Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

The National Football League League News & Current Events

Old 11-03-2011   #221
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Section: Fort Kickass
Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Would you trade Mario if it meant........

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
I say trade Mario to the Eagles for Rodgers-Cromartie and a 1st round pick. I hate to see him go, but I have a bad feeling that if they sign him to a new contract, his number of games played will start to dwindle as the years go on...

Sucks but do whats best for the team for the future...
They don't need any more pass-rushing DEs. But you know who may have use for him? The Jags, Titans, Broncos, Vikings, maybe the Raiders or San Diego...

It will be interesting to see what they do with him, but I expect him to be re-signed for a boatload of money because we have to make sure the NFL knows we made the right choice in 2006.
Old 11-03-2011   #222
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dutchrudder View Post
I think he means next year to franchise Mario it will cost close to 20 million, assuming they don't sign him to a longterm deal.
I heard 24 million on the radio...DAMN that's allot of scratch for one year...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #223
BullNation4Life
Hall of Fame

Section: Living Room 77429
Rep Power: 70825 BullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respectedBullNation4Life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
They don't need any more pass-rushing DEs. But you know who may have use for him? The Jags, Titans, Broncos, Vikings, maybe the Raiders or San Diego...

It will be interesting to see what they do with him, but I expect him to be re-signed for a boatload of money because we have to make sure the NFL knows we made the right choice in 2006.
No, no if I am trading Mario, it's to the NFC. No way in hell do I take the chance of having to face him twice a year.... Schaub would go fetal position for sure if he saw that monster coming at him...

Maybe talk to the Saints or even Carolina, he's from that part of the world...

Ohhh, uh oh, it's FitzMagic!....
BullNation4Life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-03-2011   #224
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Rep Power: 150980 Dutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respectedDutchrudder is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by gafftop View Post
Heard today that the franchise cost on Mario is about 20 mill. When I made statement above I thought his franchise cost would be 10 mill as a LB. Sorry at 20 mill or 1/7 of whole salary cap for the TExans for next year I would say pass. Just don't sign him to a big dollar long term contract. Just my opinion.
Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
I think you are a bit high. His capis just over $15m with salary a bit lower.
http://www.sportscity.com/NFL/Houston-Texans-Salaries
http://www.spotrac.com/nfl/houston-t...ario-williams/

Salaries and true cap hits are hard to find but this should be very close.
I looked it up on wiki:

Quote:
An "exclusive" franchise player must be offered a one-year contract for an amount no less than the average of the top five salaries at the player's position as of a date in April of the current year in which the tag will apply, or 120 percent of the player's previous year's salary, whichever is greater. Exclusive franchise players cannot negotiate with other teams.
120% of 14.8 million is 17.76 million (Patriotic, eh?). That's how much it will cost for Mario to play under the franchise tag next year. That's an insane amount and it puts the front office in a bad spot for negotiating if they tag him. Last year, the F tag cost for a DE was 12.4 million, 9.7 million for a linebacker. So suppose he was tagged, and Rick Smith starts negotiations with Mario's agent. A likely offer would be somewhere in the range of 9 million a year over 4-5 years. Why not play under the tag for 8 million more and then go get a big contract the next year? He's young enough to not have to worry about it. Might be worth his time to cash out in 2013 instead of 2012, similar to what Dunta did.
Old 11-03-2011   #225
Dutchrudder 
COOL BEANS!

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullNation4Life View Post
No, no if I am trading Mario, it's to the NFC. No way in hell do I take the chance of having to face him twice a year.... Schaub would go fetal position for sure if he saw that monster coming at him...

