Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Old 02-21-2012   #341
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: abc13 - peyton wants to be a texan comeing up in sports

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Careful there hotrod, I believe a couple of the Mods over there work this MB too. Then again, let them bridges burn....
"Hotrod"??? What are you, like 55 years old??

Dumpsters abound!!
Old 02-21-2012   #342
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Careful there hotrod, I believe a couple of the Mods over there work this MB too. Then again, let them bridges burn....
Not concerned about what anyone thinks of my opinions. They are mine and I stand by them. I have done nothing to be chastised for, so why would the mods here retaliate? I do not throw out personal insults, just discuss football and offer my opinion. If I am banned for that, then it is on the person doing that outside the guidelines of fair moderation, not me.
ckhouston is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #343
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 ckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respectedckhouston is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
2. as you did throw up those links, i only see eli, brees and sanchez organise get national recognition for their togethers in may. schaub organised OTA's in march and a mini camp later. last time i checked, march was before may.... kinda ruins your whole 'schaub only did it to get publicity/because every other qb was' angle doesnt it?
The other link was from an article in June. True, McClain does say that Matt emailed the team in March, not sure when they actually got together. More than Matt did it for recognition, my point was that what he was doing wasn't anything special, and did not to me make him a leader. Glad he took that initiative, but in my opinion leadership is displayed when under fire, in game.
Old 02-21-2012   #344
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
"Hotrod"??? What are you, like 55 years old??

Dumpsters abound!!
Easy there pistol! You're older than I amm..*ahem*

Yes, dumpsters are abound...for sure
Old 02-21-2012   #345
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Third Man View Post
You must have had elite moron training in some Glenn Beck para-dumbass camp to come with this drivel. Well done.
This isn't necessary. The man has an opinion, he shared it. You don't have to agree. In fact, we encourage you to voice your own opinion. But this goes too far.

Aside from that, he's not the only non-Schaub Homer around. The man has holes in his game. They may not be as critical or as bad as Premier states (I personally believe he's more right than most of the Schaub homers).... but it's a valid opinion nontheless.
Old 02-21-2012   #346
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 168015 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
This isn't necessary. The man has an opinion, he shared it. You don't have to agree. In fact, we encourage you to voice your own opinion. But this goes too far.

Aside from that, he's not the only non-Schaub Homer around. The man has holes in his game. They may not be as critical or as bad as Premier states (I personally believe he's more right than most of the Schaub homers).... but it's a valid opinion nontheless.
True or false?

The Texans would've beaten the Ravens with Schaub?
Old 02-21-2012   #347
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 326894 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Here's the deal. There are about 100 different types of QBs out there, just like there are thousands of different cars. Some people like the sports cars; Vettes, Ferraris, Lambos. Some people like the "Smart" cars; Prius, Hybrids, Leaf...

& that's ok.

Matt Schaub is simply not Premier's thing. He probably likes (& I'm just saying, I don't know) the Super Athletic types, the Romo/Farve/Montana/Netwon type. But Matt isn't that type. Matt's also not the "heady type" the guys who are going to beat you because of their understanding of the game..... Brady, Manning, Brees, Rogers.

So what type is he?

Heck, his supporters say, "Sure Matt can get us to a Super Bowl, look at Grossman, look at Hasselbeck. He can win it for us to, look at Dilfer, look at Johnson."

I don't think that's a very good argument.
Old 02-21-2012   #348
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by ckhouston View Post
Not concerned about what anyone thinks of my opinions. They are mine and I stand by them. I have done nothing to be chastised for, so why would the mods here retaliate? I do not throw out personal insults, just discuss football and offer my opinion. If I am banned for that, then it is on the person doing that outside the guidelines of fair moderation, not me.
Well said.
Old 02-21-2012   #349
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True or false?

thats not a true false statement the answer is unknown. We would have had a much better shot with Schaub though
2012Champs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2012   #350
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
True or false?

It all depends on how the man handles pressure. Not the in your face pressure of the pass rush, Tj wasn't sacked at all in that game.

But the pressure of having the ball in your hand with a play-off game on the line.

Matt hasn't played in a game of that magnitude in a.. well, ever. He hasn't played extremely well with the game on the line & the ball in his hands since... well, it's been a long time. I personally question if he could do it again.

