Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQDonate Automatic Monthly Contribution Members List Mark Forums Read

Texans Talk Football talk only please. Keep it to the game, the players, the coaches and management.

View Poll Results: Realistically, will AJ get a yellow jacket based on his career to date
Yes 102 61.08%
No 65 38.92%
Voters: 167. You may not vote on this poll

Old 02-08-2012   #1
Maddict5
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 5500 Maddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respectedMaddict5 is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

We all love him and for a while there it seemed like he was destined for canton but when you see guys like carter and reed cant make it, does aj have a realistic shot at getting in esp with the way the league is getting pass happy and more wrs are putting up prolific numbers

carter: 1101 rec, 13,899 yds, 130 tds
aj: 706 rec, 9656 yds, 52 tds

tbh eventhough he should have a few good seasons left, i cant see him making it (as much as I want him to). imo his lack of tds will hurt him when its all time to make his case.....
Maddict5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #2
Thorn 
Dirty Old Man

Section: Restrained in the mental ward
Rep Power: 223945 Thorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respectedThorn is a quality contributor and well respected
Default Re: Realistically, is AJ going to the hall of fame??

From what he's done so far? No.

But he has the talent if he can keep it going without more injuries and the Texans win some playoff games WITH his help.

"Life is tough, but it's tougher when you're stupid." --- John Wayne
Thorn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #3
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maddict5 View Post
We all love him and for a while there it seemed like he was destined for canton but when you see guys like carter and reed cant make it, does aj have a realistic shot at getting in esp with the way the league is getting pass happy and more wrs are putting up prolific numbers

carter: 1101 rec, 13,899 yds, 130 tds
aj: 706 rec, 9656 yds, 52 tds

tbh eventhough he should have a few good seasons left, i cant see him making it (as much as I want him to). imo his lack of tds will hurt him when its all time to make his case.....
The argument can be made that he did most of that while spending 4 years with David Carr at QB.

I think Carter doesn't make it because of his past. Which sux because there are some punks in that HOF but because they played in New York etc....they get in.

IMO Andre is alot like Earl Campbell, he doesn't have quite the playoff success but he's got the stats that do not lie and great things happened for Earl because Earl did great things for others.
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #4
Texanmike02
Site Contributor

Rep Power: 82785 Texanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respectedTexanmike02 is a quality contributor and well respected

He wasn't just a game chagner, he was a gname changer. Yes he gets in. Ask Innegan.

Mike

Sig by False Start - Thanks man

Govern my country, NOT MY LIFE!
Texanmike02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #5
El Tejano
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 10969 El Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respectedEl Tejano is a quality contributor and well respected

We could also argue that AJ was on a team that had one of the worse offensive lines in history (QB is guilty for that too).
El Tejano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #6
IDEXAN
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 43308 IDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respectedIDEXAN is a quality contributor and well respected

Bet the bank on it !
AJ right now in his career is a marginal selection for the NFL HOF, but there's this little thing called politics, which is always with us. The thing is the Texans have now been in existance for 10 years and owner Bob McNair will put pressure on the league to admit the first member to the Hall from his franchise. And nobody else, present or past Texan player, is nearly as qualified as AJ.
I'm thinking that it's a 5 year waiting period after a player finishes his career before he's eligible for election to the HOF, so it will be 15 years + before the Texans have their first HOFamer. You can count on it, AJ goes in as soon as he's eligible.
IDEXAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #7
TheIronDuke
In BOB I Trust

Rep Power: 82834 TheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respectedTheIronDuke is a quality contributor and well respected

Maybe if he could actually put a couple of injury-free seasons together but I highly doubt that'll happen.
TheIronDuke is offline   Reply With Quote
Sponsored links
Old 02-08-2012   #8
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Section: Bull Pen!!
Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

You mean like 5 of his 9 seasons that he played all 16 games and in two of the 4 years that he didn't, he played in 13. He's only had two seasons that he missed major time. This past season and in 2007 missing 9 and 7 games respectively.

Thats not that bad for someone who plays as physically as AJ does. Ask that linebacker from Arizona and Innegan.
Old 02-08-2012   #9
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Love me some AJ, but no, he's not a HOFer at this point. If Chris Carter and Tim Brown can't make it in, how will AJ?

They both have over 100 TDs. AJ barely has over 50. His reception and yardage number should be on par after a few more seasons. But his TD numbers will never catch up to HOF type numbers. He'll have to kick ass in the yardage department in order to make it in, imo.

I'm in no way blaming AJ for the lack of TD production. We all know what he's had to deal with in his career
Old 02-08-2012   #10
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Rep Power: 108115 Texan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respectedTexan_Bill is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by HOU-TEX View Post
Love me some AJ, but no, he's not a HOFer at this point. If Chris Carter and Tim Brown can't make it in, how will AJ?

