Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are we legitimate contenders next year.
No we arent. 3 4.11%
Yes we definitely are contenders. 65 89.04%
I will reserve judgement till after the draft. 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-10-2012   #21
Marcus
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 91312 Marcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respectedMarcus is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are Texans legitimate contenders next year.

It's nice to see more people getting realistic about injuries, for a change.
Marcus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #22
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, Houston is a legitimate contender for the Super Bowl next year. What other team in the NFL has a top five defense (Pass, Run, Overall & Scoring), a top five rushing attack (#2) and a passing game that has been in the top ten when their QB has been healthy?
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #23
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Medic01 View Post
Everyone take off your homer shoes and really think about it. I will add in our schedule when I find it. And don't just say yes or no actually give s reason. I say yes because while we did have an easy schedule we destroyed the bad teams which is what great teams do. And that last Ravens playoff game when we outplayed them at every position except QB. I think we are legitimate contenders next year even with a tougher schedule.
Contender for what? I say yes to Super Bowl butwe need to make radical moves to better this team. A major move was Wade Phillips canceling the interview. Mario and Foster decisions as well as FA choices and the draft are others. Best off season ever for me.
Old 02-10-2012   #24
badboy
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 178253 badboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respectedbadboy is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
EFF it!!! I'm flying to Vegas and "Ima Texan_bill" is gonna throw down $10,000.00 to win it ALL!!!

Alright, I'm kidding and will throw down a gentleman's bet (like breakfast or something) with a buddy. Just sayin'!
Uh, Bill can you & I talk about that ten grand you just have lying around? Could I be your new favorite charity? I'll sing your praises!. And all those terrible things I ever said about you? Well I could be really, really sorry. Just saying. Not begging. But..if you need begging?
Old 02-10-2012   #25
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to thunderkyss

Quote:
Everyone take off your homer shoes and really think about it. I will add in our schedule when I find it. And don't just say yes or no actually give s reason. I say yes because while we did have an easy schedule we destroyed the bad teams which is what great teams do. And that last Ravens playoff game when we outplayed them at every position except QB. I think we are legitimate contenders next year even with a tougher schedule.
Both the Jets & the Eagles had great seasons 2010 & off-seasons in 2011. Both looked like contenders week 1. Week 5, not so much.

I'm not worried about the draft or FA. In retrospect it appears the Texans handle that aspect of the "business" somewhat better than average.

Are they still hungry? Or do they think they are media darlings?

Are they mentally tough? Or was that some emotional "high"?

I think the Texans are as talented as any team in the league. More talented than most. I think Gary Kubiak does a fine job teaching these boys to play (Wade on the defensive side) & drawing up plays.

I'll be full blown koolaide drunk by August... right now, I'm skeptical.
Old 02-10-2012   #26
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 120208 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by badboy View Post
Uh, Bill can you & I talk about that ten grand you just have lying around? Could I be your new favorite charity? I'll sing your praises!. And all those terrible things I ever said about you? Well I could be really, really sorry. Just saying. Not begging. But..if you need begging?
Badboy...does that bad ass boat that you have ,have a pole on it?
Wolf is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #27
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Rep Power: 288753 thunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respectedthunderkyss is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lurvinator11 View Post
2. Episode 5: Team Wary Strikes Back! Ok sorry for the Star Wars reference, I couldn't help it. But as we all know, Wade will be back next season. He will be back and all of our defenisve players will have a full offseason under Wade. This will improve the defense greater than what it already is. IF we can re sign Mario on the Defensive side, our defense will be near un stoppable with players like Reed, Barwin, and Mario on the field at the same time!
I remember saying something similar after 2009 except I was optimistic about our head-hunter in the secondary (Pollard), improvement from Connor, Quin, & McCain... y'know?
Quote:
2. Home Schedule. We can easily go undefeated at Home this season. It is possible. We play Tennesse, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Baltimore. We already play well at home, I feel like the Baltimore game will be rocking and they won't beat us. Minnesota, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Miami will not be good teams next season. Green Bay will be a great game, and I feel like that will be a season defining game.
I don't know if I want to play Green Bay early or late. If we pick up where we left off, we can beat the Packers with a steady run game & stingy defense. I think Miami, Baltimore, & Buffalo will all be good games. I don't think any of them are gimmees. Miami is as talented as SF, the right coach... & that could be a good game.
Quote:
3. The AFC South will not be competitive. So Even if we do drop a couple at home, I think we can still clinch the south this time around. The only competition will be the Titans, but I am not too sure how they will do next seaons. I honestly think the Texans can pull off a 13-3 record, if everyone remains healthy of course.
I think the Titans are a couple of pieces away. Kenny Brit, a solid defensive draft.... we may need 13 games to win the division.
Old 02-11-2012   #28
Texaninlild
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 4558 Texaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respectedTexaninlild is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via Yahoo to Texaninlild