Yeah, the defense has let him down several times. I'm not denying that. But the last time Schaub faced the Ravens he didn't do enough to get us the win (not just him, several others as well, but Matt was there). Even the time before that, the last mistake of that game was made by Matt Schaub.

So, if Schaub was healthy playing that game.... the Homer in me says we would have won it. The realist in me says, this team (now) is strong enough to handle a little QB controversy. Instead of bringing someone in to push Tj, let's bring someone in to push both of them.
Old 02-21-2012   #351
GP 
Go Texans!

Rep Power: 50777 GP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respectedGP is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
True or false?

True. MAYBE.

I have to think the Owen Daniels hand injury prohibited him from playing the sort of role he normally plays for his QB, and Schaub loves to go to OD every game with that huge seam-splitting route and the across-the-field routes that leave OD on an island.

And I have to wonder how Schaub would have dealt with Ed Reed and that whole dynamic. Probably would've been smarter about it than Yates was, but still...I could see Schaub failing to read Ed Reed properly on a few throws that might have also ended up as picks.

But yeah, I think we found a wall for Yates to run into...which, IMO, was his mini version of his sophomore slump--The part where a guy has spent all his money and has to find new ways to pay the bills. I happen to think Yates can have a great 2012 if he runs with the 1's in OTAs, camp, etc. He needs a full regimen of QB1 duties. And with the Schaub injury, I think he'll get that.
Old 02-21-2012   #352
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 69511 2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected2012Champs is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
True. MAYBE.

I have to think the Owen Daniels hand injury prohibited him from playing the sort of role he normally plays for his QB, and Schaub loves to go to OD every game with that huge seam-splitting route and the across-the-field routes that leave OD on an island.

And I have to wonder how Schaub would have dealt with Ed Reed and that whole dynamic. Probably would've been smarter about it than Yates was, but still...I could see Schaub failing to read Ed Reed properly on a few throws that might have also ended up as picks.

But yeah, I think we found a wall for Yates to run into...which, IMO, was his mini version of his sophomore slump--The part where a guy has spent all his money and has to find new ways to pay the bills. I happen to think Yates can have a great 2012 if he runs with the 1's in OTAs, camp, etc. He needs a full regimen of QB1 duties. And with the Schaub injury, I think he'll get that.
Yates didnt hit a wall in balt, his wall was only scoring 16ppg
Old 02-21-2012   #353
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Yates didnt hit a wall in balt, his wall was only scoring 16ppg
Not sure I agree with that.

He found ways to make plays...see both the Bengals game, one of which was on the road and he clinched the game with a last-second throw that he easily could have choked away, the other was a playoff game where he played solidly all day.

In the Baltimore game, he looked like he was out of his element and he couldn't string together a consistent drive to save his life. IMO, it was this game that it all caught up to him. Some think he had previously been playing over his head, but I think he hit a wall in terms of the overall lack of preparation he had been given (due to running scout team and not running with the 1's, plus not having a full off-season due to the lockout). Give the guy a full off-season, OTAs, and camp as the QB1 and I think he makes a leap forward in 2012.

BUT...it would sure be nice if he has Foster AND Tate to lean on while testing those sophomore waters.
Old 02-21-2012   #354
ckhouston
Hall of Fame

Quote:
True or false?

Or you could pose the same T/F scenario by saying we would have beat them if JJ wasn't on the team. That play changed the momentum, and complexion of the game completely. Of course we will never know how either scenario would have played out.
Old 02-21-2012   #355
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by GP View Post
Not sure I agree with that.

He found ways to make plays...see both the Bengals game, one of which was on the road and he clinched the game with a last-second throw that he easily could have choked away, the other was a playoff game where he played solidly all day.

In the Baltimore game, he looked like he was out of his element and he couldn't string together a consistent drive to save his life. IMO, it was this game that it all caught up to him. Some think he had previously been playing over his head, but I think he hit a wall in terms of the overall lack of preparation he had been given (due to running scout team and not running with the 1's, plus not having a full off-season due to the lockout). Give the guy a full off-season, OTAs, and camp as the QB1 and I think he makes a leap forward in 2012.

