Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-13-2012   #21
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary
Default Re: abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan comeing up in sports

I would not be mad if Manning came here but I am not sure that I would be as excited as I once would be just because of his injury.
Old 02-13-2012   #22
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

So I guess now the question is whether the Texans have any interest in Manning? My guess is no due to the offense Kubiak runs. He and Dennison call the plays, have certain audibles for each play, etc. Manning had full control of that offense in Indy. He had the power to change plays at the line, something which Schaub doesn't here (or at least not as much as Peyton did). But Kubiak is the QB guru and if he thinks Manning could fit in his offense...well I'd be intrigued by the idea.

Also, what art the chances this thread grows faster than the Eric Moulds thread a few years back?

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #23
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

The biggest risk of going for Manning would be that it would essentially end Schaub's career as a Texan. Would getting Manning for 2-3 years be worth losing Schaub? I would lean towards yes, but I can see how many would rather not. Obviously if either don't/can't return to full health then this conversation would be completely different anyway.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #24
PapaL
Loose Screw

Rep Power: 136745 PapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respectedPapaL is a quality contributor and well respected

I remember people Drew Brees wouldn't be successful after his rotator cuff injury. Having watched Manning, the dude is money. He might be damaged right now but he will be back.

Pay The Man, Rick.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lord Bills View Post
I can confidently say im smarter, better looking, and more successful than you will ever be.
PapaL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #25
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

No thanks.
We have a great team right now and lots of young stars.

No need to mortgage the future to try get minor leg up in the present.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #26
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6656 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
No thanks.
We have a great team right now and lots of young stars.

No need to mortgage the future to try get minor leg up in the present.
Serious question: In what way do you think it will mortgage the future? Obviously if he wants a huge payday then it would, but I don't think he will be looking for that. If we had Peyton for 2-3 years and were able to trade Schuab for some draft picks then I would have to think we would be a little bit ahead of where we were previously. With Peyton we would also have TJ (or a new QB acquired through the draft) learning behind a great.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #27
rush2112mn
All Pro

Rep Power: 972 rush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respectedrush2112mn is a quality contributor and well respected
Lightbulb Re: abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan comeing up in sports

His health is a big question......too many what "ifs"
rush2112mn is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-13-2012   #28
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexCanada View Post
Serious question: In what way do you think it will mortgage the future? Obviously if he wants a huge payday then it would, but I don't think he will be looking for that. If we had Peyton for 2-3 years and were able to trade Schuab for some draft picks then I would have to think we would be a little bit ahead of where we were previously. With Peyton we would also have TJ (or a new QB acquired through the draft) learning behind a great.
He's going to demand some serious money, which means we'd have to trade or release one of our better players. Schaub is a good QB and knows this system. Peyton would come in and have to learn the system and no one knows if he can do well in Kubiak's offense. And then there is the question if he will be able to last a season with his neck injury.

3 years ago, I think everyone mortgages their house, car, and kids to get Peyton. Today, I really think the Texans should pass and continue to build with what they have and through the draft. We are in the AFC championship game or even the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. We have the same pieces coming back and I think we make a big splash next year if we just sign our vets, draft well and stand pat without any major shakeups.
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #29
MistaRed
Veteran

Rep Power: 11677 MistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respectedMistaRed is a quality contributor and well respected

Do it Rick!
MistaRed is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #30
Ranger Tom
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 19932 Ranger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respectedRanger Tom is a quality contributor and well respected

Shades of the Brett Favre soap opera...
Ranger Tom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #31
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexanSam View Post
So I guess now the question is whether the Texans have any interest in Manning? My guess is no due to the offense Kubiak runs. He and Dennison call the plays, have certain audibles for each play, etc. Manning had full control of that offense in Indy. He had the power to change plays at the line, something which Schaub doesn't here (or at least not as much as Peyton did). But Kubiak is the QB guru and if he thinks Manning could fit in his offense...well I'd be intrigued by the idea.

Also, what art the chances this thread grows faster than the Eric Moulds thread a few years back?
I don't think that Gary would do this even if Peyton was willing. Peyton would steal his thunder.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #32
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stemp View Post
He's going to demand some serious money, which means we'd have to trade or release one of our better players. Schaub is a good QB and knows this system. Peyton would come in and have to learn the system and no one knows if he can do well in Kubiak's offense. And then there is the question if he will be able to last a season with his neck injury.