When healthy we have more talent top to bottom than 31 other teams.

I am a Christian

Philippians 4:13
Texaninlild is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #29
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texaninlild View Post
When healthy we have more talent top to bottom than 31 other teams.
It takes more than talent, a lot more to win in this league.
Old 02-11-2012   #30
JCTexan
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 47538 JCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respectedJCTexan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by thunderkyss View Post
Yes, but how else are we to predict who is a contender for next year if we're not going on talent? Going on talent entering this past season everyone (including myself) was predicting the Eagles to win the NFC East and go far into the playoffs, while pretty much writing off the Giants in the process. Having a talented offense and defense should at least make Houston serious contenders.
JCTexan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #31
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Originally Posted by JCTexan View Post
Yes, but how else are we to predict who is a contender for next year if we're not going on talent? Going on talent entering this past season everyone (including myself) was predicting the Eagles to win the NFC East and go far into the playoffs, while pretty much writing off the Giants in the process. Having a talented offense and defense should at least make Houston serious contenders.
This makes my point. We can't go on talent alone. The Eagles & the Jets are prime examples... the Giants are a very good example in the other direction.

Do you have faith in Kubiak? Do you believe he can "ground" these budding egos & meld them into a team, a championship team?

I had doubts about the Jets the minute they signed Plaxico. Not that I have a problem with Plax, but in my mind, they were adding too much to that team in a short period of time. In just three offseasons, that roster has been turned upside down. And I had no faith in Rex to be able to pull it all together. Now that there is discension in the locker room, I know Rex is not the man to pull it back together, I don't think he's equipped that way.

The Eagles... I know Reid has had a lot of success, but I don't think much of him as a team builder. The key to that team has been the defense & the man who ran that defense isn't there. Again, adding too many personalities to quickly...

So we look at the Texans.

We're not going crazy in FA, you know that. Other than our draft picks we won't be adding any top talent... any dominant personalities. Besides, I think Kubiak does a good (probably great) job of setting expectations & getting personalities working towards that expectation.

What worries me about the Texans is that last year was the first time we saw success not blow out that fire. The first time we could consistently expect to win & actually win.

Does Duane Brown understand he has to play better than he did last season? Does Chris Myers, Eric Winston, Ben Tate, Andre Johnson, James Casey? Is there any player on the defensive side of the ball who thinks they played well enough?

Are they mentally tough? Do they refuse to lose?
Old 02-11-2012   #32
DocBar
Hall of Fame

Section: Channel 700-ish on NFL Sunday Ticket
Rep Power: 100454 DocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respectedDocBar is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Looking at the adversity this team played through last season should be a strong indicator that the coaches have a good feel for the team and the chemistry is pretty good in the locker room. This team was built with good drafting and, especially last off season, shrewd FA moves and one helluva hire in Phillips. There don't seem to be any primadonna's on the team. I like where we stand there.
My biggest concern is the way Phillips' defenses tend to fall off in the second year. That record has me a bit leery.
Old 02-11-2012   #33
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouSportsWriter View Post
I picked no! Because i wanted to troll...
Given your nick we hardly expected logic.

I voted, "wait until after the draft & F/A".
Not just for us but to see how everyone else improved.

Know thy self, know thy enemy.
A thousand battles, a thousand victories.
- Sun Tzu
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #34
ObsiWan
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 270486 ObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respectedObsiWan is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
This makes my point. We can't go on talent alone. The Eagles & the Jets are prime examples... the Giants are a very good example in the other direction.

Do you have faith in Kubiak? Do you believe he can "ground" these budding egos & meld them into a team, a championship team?
So we look at the Texans.

