up better than 2011 for us.
GP, I respect the hell out of you but what does that say about the Texans if we feel like a 4 time MVP who's been to the playoffs every year pretty much doesn't fit the culture here? I think that speaks more negatively towards the Texans than it does Peyton.

So are we now going to start passing on fiery QB's in the future who push their teammates to be better and instead get passing guys to lead the offense and pat them on the butt and whisper sweet nothings to them when they mess up? I love Tom Brady, Ben Ben, Brees, pretty much every other QB in the league because they're fiery killers on the field and on the sideline. Are we saying our laid back approach is not a fit for the mentality of most great QBs? If that's the case then I would feel sorry for our future under Kubiak.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #152
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

What qb's has kubiak been "very loyal to"? Carr? Sage? Orvlosky? That one guy? Brinks? Zabransky? That other guy? I think some of these kubiakisms are overstated. I think he will do what it takes to win, whatever that may be.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #153
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 59425 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Sorry, but I love me some 6'5 QB with a laser rocket arm...

broke neck or not....

Ohhh, uh oh, it's Fitzmagic!....
BullNation4Life is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #154
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Umm we never took down the colts we went 1-1 with them last year .......

Remember DanO and "REGGIE WAYNE" beat us

and two years ago @indy MNF With peyton manning world watchin 30-17 beat us by like 2 scores Colts beat us again

so IMO we never took down the colts Manning took down the colts

and i hope around this time of the year next year if manning goes back to the colts and sweeps us again thus taking us out of the playoffs just for not getting him when he wanted to come here i can see it now........

then what will yall have to say
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #155
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
6. I can only imagine an animated Manning on the Texans sideline, trying to chew the asses of guys like Myers, Winston, Brown, Andre Johnson, Owen Daniels, Arian Foster, etc. I bet that would go over like a lead balloon. He'd lose the team in the first three games of the 2012 season...unless he led the team to huge blowout wins those first few games. The potential for disaster outweighs the reward, IMO.
I see your points of view except on this one. Yeah, Manning would chew out his players at times, but I don't recall ever hearing about him losing the team. I highly doubt that would happen here. Sometimes, depending on the flow of the game, guys deserve to get their asses chewed, but it's not as if Manning does it on purpose just for the hell of it.

If Manning were to come here (and I highly doubt it), I doubt any of our players would get offended by being yelled at by a HOF QB. He's not a primadonna.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #156
Grams 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 23727 Grams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respectedGrams is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
Sorry, but I love me some 6'5 QB with a laser rocket arm...

broke neck or not....
Problem is - it is not the neck - it is the nerves in that "laser rocket" arm.
It just might turn out to be "jellyfish" arm.
Old 02-14-2012   #157
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 11489 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2012   #158
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texn4life View Post
GP, I respect the hell out of you but what does that say about the Texans if we feel like a 4 time MVP who's been to the playoffs every year pretty much doesn't fit the culture here? I think that speaks more negatively towards the Texans than it does Peyton.

So are we now going to start passing on fiery QB's in the future who push their teammates to be better and instead get passing guys to lead the offense and pat them on the butt and whisper sweet nothings to them when they mess up? I love Tom Brady, Ben Ben, Brees, pretty much every other QB in the league because they're fiery killers on the field and on the sideline. Are we saying out laid back approach is not a fit for the mentality of most great QBs? If that's the case then I would feel sorry for our future under Kubiak.
I'm saying it's the whole ball of wax, not merely the one thing that posters point to.

Some say he wouldn't be a fit for the offense. Some say he might get hurt and that'd be the end of Manning forever. Some say Kubiak wouldn't kick Schaub to the curb and let him sit back and watch the Texans be QB'd by #18.

It's everything all rolled into one: But the thing that matters the most is that this team has cohesion and unity, and bringing in a guy like Manning--right now, for where we're at--would be a Rex Ryan-type of move. It would scream desperation, as if THAT'S the free agency move that puts us over the top. Moreover, it says Kubiak has said "To heck with developing QBs, I'm just going to kick back and let Peyton do his thing." VY didn't land here for that very reason, btw.

It's not a backhanded comment for me to say that Manning would mess up the mojo we have going on here. It's actually a compliment. See, Peyton cares more about winning and matching Eli's rings than he does about the other variables involved in being a team leader. I'd be worried about a guy like that; a guy who covets the big prize soooooo much that he might forget that there are 51 other guys who have a stake in things and are men of honor and integrity, too. I'd be worried that Manning tries to take the team on his back and becomes an imploding doomsday device for whatever team he's QB'ing.

We didn't need Favre for that, and we don't need Manning for that either. Let the desperate teams like the Redskins go "all in" for Manning, throwing their lot in with #18 to try and make a winning team out of it. It's exactly the type of thing a guy like Daniel Snyder does, btw. And it never works.

"We're trying to catch guys on their way UP, not give out contracts to guys who are in decline and looking for one last payday" -- paraphrased quote from, IIRC, one or two off-seasons ago when McNair, Smith, and Kubiak united to respond about what types of players they wanted to bring in for high-profile positions. I don't see why they deviate from that plan all of a sudden, regardless of the HOF status Manning has achieved already.

Kubiak is all about building a McNair-type of team: Long-term guys, no slash-and-burn tactics where everybody fears their safety rather than focusing on becoming better players instead, etc. I am only saying that I don't think Kubiak is the type of guy who would bring in Manning right now. Yeah, I know, it's Peyton Manning. Trust me, we have ALL flirted with the "What if???" scenarios in our heads about Manning leading us to 3 straight SB titles in '12, '13 and '14.

But honestly, I don't see the reward outweighing the risk. We're really, really close to being a 4 or 5-year type of dominating team here. And I think Yates, and more draft picks on QB over these next few years, will be the way Kubiak goes about that business.

The Manning idea has too many moving parts, and they don't match up with the gears and sprockets of the Texans. In my opinion.
Old 02-14-2012   #159
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norg View Post
I didn't notice the scooter there. I thought that was Schaub rolling out on a bootleg play.

Old 02-14-2012   #160
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I want two firsts for #8 and Bengal's makes most sense. I think Decastro or Ingram could be there but there are several options. I still want a one and a two for Mario from New England. One of the radio stations this afternoon thought NE was perfect fit for Mario.

#17, # 21, #31 & #63 + our own #26. We can draft em or trade the picks.
I think the best we could get from the Pats for Mario is a 2nd. They seem to only trade for bargains, they gave up a 5th and 6th for Ochocinco, a 5th for Haynesworth, a 4th for Deion Branch. Granted none of those guys are on Mario's level, but you don't see them giving up premium picks for anyone. A 2nd is better than maybe getting a comp 3rd.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Doppelganger View Post
I would have no problem taking Decastro at #8, but if we re-sign Myers and Brisiel, there's no need to use that pick on him. If we lose Mario, then I think we need a pass rusher in the 1st. We also need a WR there too, which is why Floyd would work too. Floyd and Curry with 8 and 26, or Ingram and Wright/Sanu in the other case would be good.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read