Death to Google Ads! Texans Talk Tip Jar! 🍺😎👍
Thanks for your support!

Would you take Randy Moss to help out A.J.?

Randy Moss has said he wants to come out of retirement and will be looking for a team and a coach to give him a chance.
With his past history of not exactly being a "team" player, would you take a chance with him, if only to help out A.J.?

http://www.thepostgame.com/blog/throwback/201202/randy-moss-announces-comeback-attempt

Its a lovely idea in theory but you just know he's just looking for one last payday and won't be the Randy Moss that was one of the best in the league but the Randy Moss that played...badly...for 3 teams in one season.

I don't see what he possible adds. With his age and being out for a year, I suspect he would be back up material, and the last thing we need is another #3. IMO.

I do not have a problem bringing him to earn a spot, but my expectations are very low given the above.

I wouldn't even want to do that. He just seems to have a very divisive personality that is just waiting to make issues in the lockerroom. I would pass on him and look at younger guys who are working to earn a spot.

Is this guy in need of the money? I get the impression he's in that category where image is everything and, a bit like TO, probably had no problems spending $Xmillion dollars as and when he earned it without saving any for when his playing days were over.

I don't really understand why he'd even want to come back, he had a good career that ended a bit abruptly.

I wouldn't even want to do that. He just seems to have a very divisive personality that is just waiting to make issues in the lockerroom. I would pass on him and look at younger guys who are working to earn a spot.
That's also my attitude about Moss, who's a very surly dude with a terrible attitude. I saw a game or 2 when he played with the Titans and he was pathetic. The worst kinda combo: a diva who's talent has left him ago.

Hell, call me crazy but I would take him if he was wanting the vet minimum salary. If it didn't cause cap issues and we still draft/sign another talented WR, what is the downside? Lacks effort? Bench him. Locker room trouble? Trade him for a comp. 7th rd pick (like Derrick Mason's deal).

The upside? Wants to put a good performance for what would probably be his last year(s). The Texans WR core would be amazing and the O would be ranked top 5.

I think if he wants the bare minimum $ wise, you without a doubt bring him in for a workout.

There is a point in time where taking a chance on Randy Moss is a viable option. We are nowhere near that point. Seriously, the Texans have so many better options that the "shot in the dark" that signing Moss would be that this will probably never even be talked about when the Texans brain trust meets. Not unless Moss is picketing outside with a sign or something.

Too many better options.

There is a point in time where taking a chance on Randy Moss is a viable option. We are nowhere near that point. Seriously, the Texans have so many better options that the "shot in the dark" that signing Moss would be that this will probably never even be talked about when the Texans brain trust meets. Not unless Moss is picketing outside with a sign or something.

Too many better options.

I agree with that to the extent of I wouldn't take Moss if he was our only WR acquisition this offseason. But if we draft/sign a promising WR I think taking Moss wouldn't be so bad. If it all fits in the cap ofcourse.

If I could get the Minny 1st time/Pats Randy Moss the answer is yes.

Unfortunately those days are long gone. So no I wouldn't bring him in.

Cancer? Played in 2 nfc confrence championships and 1 SB. I will take those kinds of cancers on my team.

Too old. We don't need another Derrick Mason.

I don't think Moss is in the Mason/Moulds category. We've never heard
much about him being a lockerroom cancer. When motivated, he gave
Tom Brady the greatest regular season a quarterback has ever had.

The Texans are a team on the edge of a Superbowl, and playing next
to AJ, would make Matt Schaub look pretty good.

Work him out, bring him in.

Randy Moss played for a 16-0 team and 15-1 team -- two of the greatest teams in NFL History. And he still didn't win a Super Bowl. How unlucky can a great future Hall of Famer be? Chris Carter has to be patting him on his back as they go ice fishing together. And to answer your question: No, I don't want the Texans to sign him at this point. If he were a few years younger then I would probably say yes.

1238584287_seinfeld_had_enough.gif

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

He had one bad year and is entire career is a joke? You don't get 15K receiving yards 15.6 yards per catch and 153 TD's by running bad routes.

Moss is a drastic upgrade over everyone in our receiving core except for AJ.

Now you have Moss and you draft a rookie in the 1st. AJ/Moss/1st round rookie? Hell yeah!

Honestly, yes...but I worry about his cross route skills and his sometimes temper tantrums.

One guy I'd love to have is Heinz Ward, sure handed and one hell of a blocker.

No. He's 35. Coming off of an entire year away from football. He's not faster now. He's just trying to get a paycheck.

Honestly, yes...but I worry about his cross route skills and his sometimes temper tantrums.

Hines Ward can't move anymore. He runs like he's wearing concrete shoes. It's the reason why when he offered to restructure his contract the Steelers still said "thanks, but no thanks". He REALLY fell off last season (8.3 ypc)

Kevin Walter is a non athletic, sure handed guy, who can block his rear off... So Ward wouldn't bring anything that we don't already have. At least Walter brings size to the table, so he has that going for him.

He had one bad year and is entire career is a joke? You don't get 15K receiving yards 15.6 yards per catch and 153 TD's by running bad routes.

Moss is a drastic upgrade over everyone in our receiving core except for AJ.

