Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Are we legitimate contenders next year.
No we arent. 3 4.11%
Yes we definitely are contenders. 65 89.04%
I will reserve judgement till after the draft. 5 6.85%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-09-2012   #1
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Are Texans legitimate contenders next year.

Everyone take off your homer shoes and really think about it. I will add in our schedule when I find it. And don't just say yes or no actually give s reason. I say yes because while we did have an easy schedule we destroyed the bad teams which is what great teams do. And that last Ravens playoff game when we outplayed them at every position except QB. I think we are legitimate contenders next year even with a tougher schedule.
The Medic01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #2
Lurvinator11
Hall of Fame

Section: My Couch
Rep Power: 12117 Lurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respectedLurvinator11 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Are Texans legitimate contenders next year.

I have been thinking about this for a little while now.
The Texans will be a legit contender for a few reasons. I'll cite a few reasons regarding the Texans and a few reasons concerning the rest of the league.

Why The Texans feel they should be contenders

1. The Age: Compared to other contenders in the league, this team is young! You would normally think that this may be a problem, but the fact that they went on the run that they did last season, gave them experience!

2. Episode 5: Team Wary Strikes Back! Ok sorry for the Star Wars reference, I couldn't help it. But as we all know, Wade will be back next season. He will be back and all of our defenisve players will have a full offseason under Wade. This will improve the defense greater than what it already is. IF we can re sign Mario on the Defensive side, our defense will be near un stoppable with players like Reed, Barwin, and Mario on the field at the same time!

3. Schaub should return healthy next season. Reports indicate that his rehab is going well, and he should be good to go by the begining of the season. Schaub is the only wild card this team has at the moment. However if Schaub is not ready to go by OTA's or not 100 percent, then T.J. will get all of the work in the off season, so in the case if he does have to start a few games in the regular season, he will be more prepared this season as oppossed to last season, which makes me feel great!

Why the League indicates the Texans will be contenders.

1. Other teams getting older. As I said earlier, the Texans have a young team, while other teams in the AFC are getting older. The Ravens have an aging defense, as do the Steelers. I do not believe the Patriots are as dominant as they once were, and the AFC West is always a mess.

2. Home Schedule. We can easily go undefeated at Home this season. It is possible. We play Tennesse, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, Miami, Green Bay, Minnesota, and Baltimore. We already play well at home, I feel like the Baltimore game will be rocking and they won't beat us. Minnesota, Indy, Jacksonville, Buffalo, and Miami will not be good teams next season. Green Bay will be a great game, and I feel like that will be a season defining game.

3. The AFC South will not be competitive. So Even if we do drop a couple at home, I think we can still clinch the south this time around. The only competition will be the Titans, but I am not too sure how they will do next seaons. I honestly think the Texans can pull off a 13-3 record, if everyone remains healthy of course.

I made a post a couple of weeks saying the The Texans will be the next great team of this decade. I firmly believe it because everything is pointing in the right direction for us. My goal for this team is the AFC championship. I think this team can clinch a super bowl berth.

I hope my post wasn't too long. Hope yall enjoy.

Keenum is not the QB of the future.
Lurvinator11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #3
HouSportsWriter
SIAB

Rep Power: 10480 HouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respectedHouSportsWriter is a quality contributor and well respected

I picked no! Because i wanted to troll...
HouSportsWriter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #4
The Medic01
Veteran

Rep Power: 1875 The Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respectedThe Medic01 is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HouSportsWriter View Post
I picked no! Because i wanted to troll...
Well that seems as good a reason as any.
Old 02-09-2012   #5
Stemp
Brew Master

Section: Sec 118 Row H
Rep Power: 46692 Stemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respectedStemp is a quality contributor and well respected

Compare the Texans to the top AFC teams:

Bartimore: Defense getting old, offense isn't all that great.
Pitt: Whole team is getting old
Pats: Need to find a defense
Denver: Great defense, need a QB. Tebow isn't going to cut it.
Bengals: QB needs more seasoning, Defense is good but not great.
Jets: Need a better answer at QB, HC needs to regain control.
Chargers: No one knows what team will show up week to week.
Raiders: New ownership, new coaching staff, same lack of 2 deep talent.
Indy: Even if Payton comes back, their D is awful.
Ten: Need an answer at QB, HC needs some seasoning.
Jax:
Stemp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #6
Goatcheese
Nightmare Over

Rep Power: 103337 Goatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respectedGoatcheese is a quality contributor and well respected

I have to see what they do with the offseason. They could screw everything up and lose Myers, Mario and Foster.

They'd be marginal playoff contenders if that happened.

“Every man takes the limits of his own field of vision for the limits of the world.” -Arthur Schopenhauer
Goatcheese is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #7
TexanSam
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 29758 TexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanSam is a quality contributor and well respected

Yes, I think we're contenders. If Schaub is healthy, then we're right back near the top of the AFC.

