Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan coming up in sports

Of course Peyton Manning would want to play with a team loaded with great talent on both sides of the ball. What are his other options right now? All I'm hearing are the Cardinals and Seahawks that want him the most. Hmm, Texans, Cardinals or Seahawks? Peyton would pick the Texans over most teams but I just can't imagine it happening unless Schaub has some type of serious health setback with his foot. I've got it on ABC 13 and awaiting the sports segment.

Peyton has an interest in possibily coming to Houston. Didn't his father once briefly play for the Houston Oilers? Yep, just heard Bob Allen say it. It's coming up next on ABC 13. So this isn't a troll thread. Wow, legitimate news to say the last.

Peyton has an interest in possibily coming to Houston. Didn't his father once briefly play for the Houston Oilers? Yep, just heard Bob Allen say it. It's coming up next on ABC 13. So this isn't a troll thread. Wow, legitimate news to say the last.

my parents changed the channel if you could update us it would be apprichated

S**t in one hand and throw millions in another and see what fills up first ...not saying it wouldnt be nice, just a ratings game With the TV on that

I called my grandfather on the phone for the past 10 minutes after I watched the segment. It's huge news to say the least. Basically Bob Allen talked to a close friend with the Manning family that said Peyton has a strong interest in playing with the Texans. He's a great competitor and wants to match Eli Manning with two Super Bowl wins. Peyton feels the Texans have all the parts to win the Super Bowl and he would have more incentive to stay in the AFC South so he can beat up on the Colts twice a year. Something to follow over the next few weeks. It's expected that the Colts will release him some time during next month.

Bob pretty much said he heard from someone close to Peyton that he would definitely consider coming to Houston. Says he wants another ring (especially now that Eli has 2) and that he wouldn't mind playing against Irsay twice a year. A lot of moving parts obviously with his health, cap situation, Schaub, etc. I still don't think there is a snowballs chance fwiw.

Of course Peyton Manning would want to play with a team loaded with great talent on both sides of the ball. What are his other options right now? All I'm hearing are the Cardinals and Seahawks that want him the most. Hmm, Texans, Cardinals or Seahawks? Peyton would pick the Texans over most teams but I just can't imagine it happening unless Schaub has some type of serious health setback with his foot. I've got it on ABC 13 and awaiting the sports segment.

Don't want him.
Don't need him.

Love it, though. The worm has turned. We are a desired spot for veterans interested in success.

A close friend said that he has some interest in Houston but I don't think it will happen.

S**t in one hand and throw millions in another and see what fills up first ...not saying it wouldnt be nice, just a ratings game With the TV on that
It can definitely happen. But man, I'd hate to just sell out Schaub so fast. Although a healthy Peyton Manning is a top three quarterback in the game. Schaub on his best days barely breaks the bottom half of the top ten. The tough part is both Manning and Schaub are still hurt right now. Neither is ready to take a snap in a live game as I type this.

This is going to be a wait and see approach either way you look at it. I wouldn't rule it out at all but I agree with the previous posters that it's likely a long shot. What if Schaub has a freak accident taking a shower and re-injures that foot? Then it becomes a better chance because of Peyton's interest in playing for Houston.

Well as cool as having Peyton would be, you need to wonder if he will be the same manning. Not in the sense of his play, but more in the sense of will he try and control the game? We all know Gary is the guy making the calls. Will Manning be willing to do that, or hand it off. He has played 10+ years with almost no run game to speak of, he is used to passing the ball. Will he listen to Kubiak? Or will he do what he wants which will lead to a very ugly scene for our organization....

HOUSTON (KTRK) -- Here's what I heard and this could be very interesting with a lot of moving parts.

Someone I know who is close friends with the Manning family says Peyton is definitely interested in possibly coming to the Texans. Peyton will be released by the Colts early next month and will be a free agent. The person who knows the Mannings says Peyton wants to play on a team that has a chance of going to a Super Bowl, and the Texans fit that description.

Another big plus is that the Texans are in the Colts division. Manning not only knows the division, but I'm told the relationship between him and Colts owner Robert Irsay now is strictly business. And don't underplay the competitiveness between Peyton and Eli -- it "does" matter that Eli has two Super Bowl rings to his one.

This is one that won't be played out publicly; we won't be hearing anything from Manning or the Texans unless something does happen.