Maybe talk to the Saints or even Carolina, he's from that part of the world...
Yeah, Carolina is rebuilding still, and I could see them going for a DE in the 1st this year. Quinton Couples would make a lot of sense for them if they have a top 5 pick, but they could also go with a WR in that spot. Maybe they go after Mario in free agency and take a WR or OT with their 1st. I dunno, I just don't see any team giving up a 1st and a 3rd to get Mario after these last two season's injuries.
Old 11-03-2011   #226
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked it up on wiki:

120% of 14.8 million is 17.76 million (Patriotic, eh?). That's how much it will cost for Mario to play under the franchise tag next year. That's an insane amount and it puts the front office in a bad spot for negotiating if they tag him. Last year, the F tag cost for a DE was 12.4 million, 9.7 million for a linebacker. So suppose he was tagged, and Rick Smith starts negotiations with Mario's agent. A likely offer would be somewhere in the range of 9 million a year over 4-5 years. Why not play under the tag for 8 million more and then go get a big contract the next year? He's young enough to not have to worry about it. Might be worth his time to cash out in 2013 instead of 2012, similar to what Dunta did.
To clarify when I responded to Gafftop's post #217, I thought he was talking about Mario's cost for the 2011 season. You are saying he was talking about next season's cost I take it?
Old 11-03-2011   #227
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 146673 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked it up on wiki:

True but do you think any team will pay Mario $18m salary for one year? No way. He knows that. He will take the deal that suits him best. For example, he could be offered a 6 year (27 years old next Jan) contract $80m. $25 m bonus divided by 6 (to determine cap) He would avg $9 m salary + $4m bonus = $13m salary cap hit. He gets $25m upfront and guaranteed two year salary ($18m). So 1st year he has the $9m salary + 25m bonus= $34m. Think he'd sign that rather than take a franchise tag? Benefit to team is he can be cut after two years costing team only $4m against cap/year. With $25m up front he could be pursuaded to take a smaller salary first two season to backload the deal. That happens and if I am right his first contract was similar.

A $13million cap hit for an OLB that should get 15 sacks a season or a disruptive DE like he has provened to be is reasonable. I think we would get 2-3 trade offers IF we decided not to keep him. His cap hit this season $14m and cap is expected to increase about that much next year. So we can re-sign him at about same under the $120m cap(of this year) and still have the increase next season of about $14m to spend elsewhere + the other amounts allowed by new CBA. What could we do with another first and second round selections + $14m saved by trading Mario +$14m in increased cap space + $3million allowed in new CBA? That's $31million plus an extra first and second round to select or trade.
Old 11-03-2011   #228
badboy
Site Contributor

Quote:
Yeah, Carolina is rebuilding still, and I could see them going for a DE in the 1st this year. Quinton Couples would make a lot of sense for them if they have a top 5 pick, but they could also go with a WR in that spot. Maybe they go after Mario in free agency and take a WR or OT with their 1st. I dunno, I just don't see any team giving up a 1st and a 3rd to get Mario after these last two season's injuries.
Probably not a top 15 one and two but what about N.E. at 30 & 31 or 31 and #63? Leaving PATs with a first and second to draft.
Old 11-04-2011   #229
silvrhand
Site Contributor

Section: 135J 5-8
Rep Power: 26897 silvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respectedsilvrhand is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to silvrhand Send a message via MSN to silvrhand Send a message via Yahoo to silvrhand

Or we could simly give him a decent offer at about 7-8 million a year and tell him take it or leave it. He hasn't played a full season in two years..

In response to the new Vance Joseph Hiring:
silvrhand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #230
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Cleveland may be in the market for a pass rusher too. And they have 2 first round picks so that's another team that may be willing to give up a lot for a premier Defensive End since they switched back to the 4-3 this year.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #231
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Section: Bullpen/ 636
Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I looked it up on wiki:

A cap number north of $10 million would mean that Arian Foster doesn't get a new deal, Schaub doesn't get extended, and we are unable to go get anyone significant in free agency. NO THANKS! If we let Mario walk without a trade, the trade is the cap room to do other business. The only way Mario is a Texan next year is if they sign him to a long term deal. The long term deal, even if it is for huge dollars, will be much more cap friendly the first few years... Still, I wouldn't want him for anything more than 5 yrs and $45 million.
Old 11-04-2011   #232
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
A cap number north of $10 million would mean that Arian Foster doesn't get a new deal, Schaub doesn't get extended, and we are unable to go get anyone significant in free agency. NO THANKS! If we let Mario walk without a trade, the trade is the cap room to do other business. The only way Mario is a Texan next year is if they sign him to a long term deal. The long term deal, even if it is for huge dollars, will be much more cap friendly the first few years... Still, I wouldn't want him for anything more than 5 yrs and $45 million.
If it came down between Mario or Schaub I would take Mario any day of the week.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #233
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
As much as I want to agree I just cannot.