They both have over 100 TDs. AJ barely has over 50. His reception and yardage number should be on par after a few more seasons. But his TD numbers will never catch up to HOF type numbers. He'll have to kick ass in the yardage department in order to make it in, imo.

I'm in no way blaming AJ for the lack of TD production. We all know what he's had to deal with in his career
Don't..... Don't..... Don't say it!
Old 02-08-2012   #11
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Rep Power: 105157 HOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respectedHOU-TEX is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Don't..... Don't..... Don't say it!
Oooh trust me, I'm not. I get the rumbling feeling of a regurgitation when I think of those wasted years.
Old 02-08-2012   #12
TEXANRED
Texan-American

Rep Power: 44942 TEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respectedTEXANRED is a quality contributor and well respected

No. AJ is not in the top 25 in receptions. Also if Tim Brown (14th) and Cris Carter (3rd) are not in the hall of fame then you have to figure you are going to have to be better than those guys to make it in or have some rings like Michael Irving.

TEXANRED is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #13
TheCD
All Pro

Rep Power: 1036 TheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respectedTheCD is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:
Originally Posted by TEXANRED View Post
No. AJ is not in the top 25 in receptions. Also if Tim Brown (14th) and Cris Carter (3rd) are not in the hall of fame then you have to figure you are going to have to be better than those guys to make it in or have some rings like Michael Irving.
I think his case is marginal as of right now, as well. But let's not forget that he is currently the all-time leader in YPG. In my opion, that speaks volumes over his lack of TDs considering the offenses he has worked with in the past.

The downside I can see right now is that he didn't take over in the playoffs like Fitzgerald did. Voters are finniky and won't care who the QB was. These guys want "I am playing like they need to invent an even more competitive league" performances. That, and they're just stupid sometimes with their reasoning of why certain guys shouldn't get in.
TheCD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #14
Texan_Bill 
Subscribed Contributor

Quote:
Oooh trust me, I'm not. I get the rumbling feeling of a regurgitation when I think of those wasted years.
Old 02-08-2012   #15
Vinny
shiny happy fan

Rep Power: 154151 Vinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respectedVinny is a quality contributor and well respected

not if he keeps missing games. He's a shewbiedo in otherwise.

"A nation of sheep begets a government of wolves" - Edward R. Murrow
Vinny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #16
gary
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 33836 gary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respectedgary is a quality contributor and well respected
Send a message via AIM to gary

Fitzgerald had Warner and AJ had Yates.
Old 02-08-2012   #17
Double Barrel
Modified Simian

Section: Gridiron, Tx
Rep Power: 301240 Double Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respectedDouble Barrel is a quality contributor and well respected

Quote:

My thoughts, as well.

My heart says yes, but my mind says no. The HoF voters are clearly biased against WRs right now, and that trend will only continue as the NFL has changed rules to become a pass happy league. And if Chris Carter / Tim Brown are not in with their careers achieved before these pass-friendly revisions, I just don't see the voters giving AJ a pass.

And by the time AJ retires and waits his 5 years, there will most likely be a bottle-neck of WRs waiting to get in.

I hate to say it, but unless the HoF voters feel sorry for H-town (which is doubtful), I think AJ will have to wait a very long time to be inducted.
Old 02-08-2012   #18
IlliniJen
Hall of Fame

Rep Power: 151691 IlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respectedIlliniJen is a quality contributor and well respected

Not one year with double digit TDs...compared to the WRs of this era, he's not producing the numbers. WE know he's great, but he's been hamstrung by ****ty QBs, conservative offensive playcalling in the red zone and injuries. He'll need a few transcendent years of being the best WR in the league in order to get in, unfortunately.

"Fishing relaxes me. It's like yoga, except I get to kill something." - Ron Swanson
IlliniJen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #19
False Start
On # 69

Section: 420
Rep Power: 69312 False Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respectedFalse Start is a quality contributor and well respected

I really want to say yes, but I think it will take awhile. He will get the Chris Carter treatment.

RIP DIMEBAG DARRELL - 1966-2004 - GETCHA PULL!

CLIFF BURTON 1962-1986 - CLIFF EM' ALL!
WINTERFELL - BECAUSE STANNIS PUSHED IT
False Start is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012   #20
HOU-TEX 
Ah, Football!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Texan_Bill View Post
Yeah, a lot of that too!

Go Back   Houston Texans Message Board & Forum - TexansTalk.com > The Great Fans of the Houston Texans > Texans Talk
Home Forums Register FAQ Members List Calendar Mark Forums Read