A big factor is Peyton's arm strength and right now he's still not back to what he was, but it's early. And then there's Matt Schaub to factor in as well.

All that aside, be it a long shot or reality, I know for a fact that he does have a definite interest in the Texans.

http://abclocal.go.com/ktrk/story?s...tball&id=8542447&rss=rss-ktrk-article-8542447

Here is a good thing that comes out of Manning though.

We all know that TJ is the future starter for the texans. With manning there he can teach Yates, and yates may benefit from it.

Who knows though.

Yup!! He played in like 8 games over two seasons before moving on to Minnesota.

I would not be mad if Manning came here but I am not sure that I would be as excited as I once would be just because of his injury.

So I guess now the question is whether the Texans have any interest in Manning? My guess is no due to the offense Kubiak runs. He and Dennison call the plays, have certain audibles for each play, etc. Manning had full control of that offense in Indy. He had the power to change plays at the line, something which Schaub doesn't here (or at least not as much as Peyton did). But Kubiak is the QB guru and if he thinks Manning could fit in his offense...well I'd be intrigued by the idea.

Also, what art the chances this thread grows faster than the Eric Moulds thread a few years back?

The biggest risk of going for Manning would be that it would essentially end Schaub's career as a Texan. Would getting Manning for 2-3 years be worth losing Schaub? I would lean towards yes, but I can see how many would rather not. Obviously if either don't/can't return to full health then this conversation would be completely different anyway.

I remember people Drew Brees wouldn't be successful after his rotator cuff injury. Having watched Manning, the dude is money. He might be damaged right now but he will be back.

Pay The Man, Rick.

No thanks.
We have a great team right now and lots of young stars.

No need to mortgage the future to try get minor leg up in the present.

No thanks.
We have a great team right now and lots of young stars.

No need to mortgage the future to try get minor leg up in the present.

Serious question: In what way do you think it will mortgage the future? Obviously if he wants a huge payday then it would, but I don't think he will be looking for that. If we had Peyton for 2-3 years and were able to trade Schuab for some draft picks then I would have to think we would be a little bit ahead of where we were previously. With Peyton we would also have TJ (or a new QB acquired through the draft) learning behind a great.

Serious question: In what way do you think it will mortgage the future? Obviously if he wants a huge payday then it would, but I don't think he will be looking for that. If we had Peyton for 2-3 years and were able to trade Schuab for some draft picks then I would have to think we would be a little bit ahead of where we were previously. With Peyton we would also have TJ (or a new QB acquired through the draft) learning behind a great.

He's going to demand some serious money, which means we'd have to trade or release one of our better players. Schaub is a good QB and knows this system. Peyton would come in and have to learn the system and no one knows if he can do well in Kubiak's offense. And then there is the question if he will be able to last a season with his neck injury.

3 years ago, I think everyone mortgages their house, car, and kids to get Peyton. Today, I really think the Texans should pass and continue to build with what they have and through the draft. We are in the AFC championship game or even the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. We have the same pieces coming back and I think we make a big splash next year if we just sign our vets, draft well and stand pat without any major shakeups.

So I guess now the question is whether the Texans have any interest in Manning? My guess is no due to the offense Kubiak runs. He and Dennison call the plays, have certain audibles for each play, etc. Manning had full control of that offense in Indy. He had the power to change plays at the line, something which Schaub doesn't here (or at least not as much as Peyton did). But Kubiak is the QB guru and if he thinks Manning could fit in his offense...well I'd be intrigued by the idea.

Also, what art the chances this thread grows faster than the Eric Moulds thread a few years back?

I don't think that Gary would do this even if Peyton was willing. Peyton would steal his thunder.

He's going to demand some serious money, which means we'd have to trade or release one of our better players. Schaub is a good QB and knows this system. Peyton would come in and have to learn the system and no one knows if he can do well in Kubiak's offense. And then there is the question if he will be able to last a season with his neck injury.

3 years ago, I think everyone mortgages their house, car, and kids to get Peyton. Today, I really think the Texans should pass and continue to build with what they have and through the draft. We are in the AFC championship game or even the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. We have the same pieces coming back and I think we make a big splash next year if we just sign our vets, draft well and stand pat without any major shakeups.