We're not going crazy in FA, you know that. Other than our draft picks we won't be adding any top talent... any dominant personalities. Besides, I think Kubiak does a good (probably great) job of setting expectations & getting personalities working towards that expectation.

What worries me about the Texans is that last year was the first time we saw success not blow out that fire. The first time we could consistently expect to win & actually win.

Does Duane Brown understand he has to play better than he did last season? Does Chris Myers, Eric Winston, Ben Tate, Andre Johnson, James Casey? Is there any player on the defensive side of the ball who thinks they played well enough?

Are they mentally tough? Do they refuse to lose?
If the "Next Man Up" attitude this team showed thru all the injuries and whatnot of this past season doesn't show you that we have a TEAM and not a bunch of divas, I don't know what will.

I don't remember any game that we lost that we were blown out of except for maaaaybe the Carolina game. And I attribute that to the hangover/letdown that came from clinching the division the previous week.

Team Wary has built a team of fighters. As long as they're here, they'll keep "the kids" hungry and focused.

But there's always a chance we lose key pieces in free agency. That unknown is what keeps me from going all in right now.
ObsiWan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #35
markn
All Pro

Rep Power: 42402 markn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respectedmarkn is a quality contributor and well respected

Honest assessment: I'm pretty nervous about our schedule, and predict the AFC south won't produce a wild-card team. So we're going to have to win the division again for sure, although 10-6 will probably be enough. If we can manage that, then I see us as the no 3 seed again, which will probably see us on the road for a tough divisional game assuming we win our home wild-card game. I'm yet to be convinced that Schaub is quite clutch enough to win a tough road game of that magnitude, so I'm predicting an exit at the same stage next year.
markn is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #36
Norg
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 17026 Norg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respectedNorg is a quality contributor and well respected

Sure we play in a pretty weak divison. Thts the only reason why we should be in the playoffs for at least the next 2 years
Norg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #37
NBT
Veteran

Rep Power: 124 NBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respectedNBT is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goatcheese View Post
I have to see what they do with the offseason. They could screw everything up and lose Myers, Mario and Foster.

They'd be marginal playoff contenders if that happened.
It would be gross mismanagement to lose all 3. Mario will probably be shopped, but the other two aren't going anywhere. It depends on the NFL new year beginning in March when some people will be cut. Some more money will be freed up.

My guess (hope) is that we will definitely contend for the next SB in 2013.
NBT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #38
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by markn View Post
Honest assessment: I'm pretty nervous about our schedule, and predict the AFC south won't produce a wild-card team. So we're going to have to win the division again for sure, although 10-6 will probably be enough. If we can manage that, then I see us as the no 3 seed again, which will probably see us on the road for a tough divisional game assuming we win our home wild-card game. I'm yet to be convinced that Schaub is quite clu.tch enough to win a tough road game of that magnitude, so I'm predicting an exit at the same stage next year.
Contrary to popular belief Schaub is pretty clutch. And anyways he has never had the supporting cast. I am under the opinion that we go 12-4 and make it to the AFC championship game at least.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-11-2012   #39
thunderkyss 
& so it begins

Quote:
Contrary to popular belief Schaub is pretty clutch. And anyways he has never had the supporting cast. I am under the opinion that we go 12-4 and make it to the AFC championship game at least.
I agree with you on Schaub. Though we lost & brain farted at the end of the game, I think the Raiders game, the last two drives were among his best of his career..... & he's had some clutch performances.

What supporting cast did he have in 2012 that he didn't in 2011? The defense sucked...... but there were several games where the offense was in position to win it. There was also the OT game at home vs Baltimore where the offense lost it...... & it was a "Farve" type of pick 6 that ended the game.

Then we have no idea when he'll be ready to play again & at what level.....
Old 02-11-2012   #40
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
I agree with you on Schaub. Though we lost & brain farted at the end of the game, I think the Raiders game, the last two drives were among his best of his career..... & he's had some clutch performances.

What supporting cast did he have in 2012 that he didn't in 2011? The defense sucked...... but there were several games where the offense was in position to win it. There was also the OT game at home vs Baltimore where the offense lost it...... & it was a "Farve" type of pick 6 that ended the game.

Then we have no idea when he'll be ready to play again & at what level.....
Wait what year are you talking about.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read