The schedule looks difficult on paper, but I remember last season's schedule did too before the year started and it ended it up being pretty easy. With the parity in the NFL, it wouldn't surprise me if one or two of the teams who look tough actually end up being average or bad.

Thanks to Premier
TexanSam is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-09-2012   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

I wanna know who the Tinnbred fan that voted "No we're not" was??
Old 02-09-2012   #9
DexmanC
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 34619 DexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respectedDexmanC is a quality contributor and well respected

I'm wondering if this is a serious poll. But hell yeah we are contenders.
Old 02-09-2012   #10
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 218535 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected

Contenders for what? Making the playoffs again? Yes we are, even if we lose Mario, Foster and Myers we are still contenders for a playoff spot. This is a very balanced team.

Contenders for playing in the super bowl next year? As long as we keep Foster and Myers and get another wide out, yes. We can lose Mario and still be in the super bowl next year. And I'll say that before free agency and the draft which hopefully makes us stronger.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #11
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

barring injuries (I know that sounds funny) we should be right back in the thick of things.

Titans had a season better than I thought they would with all that turnover.. They do not have the talent that the Texans have but should be the only one that could hang around in the division right now
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #12
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

EFF it!!! I'm flying to Vegas and "Ima Texan_bill" is gonna throw down $10,000.00 to win it ALL!!!

Alright, I'm kidding and will throw down a gentleman's bet (like breakfast or something) with a buddy. Just sayin'!
Old 02-09-2012   #13
Wolf
100% Texan

Rep Power: 99659 Wolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respectedWolf is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorn View Post
Contenders for what? Making the playoffs again? Yes we are, even if we lose Mario, Foster and Myers we are still contenders for a playoff spot. This is a very balanced team.

Contenders for playing in the super bowl next year? As long as we keep Foster and Myers and get another wide out, yes. We can lose Mario and still be in the super bowl next year. And I'll say that before free agency and the draft which hopefully makes us stronger.
yep.. I don't know why but I keep thinking that this is a very important draft for the Texans(I know every draft is important) however with all the contracts coming up on key players over the next couple of years, I just keep thinking "we need to knock this draft out of the park again" .. I guess I feel with another good draft, we could become Patiotesque, where we could trade players that are becoming too expensive due to good season and we have to balance the cap out.

I know..weird thinking tonight, maybe fatique is catching up with me after a long week
Wolf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #14
TexCanada
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 6655 TexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respectedTexCanada is a quality contributor and well respected

I think it all depends on our QB situation. We need improved QB play to contend for a superbowl. Simple as that.
TexCanada is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #15
BullBlitz
Section 331

Rep Power: 5859 BullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respectedBullBlitz is a quality contributor and well respected

I interpret the term "contenders" to mean that it is probable that we would likely be in contention for a certain title. In other words, while a lot of things are possible, only a subset of those are probable.

I think that we will be contenders for the AFCS Division Title.

I think that we are contenders for playoff spot, either by winning the AFCS or via wild card.

I don't believe that we are contenders for the AFC Title or the Super Bowl.
BullBlitz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #16
Seegara
Veteran

Rep Power: 4915 Seegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respectedSeegara is a quality contributor and well respected

Contenders for what? A playoff spot? Division championship? AFC championship? Superbowl win? Knowing would help me to vote.
Seegara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012   #17
The Medic01
Veteran

Just to clear it up i mean SB contenders.
Old 02-10-2012   #18
Scooter
Funky

Rep Power: 89797 Scooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respectedScooter is a quality contributor and well respected

it's all about health. if we take this team plus the 2012 draft into next season, we're not only contenders but favorites. foster, schaub, joseph, cushing, brown or any combination of starters is lost for extended time and we're back to the middle of the pack. our key starters are 24-28 years old, it's going to be a while longer before we're not only stout on both ends as we are now (and we are stacked), but also have backups who arent just out of their teens or new to the squad.
Old 02-10-2012   #19
HTown2ATX
TexansMetalhead

Rep Power: 56944 HTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respectedHTown2ATX is a quality contributor and well respected

Healthy yes and next year I just can't see so many.....nevermind....not going to go there......

Yes, if healthy.

Into black waves I am sinking,Drowning away from the ghosts,Disappearing into eternity,Into the mirror of my soul,The pounding sound is mesmerizing
HTown2ATX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012   #20
michaelm
vox nihili

Section: 648
Rep Power: 88794 michaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respectedmichaelm is a quality contributor and well respected

Based upon the information we have at this moment, I don't see how there can be any other answer than yes, of course they are contenders.
Things might change over the course of the off season, but the most recent information available is that the Houston Texans are a playoff team.
michaelm is offline   Reply With Quote

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read