Who says he will demand serious money? It's been reported that he has said he is more than willing to be cap friendly and heavily incentive based

If Peyton wants to talk to us then we would be stupid not to listen. If he's genuine about wanting a ring then his talk of willing to structure a cap friendly deal needs to be followed by action to whatever team he goes to. It's easy to sit here in our position and say Peyton should be willing to sacrifice some money in order to secure his legacy sometimes, but in this situation it may fit because of Peyton's unlimited potential post playing career.

The guy has the ability to make a ton of money after he's done either as a coach or an analyst. So if I'm the Rick Smith and Bob McNair I have to take a look at see how close to 100 percent he really is and where he'll be come July when we get ready to kick off camp. With Schaub's injury situation being up in the air I think we would be foolish not to consider it if he's willing to make some concessions to be here.

guess it potentially depends on who you like
6252_1099392605238_1239346820_30315978_5137455_n.jpg

Lots to consider here for sure, but if Manning is serious, I think you would be very foolish not to see how all these moving parts could be made to work. First, there is the Schaub question. If healthy he fetches at least a #1 and maybe more. As it stands now, not sure. But you have to get rid of Schaub. No way can you carry him with Manning. So, that's the first question.

Then you have Manning's own health to consider. If he doesn't pass an exam with flying colors I think the risk is just too high. Then there is team chemistry which can be a delicate balance.

Then can you structure a contract that will allow you to keep your best pieces around Manning? Then once you have him - what kind of offense do you run? I'm not sure he is all that good of a fit in Kubes system. He is too good of a QB with way too much knowledge and experience to have Manning conform to Kubes. Kubes has to mold his offense to fit Manning's strengths. I think the rollouts would be reduced by a great deal, and you would be in shotgun a lot more with Payton basically doing his usual read and react on the fly. You could still run a zone run game, but I do feel the passing game would need to change rather dramatically.

I consider it a major longshot. Maybe 5% of it actually happening, but like I say it would behoove the Texans to turn over every rock and stone to figure out if they can make it work.

Matt has one more season @ $7m & will be 30 in June. He is several years younger but has been historically rated 2nd tier to Peyton being one of top 2 QBs. Neither should get much better imo so we know what we get. If both are 100% healthy game one, I rate Manning higher. WIth our team, Manning could easily play 2-3 seasons. With either on roster, we still need to develop a future QB. I like Yates but not sure yet he will be the QB of the future.

Can Kubiak & Manning work together? I say yes. Gary has never had a field general like Peyton although I wished he'd turned Matt loose.

Here's the tipping point for me, what kind of deal could we make for Schaub? Washington desperately needs a QB and will have to give up more than 6th pick to move ahead of Cleveland who may be angling for St Louis #2 to select RG3. WIth #6 they could get a vet Schaub & know what they have over any rookie.

I think we'd get many offers for #6.

If we are guaranteed a healthy Peyton, I would literally help Matt Scgaub pack his bags lol. Let's be honest people, Manning at 75 percent is still is still better than Schaub will ever be. But I just can't see McNair and Kubiak ditching Schaub.

I don't think this has a shot in hell at happening so this is about all of the energy that I'm going to waste on this thread.

It's simply not in Kubiak's nature to pull a move like this. The man is loyal to a fault... he's not going to ditch "his" QB and the guy who's been QBing his team for the past 5 seasons.

Also this decision is up to Kubiak, more so than Rick. Rick isn't the shot caller here, both men work hand in hand and Kubiak is going to get final say on who he wants to run his offense. If anybody really thinks Rick Smith is going to have final say on that or will have the authority to override Kubiak's wishes on who our signal caller will be, they're in straight denial.

Peyton Manning is not coming to Houston. And that's without even mentioning Indianapolis Star's columnist Bob Kravitz describing Manning's arm as a "noodle arm" now. By the time next year's season starts Manning will be out of football for almost 2 years and has a injury that he may never recover from.

If I had to put a % on the chances of Manning paying for the Texans, I'd say there's about a 5% chance at best of that happening.

Last edited:
Isn't Bob Allen the guy that 13 is releasing, and under those circumstances wouldn't he maybe do something out of desperation to keep his job like maybe make up a huge yarn out of whole cloth to spike his ratings ?

Isn't Bob Allen the guy that 13 is releasing, and under those circumstances wouldn't he maybe do something out of desperation to keep his job like maybe make up a huge yarn out of whole cloth to spike his ratings ?
My understanding is Allen retired? Your saying he was fired?

Back