BUT...it would sure be nice if he has Foster AND Tate to lean on while testing those sophomore waters.

Really? You dont agree that scoring on avg 16 points wasnt our problem with Yates? Funny I think Schaub was avg 27 ppg. I think too many people over look Yates and his rookie way because he picked up some early wins but the kid had breaks along the way. 3 ints in balt was just the start because balt dropped another 2-3, he a couple more easy pics dropped before that game, one pic 6 called back etc. All that said 16 ppg isnt going to cut it
Old 02-21-2012   #356
2012Champs
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Or you could pose the same T/F scenario by saying we would have beat them if JJ wasn't on the team. That play changed the momentum, and complexion of the game completely. Of course we will never know how either scenario would have played out.
Yeah 5 min into the game we were smashed and lost all momentum being down 4 points with no hope of recovering
Old 02-21-2012   #357
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 140889 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I was just getting that taste out of my mouth, and there you go forcefeeding me a **** sandwich.

Old 02-21-2012   #358
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Changed the momentum of the game on the Ravens 1st possession of the game? Doubtful, but your point is semi-valid

However, 2 of Yates' INTs were huge for the Ravens. Throwing a pick on 1st down from your own 23 to AJ, who was quadruple covered. And an INT from the Ravens 38, which iced the game for the Ravens.

Now, without getting into a painful debate over that game, I think Schaub would've led us to a W. But you're right, it's all speculation. I don't consider myself a Schaub hater or lover (whatever the term is), but even with his token bonehead play in big games we get the W IMO.
Old 02-21-2012   #359
GP 
Go Texans!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2012Champs View Post
Really? You dont agree that scoring on avg 16 points wasnt our problem with Yates? Funny I think Schaub was avg 27 ppg. I think too many people over look Yates and his rookie way because he picked up some early wins but the kid had breaks along the way. 3 ints in balt was just the start because balt dropped another 2-3, he a couple more easy pics dropped before that game, one pic 6 called back etc. All that said 16 ppg isnt going to cut it
Two HUGE factors going on with the 16 ppg stat.

1. Yates is obviously not Hall of Fame material right now. Duh. Let's keep it in proper perspective about where he was then, and where he can be in 2012. A lot of this can be washed away if Yates is given more time with the 1's as I state over and over. You can't just enter an NFL game and rattle off 27 ppg and win every game including the Super Bowl as a rookie in the NFL who didn't even get into the starter's role until 3/4ths of the season had been played already. It doesn't happen. Looking at all that he was up against, he wasn't as bad as his 16 ppg is made out to be.

2. After the AFC South clinching win vs. Bengals on the road, the team as a whole looked like hammered dog crap. Lackluster vs. Indy (with help from the refs, btw). Lackluster vs. Carolina. Pulled starters vs. Titans and Yates wasn't even in that game past the second or 3rd possession of the 1st quarter, IIRC.

I can't grade Yates fairly just because he flopped in the Ravens playoff game. I think some people are so disappointed in the outcome of that game that they are soured on Yates. I haven't said anything to the degree of him being the next best thing and a sure-fire HOF'er. I have said that based on what we went through, and what we're up against with Schaub coming back from an injury that has historically not seen a successful comeback by other NFL players who had this severity of LisFranc injury, that Yates has the potential to use a full off-season, a full camp, and all of it as QB1 which means he gets reps. And reps are needed, with the 1's, to see what we got in Yates.

I don't think the Yates we saw in the loss to Balt is the real Yates. I think it was a bad day that he was going to have. Had he played like a monster vs. Ravens, and we had won, he might have had that bad day vs. Patriots in the AFC Championship game. You just never know. I happen to think it will benefit him MORE in the long run to have had that bad day THIS year so that he has motivation and clarity on what is expected and required to go all the way in 2012. Sometimes a setback like his is what a guy needs to make a leap. That's all I'm saying.
Old 02-21-2012   #360
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Changed the momentum of the game on the Ravens 1st possession of the game? Doubtful, but your point is semi-valid
I think it's extremely valid. With a rookie QB you need to play with a lead (because he will throw picks). JJ singlehandedly spotted the Ravens a 7-0 lead after the defense went out and did their job on the opening series.

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk > Texans Talk Archive
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read