Now you have Moss and you draft a rookie in the 1st. AJ/Moss/1st round rookie? Hell yeah!

Moss has never been known for his route running skills, so that's a legitimate criticism of his game. It's a well known criticism also. Maybe a better description of his route running would be to say he runs lazy routes.. and he does. He also doesn't even try to participate in the running game and offers up negative effort while run blocking, so the previous poster was correct. He doesn't fit the system here. If you don't run block, you don't get on the field in Kubiak's offense.

In his prime, the guy was the best deep threat option in the history of the league though. Reason for all of the yards, high ypc stats, and TDs.

I've thought that as well but as much as he's wanting/trying to hang in Pittsburgh do you think he'd sign with another team, or just retire?

I'd bring him in and work him out. Just like we brought in that parade of QBs when Schaub and Leinart went down. If he doesn't pass muster, what have you lost? If he's got an, "I'm gonna show everyone I'm not finished yet" attitude AND he signs a vet minimum plus incentives contract... why not?

Now that doesn't stop me from drafting an heir to A.J. in the first 2-3 rounds because Moss would only be viable for a couple of years at most and A.J. maybe 3-5 more great-to-good seasons in him.

As far as that "cancer" thing, Tom Brady vouched for him ...even after he got cut from the Pats, Brady went on record saying he'd love to have him back. If he's good enough for Tom B....

i'd rather have TO no matter what anyone says he gives 100 and 10 % every game

U can deny the numbers he put up in cincy were pretty good

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

1. runs poor routes
2. doesn't block

Doesn't fit!

And he quits on plays. Walks off the field before the game is over, is a locker room cancer.

Just because he's an all world talent doesn't excuse the fact he's a jackass. A jackass who's getting older and slower by the minute.

I'm still torn on this one. He would make a great addition in that he has the potential to take a lot of the double teams off A.J. He does still have some talent, and if the price was right we'd have back up,(GOD FORBID), something happen again this year like happened last year to Dre.

My biggest concern is a quote of his that I can't get out of my mind from several years ago when he was with, I believe, the Vikings in which he said...."I play hard when I want to play hard."

That has stuck with me for several years as being a self centered little debutante like the players on that team from southern Oklahoma.

So he runs bad routes...so does Jacoby.
Let's talk about what he can do though....he can catch (the coolest one handed grab in the back of the endzone coming off about an 80 yard bomb from Tom Brady)......Jacoby can't do that.

He's still a redzone threat....we didn't do to well in the Red Zone this year.

So he runs bad routes...so does Jacoby.
Let's talk about what he can do though....he can catch (the coolest one handed grab in the back of the endzone coming off about an 80 yard bomb from Tom Brady)......Jacoby can't do that.

He's still a redzone threat....we didn't do to well in the Red Zone this year.

Okay sure. He quits on plays. He can act like a spoiled brat. Why would you want someone out there who you can trust to give a 100% effort.

Okay sure. He quits on plays. He can act like a spoiled brat. Why would you want someone out there who you can trust to give a 100% effort.

Do you know why he was released in New England? I'm seriously asking. I don't know if it was because of his potential contract in the upcoming season or not.

he can't run away from guys like he used to....besides, he ain't a Rick Smith kinda guy.

if we get manning and Moss someone would say we are the new dream team and we will miss the playoffs ..... :spin:

Do you really want Randy on the Texans?

As a Raider fan let me present this to you: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3J7ipVezSEk

All the talent in the world, just no heart.

In his defense after he left the dismal situation in Oakland he had a couple of very good seasons in NE.

IMO I think Randy had been so used to everyone looking past some of his diva act because he has been the best deep threat the NFL has ever seen until he got dropped last year.

I think it's very possible you could see the Randy Moss that had a chip on his shoulder in Minn.

I think its possible given the right situation next year he could have a good season. I'd give him a one year contract here.

In his defense after he left the dismal situation in Oakland he had a couple of very good seasons in NE.

IMO I think Randy had been so used to everyone looking past some of his diva act because he has been the best deep threat the NFL has ever seen until he got dropped last year.

I think it's very possible you could see the Randy Moss that had a chip on his shoulder in Minn.

I think its possible given the right situation next year he could have a good season. I'd give him a one year contract here.

But he created the dismal situation in Oakland for himself by half-assing it. You see, when times are good Randy is fine, but when something doesn't go his way he pouts and puts forth no effort. I know I wouldn't want him on my team.

I think Randy has plenty left in the tank and he would be an upgrade over Kevin Walter & Jacoby Jones. I would still draft a wr in round 1 but Randy Moss is a game changer supreme and he is exactly what we need opposite Andre Johnson in terms of on the field production. Now some of the site brethren don't like anyone that is brash or speak there mind but lets face it we have wasted money on good boys like Jacoby & Kevin Walter it's time to bring someone in so we can win games and get to the super bowl it's time to stop being so conservative and lets win it all.

randy moss isnt fast anymore u think hes going to out run these CB these days PLZZZ and hes deff not physical teams will prob not even waste the #2cb on him they would prob just have a linebacker or SS Murder him on the line or chip him all u need to do is chip him for like 1.2 seconds

Back