3 years ago, I think everyone mortgages their house, car, and kids to get Peyton. Today, I really think the Texans should pass and continue to build with what they have and through the draft. We are in the AFC championship game or even the Super Bowl this year with Schaub. We have the same pieces coming back and I think we make a big splash next year if we just sign our vets, draft well and stand pat without any major shakeups.

Who says he will demand serious money? It's been reported that he has said he is more than willing to be cap friendly and heavily incentive based
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #33
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullBlitz View Post
I don't think that Gary would do this even if Peyton was willing. Peyton would steal his thunder.
I'm not sure Gary has final call on this
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #34
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 31529 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

If Peyton wants to talk to us then we would be stupid not to listen. If he's genuine about wanting a ring then his talk of willing to structure a cap friendly deal needs to be followed by action to whatever team he goes to. It's easy to sit here in our position and say Peyton should be willing to sacrifice some money in order to secure his legacy sometimes, but in this situation it may fit because of Peyton's unlimited potential post playing career.

The guy has the ability to make a ton of money after he's done either as a coach or an analyst. So if I'm the Rick Smith and Bob McNair I have to take a look at see how close to 100 percent he really is and where he'll be come July when we get ready to kick off camp. With Schaub's injury situation being up in the air I think we would be foolish not to consider it if he's willing to make some concessions to be here.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #35
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
I'm not sure Gary has final call on this
I hope you are right. I don't know if Rick or Mr. McNair would do it, but I'm pretty sure it wouldn't happen if were just Kubiak's decision.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #36
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 109602 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

guess it potentially depends on who you like
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2012   #37
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 39337 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

I don't think Manning is in a spot to demand a lot of money.
Old 02-13-2012   #38
Porky
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 61481 Porky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respectedPorky is a quality contributor and well respected

Lots to consider here for sure, but if Manning is serious, I think you would be very foolish not to see how all these moving parts could be made to work. First, there is the Schaub question. If healthy he fetches at least a #1 and maybe more. As it stands now, not sure. But you have to get rid of Schaub. No way can you carry him with Manning. So, that's the first question.

Then you have Manning's own health to consider. If he doesn't pass an exam with flying colors I think the risk is just too high. Then there is team chemistry which can be a delicate balance.

Then can you structure a contract that will allow you to keep your best pieces around Manning? Then once you have him - what kind of offense do you run? I'm not sure he is all that good of a fit in Kubes system. He is too good of a QB with way too much knowledge and experience to have Manning conform to Kubes. Kubes has to mold his offense to fit Manning's strengths. I think the rollouts would be reduced by a great deal, and you would be in shotgun a lot more with Payton basically doing his usual read and react on the fly. You could still run a zone run game, but I do feel the passing game would need to change rather dramatically.

I consider it a major longshot. Maybe 5% of it actually happening, but like I say it would behoove the Texans to turn over every rock and stone to figure out if they can make it work.
Old 02-13-2012   #39
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 160949 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Matt has one more season @ $7m & will be 30 in June. He is several years younger but has been historically rated 2nd tier to Peyton being one of top 2 QBs. Neither should get much better imo so we know what we get. If both are 100% healthy game one, I rate Manning higher. WIth our team, Manning could easily play 2-3 seasons. With either on roster, we still need to develop a future QB. I like Yates but not sure yet he will be the QB of the future.

Can Kubiak & Manning work together? I say yes. Gary has never had a field general like Peyton although I wished he'd turned Matt loose.

Here's the tipping point for me, what kind of deal could we make for Schaub? Washington desperately needs a QB and will have to give up more than 6th pick to move ahead of Cleveland who may be angling for St Louis #2 to select RG3. WIth #6 they could get a vet Schaub & know what they have over any rookie.

I think we'd get many offers for #6.
Old 02-13-2012   #40
Playoffs 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 307979 Playoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respectedPlayoffs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by J_R View Post
Someone I know who is close friends with the Manning family...
Okay, I captured a picture of the source before it was pulled off their website,

Hang on.....
Playoffs is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read