The defense can still be successful as a unit without Mario.

Don't have a good qb and your offense is going to shit. Schaub is pretty good and by the sheer nature of his position that increases his value ten fold.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #234
Texn4life
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 30852 Texn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respectedTexn4life is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rey View Post
As much as I want to agree I just cannot.

The defense can still be successful as a unit without Mario.

Don't have a good qb and your offense is going to shit. Schaub is pretty good and by the sheer nature of his position that increases his value ten fold.
I agree with you here...... While its hard to replace a guy like Mario because at times he can dominate one-on-one match ups, we've seen Wade do some things scheme wise to still apply pressure after he went out.

Its much more difficult to find a QB to step in and run this offense the way Matt does. Sure he's not perfect by any stretch of the imagination, but I think he may be a little bit undervalued by some people. I'm all for drafting a QB of the future maybe in the next couple of drafts, but I'm not ready to start all over with another guy at this point unless we're replacing him with a veteran who can step in and produce right away. And there aren't many guys who are head and shoulders above Matt talent wise in the league who would be available to replace him with.
Texn4life is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #235
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 57395 dalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respecteddalemurphy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
That's just silly! If Mario was healthy but Schaub was out for the year, do you think we would be in the position we are in? or better?

You want to go with Leinart? a rookie QB? or someone on the scrap-heap this off-season? Thank God you aren't making decisions for the Texans!

Without Mario, the Texans are in the top 10 in defense in almost every category. Take Schaub away from the offense, the offense would be in the bottom half of the league in almost every category.
Old 11-04-2011   #236
Imatexanfan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 1227 Imatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respectedImatexanfan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yawl have to count in that when MW does play, he almost always gets double-teamed which leaves open holes in the opponents O-line...he is still a big weapon but I am starting to come to terms that it is time to see what we can get for him this offseason.

The fact that IF we trade em to an AFC South team is absurd, we DO NOT want to face this guy twice a year, it will be the VY incident all over again...we do not want that...
Imatexanfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #237
dalemurphy
Hall of Fame

Quote:
Originally Posted by Imatexanfan View Post
Yawl have to count in that when MW does play, he almost always gets double-teamed which leaves open holes in the opponents O-line...he is still a big weapon but I am starting to come to terms that it is time to see what we can get for him this offseason.

The fact that IF we trade em to an AFC South team is absurd, we DO NOT want to face this guy twice a year, it will be the VY incident all over again...we do not want that...
I don't agree with this philosophy. If you are trading an asset, I believe you take the best compensation you can get, regardless of whether he is in the division or conference. You have to trust your decision-making. If the organization determines Mario is not worth his price then he isn't a very good value for Jacksonville or Tennessee either. If they offer more compensation, take it and stick them with an overpaid, injury-riddled, DE.
Old 11-04-2011   #238
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 54908 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalemurphy View Post
That's just silly! If Mario was healthy but Schaub was out for the year, do you think we would be in the position we are in? or better?

You want to go with Leinart? a rookie QB? or someone on the scrap-heap this off-season? Thank God you aren't making decisions for the Texans!

Without Mario, the Texans are in the top 10 in defense in almost every category. Take Schaub away from the offense, the offense would be in the bottom half of the league in almost every category.
If Rosenfels hadn't pulled a Rosencopter he would be our starting QB right now. Schaub is nothing special, good or bad. Mario is special. Out of 64 starting DE's in the league he is a top ten. Schaub is a top 15 out of 32.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2011   #239
TEXANJAK
Texans #1

Rep Power: 126 TEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANJAK is a quality contributor and well respected

Let's shop Mario. Defense is not missing enough to hurt us. Besides Foster is going to need the money.
Old 11-04-2011   #240
Rey
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 0 Rey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respectedRey is a quality contributor and well respected

I'd be more inclined to trade Demeco before I traded Mario.
Rey is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > Football Talk > The National Football League
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read